BentBuddha

Ashwagandha herb for anxiety, stress and toxic overload

primrose

I've just taken two ashwaganhda capsules.

I should be feeling better in about 30-40 mins hopefully.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Ayurveda is good, right? I can't make out from the information I found in a short search if this is a 'safe' supplement or not or that it really does what it says it does. Some sources advise caution (web md).

I was taken aback when I read this in the footnotes in the wiki entry for 'Ayurveda':

"From time to time, even the most prestigious science journals publish erroneous or fraudulent data, unjustified conclusions, and sometimes balderdash. Balderdash was the right word when The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published the article, "Maharishi Ayur-Veda: Modern Insights Into Ancient Medicine," in its May 22/29 issue. Discovering that they had been deceived by the article's authors, the editors published a correction in the August 14 issue, which was followed on October 2 by a six-page expose on the people who had hoodwinked them."

I am glad I do not take any supplements at this time.

GiaK

I used to take ashwaganda daily...it's one of many supplements that went south on me...it's now agitating and very unpleasant...just FYI

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Thanks for the heads up, GiaK. I am really spooked about supplements and the whole marketing of them. I said somewhere before, they are not benign and innocuous (for me, anyway).

Barbarannamated

Ayurveda is good, right? I can't make out from the information I found in a short search if this is a 'safe' supplement or not or that it really does what it says it does. Some sources advise caution (web md).I was taken aback when I read this in the footnotes in the wiki entry for 'Ayurveda':

"From time to time, even the most prestigious science journals publish erroneous or fraudulent data, unjustified conclusions, and sometimes balderdash. Balderdash was the right word when The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) published the article, "Maharishi Ayur-Veda: Modern Insights Into Ancient Medicine," in its May 22/29 issue. Discovering that they had been deceived by the article's authors, the editors published a correction in the August 14 issue, which was followed on October 2 by a six-page expose on the people who had hoodwinked them."

CW, The above statement applies to most of what is published ~ or selectively NON-published ~ in *prestigious* journals. They are funded by pharma; the layers of deception, bias and manipulation are deep. There are a few journals that do not accept advertising, but the ones thought to be reputable and prestigious are heavily influenced by drug industry. This selective publication takes place after clinical trial information is buried in various ways, so the info that actually filters through to prescribers is very skewed. Very disturbing, especially to those who worked in healthcare and trusted the *reputable* sources. Sorry for the tangent. There are several threads that address this issue but thought I'd mention.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Yep, my point exactly. My mamma gave me @spirin when I had a fever, not this 'ayurvedic' herb which may or may not be contaminated with heavy metals and cause CNS sedation. My brain hurt when I read the purported study done by the MANUFACTURERS of it. Looked like a study, sounded like a study, had all the proper 'wording', citations, etc., but smelled like fish to me.

But I did not want to rain on anyone's ayurvedic parade.

BentBuddha

Ayurveda has been around for thousands of years. It is a person by person specific health treatment. Not a one size fits all like our western medicine approach. It has to do with ppls body compositions and how we're all different. One herb will be healing for one person, but detrimental for another. Deepak Chorpa i believe made it famous but I heard of it before that and even had some consultations. It's more about bringing balance to the body rather than addressing say an SSRI injury. We have modern day illnesses and injuries that I don't believe are suited to Ayurveda. Like I had gut dysbiosis due to being born via c-section so that set off a chain reaction in my body of poor health. Ayurveda wouldn't have been able to diagnose that and treat it as thousands of years ago they didn't have c-sections and the gut bacteria inbalances that creates. Many vegetarian type foods would have made it worse.  Rice, potatoes, wheat etc.

It's not the holy grail of health treatments but I think it does deserve respect that for ppl with general old school health probs, it is effective in bringing back good health. It's treatments are yoga postures, detox, massage, diet and meditations. All specific to individuals.

bb

GiaK

ayurvedic medicine is a great modality...and these sorts of herbs have all sorts of wonderful applications...I had no intention to imply otherwise when I told my story...

my sensitivities like many of us here are odd and not at all typical of most people who could totally benefit from such medicine...

I would choose ayurvedic over western medicine for  most things.

like with all things they need to be used appropriately and responsibly. 

Altostrata

LIke everything else, use with care. Try very small amounts first to see how it affects a nervous system that might be sensitized.

GiaK

adaptogens can be helpful and were for me early on in the game...I now react to all of them...badly.

If you're going to try it start with a fraction of the amount recommended...especially if you have issues with hypersensitivity. 

oskcajga

I've just taken two ashwaganhda capsules.

I should be feeling better in about 30-40 mins hopefully.

I guess Primrose never returned from the Ashwagandha experience :)

Petunia

I got some of this a couple of weeks ago because someone said it really helped with their cortisol mornings, but I've been too scared to try it, haven't even opened the bottle. The name sounds scary to me.

I'm experimenting with L-theanine at the moment, so the ashwaganda will have to wait a while.

JanCarol

Ayurveda is good, right? I can't make out from the information I found in a short search if this is a 'safe' supplement or not or that it really does what it says it does. Some sources advise caution (web md).

I was taken aback when I read this in the footnotes in the wiki entry for 'Ayurveda':

CW - there was specific fraud committed by the brand of Maharishi Ayur-Veda.  They got publication in JAMA based on fraudulent information, and the "peer review" was by Maharishi doctors (so not independant).  Huge conflicts of interest.  This happens frequently around "guru brands."  

For example, while Deepak Chopra has been an excellent educator on Ayurvedic practice - teaching the 3 doshas, eliminating amma (the coating on your tongue) and diet and seasons for each dosha combination, his products are marginal and also fraudulent.

The meditation practices of both Maharishi and Deepak are also somewhat bogus.

ANY meditation can work for some people some of the time.  But these are expensive processes designed to sell fear, take financial energy from the fearful, and put it in the pockets of the designer of the technique.

Actual ayurvedic practioners will say that Maharishi is "ayurveda light"  There was a fellow - Vasant Ladd? That I used to read to learn more.  That was decades ago now, and while I incorporate some ayurveda into my health regime - it is as ancient and mysterious as Traditional Chinese Medicine - there are some things that - while I know it would be good for me - I just find too difficult to do.

For example, my body type is Kapha-vata.  Water, earth + wind.  I am supposed to eat all astringent foods, I am supposed to arise at 4 am and start my day with 20 minutes of yoga, 20 minutes of meditation, and then some vigorous exercise before breakfast.  That is part of the ayurvedic prescription for me.  It sounds great, and would probably feel good - if I could maintain it for more than a week.

It just feels "cruel," and when you couple it with the abuse I received at the hands of a yogi/guru type - well.  I'm not going there.

Ashwaganda - is great.  I take it, just not all the time.  There are a few adaptogenic herbs - I alternate between them.  I think I prefer the Ashwaganda to the Bacopa (also ayurvedic?) or Rhodioloa (TCM) or Maca (South American).  But I switch between them to save money, and to get a clearer trial of how they are.  I think Ashwaganda is my favorite, followed by Maca, then Bacopa, then Rhodiola (which is a little too activating).

So Ayurveda is not a rort, or quackery - just an ancient healing tradition.   Maharishi "Ayurveda" or Deepak Chopra "Ayurveda" and general "brand names" are often money making prospects - as are the meditation practices which go with them.  Chances are, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Happy2Heal

I am experiencing rapid severe and sudden hair loss, at least half of my hair has fallen out

my dr is useless and triggers my PTSD so I googled and came up with the most likely cause being telogen effluvium

in one of the videos about hair loss it mentions taking this stuff Ashwaganda to help with cortisol issues

anyone tried this?

does it work?

I'm getting desperate, my hair loss had slowed down for about a week or so but now it's coming out at lot again

I look horrible and I hate going out, I don't know what to do with this tiny bit of hair I have left, I just put it up on the back of my head but it's really gotten obvious that I have lost a lot of hair

it also gets very greasy about half way thru the day! I was going to try to avoid washing it every day, but I have to wash it daily because it's just a matted greasy mess at the end of the day

I hate this! I am trying to stay calm but it's not easy when you're basically going bald

while WD is probably part of the reason for this, the fact that I had pneumonia and lost 15 lbs very quickly from not being able to eat for several weeks, is probably what brought on this condition

I have had much worse stresses in my life and never lost my hair but i guess the combo of withdrawal and pneumonia/rapid wt loss scared my hair right off my head

help?

Edited by KarenB
merged topics

Junglechicken

My psych doc said that stress and anxiety can cause hair loss.

He also said that it will grow back.....like many WD related symptoms, once the body gets back its equilibrium, then this alarming kind of thing will just stop.

I don't know anything about Ashwaganda helping with hair re-growth, but I have also experienced significant hair loss myself, and I didn't have much hair to begin with.

It could be worth seeing a naturopath or nutritionist, who could get you back on track by advising re: how to restore any nutrients lost during your short illness when you couldn't eat much. This may have played a part.

Keep us posted.....

Bluebird2009

adaptogens can be helpful and were for me early on in the game...I now react to all of them...badly.

If you're going to try it start with a fraction of the amount recommended...especially if you have issues with hypersensitivity.

Hi GiaK, can I ask when you had hypersensitivity to meds, if you took an infection how did you treat it? Thanks

Lorin

who can recomend for 

ashwagandha for anixty
who try it?

Daisies24

who can recomend for 

ashwagandha for anixty

who try it?

Hi Lorin,

I took Ashwagandha for a few weeks near the end of last year. After about 2 weeks of taking it, I began to feel more calm, and my sleep improved a little. However, I developed an allergic reaction to it and had to quit taking it. 

Gridley

Ashwaganda was paradoxical for me--caused anxiety.

JanCarol

This just in from Consumer Labs - 

They only tested 9 brands of Ashwaganda.  There were a lot of impressive clinical trials with it - including for inflammation, memory, fatigue, etc.

Of the 9 tested brands, only 3 passed.  67% of all brands tested, failed.

The 3 brands which passed (contained what they said they did, and were not adulterated), were:

Solaray

Pure Encapsulations

and a brand from Vitamin Shoppe called "pint"

This is not to say that they tested every brand, just that the sample they picked did not produce good results.  They try to pick the most common brands, but sometimes there is a local difference, too.

JanCarol

More news from Consumer Labs:  a study in India showed that 600 mg Ashwaganda daily for 3 months improved thyroid performance in hypothyroidism.  TSH dropped, and T3 and T4 increased with this herbal treatment.

JackieDecides
On 5/3/2017 at 6:20 AM, JanCarol said:

This just in from Consumer Labs - 

They only tested 9 brands of Ashwaganda.  There were a lot of impressive clinical trials with it - including for inflammation, memory, fatigue, etc.

Of the 9 tested brands, only 3 passed.  67% of all brands tested, failed.

thank you for posting this as I have many, many supplements and Ashwaganda is one of them. I have the True Veda brand but don't find anything when I search on it at consumer labs...? 

I know I need to stop taking new and more pills and just cut back to a couple and only add stuff one at a time as the good people here suggest. but I can't help feeling "I paid for this, it's a waste not to take it" 🙄

JanCarol

@JackieDecides  If you can't find your brand on Consumer Labs, and you are concerned about potency, then choose one of the brands which are on the list.

Consumer Labs has revised their Ashwaganda report.  They said that 3 cases in Iceland with NOW brand Ashwaganda (the one I use) have resulted in liver injury and elevated enzymes.  2 cases in the USA, one with NOW, one with Nature's Plus.

It is now not recommended for people with liver disease.  I'll be tapering off it, not because I have liver disease specifically, but that I have fatty liver, and was on enough drugs that my liver is probably not happy with me.  Many of us are probably in this boat, as a lot of the drugs are metabolised in the liver.

It is also not recommended for people with kidney disease, so I'm definitely coming off it, since my kidneys have not been the same since lithium.

Consumer Labs emphasises that these cases are rare, but they err on the side of caution.

In general, the fewer supplements you can take, the better.