SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

hollygolightly Micro Tapering Off Psych Drugs and Benzo

hollygolightly

Hello All,

I am new here and looking to gather insight and information.  I am very computer/forum illiterate, so please bear with me if something calls for whatever and I am not doing it right.  I do not know where my sign in signature is and with my history of drugs so in case it didn't happen, I will post it here.

Presently:

Xanax 0.5mg 4x day

Pristiq 25mg 1x day

Wellbutrin 37.5mg 1x day

Pamelor 20 mg 1x @ bedtime

I have been on the above cocktail since beginning March - May (?)  2011 to present.  Prior to that I had been on various drugs for various issues and It mainly began in my 20's with bad headaches.  Little did I know nor did any doctor think to inform me that  the Fiorinal I was prescribed could cause rebound headaches, depression, etc. and for over 20 years I  always thought that those effects were just me!  During that time I was tried on various antidepressants and ultimately landed on Elavil for approx. 20 years.  At some point during that mix, I was prescribed Xanax and never knew it was the cause of any depression or anxiety, either. I am finally learning/understanding how devastating the effects of these drugs have been on me physically as well as emotionally for so long..  To be as clear as I can be, I believe I have been on various psych drugs for approximately 30 (?) years or more.  I have tried 4 times to get off and each time I failed as I was c/t and did not know the effects I was feeling had to do w/ being c/t'd and thought that was just me and I must really be sick and NEED these drugs and would get back on.  Usually, when I was on a psych drug, I was only on one at a time.  How in the world did I allow myself to be on so many now?.I have looked at the different ways people come off these drugs and have decided I want to do them all at once (micro taper)  and very slowly. Awhile back I informed someone who appears knowledgeable in groups regarding tapering off drugs that for all the years I have been taking Xanax, oftentimes, I would take maybe 3 to 3 1/2 tabs daily vs. 4 daily  but did do 4 at times, for sure, usually 2 at bedtime.  Thought I was doing a good thing by not always taking the 4 tabs.  I was informed that is called yo-yoing and that I should get on a set amount as in the 4 tabs prescribed, stick with that dose to stabilize - do that for 2 weeks and then begin my taper off all drugs.  I am merely going by what has been told to me, I do not know at this point if that is correct. Should I stay on the Xanax longer (along w/the other psych drugs, of course) for "better" stabilization before I begin my micro tapering off all of them?  I am open to hearing viewpoints.  All of that said, I will definitely need help on how to taper and hope to find that here as well.  BTW, I do feel pretty awful a lot of times but my thoughts are - I am ingesting poisons into my body on a daily basis and they are making me sick.  Thanks for listening and wishing you all the best. ~

1976-2013:  Prescribed various Pain pills, Antidepressants and Benzos.

1976 (?):   Prescribed Fiorinal and Fiorinal #3 (codeine) for severe headaches.  I found out in the 1990's this drug caused rebound headaches and depression; I took it for appoximately 16 years.  Not once was I told nor did I ever suspect that those symptoms were coming from the drug.

1980's:  Tried a 3 day detox in hospital.   C/T FAILED.  Prescribed Xanax for anxiety and insomnia, one to one 1/2 tablets (0.5mg) per day and Ellavil (25mg) for depression.

1992:   Rehab.  C/T FAILED  Prior to going and having a meeting with the Medical Director, he asked me to write down everything I took that day.  He looked at it and said I don't think you are an addict, it looks like misuse.  I went into rehab anyway because I was so depressed and suicidal.  Got back on Fiorinal, Xanax, discontinued Ellavil and began Celexa. 

1992:   Stayed on Celexa for awhile and later switched to other SSRI's over the years but ultimately on Lexapro 20 mg.

2000 (?):  Did a 30 day Vitamin Detox Program from Xanax and Lexapro.  C/T FAILED

2010:  Costa Rica  30 day Orthomolecular Rehab Program for Psych drugs, etc.  I was on Xanax 3 mg (?)  per day and Lexapro 20 mg 1x per day.  C/T Failed  Got back on even more drugs.

All those years of taking prescribed drugs I had no idea nor did any psychiatrist, doctor, etc., ever consider to tell me that Xanax and Fiorinal caused depression.  I now know I was medicating the adverse effects of those drugs - what a wasted life all due to no one thinking it important to connect the dots, dig a little vs. pulling out the prescription pad!

2011:  Prescribed and presently on:

Xanax (0.5mg) 4x day

Pamelor (20mg) 1 x day

Pristiq (50 mg) 1 x day

Wellbutrin (37.5 mg) 1 x day

Hi Holly,

I am so sorry that you are going through all that, and for so long. :(

It is a sin .. :(

But you came to a caring, knowledgeable forum, and someone with expertise

will come along shortly to help you.

Just hang in there ..

Sending you warm wishes of well being.

Love, Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

I am finally learning/understanding how devastating the effects of these drugs have been on me physically as well as emotionally for so long..  To be as clear as I can be, I believe I have been on various psych drugs for approximately 30 (?) years or more.  I have tried 4 times to get off and each time I failed as I was c/t and did not know the effects I was feeling had to do w/ being c/t'd and thought that was just me and I must really be sick and NEED these drugs and would get back on.  Usually, when I was on a psych drug, I was only on one at a time.  How in the world did I allow myself to be on so many now?....

Don't be hard on yourself. You have done the best you can do with the information you were given. Take it easy and one day at a time. It sounds like you have a plan laid out. There is a lot of good info here on this forum about tapering multiple drugs and I'm sure many people havesome experience they'll share with you, too.

Hang in there & good luck!

My intro link: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4644-whoami-i-hope-to-find-out/?p=57607

I've taken antidepressants since 1997. From 1997-1999~I tried wellbutrin, paxil, prozac, and maybe some others I can't remember. 1999-2009~Effexor XR 150mg. 2009-2010~Cymbalta 30mg. 2010-present~Cymbalta 60mg. (Dates are rough estimates.)

Began micro-taper Jul 13, 2013.

As of May 19, 2014 removing 94 beads from 60mg capsule, approx 31.8mg.

As of August 2014 removing 106 beads from 60mg capsule, approx 28.2mg.

As of July 2015 down to approx. 23mg. (20mg capsule + 10 beads from a 60mg capsule) + .5mg Ativan as needed for anxiety/panic/generally crappy anxious no good feelings.

Also taking:  Omega3; Magnesium; Vitamins D, E, & B12; Calcium; Estrace 2mg.

Thanks, Lexi and Who.  I hope to hear from someone as though I was told to do it the way I posted above, someone stated to me that they thought what I was doing is dangerous.  I do not understand what the danger is?  Hopefully, someone will come along and explain that or maybe I misunderstood.

1976 (?):   Prescribed Fiorinal and Fiorinal #3 (codeine) for severe headaches.  I found out in the 1990's this drug caused rebound headaches and depression; I took it for appoximately 16 years.  Not once was I told nor did I ever suspect that those symptoms were coming from the drug.

1980's:  Tried a 3 day detox in hospital.   C/T FAILED.  Prescribed Xanax for anxiety and insomnia, one to one 1/2 tablets (0.5mg) per day and Ellavil (25mg) for depression.

1992:   Rehab.  C/T FAILED  Prior to going and having a meeting with the Medical Director, he asked me to write down everything I took that day.  He looked at it and said I don't think you are an addict, it looks like misuse.  I went into rehab anyway because I was so depressed and suicidal.  Got back on Fiorinal, Xanax, discontinued Ellavil and began Celexa. 

1992:   Stayed on Celexa for awhile and later switched to other SSRI's over the years but ultimately on Lexapro 20 mg.

2000 (?):  Did a 30 day Vitamin Detox Program from Xanax and Lexapro.  C/T FAILED

2010:  Costa Rica  30 day Orthomolecular Rehab Program for Psych drugs, etc.  I was on Xanax 3 mg (?)  per day and Lexapro 20 mg 1x per day.  C/T Failed  Got back on even more drugs.

All those years of taking prescribed drugs I had no idea nor did any psychiatrist, doctor, etc., ever consider to tell me that Xanax and Fiorinal caused depression.  I now know I was medicating the adverse effects of those drugs - what a wasted life all due to no one thinking it important to connect the dots, dig a little vs. pulling out the prescription pad!

Xanax (0.5mg) 4x day

Pamelor (20mg) 1 x day

Pristiq (50 mg) 1 x day

• Administrator

Holly, please look at our Tapering forum for topics regarding micro-tapering and how to come off your various drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tapering multiple drugs can be done but you must be very careful. Frequent holds are important, sometimes long holds. It's sort of a juggling act, too.

You'll find information pertaining to your plan in the 'Tapering' section, as Alto pointed you to.

Welcome to the group!

Thanks Alto will do.

Thank you too, Tezza, for your reply, as well.  Presently feeling so sick but will get to that forum soon.

Xanax (0.5mg) 4x day

Pamelor (20mg) 1 x day

Pristiq (50 mg) 1 x day

• 11 months later...

Hi All, 

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this post.  This will pertain to me down the road as I am on Pristiq ER, as well.  I was told by a pharmacist recently, you will not be able to get off Pristiq ER.  My thoughts are:  I have read/heard where people switch from Pristiq to something else, maybe Effexor to get off.  I am not certain that would be the best switch; would love to hear from someone that has and if they have been successful or not using it coming off.

A close friend is taking Pristiq 100mg and is considering switching to generic Effexor due to cost and eventually get off.  Has anyone here had experience with doing this?  Has anyone switched to something else to get off the Pristiq ER, if so, what?

If one is taking Pristiq 100mg 1x day, what would be the equivalent of Effexor, would it be 100mg or less or more?  I am assuming they have generic Effexor ER, maybe not?  I will google that.

Any input/info would be greatly appreciated.  Also, should this post be moved elsewhere?

Thanks, Holly

Xanax (0.5mg) 4x day

Pamelor (20mg) 1 x day

Pristiq (50 mg) 1 x day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Holly,

This is the right place for your question.  Here are a couple of threads which may be helpful.

Tips for tapering off Pristiq

Lilu's research about Effexor and Pristiq tapering

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Please start with Tips for Tapering Pristiq. Lilu's research can be confusing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.