The conversation has begun! NAMI has Robert Whitaker speak at convention. NAMI member responds… http://wp.me/p5nnb-9p3

GiaK

Thanks, I have been closely following the coverage and read Kathy's account.  I tried to post a comment but am totally confused by the log in procedures.   Anyway, I am glad you cautioned that tapering needs to be done slowly.

I still have to pinch myself that this dialogue is occurring. But it really is and that is fantastic.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

This is very cool!

I hope that those of us on this side of the discussion need to be ready with thorough, accurate information and clear, reasonable ways to improve the mental health system. This is in no way a black and white issue; it is incredibly complex and personalized.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

I'm so excited to see this. When I involved my family doctor in my psychiatry care, she said many doctors are moving towards prescribing less meds and treating mental health from a more holistic perspective. Please let them listen and understand that each of us is different and need careful and tailored care. I'm so proud of the people speaking up and proud of the people listening with open minds. It can be better. It will be better.

Remeron - off since July 2013
Lamictal- 50 and holding

klonopin- .125  June 26, 2013 tapering by .01 every 5-7 days

.065 August 11, 2013

I was involved with a NAMI satellite group that was very pro-psychiatric model and I still get mail from the group. When I first got on the mailing list the adminsitrators delivered the party line and tolerated no dissent. Is a mental illness syndromes specific biological things with corresponding, effective and generally-safe pharmacolgical treatment? What color is the sky? Blue, next question.

I have noticed that overtime the tone has really shifted to much more tolerance towards dissent from the party line and openness to altneratives.

This group, is funded by the local NAMI chapter and was founded by a NAMI employee (now a board member)...

I personally don't think NAMI is near the place where they can actually help me or people in my situation. However it'd be nice if they stopped advocating for the poisoning of their membership. We'll have to see about that. I remain pretty doubtful about the situation in my town as I read a recent annual report and saw that about 50% of the total operating budget came from donations from a handful of multi-national pharmaceutical giants.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I read the blog post and most of the comments at Kathy Brandt and feel ahorrible sadness. It is hard to get back in time to when i thought i 'needed' antipsychotics. as lousy as things have been since coming off the drugs, I rarely think back to my drugged years because it remains too upsetting and unfathomable.

I am really angry about my life and sad for people who are unaware of the information that I possess -- learned from people like Whitaker. It's very overhelming. I forget often that there are 3 groups of people. Group1: People who don't think about antispychotics much at all. 2. People who think they are miracle drugs for their loved one or self 3. People who started in Group 1 then spent a long time in Group2 and now feel alienated from everyone except other members of Group 3. And group 3 is very very small.

Sadness. Darkness.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Group1: People who don't think about antispychotics much at all. 2. People who think they are miracle drugs for their loved one or self 3. People who started in Group 1 then spent a long time in Group2 and now feel alienated from everyone except other members of Group 3. And group 3 is very very small.

And group 3 needs to be the spark that creates a group 4--people who will encounter what we now call mental illness but will receive compassionate, empowering care for their emotional needs, a group that won't be told their different and then asked to sit quietly accepting their lot.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

To be fair, when I was on meds, if anyone questioned them like we do on this site, I would get very upset. Still not sure why I did but it defnitely happened.  Maybe I felt threatened that what I was doing might not be working and in fact could be harmful.

Anyway, I try to keep that in mind when reading posts from people who get so upset with Whitaker.

Also, in all fairness, if a relative has seen someone's functioning be horrible and then greatlly improve with antipsychotics, it is understandable that they would find what Whitaker has to say to be threatening. They feel like they are in a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation.  I think we all can relate to that.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

The more info that is out there the better. At one time I thought psyche drugs were helping (on 6 drugs I couldn't really think) but in fact they almost killed me (literally--Seroquel induced pancreatitis) and the terrible side effects my pdoc simply ignored. I did walk away from it all injured but hopeful. One particular comment that stood out to me was about being branded and how having a psychiatric diagnosis was permanent. No one who hasn't experienced being poly drugged and wrongly labeled can not understand. I have a sibling who is a psychologist and they still don't "get it" that these drugs are highly dangerous.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy