☼ About Altostrata -- 11 years of protracted antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Altostrata

Hello @Altostrata I'm new to this site and just read your post. Thank you so much for your compassion and efforts to expose the corruption of the psychopharmaceutical industry that is wreaking havoc on our lives. Thank you so much for this forum which is a lifeline for so many of us. You mention in your post that in late 2007 you found a psychiatrist in San Francisco who treats withdrawal syndrome and that he aided in your recovery. Can you please tell me the name of the doctor or any others you could recommend? Thank you so much in advance 🙏 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2020 at 12:41 PM, SolarPlexus said:

Hello @Altostrata I'm new to this site and just read your post. Thank you so much for your compassion and efforts to expose the corruption of the psychopharmaceutical industry that is wreaking havoc on our lives. Thank you so much for this forum which is a lifeline for so many of us. You mention in your post that in late 2007 you found a psychiatrist in San Francisco who treats withdrawal syndrome and that he aided in your recovery. Can you please tell me the name of the doctor or any others you could recommend? Thank you so much in advance 🙏 

Well done Altostrata, for introducing your website for people who are suffering from withdrawals symptoms, from those evil drugs and for giving hope to others, thank you, God bless you 🙏

• 13th of August 2019 started to take 20 mg citalopram
  • 😀24th of August 2019 down to 10mg stopped citalopram altogether on the 30th of August 2019

Short term citalopram

• 2 months later...

Gosh, that is moving. Thank you for sharing and putting a hand out to lift others to safety. 

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years.  Tricky journey. 

Finally off October 2018. Once over the fallout, haven't looked back. 

• Been on 150mg Prolonged Release Zyban for 3.5 yrs.
  • It comes in blank plastic pouches.
  • The code on the pill is GX CH7.
  • The full pill weight is 0.42 grams.  

Starting tapering journey May 2020.  Cut the tablet into 4 quarters. Found the pill cutter very inexact for this kind of tablet. Sizes varied hugely.

Tried one half in morning and the other 2 quarters at regular intervals. Abandoned that plan fast, as half an immediate release made me feel like I'd had 300 coffees.
Took a quarter every few hours instead. Which meant I dropped by a whole quarter. This had me bumpy for 2 weeks.
31st July - began skipping the middle 1/4 on alternating days. VERY BAD IDEA. Doctor's advice. Thanks to Chessiecat and Altostrata and went back to the 1/4 three times a day. 
15th September went down by 10%;29th October went down by 10%;Mid December will cut 10% again. 
Approx three 10% cuts (pill weight) since January 2021 (2021). Each is pretty bumpy. 
July 2021 - Am now at 0.06 grams (pill weight) x 3 daily. (The whole pill weighs 0.42 grams)

Just watched the clip. Great to be able to put a face to The Mighty Altostrata. I share lots of wd stuff on my own f.b page. Would you mind if I shared this? I've never heard of brain zaps being thought of as similar to epilepsy. I know you're a smart cookie so I think I might be kind of stupid for asking this but I must ask anyway. Are you saying brain zaps are like epilepsy from a very knowledgeable standpoint? I found it really interesting. Also, what you said about being sensitive to other drugs I must agree with. At the dentist a few years ago I was meant to have 4 shots of anaesthetic for what I was having done and had to abort after 1. I was still in withdrawal pretty well and it just made tears flood from my eyes and brought my emotions back to the worst of it for some time, it took me about 15 minutes to recover from that anaesthetic. Luckily I could do what I had to do at the dentist without the rest.

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

• Moderator Emeritus
38 minutes ago, Gussy said:

I've never heard of brain zaps being thought of as similar to epilepsy.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-superhuman-mind/201710/what-causes-brain-zaps

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 weeks later...

I watched your video.You're a strong and brave woman.It's great to know that there are some people like you in this doomed planet.I couldn't catch the train 'cause it was too late for me when i realized that i was dealing with withdrawal.But I'm sure that this website will be helpful for people who are suffering from this problem.And I hope I will be healed one day.

2012 - 2016

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my first mania attack.)

2016 - 2017

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had my second mania attack.)

October 2017 - January 2018

Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After CT I had a movement problem)

March 2018 - April 2018

Bupropion (150 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (My movement problems were resolved but I became angrier than usual while I was using them)

April 2018 - July 2018

Prozac (20 mg) + Aripiprazole (5 mg) (Both CT) (After I CT'ed because of different problems which were related to my vision and finger jerks my movement problem came back.)

September 2020 - ...

I'm on Sertraline (50 mg) + Aripiprazole (2.5 mg).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Dear Altostrata, The support of SA has given me the heart and will to keep going in the face of SSRI withdrawal.  Dramatic as it sounds, I owe you my sanity and belief in humanity.  Even though I was late in finding SA, thanks to you, I ultimately didn't have to go through this alone.  I hope that you feel your own needs are addressed, even as you have addressed so incredibly much for all who visit SA.  I am in awe of what you have given.  Thank you.

And more thanks,

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

On 9/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, arbor said:

Dear Altostrata, The support of SA has given me the heart and will to keep going in the face of SSRI withdrawal.  Dramatic as it sounds, I owe you my sanity and belief in humanity.  Even though I was late in finding SA, thanks to you, I ultimately didn't have to go through this alone.  I hope that you feel your own needs are addressed, even as you have addressed so incredibly much for all who visit SA.  I am in awe of what you have given.  Thank you.

And more thanks,

Arbor

I agree with you Arbor. Altostrata is a saint. This website has literally saved my life. I'm still in withdrawal and without this website I wouldn't have had the wisdom and strength to keep holding on. Thank you Altostrata for your incredible nobility. 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

Agreed. I wish this site and Alto and the kind others who helped me could get some funding. I don't have the words to say how grateful I am to Alto (and Manymoredays) for coming to my aid, for making me feel heard, and cared about, but mainly - for GIVING THE RIGHT ADVICE! Huge appreciation and respect to you. xxx

On Cymbalta for 10 years after PND.  Original dose of 60mg was far too high.  Tapered down over years.  Tricky journey. 

Finally off October 2018. Once over the fallout, haven't looked back. 

• Been on 150mg Prolonged Release Zyban for 3.5 yrs.
  • It comes in blank plastic pouches.
  • The code on the pill is GX CH7.
  • The full pill weight is 0.42 grams.  

Starting tapering journey May 2020.  Cut the tablet into 4 quarters. Found the pill cutter very inexact for this kind of tablet. Sizes varied hugely.

Tried one half in morning and the other 2 quarters at regular intervals. Abandoned that plan fast, as half an immediate release made me feel like I'd had 300 coffees.
Took a quarter every few hours instead. Which meant I dropped by a whole quarter. This had me bumpy for 2 weeks.
31st July - began skipping the middle 1/4 on alternating days. VERY BAD IDEA. Doctor's advice. Thanks to Chessiecat and Altostrata and went back to the 1/4 three times a day. 
15th September went down by 10%;29th October went down by 10%;Mid December will cut 10% again. 
Approx three 10% cuts (pill weight) since January 2021 (2021). Each is pretty bumpy. 
July 2021 - Am now at 0.06 grams (pill weight) x 3 daily. (The whole pill weighs 0.42 grams)

Yes, many many thanks to Alto and the moderators and this community too! Really glad I found my way here.

2017 Oct sertraline | Nov switched to escitalopram 10mg | 2018 Apr escitalopram fast taper (4-8 weeks) to zero/off

2018 Nov restarted escitalopram, increased to 20mg | 2020 Jan escitalopram fast taper (2-3 months) to zero/off

2020 Aug 27 restarted escitalopram 10mg tablet, came across SA.org

2021 Feb 27 complete switch to liquid 9.8mg | Mar 7 decreased to 9.5mg | Mar 14 decreased to 9.3mg | Mar 21 decreased to 9.0mg | Apr 11 decreased to 8.8mg | Apr 18 decreased to 8.6mg | May 9 decreased to 8.3mg | May 16 decreased to 8.1mg | Jun 6 increased to 9.0mg | July 18 decreased to 8.6mg | Aug 15 decreased to 8.2mg | Sept 19 decreased to 8.0mg | Oct 21 decreased to 7.6mg | Nov 18 decreased to 7.2mg | Dec 16 decreased to 6.9mg

2022 Feb 27 decreased to 6.8mg | Mar 31 decreased to 6.4mg | Jul 5 decreased to 6.1mg | Jul 23 decreased to 5.8mg | Aug 10 increased to 6.0mg | Nov 24 decreased to 5.4mg | Dec 31 decreased to 4.8mg

2023 Feb 1 decreased to 4.4mg | May 17 decreased to 4mg | Jul 6 decreased to 3.8mg | Jul 19 decreased to 3.6 | Aug 11 decreased to 3.2mg | Sept 9 decreased to 3.0mg | Sept 22 decreased to 2.7mg | Oct 24 increased to 2.775mg | Nov 12 decreased to 2.7mg | Dec 20 increased to 3.0mg

I hold for longer periods of time when life gets stressful, usually work related.

Supplements: currently none

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Altostrata's PSSD recovery

Posted in the PSSD Post-SSRI topic:

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Spruce, I think it's obvious that my recovery from PSSD was gradual, becoming ever closer to normal over 9 years. As I'm menopausal, it's not like it was when I started Paxil about 20 years ago now.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

You know, Spruce, you don't suddenly snap back from any post-acute withdrawal symptoms. Like other symptoms, my recovery from PSSD was gradual. At about 4 years, genital anesthesia had dissipated and I had weak orgasms. I could have enjoyed a sexual relationship then, except I had much worse ongoing problems from PAWS. Sexual sensation improved over the next 5 years, as did other PAWS symptoms. Meanwhile, I kept getting older. At what point would you say I recovered from PSSD?

Please note that while I was recovering from PSSD, I did not have it in my head that it was permanent. I presumed it would change, like all my other PAWS symptoms.

If you look in the Introductions section for the PSSD tag, you will see a number of people who have recovered from that and from PGAD. It would be interesting to synthesize the arc of recovery from these cases.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Altostrata's depersonalization and  PSSD recovery

On 2/9/2014 at 6:12 AM, Altostrata said:

Recovery from withdrawal syndrome is so gradual and so unlike healing from anything else we're used to. Symptoms come in waves, change, and mutate into other symptoms.

This is confusing and discouraging. It seems we're going nowhere.

Yet, often when you look back on where you were 6 months ago, you can see there's been progress in healing. (Reading your Intro topic when you're discouraged can remind you of this.)

For example, I had intense depersonalization for several years. Early on, there were a few occasions where I did not even recognize the street where I lived for decades. One of these happened while I was driving. It was terrifying. But it did pass in a few minutes.

Gradually, over time, the sense of depersonalization gradually dissipated, like dark clouds getting lighter and lighter. Then, there was the day when I realized I felt fully present! What a great feeling that was.

Something similar happened with post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD). AT first, I felt complete genital anesthesia. In the first year, feeling gradually came back. Over the following years, sexual response gradually came back. Orgasm was absent, then faint, then intermittent. Now it's restored to close to normal, and libido is present (though not like it was; I'm menopausal).

There were many other symptoms that faded in the same way.

Edited by ChessieCat

• 5 months later...

Nice information Altostrata

32 years old. Male. Schizophrenia: postive sympthoms at 21 and 23 years old. Then coping with negative sympthoms (anhedonia, apathy). Nowadays working and with nice social support. 

2012 - 2020: Risperdal 10mg to Abilify 7.5mg then Switching to Abilify 2.5mg, other times 5mg/2.5mg alternating days... ; 2018: Started lamotrigine 50mg. 5mg/2.5mg Abilify alternating

2019: Tapering cold turkey lamotrigine 50mg. 5mg/2.5mg Abilify alternating

2021 - March: I discovered SurvivingAntidepressants, thanks to Altostrata and the website's community. Started with 3.6mg Abilify, hold Lamotrigine(50mg)

2021 April: 3.2mg Abilify, Lamotrigine 50mg; 2021 May: 2.9 mg Abilify, Lamotrigine 50mg; 2021 June: tried hold 2.9mg Abilify, finally return to 3.2mg. Lamotrigine 50mg

2022 July: 2mg Abilify, Cymbalta 30mg. 

2022 August: 1.5mg Abilify, Cymbalta only 10 beads.

2022 September: 1mg Abilify, 150mg Wellbutrin. At this moment, I honestly think that I need some meds to live in good conditions.

2023 February: 0mg Abilify, 0mg Cymbalta. I'm quite fine at this moment. I hope in the future also.

Thank you @Altostrata, you are a life saver to us! 🤗

Xanax 0.4mg on and off only for bedtime occasionally from 2015

2019.6 Xanax Inter-dose withdraw after 8 weeks continuous usage 

2019.6.3 100mg Zoloft

2019.6.27 CT 0.4mg Xanax cross over to 7.14mg Valium 75mg Trazodone

2019.8.29 Jumped Valium at 0.5mg

2019.12.15 Jumped Zoloft at 4mg

2020.1.4 Jumped Trazodone at 5mg

2020.6.1 95% healed with no symptoms and sleep very well

2021.4.6 Reinstated 1mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone for anxiety setback from antibiotics 2021.4.25 0.5mg Zoloft and 10mg x3 Tandospirone 2021.5.7 Jumped Zoloft at 0.25mg as adverse effects 2021.6.2Tapered and jumped Tandospirone as mild serotonin syndrome Couldn’t take Seremind (Lavender oil) neither it could also cause the serotonin syndrome 2021.6.13 1mg Cyproheptadine before bed and got better and better 2021.8.13 Bad wave don’t know if triggered by chocolate ice cream

• Administrator

You're welcome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

Happy belated birthday!

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Happy birthday 🎉🎂🎊💐🎁

Hi @Altostrata,

How did you experience the improvement of cognitive problems in your path to healing? Where these problems also one of your major symtoms? 

Citalopram augustus 2020 - 20 mg untill 14 february 2021 quit cold turkey. No alcohol use or other medicine. No surgery.  Only adviced supplements and little bit of vitamine D because of defficieny. 

• Altostrata changed the title to ☼ About Altostrata -- 11 years of protracted antidepressant withdrawal syndrome
  • Administrator

Please read the first post in this topic. I experienced disorientation, depersonalization, brain fog, and inability to concentrate for years. All very slowly went away.

• 2 months later...

Alto did the introduction of Wellbutrin cause your withdrawals to worsen?

Lexapro 1/17 - 3/17 10 mg.  Switched to Elavil 3/27/17 10 mg

Upped to 20 mg June 5, 2017 3 days, back down to 10mg June 8

Up again to 20 mg June 12, 2017 4 days, back down to 10 June 16

9/17 dropped to 9.5 mg

11/17 dropped to 9.3mg

2/18/17 dropped to 8.8 mg

February 14/2018 Adverse reaction to zofran pill at clinic

10/7/19 8.48 mg

12/22/19 7.3 mg, 2/7/20 6.5 mg, 5/23/20 5.84 mg,  5/7/23 .70 mg

• 8 months later...

@Altostrata

Happy birthday <3

It's already July 6th where I am, and I'm giving thanks for your life on this earth!

Wishing you a delicious day of feeling special and appreciated, however you choose to celebrate. 

Thank you so much for all that you do and are. I'm glad you were born!

The world just feels like a better place with you in it. 

Wishing you health, happiness, ease of well-being, safety, peace, light, lightness, love, laughter, and lots of fun and pleasure

as well as anything else you may desire! Walk in beauty <3

Happy birthday, hip hip hooray! 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

1 hour ago, Ariel said:

@Altostrata

Happy birthday ❤️

It's already July 6th where I am, and I'm giving thanks for your life on this earth!

Wishing you a delicious day of feeling special and appreciated, however you choose to celebrate. 

Thank you so much for all that you do and are. I'm glad you were born!

The world just feels like a better place with you in it. 

Wishing you health, happiness, ease of well-being, safety, peace, light, lightness, love, laughter, and lots of fun and pleasure

as well as anything else you may desire! Walk in beauty ❤️

Happy birthday, hip hip hooray! 

Happy happy birthday @Altostrata! Thank you for being you and for your precious efforts that have helped us all. God bless you and may you have a wonderful day and year ahead! Lots of love and respect!

An incredible woman and a remarkable tale of courage in the face of adversity. All of us who frequent this site are immensely endowed to the work you have put in, all whilst battling your own prolonged journey. You should write a book and it should be mandatory reading for every physician permitted to prescribe these drugs, and it should be in every doctor’s surgery circumnavigating the globe.

Thank you Altostrata, and I wish you well on your birthday. 

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• 3 months later...

Hi altostrata, 

When you developed insomnia how long did you go without sleep for?

I'm assuming there were gradual improvements like an extra hour or 2 after a few months?

Escitalopram:10mg 2010 - 2014 switched to - Fluvoxamine:300mg 2014-2021 many attempts at tapering, finally off Olanzapine:5mg June 2020

2.5mg, 2mg, 1.5mg, 1mg, .75mg, .5mg, .25mg, 0mg June 2021 Clomipramine 75mg 2020 Dec 50mg 2021 mar37.5mg 2022 june 25mg 2022 Aug 18mg 2022 oct15mg 2022 nov 12.5mg 2023 Jan

9mg 2023 Feb 7.5mg 2023 mar

• Administrator

I was unable to sleep at all for many weeks. It took very gradual improvement over several years for my sleep to return reliably.

Hi Altostrata,

Did you go into psychosis after the lack of sleep? Or if not, how did you avoid that?

July 2008. 1st Psychotic episode.      April 2016. 2nd Psychotic episode.        

August 2018.  3rd Psychotic episode. Hospitalized. Fall of 2018. Started Risperadone after the hospital. 

April 2019. Stopped Risperadone and replaced it with Abilify. I forget the dosage. 

1st try tapering off Abilify, (Fall 2020) got down to liquid Abilify (maybe .25mg or lower, I forget exact dosage) and almost went back into psychosis. Reinstated Abilify to stop psychosis. 

2nd try tapering off Abilify (2021)  Failed. But did not go into psychosis this time. Reinstated Abilify at high dose.

3rd try tapering off Abilify (2022) Went into psychosis June 2022. Self harm, hallucinations. Hospitalized after almost 4 years hospital free! 10 mg Abilify (morning) and 15 mg Abilify (night) in June 2022 at hospital.

4th try tapering off Abilify: September 2022. back down to 5mg. Abilify. January 2023: down to 4mg. Abilify.     March 2023: down to 3mg. Abilify    July 2023: went back up to 4 mg Abilify. 

• Administrator

No, I did not "go into psychosis", I was simply miserable. I doubt you're going to be able to figure out what's going on with you by examining my symptoms.

• 4 months later...
  • Mentor

I just want to say thank you, @Altostrata, for everything you've done to advocate not only for your own health, but for thousands of others.  No doubt you have saved countless lives!  This site serves as a beacon of light and hope in the darkened world of psychiatry. ☀️

b04119b349660ee3d17d397a1cfdfc44.jpg

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• Administrator

Awww, thank you!

@Altostrata Do you have any symptoms left or have they all resolved?

Lamictal July 6,2022 -September 2, 2022 started at 25mg and increased 25 mg every two weeks
Buspirone august 29, 2022- September 14 2022

0.5mg Ativan October 22- 2022, November 5, 8, 10, 12-2022, January 12. Feb 4,6,25,27-2023, March 1, 21, 24, 26,27, 28, 29 -202

@Altostrata your story is so encouraging for all of us. Gives hope. You are a strong woman and i congratulate you for that. 

I read that you wrote that at one point,after a several years of withdrawal, things got worse and you had to stop working and had lost ability to sleep. After that you found a doc that helped you heal. My question is do you think you would ever heal if you havent found that doc and started on a tiny dose of lamictal? Also, it seems like your wd was getting progressively worse if after a several years you lost ability to work and sleep. Is it normal for wd to get worse and worse for years?

Hugs

Zoloft 09'-10' 50mg
Zoloft 50mg May 2019- April 2021, CT but tinkering with doses before CT

• Administrator
On 3/18/2023 at 1:45 PM, Medved said:

Is it normal for wd to get worse and worse for years?

If you do things that revive withdrawal syndrome, such as drink alcohol, take other drugs, take antibiotics. or go into a very high-stress job situation as I did, withdrawal syndrome can get worse again.

1 minute ago, Altostrata said:

If you do things that revive withdrawal syndrome, such as drink alcohol, take other drugs, take antibiotics. or go into a very high-stress job situation as I did, withdrawal syndrome can get worse again.

So doing stressfull things like working could prevent healing?

Also, can you please answer me do you think you would heal if you never went to that doc and went on lamictal?

Zoloft 09'-10' 50mg

• Administrator

I believe you've been told repeatedly that high stress -- not necessarily a normal job situation -- might make withdrawal worse.

I cannot tell you what might have happened in an alternative universe. Please stop asking me unanswerable questions.

15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I believe you've been told repeatedly that high stress -- not necessarily a normal job situation -- might make withdrawal worse.

I cannot tell you what might have happened in an alternative universe. Please stop asking me unanswerable questions.

Hi,so first of all i didnt know those were unanswerable questions to you. No need for that kind of attitude. This is the last place,and you are the last person where i'd expect such an attitude. What did i do to lose ur patience so quickly?

Sorry but this is all too confusing and makes little sense to me. You have just stated that you dont know if you would ever heal if you havent taken lamictal and at the same time you are an anti-psyche med and dont ever advise anyone to take meds in withdrawal. And if someone asks if taking mends would help, you advise her/him to go on websites that talk about taking meds. And you were the first one that took meds to heal. Because the logical question arises here, and the question is if we all should also try taking meds to heal? And how and why dont you advocate taking meds when the meds were only thing that helped you. Dont get me wrong please, but i try to make logic out of all this and it doesnt makes sense. Maybe i am stupid but please,be kind enough to help me understand. I so desperately want out of this.

Zoloft 09'-10' 50mg