anna7887: Please help me with taper plans

anna7887

• Administrator

From your signature "Upped Zoloft to 75mg and trazadone to 50mg for 1.5 weeks ...felt suicidal & reduced dose. Switched to brand of Zoloft for 2 weeks and I felt ramped up..."

I guess it's possible you became sensitized to trazodone's metabolite MCPP when you increased both trazodone and Zoloft. This would affect you the next morning after you take trazodone. You might feel "ramped up" from it.

One way to find out if MCPP is your problem is by reducing trazodone slightly.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm losing hope fast. I continue to feel like I'm in severe benzo w/d everyday ( but I never went this long without windows in benzo w/d). I continue to feel like I've developed side effects to the trazadone and need to get off but I don't know if that's rational.

I'm also beginning to become paranoid the stopping and starting the traz a few days at the end of June did not really do anything ( maybe my hormones changed/ stress caught up with me and I became tolerant to the drugs). It just doesn't make sense after all this time I still can't stabilize. I feel like I'm living in a dream world..I am so scared and frightened by this. I tried to take slightly less traz to see if it could perhaps be interacting with my Zoloft but that didn't make a difference.

Now I'm back to thinking maybe I need to take more trazadone to try to stabilize...I just want to get off all drugs and back to the life I had before I was ever rx'ed anything but I think tapering while I already feel like I've c/t off something isn't smart. I honestly don't know what to do...

-given Prozac at 12 due to panic attacks for 6months

-Med free until 2008 when I was 20 years old 
-2008-2009- Pristiq, followed by quick taper. 
-1/10-Rxed 50mg Zoloft & .5mg Klonopin daily after a death in the family

- 2/2012 Successfully micro tapered off .5mg of Klonopin after taking daily for 2 years. Started 100mg of Trazadone for sleep .

- Oct 2013- Quickly tapered off trazadone. Bad idea! But finally trazadone free. 

- July 2015- present Became very ill with lyme like sxs

-August 2018-present. Started micro taper off 50mg of Zoloft via liquid titration  ... 

- July 2021- down to 3mg.. had digestive issues so got an endoscopy and major flair! 
-March 2022- tried cross tapers to Prozac and lexapro did not work. Jumped off everything.

-Present: Med free and pregnant! Aside from some health issues I’m doing better than expected!! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Give it some more time.  You've only been on a reduced dose for two days at most, if I'm reading things right. It takes at least four full days for a dosage change to have any effect.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Yes, but considering I've taken the current dose of Zoloft and traz for 3 years without issues I cant see this being the problem. It was over 1 month ago when I tried to increase my Zoloft...

- 2/2012 Successfully micro tapered off .5mg of Klonopin after taking daily for 2 years. Started 100mg of Trazadone for sleep .

- Oct 2013- Quickly tapered off trazadone. Bad idea! But finally trazadone free. 

-August 2018-present. Started micro taper off 50mg of Zoloft via liquid titration  ... 

- July 2021- down to 3mg.. had digestive issues so got an endoscopy and major flair! 
-March 2022- tried cross tapers to Prozac and lexapro did not work. Jumped off everything.

-Present: Med free and pregnant! Aside from some health issues I’m doing better than expected!! 

Do you think its possible to have feeling of w/d due to taking the klonopin every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. I haven't taken one in over 3 weeks but this is exactly how I used to feel during benzo w/d....

Hi Anna

Anna there is someone else on the site who is having difficulty with trazadone.  Up and down and not feeling better like you.

I don't remember who it is, but you can type trazadone in the search box and see what comes up.

I don't know about tapering zoloft or trazadone, however my daughter did take trazadone about 4 years ago and she wanted to get off of it.  She tapered it over a few weeks, had some WD and then was okay.  She was not altering her dose of Imipramine at the time - just the trazadone.

Could be the issue for you or the only one I can think of.  You got off K and have changed your zoloft doses. 

Hope you find a suitable dose to stabilize on...

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks Nikki...I'm finding myself obsessing over this. I don't understand how this can be withdrawal if I've been stabilizing on 25mg of traz since June...I'm beginning to think my Zoloft may have "pooped out." I don't believe there is a magic pill to cure withdrawal...but at the same time if I'm not tapering , and don't believe I'm in withdrawal, maybe I should try another ssri. I feel hopeless, scared, confused.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand how this can be withdrawal if I've been stabilizing on 25mg of traz since June.......

..............maybe I should try another ssri. I feel hopeless, scared, confused.

Hi Anna,

I've felt hopeless, scared and confused lots of times through my withdrawal process, I know how bad it can get.  The worst part about it is when we get so scared and confused, we are not able to think straight, our memory doesn't work properly and we start to panic.

Take some time and read back through your thread at what you have written and you will see that while you may have been 'trying' to stabilize since June, that's not what has been happening.  You have actually been making irregular changes in all 3 of the medications you take. 

All of these medications  effect our brain and nervous system and each change in any of them adds to the the destabilization stress load.  I know this from my own experience, but also from reading about the experiences of other people here.

Once your nervous system becomes destabilized, it can take a long time for it to settle down again, even if you really are taking exactly the same amount of each medication every day.  Everyone is different, but several months isn't unusual.  In some situations it can take even longer.

Try and accept that you are not going to feel well for a while.  Do what you can to take care of yourself during that time.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu. I hope you're right. Is it normal to feel worse weeks into the stabilization process? I guess my fear is my body is reacting poorly to my current meds and instead of reaching stability things will get worse. Is this logical? Considering I was on these meds for 3 years odds are I didn't randomly develop side effects...but it's not unheard of ...especially with the trazadone....how can I be sure taking the medication isn't what is hurting me?

• Moderator Emeritus

....how can I be sure taking the medication isn't what is hurting me?

With these medications, no one can be sure of anything, you just have to make the best decision you can with the advise and information you have.

Feeling worse after a period of feeling better is quite common, you might find our 'windows and waves' topic helpful to explain more about this:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

So I've reduced my dose over the past few days from 25mg to about 18 & I'm actually feeling better... Wondering if I should keep on going. My gut is telling me I developed a bad reaction a few months back when I stopped and started and increased my dose...

Sorry, I would like to elaborate a bit more....I reduced my 25mg dose to less than 20mg on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. I was feeling slightly better both days...Thursday probably feeling my best. I met with my doc on Thursday and she agreed I needed to get off the trazadone safely and I should hold at 20mg for 1-2 weeks. So , last night I was meticulous about taking exactly 20mg (titrated in water) ..probably a bit more than what I took in the previous 2 days.

Well, today I was feeling great up until about 3pm and then BAM, sudden weakness, ear pressure, feeling if impending doom, nausea..the works..I've been immobile and on bed rest since 3pm.

So while it is my initial reaction (due to my benzo experience) to believe these "cuts" these last few days are catching up with me...my gut is telling I am actually reacting poorly to the trazadone and would do better on a lower dose.

I know withdrawal from my klonopin experience...while this mimics it somewhat this is FAR more physical..I am so weak/ tired I can't get out of bed.

Anyhow...I would appreciate some advice. What I would like to do is take about 12mg tonight and see how I feel tomorrow ...if I feel a lot better maybe I'll have my answer...thoughts?

Update...feeling a lot better today...no ear pressure whatsoever ...just feel caffeinated !

• Administrator

anna, it's up to you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I understand I was looking more for someone's opinion or recommendation. I am very confused how to proceed.

• Administrator
What I would like to do is take about 12mg tonight and see how I feel tomorrow ...if I feel a lot better maybe I'll have my answer...thoughts?

None of us can tell the future. If you want to reduce again, it's your decision.

You also have the option to reduce by a smaller amount.

Yes but is it too aggressive in your opinion?

• Administrator

I wouldn't make such a big change, but I've said that before and you disregarded it. All I can do is give you my opinion. The decision is up to you.

You suggested reducing trazadone slightly ... Not sure what you mean by disregard it ..,

• Moderator Emeritus

You suggested reducing trazadone slightly ... Not sure what you mean by disregard it ..,

Alto and I have both offered the best advice that we have.  However, you continue to question it, come up with different ideas, and argue about what to do next.  If you still don't understand, you might read back through this thread from beginning to end to see what we mean.

I've given you the best ideas that I have and I believe Alto has done the same. I can't speak for her, but I'm out of suggestions and I have no idea what the changes you're considering will do for or to you.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I'm not arguing anything ... You suggested I reduce slightly and hold ... Which I've done. What I'm questioning is the major difference in physical symptoms getting better taking less... And wanted more advice since I've done so

• Administrator

Sorry, I would like to elaborate a bit more....I reduced my 25mg dose to less than 20mg on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. I was feeling slightly better both days...Thursday probably feeling my best. I met with my doc on Thursday and she agreed I needed to get off the trazadone safely and I should hold at 20mg for 1-2 weeks. So , last night I was meticulous about taking exactly 20mg (titrated in water) ..probably a bit more than what I took in the previous 2 days.

Anyhow...I would appreciate some advice. What I would like to do is take about 12mg tonight and see how I feel tomorrow ...if I feel a lot better maybe I'll have my answer...thoughts?

We've said repeatedly to reduce slightly. You reduced from 25mg to 20mg, a 20% reduction.

Now you're going to hold for a couple of weeks and reduce from 20mg to 12mg, an additional 40% reduction.

You'll have gone from 25mg to 12mg in two weeks -- overall, a 52% reduction.

That is not what we would call a slight reduction. We recommend tapering more cautiously to reduce the risk of withdrawal symptoms.

However, it's up to you to negotiate this with your nervous system, not with us. Your plan may be fine for you or it may not, we cannot predict how it will go.

Thank you...and I apologize if it seems as if I'm arguing..really don't mean anything by it and I really appreciate your opinions. I'm just struggling to find answers and as someone who has been through a benzo micro-taper I am very cautious with my speed. I guess this just feels much different is all. Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hello all. Thought I'd provide an update:

It's now been about 5 weeks since I've stopped taking trazodone. I tapered off 25mg in about 4 weeks. I do not recommend this whatsoever but I feel like I didn't have a choice. Immediately stopping the pill my ear pressure stopped, dizziness, terror in bones feeling, anxiety, etc .lots of weird symptoms I was experiencing vanished. However, I still have a long way to go and I constantly question if I am still feeling withdrawal or if it is some other medical condition. My taper from klonopin a few years back was a cake walk compared to this; it felt controlled, predictable ; I had it down to a science! This is so different as there is no end in site for me...I am just trying to learn and accept my "condition." Again, I still question daily if this is in fact withdrawal or maybe I am experiencing severe organic depression and need to be further medicated. 

I am still taking 50mg of Zoloft daily. 

My main symptoms are lack of energy, SEVERE fatigue, and depression. Trying to just accept the pain and work through it.

Love & healing to all.  

Hi Anna, I am glad you are doing as well as you are. Negotiating between withdrawal and side effects is not fun, and it is hard to decide what to do. I am having a lot of fatigue now that I am off my AD as well. It is basically the story of my life...the symptom I have from anything. BUT I read a book that is helping me with depression...it's a book to train therapists in helping patients manage depression or bipolar by keeping a very strict schedule, particularly in what time they get up in the morning. I started doing it right after Thanksgiving (not that long), and my mood has been much more stable. I don't know if it will hold, but hey, it's free :)

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Anna how are you..I know first hand how wicked traz is to taper....it is the hardest drug ever for me...its hard to stabilize if you ever really do...I hope since you're not feeding the beast it gets easier....

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• 2 months later...

Hello all...checking in. I was doing really well but about 10 days ago got slammed with what initially felt like withdrawal, ear clogging, fatigue, anxiety, dizziness, etc. I felt this was in the past and it usually lets up in 5 days or so but each passing day its getting worse. I went to a walk in clinic today for blood work. 

I can barely get dressed in the morning I feel like a zombie and so nervous I have brain damage or some disease. Not much had changed in my lifestyle although I started training for a marathon and was running extensively ( 25 miles/ week)...not sure if this triggered something. 

I hope I start to feel better. I am currently not even tapering anything:( Thanks for listening. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Anna,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been hit with a wave.  Overdoing exercise can bring one on, many people have found that symptoms get worse with physical stress.  Or it could just be a random wave, its hard to tell.  Could you cut down your training for a while and see if you start to feel better?

Petu.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 1 year later...

Gosh at 28-years-old I feel like I've endured so much physical and emotional pain I don't know where to begin! I used to frequent this forum and am forever grateful for the ongoing support. Using the 10% rule I was able to get off of klonopin and trazadone. My last and final taper will be getting off of the 50mg of zoloft I've been on for 6 years.

The last 6 years have been a blur of ups and downs: I have battled an almost zoloft induced mania whereby days I won't sleep, will need to calm myself down with alcohol, etc. For years I've been in denial that it's okay to feel the way I do...and that working hard and playing hard was an acceptable mentality to have in my twenties ( in nyc nonetheless). Deep down inside I new I couldn't possibly sustain the roller coaster ride but I pushed and pushed myself. Until this past summer I got very sick. After a very intense and stressful year of work ( 15-16 hour days)...things were finally calming down so in my manic state I decided to sign up for a marathon. I was midway in my training this past July and I woke up with the most debilitating muscle aches of my life. It was as if my body was shutting down. I started getting intense chronic fatigue, fevers, throat infections, etc. I literally felt like I was dying. Since then I have tried every holistic trick out there to try to heal ( getting my root canals extracted, taking colloidal silver, ozone, antibiotic therapy etc.) and although Im better than I was I don't feel nearly like my old self. I still suffer from daily aches in my muscles and fear I will never heal. Aside from Fibromaylagia I've never been given an official diagnosis. Many of the doctors I've met believe it is depression and want to change my medication. I don't want to fall victim to yet another drug. Unfortunately,  in these last few months I've started drinking alcohol again to try to cope with the depression of feeling so sick, not having a concrete path. Somehow I've managed to keep my high paying  job but every minute of every day is a struggle of keeping my eyes open and feeling well enough to sit at a desk or meeting. 

As the New Year approaches I've decided to fight harder than I've ever fought. I want to stop drinking alcohol, eat clean, and hopefully taper off zoloft. Ever since I started zoloft 6 years ago I feel like it's had this stimulating affect on me. To this day, I have such horrible sleeping issues due to zoloft but I've become accustomed to sleeping 4-5 hours during the week for years.

I am looking for support through this journey. I realize my story may be more complex as I am battling other health issues. If anyone can relate I would appreciate your feedback.

I am hoping to use a water suspension liquid method decreasing my 10%. I am hoping to start Feb 1st . I will spend 1 month prior to try to stabilize as much as possible through diet and exercise.  

Thank you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Anna,

Is nice to meet you now that you are 'out of the woodwork' so to speak.  It's good to hear about your successful tapers - they must be encouraging for you as you head towards your last taper. 

I was just reading up about Zoloft.  It's interesting you mention alcohol because although alcohol works as a depressive, when in combination with Zoloft it can actually ramp up your symptoms.  Zoloft all on it's own can cause mania, and SSRIs in general can worsen depression.  It may be that you are starting to experience adverse effects. 

Your plan to prepare to taper is a good idea.  Reducing your dosage will hopefully bring some relief from those side-effects.

You've probably seen this, but just for the record here's the link for tapering Zoloft.

Others might be able to comment on the other things going on for you.

Best wishes,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey again Anna,

Have merged your intro topics, as it is one intro per member. 

Cheers,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 11 months later...

I had previously used this forum to help with a trazadone taper a few years back. Before that I had successfully weaned myself off klonopin. Now after 7 years I am finally ready to start my Zoloft taper.

Zoloft has always had stimulating effect on me. Since the very beginning I felt restless on it and caffeinated but for the first year I was given klonopin to combat those side effects. Once I finished the nightmare taper off klonopin my doctor somehow talked me into trazadone to help with my insomnia. It didn't take long for the trazadone to stop working when I finally said enough. I was able to get off the trazadone and used melatonin and magnesium to help with my insomnia. However, over the years I really only average 5-6 hours of sleep per night which has been detrimental to my overall well being. I've also had bouts of alcohol abuse due to zolofts stimulating effect. In fact, before Zoloft I didn't even like to drink..

To make matters worse, a little over a year ago I started to develop auto-immune issues. I woke up with a throat infection one day that antibiotics couldn't cure, extreme muscle aches, relentless fatigue, a feeling of toxicity. I am finally feeling somewhat better and am being treated for lyme and heavy metal poisoning. I follow a strict diet, take antibiotics, load of herbals...it truly has been a nightmare. My doctors feel I won't be able to fully heal until I fix my sleep issues which means I have to get off Zoloft once and for all.

I plan to go at a snails pace given my other health issues. I am currently on 50mg. I was thinking of taking 25mg pill along with 25mg mixed in water. I would switch to this regimen and take the full 50mg (half in water) for 1-2 months before starting my taper. From there, I was start to slowly titrate the 25mg in water and go from there. Does that seem like a solid plan? I prefer this to pill cutting, weighing etc. Once I get to 25mg I would then reassess my methodology and maybe switch to the liquid rx form or work with a compounding pharmacy.

How does this sound? Thank you for your support!

Edited by scallywag
moved from 2nd intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

anna -- Welcome back to Surviving Antidepressants (SA).

I've moved your post/question about Zoloft to your previous introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

Would you update your signature to show

- your klonopin and trazodone tapers as complete and

- your current Zoloft dose?

Keeping the dose constant while you switch to a liquid is a very good idea. You've suggested starting at 50% liquid; if you find that you start to get w/d symptoms, you can scale back to the liquid proportion of your dose 25%.

You can, as you've suggested, increase the liquid proportion over several or many weeks until you are taking all 50 mg as liquid.  After stabilizing on that, you can titrate dose by 10% using liquid. 

something to consider for later: You could do a liquid titration all the way down to 0 instead of switching to a compounded dose.

For reference:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline).

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet