Lilu

Inositol

Lilu

I tried it recently (specifically for trying to overcome obsessive thoughts) and had to abandon it.

I found it to be sedating in a sense -- although more in a zoned out, disconnected manner that became unpleasant.

Your experience may vary, of course. I haven't tried it, but there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for magnesium as a supplement to aid with insomnia. My son uses melatonin and believes it provides help.

Good luck.

Inositol is very affective for obsessive/compulsive tandencies. I've tried it and saw a difference

compsports

I tried it recently (specifically for trying to overcome obsessive thoughts) and had to abandon it.

I found it to be sedating in a sense -- although more in a zoned out, disconnected manner that became unpleasant.

Your experience may vary, of course. I haven't tried it, but there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for magnesium as a supplement to aid with insomnia. My son uses melatonin and believes it provides help.

Good luck.

Inositol is very affective for obsessive/compulsive tandencies. I've tried it and saw a difference

Well, I took inositol one night a few nights ago to help with sleep. It didn't help that much but due to human error:), I can't really say whether it was effective or not. It did seem to improve my mood and energy in spite of not sleeping that well.

So the next night, I took it to get back to sleep and it worked moderately well. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the mood and energy boost as much which could have been due to a million other reasons. But I get paranoid when reading how much difficulty serotonin based supplements can cause so of course, I easily blame it when perhaps I am being unfair.

I may try it again in a few days just to see if I have a similar experience.

CS

johnson
On 4/30/2013 at 10:25 PM, 'compsports' said:
On 10/2/2012 at 11:08 AM, 'Lilu' said:

On 8/7/2012 at 7:56 PM, 'inmediares' said:

Good luck.

Well, I took inositol one night a few nights ago to help with sleep. It didn't help that much but due to human error:), I can't really say whether it was effective or not. It did seem to improve my mood and energy in spite of not sleeping that well.

So the next night, I took it to get back to sleep and it worked moderately well. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the mood and energy boost as much which could have been due to a million other reasons. But I get paranoid when reading how much difficulty serotonin based supplements can cause so of course, I easily blame it when perhaps I am being unfair.

I may try it again in a few days just to see if I have a similar experience.

CS

Just don't take it long term. I took it for three years and it messed me up in many ways including

sexual dysfunction!

Edited by ChessieCat
reworded obscenity

compsports

Yesterday, I decided to take Inosoitol in the morning in the hope that a serotonin based supplement would quell  my food cravings and make it easier to stay awake during the day. Well, it didn't really do that but interestingly, the urges to fall asleep after eating no matter what I ate disappeared.  I felt like a normal human being after eating instead of a drugged person.

After I ate dinner, while I was definitely tired and struggled to stay awake until my 9pm bedtime, I didn't feel the uncontrollable urge to lay down to get immediate relief from normally would feel like a drugged state.

Unfortunately, I didn't get better sleep due to unintentionally taking the mask off which which resulted in horrible apnea filled sleep. But that is another post.

Since I am concerned about long term affects (yes, I worry even that supplements have them), I am skipping it today to see if I can get away with not taking it. But I find it interesting it can have this effect on the metabolism of food.

CS

Barbarannamated

Good news, CS!

compsports

Unfortunately, due to feeling like cr-p due to lack of sleep, I am not seeing it as good news. :) But you're right to point out that it is.

CS

compsports

Well, I didn't take it yesterday and had the same problem in needing to lie down after dinner to get relief from a feeling of being drugged after eating. So Inositol will now become a daily supplement unless I develop side effects.

CS

Altostrata

Very interesting. I wonder what the inositol is doing. Blood sugar regulation?

compsports

Very interesting. I wonder what the inositol is doing. Blood sugar regulation?

Hi Alto,

That is what I suspect and there seems to be some anectodal evidence that it does help with that.  But of course, there is nothing definite.

Yesterday, I had a weird experience.  I struggled greatly in staying awake after dinner.  However, I didn't feel so comatose that I had to lay down and was able to stand up against a wall which is one of my coping mechanisms. But strangely, I fell asleep momentarily while listening to a podcast and it seemed to affect my ability to get to sleep later than night.  I finally did by eating celery but lasted only only a brief time on the pap machine which once again has caused me to feel like cr-p.

Sigh!

CS

tezza

Hi CS,

My heart goes out to you, you've been struggling with this so long, now. Losing sleep does make one feel like cr@p.

I hope you get some relief very soon!

{{{HUGS}}}

compsports

Thanks Tezza, I will really appreciate your support. Yes, it is very frustrating but all I can do is keep moving foward and trying to apply what I learned from the previous day.

CS

compsports

Skipped the Inositol yesterday as i didn't think it was helping that much and had my worst night of sleep. Do serotonin based supplements cause withdrawal symptoms?

CS

Altostrata

It might not have been withdrawal, maybe the inositol was helping in a way you couldn't distinctly feel. Here's some explanation about how inositol supplements may affect someone: http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2011/05/inositol-nervous-systems-pony-express.html

Inositol does not sound like a serotonergic per se. Rather, it's a precursor of niacin. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/ans_ej949_Inositol_hexanicotinate_op_en_REV.pdf http://accidentalscientist.com/2009/06/niacin-adventures-part-1-natures-prozac.html

You might find a small amount of niacin to be helpful http://www.livestrong.com/article/506689-taking-vitamin-b3-to-help-with-sleep/ http://www.livestrong.com/article/486923-niacinamide-insomnia/

Unless you were taking inositol around the clock, I would not expect withdrawal symptoms.

compsports

It might not have been withdrawal, maybe the inositol was helping in a way you couldn't distinctly feel.Here's some explanation about how inositol supplements may affect someone:http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2011/05/inositol-nervous-systems-pony-express.htmlInositol does not sound like a serotonergic per se. Rather, it's a precursor of niacin. http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/scdocs/doc/ans_ej949_Inositol_hexanicotinate_op_en_REV.pdfhttp://accidentalscientist.com/2009/06/niacin-adventures-part-1-natures-prozac.htmlYou might find a small amount of niacin to be helpful http://www.livestrong.com/article/506689-taking-vitamin-b3-to-help-with-sleep/http://www.livestrong.com/article/486923-niacinamide-insomnia/Unless you were taking inositol around the clock, I would not expect withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks Alto, those are very helpful links.

I don't know what I am going to do at this point.  I fear chasing the "perfect" sleep supplement will turn out to be the same type of game as chase the "perfect" med. But not sleeping stinks so I need to think about this.

CS

compsports

It looks like what I was experiencing was rebound insomnia.  Last night, I had my "normal" crappy sleep mostly off of the machine.   That is why I am so leery of taking anything but I have to make some decision.

CS

Altostrata

Rebound from inositol?

compsports

Rebound from inositol?

That is what I think.

Nadia

Hi everyone... I'm now three years off ADs and as some of you know, doing much, much better. Recently my sleep has really, really improved, almost to the point of being normal. I can sleep 8 or 9 hours on most nights!

I thought this was due to recovery, but I just realized that there is a correlation between my good sleep nights and taking inositol powder. Last night I forgot to take it, and sure enough, I woke up pre-dawn like I used to. I have had a lingering suspicion the inositol was having a positive effect...

Last month I didn't take it for two weeks because I ran out and I had bad sleep again. I thought it might be due to other factors, so I was analyzing my notes today and there is a clear pattern here! Just about the only clear pattern I've ever seen with taking supplements.

So I looked it up on the internet, and, sure enough, people report it helping with insomnia. So, I thought I'd mention this in case it could help anyone else. I take 1tsp of the Jarrow's formula powder at night. I started with a 1/4 tsp. and looking at my notes, if anything, it made things worse at first. I saw on a forum that people have to experiment to get the right dose. I guess 1tsp. is it for me! And I am really impressed that I haven't gotten a paradoxical reaction, like I did with everything else I tried! Maybe it made a difference that I wasn't taking it with any expectations of it helping my sleep??

Nadia

Oops... just realized I forgot to mention that I have been taking inositol to help with fertility issues. That is what I meant about not having any expectations about it helping with sleep. I have been using it in hopes of lowering my testosterone.

Now I'm reading all sorts of things about it helping with anxiety and insomnia and calming mental chatter. Maybe a lot of my improvement has to do with the inositol! I made sure to take it last night and, presto... another 8 hours of solid sleep.

I was hoping I was sleeping better on my own, but it still is comforting to know there is something so innocuous I can take that will fix my sleep.

One thing... at first taking a full tsp. would make me slightly nauseous. That lasted for like three days. I saw a post on here about someone thinking inositol was helping them NOT fall asleep after meals. I want to do more research on this stuff! But maybe I'll just let it be and enjoy the benefits without trying to analyze it. I wonder if this would have helped me in the earlier stages of withdrawal.

alex

Very happy for you Nadia; you are living proof that w/d ends eventually.

Sending good vibes so your family gets bigger soon.....

Hugs, A.

ndmaar

Does it affect testosterone much? I.e. would it be sensible to take it long-term for males?

According to its effects, it could be beneficial for people in withdrawal and such.

ndmaar

Not sure where my mind was when I thought inositol could be beneficial for people in withdrawal. Probably for people with psychiatric conditions, but not for those in early withdrawal and disregulated GABA system.

I took inositol mainly with purpose of treating my OCD, and after the first dose it even seemed to work on that, but after a second dose I had a very bad reaction. It seemed to affect serotonin and GABA systems. It disrupted my sleep, appetite, for next several days I had spells of extreme depression, hysteria and inner shaking.

Thankfully it didn't send me too far back in the recovery process.

Be careful, everyone.

Nadia

Personally, I'm still getting benefits from the inositol, as long as I don't take it too many days in a row (in which case it stops having an effect on my sleep). I had a relapse lately and have been taking it when I wake up with panic pre-dawn. It calms me down enough to be able to go back to sleep.

Lilu

Oops... just realized I forgot to mention that I have been taking inositol to help with fertility issues. 

Did it help with your fertility issues?

Reflex

Hi
I am back on Ad's but still experiencing issues with sleep. So I have been looking on this forum for self help with withdrawal effects.

Anyone have experience of their sleep returning to normal (what ever that is ) after going back on Ad's ?

I have ordered some magnesium spray as I don't really want to take any supplements yet other than omega.

I was also wondering about Swanson 100% Pure Inositol Powder (227g).

Any experience or advice welcome.

Thankyou

Lilu

Hi

I am back on Ad's but still experiencing issues with sleep. So I have been looking on this forum for self help with withdrawal effects.

Anyone have experience of their sleep returning to normal (what ever that is ) after going back on Ad's ?

I have ordered some magnesium spray as I don't really want to take any supplements yet other than omega.

Thankyou

The symptoms you were having is classic withdrawal. I cannot believe a doctor started you out on 100 mgs of Sertraline (Zoloft in US). That is way too high.  Most of the time a tiny dose is all that is needed to curb withdrwal symptoms. 5mg of Lexapro (escitalopram) or 10 mg of Prozac would have been enough.  Zoloft is know to cause headaches and nausea in a lot of people.  That said, I think you insomnia is still present due to withdrawal. It could be the Prozac as well too.  A lot of antidepressants will initially cause insomnia.  You just need to let your body stabilize.   For me, Lexapro was the most sleep-friendly medicine, but we all react differently.

alizarin

Hi,

Would you be kind enough to tell me what type/ brand of Inositol you'd recommend?

Thank you.

Meimeiquest

I don't know if Nadia is active here now. I use NOW brand inositol, from Amazon, as it is cheaper than capsules. It helps me, but isn't magical.

Earthworm

Hi

Thankyou

I use that Swanson inositol powder, I thought it's good quality product and price.

Meimeiquest

I have been using high-dose inositol to speed up my benzo taper and it has been amazing. But I took a whole pound over six days!!! The pdoc sees it more as a switch from a benzo to inositol than a taper. I feel so much better as the benzo dose drops.

Meimeiquest

This is an article, without any citations, about inositol. I have reduced my benzo dose by about 50% in a little under a month. Before that I was only able to move in the tiniest of changes. Standard reminders that everyone is different and try anything new very slowly applies. This article claims inositol can reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors, among other things.

http://www.ocdrecoverycenters.com/about/prot_inositol.html

mammaP

I thought I might give inositol a try but am a bit confused about the dosage. The article in the link mentions 6-16grams per day but capsules come in 500mg mostly and one says 1 a day at 500mg. To get 6 grams  upwards would be an awful lot of capsules! Is it best to get powder and weigh it? Or is it concentrated somehow with capsules? NOW brand does inositol with choline capsules, has anyone tried that combo? 

This is an article, without any citations, about inositol. I have reduced my benzo dose by about 50% in a little under a month. Before that I was only able to move in the tiniest of changes. Standard reminders that everyone is different and try anything new very slowly applies. This article claims inositol can reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors, among other things.

http://www.ocdrecoverycenters.com/about/prot_inositol.html

Meimeiquest

Oh, MammaP if something, anything, would help you sleep I would be over the moon. Who knows if this would help, you are indeed a special case :)

The directions from Mensah were 650 to 1950 mg up to three times per day. When I was taking it before I started my benzo plunge, I took 1/4 tsp. of NOW powder which was 730mg. That was calming of daytime anxiety, anything more made me sleepy. As I progressed on the other supplements, I gradually stopped needing it. At night I slowly increased to 1/2 tablespoon which would be 4380mg and the effect was still a little spotty. I would repeat in the night sometimes, but had to be careful because if I took it too late I had trouble getting up for work.

Now that I am crashing through the benzo taper, I take 3 tablespoons (6480 mg) at bedtime and 2-3 tablespoons if I wake up in the night. Usually I don't sleep well even with that on the first night of the cut, and I will sleep through the second dose usually by the second or third night. I take 1 tsp to 1.5 tsp at a time in the daytime as needed. The number of doses varies a lot and it usually works within 45 minutes. I don't know if that is a good idea for anyone. The pdoc was saying that would be better than oxazepam for me, which doesn't necessarily mean it is good. True Hope/Empower Plus recommends up to 20 grams a day while coming off meds (not that I am recommending them).

NOW sells several forms of inositol. I get the powder because it is much cheaper, and I just measure it with a measuring spoon.

If you try it, please let us know how it goes.

Meimeiquest

The pdoc said mania has been reported with inositol use. That link says it can counteract the effects of lithium...there might be a connection there. It also causes GI problems for some people (including me), and it contains carbohydrate so it is giving me carb cravings and I am gaining weight. Whatever.