gettingunstuck: 6 month mark

gettingunstuck

June 25th was the 6 month mark where I stopped Prozac completely. I'm glad I made it to this point! I have good days and bad, but this sounds normal.  I'm still trying to determine what the difference is between now, being off the ADs and probably still feeling withdrawal symptoms and back then, when I first went on the ADs.  For one thing, I'm so much more aware of how I think and feel, and how there's such a connection between thinking something, then feeling it.  For another thing, I'm trying to give myself a break and tell myself I don't have to feel good all the time, or pretend to feel good.  These are all good things.  The bad things are: inability to handle stressful situations or loss, feeling as if I'm quick to anger, and many, many regrets.  I'm looking forward to the next 6 months and hitting the 1 year mark, and will continue to read about other's experiences.

Edited by Karma
added member name to post

Getting Unstuck

1999 – Zoloft for about a year. Stopped cold turkey.

2003 – Lexapro for about 5 years. Tapered off slowly for about 3 months, then stopped.

2008 – Prozac for about 4 years. Tapered off slowly for about a year and stopped completely December 2012.

Hi gettingunstuck,

What a great accomplishment you have achieved. You need to be commended! I have been on AD for approximately 25 years. I just turned 50. I am currently on Viibryd a new SSRI, 40 mg the maximum dose, Abilify 1.8 mg and Adderall 10mg. I am excited about weaning off all of these meds, but am also concerned that maybe my brain won't be able to function after 25 years of being on this poison. I am involved in a 12 step program that has taught me coping skills and I am hoping that this is going to help me be able to cope with life without medication. I am currently slowly weaning off of Abilify. I just started 6 days ago. I just went from 2mg to 1.8mg and I will stay at this dose for 3-4 weeks before lowering my dose to 1.6mg. I have started taking vitamins and minerals and am going to try to change my diet. I also exercise. I will next wean off the Adderall and then Viibryd. I am thinking it will take me at least 1 year to wean off of all of these meds.

How do you feel? I feel like AD have made me apathetic for 25 years. I absolutely have no drive or ambition to do things, although I don't feel depressed or anxious. I start projects and don't complete them. I could care less if my house is clean or not. I do work as a nurse full time. I am hoping that after I wean off these meds that I will not be apathetic. I have lived 25 years apathetic and sit in my house most of the time when I am not working.

Do you feel like your life is better off of the meds?

No matter how many times the regrets come up, just say to yourself, "let it go". Try not to add to the original memory by dwelling on it and adding fantasies about how you could've handled it better, etc., etc.. Stop yourself at the originally memory-think about it for a few seconds, and then tell yourself "letting it go".

And going off into secondary thoughts about it doesn't help you "work through it" it only reinforces the old memory and makes it more likely to return again and again (even strengthening it). There's nothing to be gained by going over and over these old regrets-they're purely negative phenomenon and so can only hurt you, not to mention being a waste of time and energy.

So, again, when they pop up, recognize them for the useless things they are, accept them, tell yourself you're letting them go, and move on to other things. 

Also, it really helps if the thing you move on to immediately after a regret surfaces is something positive (noticing something beautiful or funny or complimentary to yourself, anything positive). These positive images, feelings or thoughts get stored in your brain right next to the old regret you just had and actually weaken its negative impact next time around. This really works.

You'll be amazed at how liberating this "letting go" feels.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Administrator

Hi gettingunstuck,

Sounds like you've done well so far.  Please let us know if you have any questions and congratulations on successfully tapering off of Prozac.

You might find some helpful information in this thread on symptoms and self care http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/.

Welcome to the community.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Moderator Emeritus

No matter how many times the regrets come up, just say to yourself, "let it go". Try not to add to the original memory by dwelling on it and adding fantasies about how you could've handled it better, etc., etc.. Stop yourself at the originally memory-think about it for a few seconds, and then tell yourself "letting it go".

And going off into secondary thoughts about it doesn't help you "work through it" it only reinforces the old memory and makes it more likely to return again and again (even strengthening it). There's nothing to be gained by going over and over these old regrets-they're purely negative phenomenon and so can only hurt you, not to mention being a waste of time and energy.

So, again, when they pop up, recognize them for the useless things they are, accept them, tell yourself you're letting them go, and move on to other things. 

Also, it really helps if the thing you move on to immediately after a regret surfaces is something positive (noticing something beautiful or funny or complimentary to yourself, anything positive). These positive images, feelings or thoughts get stored in your brain right next to the old regret you just had and actually weaken its negative impact next time around. This really works.

Great advice, Hudgens!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great advice, Hudgens!

I agree! Very good advice. I know this, but it's so easy to "forget" it, to fall back into old habits. Thanks for the reminder!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi gettingunstuck,

What a great accomplishment you have achieved. You need to be commended! I have been on AD for approximately 25 years. I just turned 50. I am currently on Viibryd a new SSRI, 40 mg the maximum dose, Abilify 1.8 mg and Adderall 10mg. I am excited about weaning off all of these meds, but am also concerned that maybe my brain won't be able to function after 25 years of being on this poison. I am involved in a 12 step program that has taught me coping skills and I am hoping that this is going to help me be able to cope with life without medication. I am currently slowly weaning off of Abilify. I just started 6 days ago. I just went from 2mg to 1.8mg and I will stay at this dose for 3-4 weeks before lowering my dose to 1.6mg. I have started taking vitamins and minerals and am going to try to change my diet. I also exercise. I will next wean off the Adderall and then Viibryd. I am thinking it will take me at least 1 year to wean off of all of these meds.

How do you feel? I feel like AD have made me apathetic for 25 years. I absolutely have no drive or ambition to do things, although I don't feel depressed or anxious. I start projects and don't complete them. I could care less if my house is clean or not. I do work as a nurse full time. I am hoping that after I wean off these meds that I will not be apathetic. I have lived 25 years apathetic and sit in my house most of the time when I am not working.

Hi Mel! 

I was on ADs and other meds for 20 years before beginning to taper off, and I'm 58 now and my brain is functioning better than it has in a very long time--both cognitively and in terms of getting back my original zest for life and my ability to connect with and enjoy other people. And we have other people here in their 50s and 60s who have gotten off meds and done well. So it's possible.

What I think is probably less possible is that after 25 years you'll be able to safely get off all your meds in a year. Especially with the age factored in (although I don't think I've met anyone this kind of pace has worked for at any age).

You may want to begin wrapping your mind around a multi-year process.  (Rule of thumb, a year per med, although it can take longer.)

Check out the thread "the slowness of slow tapers."

It's not as bad as it sounds, your dosages will go down and the effects of the drugs will decrease.  I think I still have another year to go before I'm off the AD but already I feel as if I were no longer on an AD, as far as the numbness and lack of motivation is concerned. (Not to mention sex life.)

I work in healthcare too, by the way, as a med lab tech.  Graveyards, actually. Love our nurses!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi gettingunstuck,

Hi Melphill,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things by taking the vitamins and minerals, changing your diet and exercising.  Personally, I think it's possible to come off of the meds and still get back to a normal state.  I'm not saying I'm there, yet.  I just get hopeful when I feel like I've hit a milestone and when I read posts from others.  So, congratulations to you for taking these steps!  I feel better off the meds in some respects.  My thinking isn't fuzzy, my digestion has improved, and I'm no longer dealing with some of the really unpleasant side effects that some doctors just don't seem to think are a big deal such as sweating, trembling, constipation, nerve pain, and I'm sure many others I'm forgetting. Physically, I'm feeling much, much better.  Emotionally, it's still a struggle.  I work on my thinking patterns daily and try to live in the present moment and stop thinking about the past or future.  I, too, feel apathetic.  And I still feel like my sense of humor is just not there, anymore.  All of these things I hope return.  But, they weren't that much better on the meds.  I may not have sad, but I really couldn't care less about stuff like cleaning the house, like you mentioned.  I do have to make an effort to go places, still, too.  I hope all this returns with time.  Good luck to you and I'm sending good thoughts your way!

Getting Unstuck

2003 – Lexapro for about 5 years. Tapered off slowly for about 3 months, then stopped.

2008 – Prozac for about 4 years. Tapered off slowly for about a year and stopped completely December 2012.

Thanks for the advice, Hugdens.  I know you're right that I need to let the regrets go, as well as the secondary thoughts.  This is going to be a big challenge for me, I think.  I feel like a big portion of my life has passed me by as being quite unremarkable, so that's when I start regreting.  But, like you said, it's time to move on.

Getting Unstuck

Hi gettingunstuck,

Sounds like you've done well so far.  Please let us know if you have any questions and congratulations on successfully tapering off of Prozac.

You might find some helpful information in this thread on symptoms and self care http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/.

Welcome to the community.

Thanks, Karma.  I will take a look at the link you posted. 

Getting Unstuck

Hi gettingunstuck,

Hi Mel! 

I was on ADs and other meds for 20 years before beginning to taper off, and I'm 58 now and my brain is functioning better than it has in a very long time--both cognitively and in terms of getting back my original zest for life and my ability to connect with and enjoy other people. And we have other people here in their 50s and 60s who have gotten off meds and done well. So it's possible.

What I think is probably less possible is that after 25 years you'll be able to safely get off all your meds in a year. Especially with the age factored in (although I don't think I've met anyone this kind of pace has worked for at any age).

You may want to begin wrapping your mind around a multi-year process.  (Rule of thumb, a year per med, although it can take longer.)

It's not as bad as it sounds, your dosages will go down and the effects of the drugs will decrease.  I think I still have another year to go before I'm off the AD but already I feel as if I were no longer on an AD, as far as the numbness and lack of motivation is concerned. (Not to mention sex life.)

I work in healthcare too, by the way, as a med lab tech.  Graveyards, actually. Love our nurses!

Yes, I wanted to mention, too, that it was a multi-year process for me as well.  I was at 20 mg of Prozac, and it took about 4 years to taper and go down to nothing.  If a situation in life arose that was difficult, I would stop the taper and stay where I was at.  I'm still waiting, too, for the libido to return.  Maybe part of it is due to being 53 and menopausal. I still have hopes that maybe someday I'll have a relationship with someone (physical relationship, too!)

Getting Unstuck

Hi gettingunstuck,

Hi Mel! 

Thanks so much for your positive reply! It gives me hope. Just thinking about taking 3 years to get off the meds that I am on is overwhelming. But I guess it beats protracted withdrawal!  I guess tapering off of meds at that rate poses less risk of permanent brain damage.

I can't wait for the sex life change! Right now I am uncomfortably numb! How do you wean down so precisely on the medications at such small doses if the medication does not come in a liquid form? I am using liquid Abilify, but don't know if my AD comes in liquid form.

How long have you been tapering your meds?

Hi gettingunstuck,

Hi Mel! 

Yes, I wanted to mention, too, that it was a multi-year process for me as well.  I was at 20 mg of Prozac, and it took about 4 years to taper and go down to nothing.  If a situation in life arose that was difficult, I would stop the taper and stay where I was at.  I'm still waiting, too, for the libido to return.  Maybe part of it is due to being 53 and menopausal. I still have hopes that maybe someday I'll have a relationship with someone (physical relationship, too!)

Are you completely off of you Prozac? How long has it been and how do you feel? At 53 hormones could be out of balance and your testosterone levels could be low. That could be the cause of your loss of libido at this point. I am on bioidentical hormones which helps. It is possible to find a new relationship. I just got remarried 4 years ago at age 46. My husband is very supportive of me getting off of these medications. I don't think I could do it if I didn't have his support.

I want to believe that the 50's can be great years for new beginnings!

Hi gettingunstuck,

Hi Mel! 

Are you completely off of you Prozac? How long has it been and how do you feel? At 53 hormones could be out of balance and your testosterone levels could be low. That could be the cause of your loss of libido at this point. I am on bioidentical hormones which helps. It is possible to find a new relationship. I just got remarried 4 years ago at age 46. My husband is very supportive of me getting off of these medications. I don't think I could do it if I didn't have his support.

I want to believe that the 50's can be great years for new beginnings!

That's good to hear.  I've given up hope of ever finding a relationship, let alone getting married.  I'm glad to hear that it's possible, even later in life!  I did have my hormones tested and I'm taking bioidentical estrogen and progesterone.  The doctor said my testosterone is low, but we're not going to add any at this time.  Since I'm not in a relationship, I don't think I actually want to mess with the testosterone and libido.  I'm glad you found a supportive husband to help you through this.  A support system is so important.  I've felt really on my own going through this.  I'm glad I found this site!

Getting Unstuck

• 4 weeks later...

I've been under quite a bit of stress lately and it seems as if I'm not dealing with it well. There has been an unusual amount of stress in my life lately, which I won't get into, here, as it would take a really long time to go through everything.  Also, I was taking 5 HTP as a replacement for the prozac, and realized it was making me feel pretty dragged down in the mornings.  I tried increasing it, thinking maybe it was losing its effectiveness, and the result was a feeling of agitation.  After discussing this with my accupuncturist, I decided to stop taking it.  He is treating me for depression and gave me some Chinese herbs.  So between the stress and switching from 5HTP to something else, I think I'm just really messing with some neurotransmitters.  What is going on in my brain/body?  Is it stress? Hormones? Or am I just one of those people who jumps into reactivity?

Getting Unstuck

Hi Gettingunstuck!

I haven't been around here too long, but I know that stress is a contributor to many health problems. It sounds like you just need to give yourself some time to level out. With the recent change in your supplement AND your added stress your body may just need some time to heal itself. Take it easy on yourself.

My intro link: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4644-whoami-i-hope-to-find-out/?p=57607

I've taken antidepressants since 1997. From 1997-1999~I tried wellbutrin, paxil, prozac, and maybe some others I can't remember. 1999-2009~Effexor XR 150mg. 2009-2010~Cymbalta 30mg. 2010-present~Cymbalta 60mg. (Dates are rough estimates.)

Began micro-taper Jul 13, 2013.

As of May 19, 2014 removing 94 beads from 60mg capsule, approx 31.8mg.

As of August 2014 removing 106 beads from 60mg capsule, approx 28.2mg.

As of July 2015 down to approx. 23mg. (20mg capsule + 10 beads from a 60mg capsule) + .5mg Ativan as needed for anxiety/panic/generally crappy anxious no good feelings.

Also taking:  Omega3; Magnesium; Vitamins D, E, & B12; Calcium; Estrace 2mg.

• Administrator

Gettingunstuck, I merged your topics. Only one Intro topic to a customer, please put your updates here.

Yes, you could have jolted your system by increasing and then quitting 5-HTP. It will take time for it to settle down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Gettingunstuck, I merged your topics. Only one Intro topic to a customer, please put your updates here.

Yes, you could have jolted your system by increasing and then quitting 5-HTP. It will take time for it to settle down.

Sorry, Altostrata. I'll be sure to post any more updates here.

Getting Unstuck

Hi Gettingunstuck!

I haven't been around here too long, but I know that stress is a contributor to many health problems. It sounds like you just need to give yourself some time to level out. With the recent change in your supplement AND your added stress your body may just need some time to heal itself. Take it easy on yourself.

Thanks WhoAmI, for your post. I'll keep reminding myself of this. It's just been a roller-coaster, but I should know after reading about so many experiences at this site, that it's going to be this way for awhile.

Getting Unstuck