SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Program Compelling Outpatient Treatment for Mental Illness Is Working, Study Says

Finn

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/30/us/program-compelling-outpatient-treatment-for-mental-illness-is-working-study-says.html?pagewanted=1&hpw&_r=0

When I read this, I hear: what's the cheapest way to stop the crazies from getting in the way? Of course that is force them onto medications and shove them in some corner where they won't cause trouble. It's so dehumanizing...

Since antipsychotic use doesn't correlate with better functional outcomes, there's no way this program could help people functionally recover. (Although to be fair, it seems NY's program at least might offer services behind simply forced medication, which might explain some better outcomes). Yeah, it might reduce arrests and save the state money, but people suffering from mental illness are citizens, not a problem that needs to be dealt with. It's always ABOUT US, never with us. I will believe the program is a success when we have un-coerced testimony from those in the treatment about how it is helping them.

Tell the whole story, NYT, not just what society wants to hear.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Just saw the article briefly and once again, the press doesn't tell both sides of the story, particulary when Assisted Outpatient Treatment is involved. And you notice that the common demoninator of all these folks who end up on forced treatment is they keep cold turkeying their meds.

Of course, I am speculating without knowing the whole story but my guess is the dose is too high initially which is causing horrific side effects. Folks would do better on a much lower dose as alot of research has indicated.

And doctors aren't providing an environment in which people can discuss their concerns about taking meds. Hey, this person is too crazy to discuss the issues in an intelligent manner.

God, I hate what our society has become.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Not necessarily connected but I take that the medication-no medication debate seems to always be framed (especially by the pro-psychiatry folks) as a black and white issue. A lot of us who are skeptical of medication just want people to realize people are being over-drugged, are having their sense of self and agency destroyed, their dreams and existences diminished, etc-- you know what I mean. We want our voices heard, and we want a chance for a real recovery!

I want to be a mental health advocate, and part of this for me figuring out a real alternative to our current treatment methods. Like what actually helps people recover and lead full lives-- not just what gets people out of society's hair.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy