SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Artist Afraid to taper Pristiq

Artist

I am afraid to start tapering Pristiq.  A couple of times I have forgotten to take it and I can't believe how horrible I become and I am afraid of myself actually.  This is such scary stuff.  I am away from home for a few weeks and hope to contact my doctor when I get back re: getting off of Pristiq.  This is the scariest stuff I have ever been on.  I am very upset that he put me on it to begin with.  Can't imagine what it would be like to go "cold turkey" on something as potent as this.  I am really desperate for help to get off of this.

Have been on Paxil, Lexapro, and now Pristiq.

Have had no success at getting off of Pristiq.

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't be afraid, go very very slowly and you will eventually be free of it without the terrible withdrawal 

you have experienced already. 

Here is the thread with all you need to know about tapering pristiq. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

Most doctors recommend a far too fast taper which ends in people having to go back on the drug,

tapering slowly means you can be off it without withdrawal catching up with you after a few weeks or months.

Lots of people have succeeded with a slow taper and you can do it too. 

If you haven't done so already, it would be good if you post on the introductions thread, that will be 

your journal where you can log your progress and staff can advise you if and when you need them. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible