Antipsychotics: Taking the Long View by the Director of NIMH

Jemima

• Moderator Emeritus

At last!  Some questioning of the use of psychiatric drugs at a high level:

Antipsychotics: Taking the Long View -  a blog by Tom Insel, M.D., Director of the National Institute of Mental Health

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

It's as though he's read Anatomy of an Epidemic. !!!!!!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

It's as though he's read Anatomy of an Epidemic. !!!!!!

Yeah, it definitely looks that way.  I am absolutely stunned.  In a good sense that is.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

The antipsychotics are the drugs I've taken that I most regret, which is saying something. Thinking about them fills me with sadness, anger, shame and disappointment.

I believe in 50 years the atypicals will be regarded less favorably than lobotomies are current regarded. This shift in opinion is certain to happen -- the drugs are that bad -- but the work of people like us and others will speed up the process and change and save lives...

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

This is exciting news, indeed. I am glad that the conversation seems to be shifting toward a functional recovery and not just hoping to control the worst of the symptoms, because that is what this really should be about.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Still not a peep about any kind of withdrawal issues after going off. Yes, he's steering away from meds as the big long term treatment in most cases, but when there's not even the mention to any kind of issues after going off the meds that comes from being on the meds themseleves, then that's still an epic failure because that's where true hell resides. So I guess it's a tiny baby step forward with continents that stil need to be traveled and apparently we're going at those little baby steps.

Still not a peep about any kind of withdrawal issues after going off. Yes, he's steering away from meds as the big long term treatment in most cases, but when there's not even the mention to any kind of issues after going off the meds that comes from being on the meds themseleves, then that's still an epic failure because that's where true hell resides. So I guess it's a tiny baby step forward with continents that stil need to be traveled and apparently we're going at those little baby steps.

My thoughts exactly, Star.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

My thoughts exactly, Star.

It's like the big bad secret they refuse to fess up to. God forbid people know the pure hell that exists coming off these drugs. Maybe not everyone experiences it, but enough of us do.

Every damn bottle that contains a psychotropic drug of any sort should have a big warning sticker with a red skull and cross bones that says: WARNING: ONCE YOU TAKE THIS DRUG YOU MAY HAVE TO TAKE IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AS PEOPLE WHO HAVE TRIED TO STOP TAKING IT HAVE EXPERIENCED EXTREME WITHDRAWAL AND DEBILITATING SYMPTOMS THAT IN SOME CASES HAVE LASTED FOR YEARS.

Or you know, something along those very scary lines. Enough to make anyone think twice about if it was the best course of action... the level of commitment and danger involved as a clear possibility.

The antipsychotics are the drugs I've taken that I most regret, which is saying something. Thinking about them fills me with sadness, anger, shame and disappointment.

I believe in 50 years the atypicals will be regarded less favorably than lobotomies are current regarded. This shift in opinion is certain to happen -- the drugs are that bad -- but the work of people like us and others will speed up the process and change and save lives..

Alexe--I agree. Antipsychotics gave me the cutest facial twitches (sic) which I still have. AD's are just plain nasty crap.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy