SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DJones: Celexa kindling reaction

Djones1984

So this windows and waves thing. I was functional and now I am really in a very bad wave after all this time it just doesent make since 5 years after going off and having reaction to being totally off the ssri for 1.5 years and not being this bad when I came off to where I am now. I don’t really get this wave of symptoms that almost feels like the cold turkey reaction I had in the beginning. Do you get worse than in the beginning 1.5years after tapering? 

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djones1984

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen this?  

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

No I have not that was pretty interesting just stlll doesent make since to me. I was thinking it was the Valium but I don’t reslly think it was because it happened overnight kind of.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

• Administrator

Dj, what times of day do you take your drugs, and their dosages?

We've asked many times that you keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages, but I don't see any sign that you've done this. We ask for this information because it is important.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I take 25mg of lamictal and 5mg of Valium at 7am and take Valium 5mg at 7pm.

I wake up with very bad anxiety sort of akathesia in the morning stays for about an hour than some relief from Valium or whatever.

10am usually symptoms creep up again and stay to varing degrees throughout the day, akathesia, anxiety, depersonalization, terror, intrusive thoughts and the list goes on. 

5-7pm I am symptoms are bad.

Usually the nighttime time is a little more manageable but lately been getting a little rough at 10pm or when I try to go to bed I get panic and nerve pain throughout the day.

when I started to taper the Valium again I got worse but there was Like a 3 month delay on that so I am not even sure that’s what caused the destabilization. Last 3 weeks have been very bad again.

Thanks alto

Oh and I am getting nausea again which I haven’t had since beginning at various times.

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd divide the lamotrigine dose, take half in the morning and half 12 hours later, see what that does.

Make this change by moving half a tablet an hour or two later each day until you've got it on a later schedule.

Queasiness can be a side effect of lamotrigine. It indicates you're taking too much at once.

Lamotrigine has a short half-life and is often taken twice a day. Dividing the dose might have a number of benefits.  It could be that smaller doses twice a day are more effective in calming your nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok I will try this. Any other idea why I am so bad off now or is it normal to go this far backwards. Trying to keep the faith but this wave or whatever is going on is not helping.

will i heal from this if this akathesia type anxiety and depersonization could lesson i would be ok. I am trying some meditation and acceptance but it is just year after year of this and dont know if I can make it.

• Administrator

Yes, it's been very difficult for many members here. This drug thing is no joke.

Alto do you think that resinstaing the low dose of celexa for those years just prolonged my suffering?

• Administrator

Going on and off psychiatric drugs repeatedly is probably why your nervous system is so unhappy.

Did you divide the lamotrigine dose yet? I would like to hear how that works for you.

Yes alto I did start I have moved one dose to morning and I am up to 3pm today taking my other dose. I am just trying to figure out how I could get worse this far along i mean I was bad before but not like this. Been off the celexa for a year and a half now after reinstating the small dose. The only thing I can think of is when I went down 1mg on the Valium but that was months before my cns crashed big time again.  

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Djones1984 said:

I am just trying to figure out how I could get worse this far along i mean I was bad before but not like this.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time trying to figure this out - there simply isn't any medical research that's been invested in this.

Alto wrote an excellent post that is worth a read, as she does explore the unpredictability elements to withdrawal: 

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

And these threads also shed some light into the unpredictability of withdrawal:

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

What is happening in your brain?

Simply knowing that it's not uncommon for people to suddenly crash, that prior reductions, battle fatigue from being sick (even mild symptoms that last for months and years can take its toll), and life stressors along the way all pile onto the nervous system. 

Keep in mind that psych drugs can have delayed withdrawal, so getting worse long after a change has been made is recorded again and again on this website. So try to let go of the thought that there is something more wrong because of the specific pattern you're in. In withdrawal, there are no clearly defined patterns or boundaries. 

Accept that it's a rough part of the journey and do your best to survive until it gets better. And it will get better. 

• Administrator
23 hours ago, Djones1984 said:

Yes alto I did start I have moved one dose to morning and I am up to 3pm today taking my other dose. I am just trying to figure out how I could get worse this far along i mean I was bad before but not like this. Been off the celexa for a year and a half now after reinstating the small dose. The only thing I can think of is when I went down 1mg on the Valium but that was months before my cns crashed big time again.  

How has your symptom pattern changed since you've moved the lamotrigine doses?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

23 hours ago, Djones1984 said:

I am just trying to figure out how I could get worse this far along i mean I was bad before but not like this.

Dj, you're asking the same questions over and over. Please stop, it's very frustrating for the moderators. Try this:

- Write your question down on a piece of paper or electronic document.

- Go through this topic from the beginning and copy into your document every explanation you've gotten.

- Save the document and refer to it whenever you have this question.

I am sorry just am afraid. My symptoms seem to be about the same except the last 2 days I have had a little window from like 3pm to 5pm I am taking the lamictal at 7am and 4pm as of today. 

I take the valium and lamictal around 7am seem to get little relief from Valium and anxiety was very bad all morning. I am keeping daily notes on symptoms and changes.

one thing I have noticed is that I used to be better in the evenings and now seem to be getting little relief there either.

I posted some of my daily symptom pattern in my benzo thread.

Very good read. (mod note: post moved from are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take to keep that thread on topic and because post is about member's own situation and will keep their history in one place) 

So I think I had an adverse reaction to reinstateing ssri and reinstated on a lower amount probably did a too fast taper off that and have been off for 16months now when I went off I Dident have hardly any symptoms and was what you would call withdrawl normal. For the last 4 weeks it’s been as bad as in the beginning 5 years ago when I tapered to fast. I am still on Valium and lamictal aswell. I don’t know if i can make it.

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

• 2 weeks later...

I think my symptoms are getting worse. I have burning pain, my shakes have got worse, dp, akathesia, electrified feelings, insomnia, nausea. I don’t know if I can make it. This is just worse than it’s ever been.

• Administrator

dj, I am getting frustrated. We always need your symptom pattern and drug schedule when you report a significant change!!!

I do not see this information in your benzo thread.

On 7/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, Altostrata said:

How has your symptom pattern changed since you've moved the lamotrigine doses?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Sorry alto I just posted symptom pattern in my benzo thread. Check it out when I get a chance. I am a mess.

For the last 2 weeks my shacking has gotten worse and eye blinking. I also have extreme muscle tension and uncontrollable shacking and tremors like Td could this be a delayed withdrawal effect from the celexa? I have had some shacking since the beginning but not like this.

Also feels like muscle pulling in arms.

Hey does anyone think reinstating a small dose of celexa might help me? I literally feel like I am dieing. Dp/dr, burning pain throughout body, tension, akathisia, depression, lost 20 pounds in 2 months again, eyes all messed up, muscle pains and much more.

• 3 months later...

Hey

How are things with you DJ?

Still hanging on in there? 

Mirtazipine - 2013 (12months) - COLD TURKEY - NO SIDE EFFECTS
Zoloft - 2014 (6 weeks) - ADVERSE REACTION!!!

Currently only take 5mg Valium on a as needed basis (once a month)

Current symptoms - Sensitive CNS, Tinnitus, Insomnia, Erectile Dysfunction, Feel terrible every single day, No emotions, HELL!