meistersinger

Alpha-Stim, Fisher Wallace Sota Biotuner, PoNS, & similar "brain stimulation" devices

Armorall

Cool! How long have you been using them for? Please keep us updated with the results on these! I'd love to try it if it works. 

Armorall

@Fresh are you still using your soma tuner?

Armorall

I looked online and it looks like people really like them, the problem is there are a lot of defective ones- charger doesn't work, broken band, etc etc. Hmmm

Armorall

Is there any research that says that using Alpha-Stim would inhibit healing? 

SDOE

I purchased Alpha Stim as you can see in my signature. I think it helped a bit with anxiety.  It is hard for me to tell if time has healed me or the Alpha-Stim.  The main reason I purchased Alpha Stim was due to my chronic insomnia. I do not believe it has helped with  my insomnia despite trying various settings.

Armorall

Ok thanks! Glad to hear you are healing!

Armorall

@Superwoman regarding the Touchpoints Solution, I stopped using it because I'm not having much full-on wake-ups as of December (except for my decaf flub last night). However, I did find it useful. When I used the Touchpoints before I went to sleep, it didn't do much, but if I woke up at night, I would use the Touchpoints then and I feel like it helped. I think our systems are much more sensitized during sleep (since so many of us are reactive to noise when sleeping). When I used it then, I could feel the vibrations from the devices running through me, and it seemed calming and useful. 

LeoD

I got alpha-Stim hoping for (mild) anxiety and major depression (all wd induced) relief. Tried it 3 times at recommended settings. I know it is hard to say based on a few attempts, but it seems like anxiety got better, but depression got worse, to the point that i am hesitant to continue. According to the maker, it takes much longer to help with depression, but i am worried about the worsening. Anyone had similar experience? Has anyone gotten relief from depression using alpha-stim?

Armorall

@LeoD I never ended up trying it, but I went through this thread and read the comments on it. Anyone who had a good response to it, I messaged and asked if they were still using it. I think I got two responses back. 

LeoD

So is it fare to say that the summary from this site is that alpha stim does not help with wd and may be harmful?

Armorall

I unfortunately deleted the responses I got from it. I think one said it helped with anxiety but not insomnia. The other said it helped with anxiety, but if she stopped using it for a day, it would come back stronger, which doesn't sound good to me. To me, it seemed too risky at the end of the day and not worth the risk in my situation since my symptoms seem to change too much throughout the day (only bits and pieces of anxiety/depression and then can't figure out if I have restful sleep or not)  So yeah, probably fair to say. 

LeoD

Ok, thanks for you thoughts and summary! I will return my alpha stim then before it is too late.

Ineedsleep

I am still having great success with the Biotuner, this little device saved my life after 1 1/2 years of insomnia and sleeping every 3rd night. For me Antidepressant withdrawal came with severe insomnia. I’ve also seen it happen when people hit a wall and the antidepressants stop helping. Coming off the antidepressants due to anticholinergic toxicity made me have to come off all my anticholinergic meds which included the antidepressant. 

When it arrived, I used it as described and slept 3 hours when noting I could do in the past would make me sleep. From my understanding, our bodies slow down the production of our own brain releasing  chemicals when we take antidepressants. After using the biotuner every day for a few months, i started to produce my own chemicals again. I only need it on occasion now for over the top anxiety or a depressed mood as a little pick me up but honestly once it retrained my brain to start releasing the chemicals again naturally, it was almost too good to be true, but it worked!!  

It took patience and I only would would use it for (2) 15-20 min cycles, two times a day so I didn’t overuse it. I had read overusing and wearing it all day was not helping people so I tried to stuck to twice a day so my body would continue to respond to it. 

Very thankful to have found it! Actually my mother did while trying to help me. Thankful!! ♥️

Ineedsleep

For me the biotuner helped with Insomnia, Anxiety and Depression.

LeoD

Thank you Ineedsleep for you input!

Would be great if you added your drug signature so that people know if there stories are similar to yours or not❤️

Ineedsleep

Hi, I am so sorry. I haven’t posted in a few years. All of my info and history is under my previous posts for Ineedsleep and I am off all medication. Very thankful for the biotuner!! I can go back and pull out main threads but the main thing was the neurologist overdosed me with anticholinergics, of which antidepressants are in that class. It fried my nerves, I have severe neuropathy, severe insomnia, and severe anxiety from that incident and then no longer being able to take anticholinergics, so I had to find an alternative method. I was so toxic and all doctors knew to do was throw more meds at me. I couldn’t take them due to the toxicity, my nerves in body would vibrate and burn. When my mom found the biotuner, I had almost given up hope. It took patience but I could feel it working. All of my old posts will show my history, all of the meds I was on and the day I received the biotuner!  I also documented the process that I used. I am a retired nurse. My heart goes out to every one of you. 

Ineedsleep

Ineedsleep

Retired USAF Nurse injured in 1998, neck injury. In my 10th month of Antidepressant Withdrawl Syndrome and Anticholinergic Toxicity Syndrome

Zoloft 8 years 50-200mg

Cymbalta 4 years and Straterra 2 years taken together

Nortriptyline 50 mg 2 years

Neurontin 3 months

Ativan 1 month prior to Anticholinergic Toxicity

Round the clock Phernergan 100mg and Benadryl 25mg every 6 hours for 3 days to stop migraines? Hospitalized after 2 weeks of severe toxicity. 

Since then . . . could not restart meds as they were all anticholinergics

Placed on Ambien 3 months ago, after 3 weeks I became tolerant then had rebound insomnia

Have periodically taken Kavinace, but after 1 month will build a tolerance then I have to stop for a month before it works again.

Bachs Rescue Remedy, Hylands Calms Forte, Warm milk, Concentrated Chamomile tea, Valerian, Occasional 3.5 mg Lortab to take edge off of pain. 

Currently on .05 mg Estrogen, .088mg Synthroid, 40mg Omeprazole, OTC Gaviscon.

Stopped all acidic foods, no caffeine, no alcohol. I've lost 25 pounds in 10 months. 

Desperate for sleep and recovery . . . Much love to all who has gone before me in this long and painful journey. Help me please.

Edited June 25, 2012

Mourad

Hi, everyone,

I’m happy with the Alpha-Stim Aid. At first, it was a bit hard going: I couldn’t easily tolerate the device even at it’s lowest setting for the shortest amount of time. But after a few tries, I adapted. I still only use the Alpha at a very low setting (2 or at most 3 bars out of 10), but now for an hour at a time, with no side effects like nausea or a headache (a kind of seasickness). I use it practically every day now, while watching television or reading.

For me, the Alpha worked against anxiety quite fast, almost instantly. I remember being so surprised walking outside without a baseline of quiet dread for the first time in a very long time! Sleep took longer, a few weeks, I guess. In fact, my insomnia initially seemed to get worse. But after a while, I noticed longer and better hours of sleep, even when I feel bad emotionally. Not all nights are good, but many of them are: I often get 5 or 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep, then wake up, then get another 1 or 2. If it takes me hours to fall asleep, I am even able to sleep late! Sleep quality seems better as well: less restless and deeper. 

Wishing all of you well, M.

Superwoman
On 11/4/2019 at 12:23 AM, Superwoman said:

I recently purchased buzzers called Touchpoint Solutions.  They are two buzzers that vibrate alternately. You hold one in each hand. They are based on bi-lateral Stimulation such as EMDR. There is a lot of research backing up bi-lateral Stimulation. They are $150 and available on their website.  

My sister is a counselor and heard they work good for anxiety. We got them for my dad for a present to help him with anxiety and sleep. I borrowed them from my dad to try. I found they really help me with my anxiety and sleep.  I really need to give my dad his present back so I just ordered my own lol.  The only side effect I know of is my dad said it gave him vivid dreams.  PM me if you want more information. 

I posted some pictures so people can get a better idea what they are.  FYI a lot of reviewers said they received defective units.  On the plus side you can get a refund or replacement if it is defective and the customer service seemed very good.  When I got mine only one buzzer worked.  I contacted the company and had to plug it into my laptop and turn it on and off and then it worked.  One prong on the charger did not work.  They sent me a new one at no charge and I have had no issues since.  

I would recommend the band in the picture over the wrist band b/c the wrist bands don’t stay together well and this one can be worn to bed. 

I don’t wear them while sleeping b/c the buzzing actually keeps me awake.  Some people where them in bed though and find that it helps them sleep.  I use them before bed and it makes me tired and relaxes me. 

I don’t think that it can cause any harm or reactions b/c it just vibrations.  So if you are looking for something low risk you may want to give it a try. 

Superwoman

Below are pictures of the Touchpoint buzzers.

14D835FE-B1E0-433F-81DA-28367A5DF349.jpeg

D4482D9C-A4F0-4D4B-A576-F380BC3EA3E4.jpeg

tntd

I haven't been on SA in a long time but I have this thread to follow since I have an Alpha Stim. It is interesting reading all the different reactions that people have to it. I personally find that it helps with my anxiety levels. It doesn't get rid of them entirely but the anxiety is definitely less. I hadn't thought about it what it's doing for my sleep but I have noticed that over time my sleep has gotten a lot better. I've had my Alpha Stim since 2016 and have been using it daily since then. I still use it on the first setting as it makes me dizzy if I increase it. 

A thought about the Touchpoint buzzers. I have done EMDR and used the hand held units so I know what they feel like. I personally have a huge anxiety reaction to that kind of vibration. I was playing a video game with my husband and the controller started buzzing in my hand. I thought I was going to crawl out of my skin with the anxiety. I personally wouldn't try the Touchpoint buzzers due to this issue. Just thought I'd put that out there as a note for other people who have issues with vibrations causing increased WD sxs. If you don't have that problem then it sounds like another for something that could be helpful. 

NoMoreLexapro

Does anyone have any experience with MeRT, which is a personalized, customized application of TMS?

Shadow

I am wondering if anyone has tested the Flow Depression system  - https://flowneuroscience.com/home/new-home/

The above link has been sent to me by a friend and before I order it it would be helpful to know if anyone has tried it and , if so, with what success? 

Personally I am willing to try anything but all comments welcomed

Thanks 

NoMoreLexapro
On 4/30/2017 at 8:36 AM, Daisies24 said:

Hello, I know it has been a while since anyone posted to this topic, but I was just wondering . . . for the few people who seem to have had adverse reactions to these devices (anxiety, restlessness, agitation, etc.), how long after stopping the device did it take for your symptoms to go away? I had an adverse reaction to one of these devices, too, after using it for about a week. I feel it threw me back very significantly into withdrawal; I am having very strong symptoms I have not had in many, many months. 

Hi Daisies- which device/model did you use?  Are you better now?

ghm2018

@Altostrata

I researched https://cereset.com, went for an evaluation and thought that this sounded like a viable option to help reset the unbalance that has occurred due to medication complications. An EEG is used to listen to brain wave frequencies and then those frequencies are played back in realtime through piano tones into your ears through a headset. Supposedly the brain hears itself and determines it needs to correct itself. 

I felt nerve sensations in my stomach and anxiety during the first session. And now after only the one session, I am suffering a quite the setback with new symptoms that I didn’t have before. The technican encouraged me to come back and “walk through the fire” because once the entire brain is balanced, the symptoms will settle down. He has no idea. No thank you.  

I had every intention of not going through with the sessions, but I had a very agreeable mood swing after I got to the office and was easily convinced to try it. In hindsight, I should not have gone there on my own. 

Please be more cautious than I was when considering this as a fix. 

-ghm

Altostrata

There is no such thing as balancing the brain with an electronic device. This is all trial-and-error. We cannot predict the outcome for any individual.

Artistic1

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried either the Fisher Wallace Stimulator or the Alpha-Stim Device for depression, anxiety, or insomnia? These companies say their devices work for these problems. They supposedly stimulate the brain with small electric currents. I have seen scientific studies on the Alpha-Stim that reported good results, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has actually tried these.