Pharmacy policy changes ~ difficulties getting scripts filled

Barbarannamated

Is anyone else having difficulties getting prescriptions filled due to policy changes at pharmacies? I have discussed my ongoing problems with CVS and mistakes on most scripts. I've taken my business to Rite Aid who seem to be slightly better, but now refuse to fill a prescription for Klonopin without having a diagnosis on file. I've never had this questioned before. My doctor refuses to give them this information because it is not required by law and breeches privacy issues. I have taken 1mg qhs for bruxism since 1995 and do not care if he gives them this info, but he won't change his policy to suit the pharmacy's new policy (NOT a law). My husband is headed to the pharmacy today armed with pharmacy law / prescription requirements to speak with the head pharmacist who has been very helpful in transferring my scripts from CVS. He's been off work for the past few days that I've been battling this.

I am incredibly frustrated and do not have the energy to fight this. I am not exaggerating when I say that it's taking 3-5 phone calls and emails to get one prescription filled. My doctor's office IS difficult to get through to at times and I that's been a contributing factor in past but is not this time. I don't have the energy to find a new doctor right now. He has been my interventional pain management doc for 10+ years. He is very reputable, President of Orange County Medical Society, on national boards for interventional pain management.... all of which proves nothing but is my way of saying he's not running a pill mill. My old psychiatrist, on the other hand, is a gross over prescriber with several violations. His scripts were never challenged at pharmacy level.

Thanks for any feedback. Not sure if I posted in correct area. Please feel free to relocate.

EDIT TO ADD: Just spoke with pharmacy manager who seems to have no knowledge of policy. Waiting on callback.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Wow Barb.

If they continue to give you a hard time filling the prescription, I might ask to speak to a district manager and explain it isn't a good idea to breach privacy laws.  You may not care this time about giving a diagnosis but you could in the future and this is not a good precedent to set.

If you continue to have problems, is there a Costco nearby?  I filled a prescription for ambien without any difficulties.

Hugs.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Thanks, CS. You are absolutely right about giving private info. This latest incident stunned me and REALLY got husband fired up. He sees a lot of overprescribing and knows pharmacy and DEA rules due to his own work and is livid at how I ~ and he by extension ~ are being needlessly jerked around. He and my doctor are distant associates and have never seen anyone experience this. I feel like I have a red flag on my chart or something.

The lead pharmacist called back, reiterated what happened and said he couldn't do anything since the issue had already gone above his head...that "I'd" have to give him the diagnosis. I told him I did give it to the other pharmacist who said that wasn't enough...they said they had to hear it from doctor. I repeated that I take Klonopin for bruxism, have taken same since 1995 and have had it filled at other RiteAids (he saw it in my file). He replied "ok. I'll get that ready for you". So, this is settled for this month, but why am I being repeatedly harassed by pharmacies? I can't help but wonder if my PHI is somehow coming into play. I was coerced by psychiatry to go into that horrid detox program that CTd the Klonopin and opiate and sent me into a tailspin in 2008.

I understand why so many people procure drugs via alternate / illegal channels.

PS. I knew "breeched" didnt look right.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hi Barb,

Whatever the reason is, it needs to end.   When you feel up to it, you might want to contact a district manager about the privacy instrusion concerns.

Psychiatry has sadly given alot of people many "gifts" and the one you were provided sounds horrible.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

With all you have on your plate this just doesn't seem fair. The big 'WTF' sign in my head is flashing like crazy. And you're right, with administrative idiocy like this I'd be tempted towards 'other' channels.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.