SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Physical Labor in Withdrawal

Djones1984

I do construction and have been pushing myself to work but my body hurts sometimes and other times it is all right. Anyone else going through withdrawal push themselves? I am probably prolonging recovery but have to work because I am slowly going broke.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

Hi DJ... I am currently tapering Celexa.

My business is physical labor too.  It doesn't bother me.  There were times during a Lexapro taper that I had aches/pains like a flu and to overcome that I had to lay down, take a nap with a comforter and the heat drew out the pains.

I don't have that with the Celexa taper.  This time around with WD, sleep or enough of it is an issue.

Life can't be put on hold for some of us.  I am not married so there is no safety net.  It's just me.

My suggestion is to rest on your days off.  On one of those days lay down for a few hours and give yourself he chance to recharge.

Work has always been a blessing for me.  It got me out of the house so I could stop ruminating over how I was feeling.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Ya well I think my situation is a little different because I did not taper right and ended up going back on full dose with an adverse reaction so my and body took a big hit from that and all the other meds they tried on me.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

My hope is by next summer I can stabilize enough to go back to the bigger jobs other wise I am in big trouble.

• Moderator Emeritus

On the days when your body hurts, try having an epsom salt bath, it may help.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 4 weeks later...

Working while going through WD is very, very tough. The effort to get out of bed, get out of the house, face the people, the projects, the questions, the demands...not everyone can do this.  Personally,I'm trying to keep a business going while going through WD, and it's not going smoothly because I'm definitely not able to perform the way I used to.  When I'm feeling ok, I work a "normal" day, but it really does me in, and for the next few days my WD symptoms are definitely worse. 

Only you know how much you can handle, but stabilizing by next summer sounds like a good goal.  It gives your body a bit of time for the recovery, and it gives you some time to come up with alternative plans if it ends up taking longer.  Do you have any friends or family who can help you out if you find you really can't work while you're going through this? 

Do the best you can, and get as much rest and down time as you can. Good luck, and I hope that you find relief soon. 

-Mtnbkr

07.2004 Prozac. Greadually increased to 40mg. Good control of depression, but eventually developed muscle spasms and akathesia.

08.2010 Switched to Celexa. Suicidal ideation was constant.  Unable to sleep without ambien.

05.2012 Switched to Zoloft. Absolutely the BEST control of depression but caused severe bloating and rapid weight gain. Acne.

11.00.2012 Returned to Prozac 40mg

04.00.2013 Prozac 40mg + Wellbutrin 150mg

06.25.2013 Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.08.2013 GRAND MAL SEIZURE

07.09.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.26.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg

08.01.2014 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin ZERO

08.09.2013 Prozac 30.0 mg

09.13.2013 Prozac 27.5 mg

10.04.2013 Prozac 25.0 mg

10.25.2013 Prozac 22.5 mg

11.15.2013 Prozac 20.0 mg

12.06.2013 Prozac 15.0 mg

12.21.2013 Prozac 10.0 mg

I was totally unable to work since the start of WD now almost 6 years ago. I lost my job as a software developer and because of maintaining the right on financial support, I was forced to try some different kinds of other work, like harvesting vegetables on a farm, about 2 times a week

But that was already close to impossible because even the slightest  physical and/or mental efforts were too much for my crippled CNS.  When my financial support would have been cut off in those days, I would probably have been forced to commit suicide because I had nowhere to turn to...

So I praise myself lucky to have come this far, now I am able to work from home some hourse a day.

Maybe I should show much respect to anybody who works in WD, but I think it is just a matter of coincidence whether some symptoms are so bad that one is or is not able to work.

Some people report terrible mental symptoms but at the same time tell that working is a welcome distraction from WD. For me that was completely unimaginable and that while my career was very important to me.

Paxil took my career away, though Istill have some hope to restart a new career because when recovery started after about 2 years in WD, I did some courses and programming projects from home to maintian some working experiecce.

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Hello Claudius,

I'm sorry that Paxil took your career away.  I've always been an unskilled worker.  I lost a decent paying job due to Paxil withdrawal in 2010.  I finally found part-time work in 2011, it was extremely difficult for me and my coworkers definitely thought I was weird.  I was made redudant in April 2013 and my psychological symptoms have only increased.  My unemployment benefit is ending soon and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to work again.  I hope and pray that we will all recover.  It has been 4 years for me and I'm trying to keep faith its just been so hard.

Paroxetine 10mg June'08-Oct 09 ct., suffering protracted withdrawal

... but I think it is just a matter of coincidence whether some symptoms are so bad that one is or is not able to work.

I completely agree with this, and if my post appeared to suggest otherwise, it was unintended.

Some people are unalbe to work for years.  No amount of will power on their part can change this.  For others, their symptoms are either not as extreme, or have improved to a level that they're able to handle some employment.  This is where I'm at, and I know that I'm lucky - not as lucky as the people who are able to get off of these meds without incident, but, for some unkown reason, currently not as bad off as others.  I wish there was more certainty to what my future might hold, but there isn't.  I can only follow the advise and recommendations of those who came before me - keep the taper slow, have patience, listen to your mind/body, and don't blame yourself.

From my brief experience, pushing it causes WD setbacks.  So, please be careful.  But know that there are others of us who are in similar straits, struggling with WD, knowing that rest would be better, but not feeling like unemplyment is an option, so fighting the battle to keep our jobs.

Sending thoughts of peace and healing,

-Mtnbkr.

07.2004 Prozac. Greadually increased to 40mg. Good control of depression, but eventually developed muscle spasms and akathesia.

08.2010 Switched to Celexa. Suicidal ideation was constant.  Unable to sleep without ambien.

05.2012 Switched to Zoloft. Absolutely the BEST control of depression but caused severe bloating and rapid weight gain. Acne.

11.00.2012 Returned to Prozac 40mg

04.00.2013 Prozac 40mg + Wellbutrin 150mg

06.25.2013 Prozac 60mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.08.2013 GRAND MAL SEIZURE

07.09.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 300mg

07.26.2013 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin 150 mg

08.01.2014 Prozac 40mg and Wellbutrin ZERO

08.09.2013 Prozac 30.0 mg

09.13.2013 Prozac 27.5 mg

10.04.2013 Prozac 25.0 mg

10.25.2013 Prozac 22.5 mg

11.15.2013 Prozac 20.0 mg