Marie: new member introduction.

Marie

I am now on a tiny bit under 3 mg of klonopin, after a difficult cross from Xanax which I took for 10 years at 2 mgs only at night, and for anxiety.

My previous doctor was not well versed on these crosses, switched me back and forth between X and K 4 times in 6 months, and prior to the last switch, had me up dose on the X to 3 mgs. And I had also attempted my own taper off X, going slowly as I was completely uniformed about the med itself and preoccupied with life, but wanted off, from the fall of 2009 till the fall of 2011 when I realized I would need a longer half life drug to do this.

Now I am doing a liquid micro taper using milk to taper this klonopin, but with each very microscopic cut, I find I must experience some significant w/d sx, and I must hold for weeks at a time. This itself is troublesome, but I also find that K is not a good "fit" for my brain. I have inconsistencies with it as far as confusion primarily. I also have some physical sx with each small cut so I am making very small progress getting off this drug. I now have a new doctor who recognizes my sensitivity and is tolerant, but I am concerned about my great difficulty in tapering at a micro level and want off this med, although I realize this will take a long time t this rate. Right now, my goal is merely to drop the daily dose.

On Xanax 10 years for anxiety, 2 mgs, night only. Attempted my own taper w/o understanding the dependency issues.

Researched and then understood the need for longer half life med. Doctor crossed me from X to klonopin 4 times in 6 months. Last time on X, she up dosed me to 3 mgs X.

On last cross attempt, ended up in ER with profound w/d sx from X. Got new doctor. Final cross to K, structured, slow was completed 6/5/12-12/5/12.

Attempting liquid micro taper from K. Difficulty with micro cuts; significant w/d sx requiring several weeks of holding after each cut. Also concerned if it's possible to use pill/liquid combo for dosing.

Hope I Meet Other Benzo Taperers Here! I have tried ADs in past. Could not tolerate them, gave up trying, none for over 12 years.

Hi, Marie:

Welcome to AD! It's nice and small in here! :D I'm an Ativan person, but I think these neurotoxins disguised as anxiolytics share more similarities than differences. Due to IW, I've been sneaking up on a crossover from 3X/day dosing to 4X/day; my taper's on hold while I clarify some cardiac issues. I don't want to start the c/o with cardiac dx/tx going on, but I'm real tired of IW sx, so I decided to spread my 3 X 0.5 mg tabs/dose q8h out over 4 hours and maybe that will even out the serum level somewhat.

Is it possible that measurement inaccuracies or errors could account for some of the sx you get after every cut? I don't know your measurement protocol, but I do know that there are several ways errors can creep into dilution and measurement of small and critical volumes of liquid. There are several people on this benzo thread who know a lot more about milk dilution of Klonopin than I do. I think one of them will likely be along with some helpful suggestions.

Welcome aboard!

Jerome

72 years old, no history of AD meds. Single dose of Ativan ramped up to 6-8 mg/day (!) for 7 years, initial Rx for insomnia. Summer of 2012 I learned about IW sx and began the change to 3X day dosing, finishing in October. Big improvement in sx. I also take opiate pain meds.

Finally got under way with a hybrid [wet/dry] daily cut taper in Dec. 2012, at 0.0125 mg/day reduction. I was able to taper down from 8 mg/d to 4 mg/d in 2 years at that rate, interrupted by several medical adventures (heart block, wrist fracture, endocrine problem). I'm currently [9/2021] stable at 4 mg/d and plan to start a micro-taper at an initial reduction rate of 0.035 mg/d. Now (10/2023) at 1.75 mg/day, I'm getting what I think are some w/d sx. so maybe hold for a while.

My taper method, which has gone through several iterations, is linked here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5037-jeromes-wetdry-taper-revised/?hl=jerome. At the moment, I'm not using a solution, but rather dealing with dry 0.5 mg tablets.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum , Marie.  Since your withdrawal issues are with benzos, you might get more responses by posting your story in this topic:

Members-only benzo tapering discussion

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Jerome and Jemima,

Thank you for your welcome. I did find the benzo tapering board, Jemima, so I will be posting there. However, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I greatly appreciate it.

Jerome,

Your question about errors and inaccuracies is always a good place to start when wondering what is going on. I will be posting about all of this on the benzo thread as soon as I acclimate myself. I am looking forward to helpful suggestions. Thank you again.

Marie

On Xanax 10 years for anxiety, 2 mgs, night only. Attempted my own taper w/o understanding the dependency issues.

Researched and then understood the need for longer half life med. Doctor crossed me from X to klonopin 4 times in 6 months. Last time on X, she up dosed me to 3 mgs X.

On last cross attempt, ended up in ER with profound w/d sx from X. Got new doctor. Final cross to K, structured, slow was completed 6/5/12-12/5/12.

Attempting liquid micro taper from K. Difficulty with micro cuts; significant w/d sx requiring several weeks of holding after each cut. Also concerned if it's possible to use pill/liquid combo for dosing.

Hope I Meet Other Benzo Taperers Here! I have tried ADs in past. Could not tolerate them, gave up trying, none for over 12 years.

Hi Marie,

Have you read Stuart Shipko's ebook on safely tapering Xanax?

http://www.amazon.com/Xanax-Withdrawal-ebook/dp/B008H7XYNS

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Alexejice,

No, I haven't read that book. I wish I had if there is a good way to accomplish Xanax tapering. I surely do know of others on Xanax who have successfully gotten off of it.

I do wish I had tried a different method while trying to taper it, but at the time, I was woefully ignorant that Xanax create dependency at all.

But now I'm on klonopin and my receptors do not accept Xanax in the same way as before. The tale is told in my signature.

Now I'm working on the K issue, and having a few problems with it.

But thank you for that resource.

Marie