IHateProzac: Wellbutrin XL - Can it decrease semen volume?

IHateProzac

Hi all;

I am 32 years old male.

I am on Wellburtin XL. Took 150mg XL for 9days to cure off my PSSD. After 9 days I increased the dose to 300mg XL & this is the 4th day I am on the dose.

The good news is that its working.

The bad news is I have noticed considerable decrease in semen volume I ejaculate [i have read Wellbutrin XL does that] & I am also feeling a slight pain in my left ********.

Now my queries are:

* Can, or does, Wellbutrin XL make the low volume permanent? 

* Should I be aalarmed on the pain?

* Would lowering the dose back to 150mg help, or I should stop taking it immediately

* If I am to go off immediately how do I tapper off & how quickly I do that?

• Administrator

Welcome, IHateProzac.

I don't know if taking Wellbutrin is responsible for your decreased semen volume. All psychiatric drugs cause alterations in hormone balance throughout the body.

If 150mg XL helped, why take 300mg?

If you're on a psychiatric drug for a month or more, you are at risk for withdrawal symptoms. Less time, you might be able to do a faster taper, particularly with Wellbutrin. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/877-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-buproprion/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altostrata;

I forgot to mention that I am also taking 400mg (200+200) of Arcalion (Sulbutiamine) with Wellbutrin. My psyc prescribed me both to over come PSSD. Could their interaction be causing my problem?

• Administrator

Check drug interactions at http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Also see http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101487

The more neuroactive substances you take, the more likelihood they will interact or have adverse effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Be careful with reducing Sulbutiamine. It also can cause withdrawal symptoms.

I reduced the dose of both medicines yesterday by half just to see the results. May be its psychological or not but I think the semen volum increased a bit.

I'll be careful with Sulbutiamine. I am suppose to take it a month only (2 weeks completed now) & then tapper off.

• Administrator

I would worry more about the stability of your nervous system than semen volume.

Its like being between a rock & a hard place. Anyways, lowering Sulbutiamine dose has increased the semen volume. Now I don't know if I should go back 400g(?)

• Administrator

What benefit do you think you're getting from it? Your doctor is conducting an experiment on you. The fewer drugs you take, the better.

I am withdrawing from Wellburtin & Arcalion both. I'll try to meet doctor ASAP. Yesterday & today I ejaculated very little semen. I hope this retrograde ejaculation goes away during the tappering. I am scared, worried, anxious and depressed now.

• Administrator

Frequent ejaculation reduces semen volume.

If reduced semen volume is your only concern, you are a very fortunate sufferer of post-SSRI problems.

How much Prozac were you taking and for how long? How did you go off Prozac? Did you have any other withdrawal symptoms?

Reduced semen has not been part of my pssd. It has only began after I started to take Wellbutrin XL.

I took prozac for 8 months with 40 mg (20+0+20) every day. Interstingly it gave me strong erections on my own & also increased my libido when I started it. But once I withdrew things went to dogs,