Sign in to follow this  
alexjuice

L-ornithine for sleep

alexjuice

Took ornithine last night and I was knocked out. For the first time in a long, long time I woke up and was woozy with tired. I took it as part of a parasite protocol and was very impressed with the sleep benefits..

Here are a couple of links on the amino acid l'ornithine and sleep:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/542405-ornithine-for-sleep/

http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/index.php?threads/sleeping-like-a-rock-with-l-ornithine-amino-acid.97360/

Alex

alex

Alex, how much are you taking? What do you mean "knocked out? You slept through the night?? Please keep us updated.

alexjuice

I don't usually have trouble sleeping through the night, though lately I've been waking up a little more frequently and  having to try to fall back to sleep. Largely my problem, in the sleep area, has been not being able to fall asleep in the first place.

I took 1/2 of a 500mg l'ornithine or 250mg and became very drowsy and then fell asleep and slept well. When I woke up for good -- I did wake up once after 5 hours -- I was a little bit hungover and it took a bit effort to unroll from the covers which was actually itself a good feeling as I'm more often met by anxiety adn panicked waking.

alex

Ok, thank you Alex.

I can fall asleep, but I wake up several times through the night.

I tapered off 12.5mg Seroquel about 3 weeks ago, and even though my sleep hasn't got worse.

Still very broken, but I feel it more natural.

I don't have the anxiety or panic feeling anymore...Hoping it gets better for you in this area too.

I'm holding 0.25 Xanax and tapering very slowly.My goal is to get med. free and let the w/d to unfold in the most natural way possible.

Altostrata

alexejice, are you still using ornithine? Does it upset your stomach at all?

Rhi mentioned she's tried it and it seems to help for sleep.

alexjuice

Alto-

I haven't unpacked it yet so don't have any more info. I forgot about it actually, probably because I've been sleeping somewhat better. I may trial it against another amino supp which might work in a similar way...

When I couldn't sleep in maine it definitely helped me, the ornithine that is...

Altostrata

alex, how are you doing with the ornithine?

alexjuice

Still using it but not every night. It does help with sleep and anxiety but I sometimes feel it makes other things worse. I wouldn't be surprised if it was proviral like l'arginine -- I suppose I should google.

Do you get any relief w/ it?

Nadia

Hmm... I used to take l-arginine and it helped somewhat, but I get cold sores from it. Maybe the trick is to change it up.

alexjuice

Arginine is pretty infamous for flaring cold sore viral outbreaks. That's reason enough to avoid arginine. Ornithine doesn't seem to have the same reputation. For some reason though I don't test to it much -- I muscle test myself to supps. I still take it but I don't love it for whatever reason. Sure wipes me out though.

if you try it Nadia, post your experience. Ornithine is inexpensive and sold in health and nutrition stores and Sprouts carries it here and probably Whole Foods.