Rhiannon

Thoughts of suicide

AliG

I agree, degen, when your favourite music comes on and you're like - "don't care' . Then you know something's wrong!

JanCarol

Interesting article here:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/suicide-rates-rise-researchers-separate-thoughts-actions?tgt=nr

discusses the importance of 

1.  Hopelessness, lack of support or feelings of burdonsomeness

2.  Low levels of pain or no fear of pain (especially in our soldiers who are conditioned to this)

and 

3.  Access to means of fatality

as prime factors in suicides.

What I like best about the article is it discusses the difference between thoughts and talk of suicide, and the act itself - almost revolutionary how it does that.  It's about more than the thoughts.

Jetan

This morning I woke up and tried to kill myself. I hanged myself from a rafter in my room. I started to black out and pass out and then I pulled back. It freaked me out. I don't know what to do. I can't tell anyone because they'll put me in a mental hospital. I just want help to get out of this. I know that you've heard all of it before.... I hate myself, I am a piece of ****, I deserve to die because I am a bad person. I am worthless, etc..  I have no friends and no love. I am getting old and am alone. I don't have a job or a career. I am desperate... I don't know what to do and I need to understand what to do now. I think that my life is over. I know that other people feel like me and that I am not alone. What do you do when you are like this? Can someone find a way to take the time to advise me on how to cope with this? Please, please help me. I really need to get through this. I know you know what to do. Please help.

Thank you so much...

Edited by KarenB
merged topics

herewego

Are you sleeping ok every night?

You might want to consider counselling. When I was young I considered suicide and made an appointment with a counselor - just making the appointment helped me feel better - I could hang on until I talked to the counselor about the things in my life that were hard for me. I didn't tell her I had been thinking about suicide for the same reason as you. The counselling really helped.

If you can't afford a counselor you could check with a large church nearby that has a good reputation in the community. Some of them have counselors and you could explain your finances - at the very least if there is no qualified counselor available you could talk to the pastor in charge of pastoral care - they often do counselling and it is free and they usually have training but not to the level of a counselor with a masters obviously. Ask if you could talk every couple weeks. Perhaps explain you have been thinking about suicide but won't act on it so no one commits you. Having someone listen who could point out different options for you and maybe make some caring suggestions may help you. A lot of churches also have support groups where you can connect with others going thru hard times. My husband was part of one for awhile and it was very helpful for him to talk with other men going through difficulties.

I am thinking no one has responded to you yet because it is scary to offer advice knowing where you are at and they may feel unqualified, or that they don't know your situation enough to offer advice but they certainly do care.

All the best,

herewego

herewego

One more thing - most churches are closed on Monday so you may need to hold on till Tuesday to call one if that is what you decide to do.

Ibid

I used to work on a suicide prevention hotline. Counselors are usually quite well-trained and empathetic. And they're certainly able to refer you to the best source(s) of help. Your concern about being forced into a hospital is something a suicide counselor can help you with. Most important, they will not rat you out to the authorities.

Here's a link to the suicide crisis service for the central coast: http://fsa-cc.org/suicide-prevention-service/.

Here is phone information: 

24-Hour Suicide Crisis Line
Toll-free: 1-877-663-5433 (ONE LIFE)
Local: 831-458-5300
Serving Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties

Good luck, Jetan. There's plenty of help out there. Don't feel alone!

SquirrellyGirl

Jetan, this is very serious stuff and this forum is not equipped to help people who are immediately at risk.  Please call a suicide helpline if you find yourself there again, or 911.  Thank you, Ibid, for providing that information.

We need to know more about your situation, Jetan.  Are you in withdrawal from a psych med or tapering?  Please start an Intro for yourself here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org.  Read the stickies at the top of the forum and fill out your signature block with your med history:   Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Withdrawal can lead to suicidal ideation and the dark feelings you expressed, and if you stopped a med cold turkey or tapered too fast, a very small reinstatement can bring vast relief.  So please, start an Intro and give us all the details of what is going on with you now, your med history, etc. so that we can better advise you and get you feeling better.

I felt about as bad as you a bit over a year ago when I was in protracted withdrawal from Effexor, though I didn't actually try to suicide.  But I can joyfully say that I don't feel that way today!  So please, give yourself this chance.

SG

herewego

You may have already noticed this, but 3 posts above yours and 7 from the top, in Symptoms and Self Care there is a post titled 'for those who are feeling desperate or suicidal'. You could check that out too for some encouragement for your situation.

all the best.