SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Brussel Sprouts

alexjuice

I cooked a brussel sprouts and chicken yesterday and got really tired so ate that combo for a couple of meals. I noticed afterwards that I had an extreme racing heartbeat and other symptoms like joint pain which I think were caused by the brussel sprouts. Has anyone noticed a sensitivity to brussel sprouts?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Do you get these symptoms after eating other cruciferous vegetables?

Some people find cruciferous vegetables affect benzodiazepine metabolism in the body. It doesn't affect everyone, and doesn't seem to be affected by whicih benzo (that I'm aware of). Seems to be genetic differences, I'm told.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Good question. I don't think so but I might. I ate a lot of brussel sprouts because that's all I had cooked and available. Maybe I don't usually eat so many of any one vegetable in one sitting?

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi alexjice,

I've read quite a few accounts of people who are tapering benzos who have had reactions such as the one you describe and recommending staying away from cruciferous vegetables.

Something to do with the detox effect they have interfering with levels of benzos on the body?

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• 2 months later...

You actually enjoy brussel sprouts? Its the flavour intensity of an entire cabbage into one mouthful.

I think everyone on a sub-conscious level hates brussel sprouts. Its only after a few drinks at Christmas that you have the courage to try one. 

By far the worst is parsnips though-Hidden in with the roast potatoes. Take a bite out of one and your left their wondering 'Hang on, who put honey on that roast potato- . . . ?

And then the sickening truth sinks in that you have been deceived.

And I'm sat their thinking 'yeah you laugh it up Grandma, be hilarious when I spike your turkey stuffing with arsenic this time next year' 

Too far? Thought so haha

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

Hah! Yea, I do like brussel sprouts though I can see how others wouldn't take to the taste. Like the avocado or the beer, I'd say. Still... that's funny

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

You actually enjoy brussel sprouts? Its the flavour intensity of an entire cabbage into one mouthful.

I think everyone on a sub-conscious level hates brussel sprouts. Its only after a few drinks at Christmas that you have the courage to try one. 

By far the worst is parsnips though-Hidden in with the roast potatoes. Take a bite out of one and your left their wondering 'Hang on, who put honey on that roast potato- . . . ?

I LOVE brussels sprouts, and to die for parsnips.  My biggest Thanksgiving treat.. at least for the main meal. But I have to confess.. turnips are my downfall... they are one of the only veggies I avoid. Oh well... no accountin for.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Unfortunately us British don't have the pleasure of experiencing Thanksgiving-Just Christmas day really.

I think my favourite thing about Christmas, is picking up the present my dad got me-going up to him squeezing him hard by the shoulder looking at him directly and say in a  menacing manner ‘I hope that wasn’t my main present'.

Should see the look of desperation in his eyes.

Puts him on edge the whole day.

hahaha

But when I became a man,

That was a joke by the way hahahaha

But when I became a man,

• 1 month later...

I'm actually going to have to retract my judgement on brussel sprouts... My mum cooked them today with Garlic and butter sauce. Have been officially converted.

But when I became a man,

• Moderator Emeritus

I love brussel sprouts, and roast parsnips, turnip, like white cabbage but HATE spinach, YUK. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy