Inositol

Lilu

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

• 10 months later...

Choline-Inositol capsules for intrusive thoughts?

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried taking choline-Inositol capsules to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms of intrusive thoughts? One person in a Facebook SSRI withdrawal group said they had success with 250mg 3 times per day. Anyone know any more about this? Thank you :)

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

My son who is in withdrawal's history:

2006 - 2021 Started on Celexa 10mg, increased to 20mg then 40mg.

May 2021: Started to taper off. Down to 0mg by end of July under doctor's care.

September 2021 started 200mg magnesium twice per day, 1000mg fish oil once per day, Vitamin D3, and 100mg N-acetyl cysteine twice per day.

Oct. 12, 2021: Reinstated at 1mg liquid Celexa per day to hopefully alleviate intrusive thoughts (never had them before quitting Celexa).

Nov. 1, 2021: Was supposed to increase to 2mg Celexa per day, but he was accidentally only taking 0.1ml per day. 

Nov. 18, 2021: Increased to 2mg liquid Celexa per day after realizing he was not taking the correct dosage for 17 days.

Dec 29, 2021: Increased to 3mg liquid Celexa. Jan 31, 2022: Increased to 4mg liquid Celexa.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, some advice here would be appreciated. I am now three years past taking my last seroxat tablet. I would say that mentally, I consider myself 95% healed. Physically is a different story, but I’m getting there.

However, over the past week, out of nowhere, I have been suffering anxiety (without anxious thoughts), brain fog, and depressive symptoms. This has come as a shock, as I have been so well for so long. My wife and I are trying for a baby, and a few weeks back, our fertility doctor gave me some “male fertility” vitamins to help things along. I haven’t taken them religiously, but last week, I took one every day for 7 days.

My wife suggested that maybe something in the vitamins is causing my new issues as this is the only change to our way of living over the past few months. On checking, I saw the main ingredient was Myo-inositol (1000mg).

After doing some research, I see that Myo-inositol acts in a similar way to SSRIs. For me, it’s almost certain that my body has been thrown off course due to taking this stuff. I genuinely feel like I’m going through a mini withdrawal again, and that’s not a nice place to be.

Does anybody have any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks 

June 1997 (for one week) - 2mg Diazapam three times daily For panic and GAD

July 1997 (for one week) - 2mg Diazapam twice daily For panic and GAD

July 1997 to Aug 1998 - Seroxat 20mg daily For panic and GAD

Jan 2000 to Dec 2001 - Seroxat 20mg daily For panic and GAD  I reinstated as I was suffering from extreme nausea and dry heaves plus social anxiety. I was housebound.

Jan 2002 to Dec 2004 - Intermittent use of Seroxat with doses between 10mg and 20mg daily (no records exist) For panic and GAD I do not remember why I reinstated but probably would have been anxiety symptoms.

Jan 2006 to May 2006 - 80 mg Propranolol daily For panic and GAD/high blood pressure

Feb 2006 to Mar 2007 - Prozac 20mg daily For GAD Although I do not remember, my medical notes state that I had anxiety and was feeling low.

Mar 2007 to Sep 2008 - Seroxat 20 mg daily For GAD I remember that I was suffering again with GAD and panic. Was finding it difficult to keep my job. Thinking back, I can remember periods of apathy. (prior to going back on the medication). I was also suffering from vertigo, constant nausea and nocturnal panic attacks/gasping for air and jumping up whilst falling asleep.

Sep 2010 to Nov 2018 - Intermittent use of Seroxat with doses between 8mg and 20mg daily (no firm records exist) For GAD Whilst on medication, In 2017 (Jan), first symptoms of depression appear. Mood quickly falls with extremely dark thoughts. I HAVE NEVER FELT ANYTHING LIKE IT. Thoughts of death and suicide. Severe mood crashes. Total apathy - I found pleasure from absolutely nothing (this is what scared me the most).

Nov 2018 to Jan 2019 - Seroxat Tapering down to zero (one mg per week/two weeks depending on reaction). Surprisingly comfortable withdrawal. Initial brain zaps. Even during tapering, base line mood was lifting. After 6 weeks, started to suffer anxiety in clear wave patterns (usually in the morning). On a couple of occasions, I had severe anxiety all day (with no panic attacks) which made functioning very difficult. Huge mood swings. One minute I was fine, the next my whole world had fallen apart (I'm talking in a matter of seconds). These mood swings have stopped. Baseline mood level is higher. Still get waves of sadness, dark thoughts and anxiety but the windows of feeling well seem to be getting longer. After 3 months, insomnia became a problem (for a period of about a week) and this also caused me great anxiety. I have NEVER suffered from poor sleep before. My sleeping is now slightly better but still nowhere near the level that I am used to. I still struggle with motivation, and at times feel extreme apathy ("whats the point" kind of attitude). I find it very difficult to get out of bed in the morning and my work is suffering from lack of motivation.

Hi @Robko

It's great to read you're doing so well in your recovery! Congratulations with that, and with trying for a baby. 

I'm sorry you're experiencing this wave. 

In case this is useful to you, Altostrata has recently warned about inositol here: 

On 5/14/2022 at 1:02 AM, Altostrata said:

@kostakonkordia St. John's Wort is not a good idea to recommend to people who are experiencing withdrawal. It's not a harmless herb, it's an MAOI-type antidepressant. 

Some people don't do well with inositol. Please read our discussions about these remedies in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum before you recommend them out of hand. We wouldn't want people to be taking random suggestions from members of this site who are not fully informed.

Best of luck to you, and I look forward to reading your success story in the recovery forum! 

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

Thanks Ariel!

It’s still only 1% as bad as I felt when taking the poison that is paroxetine, and during those early withdrawal days. Mentally speaking, I have never been healthier. From a physical point of view, every day is a learning curve. Meds clearly have a lot to answer for (chronic muscle pain, ED, high cholesterol (which has finally dropped back to normal), diverticulitis due to 20 years of constipation, cystitis: the list is endless). But I’ll tell you one thing for sure, I would take all of these symptoms over touching another SSRI again. Life is good!!

It alarmed me a little to see so many advocating Inositol. I am concerned that some may be jumping out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

Take care!

June 1997 (for one week) - 2mg Diazapam three times daily For panic and GAD

July 1997 (for one week) - 2mg Diazapam twice daily For panic and GAD

July 1997 to Aug 1998 - Seroxat 20mg daily For panic and GAD

Jan 2000 to Dec 2001 - Seroxat 20mg daily For panic and GAD  I reinstated as I was suffering from extreme nausea and dry heaves plus social anxiety. I was housebound.

Jan 2002 to Dec 2004 - Intermittent use of Seroxat with doses between 10mg and 20mg daily (no records exist) For panic and GAD I do not remember why I reinstated but probably would have been anxiety symptoms.

Jan 2006 to May 2006 - 80 mg Propranolol daily For panic and GAD/high blood pressure

Feb 2006 to Mar 2007 - Prozac 20mg daily For GAD Although I do not remember, my medical notes state that I had anxiety and was feeling low.

Mar 2007 to Sep 2008 - Seroxat 20 mg daily For GAD I remember that I was suffering again with GAD and panic. Was finding it difficult to keep my job. Thinking back, I can remember periods of apathy. (prior to going back on the medication). I was also suffering from vertigo, constant nausea and nocturnal panic attacks/gasping for air and jumping up whilst falling asleep.

Sep 2010 to Nov 2018 - Intermittent use of Seroxat with doses between 8mg and 20mg daily (no firm records exist) For GAD Whilst on medication, In 2017 (Jan), first symptoms of depression appear. Mood quickly falls with extremely dark thoughts. I HAVE NEVER FELT ANYTHING LIKE IT. Thoughts of death and suicide. Severe mood crashes. Total apathy - I found pleasure from absolutely nothing (this is what scared me the most).

Nov 2018 to Jan 2019 - Seroxat Tapering down to zero (one mg per week/two weeks depending on reaction). Surprisingly comfortable withdrawal. Initial brain zaps. Even during tapering, base line mood was lifting. After 6 weeks, started to suffer anxiety in clear wave patterns (usually in the morning). On a couple of occasions, I had severe anxiety all day (with no panic attacks) which made functioning very difficult. Huge mood swings. One minute I was fine, the next my whole world had fallen apart (I'm talking in a matter of seconds). These mood swings have stopped. Baseline mood level is higher. Still get waves of sadness, dark thoughts and anxiety but the windows of feeling well seem to be getting longer. After 3 months, insomnia became a problem (for a period of about a week) and this also caused me great anxiety. I have NEVER suffered from poor sleep before. My sleeping is now slightly better but still nowhere near the level that I am used to. I still struggle with motivation, and at times feel extreme apathy ("whats the point" kind of attitude). I find it very difficult to get out of bed in the morning and my work is suffering from lack of motivation.

Hey Robko, I can attest that at first I may notice anxiety relief and/or better sleep when taking inositol. After a few days of continued use, however, it turns on me and I feel pretty strong agitation/anxiety after taking it.

At this point, I only take it as needed which works out to about once a week.

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

• 1 month later...

I notice that when I take inositol I feel great because it helps a ton with my blood sugar dysregulation and I have far more energy instead of the major slump I usually get after eating.. but if I take it for more than a week it turns bad on me. I stopped taking it recently and since then i’ve been super agitated with terrible insomnia, anger and deep depression. I was very surprised to learn that inositol has a profound affect on so many neurotransmitters in the brain.. especially because it is added to most B Complex supplements. Some studies have shown it to be as effective as taking an SSRI. 

• 7 months later...

After doing some research in inositol, I decided to try it out for sleep. I took four grams of Pure Encapsulations powder about 30 minutes before bed. My results were not good. 

It took me a long time to actually fall asleep. I'd get close then jolt awake with anxiety and racing thoughts. I also started feeling nauseated. Once I eventually got to sleep. I woke up quite a few times throughout the night. In the morning when I was supposed to get up for work I felt so tired. And some of my WD symptoms showed up but much more extreme: dizziness, tinnitus, and jaw pain from clenching at night. I have had a headache most of the day and just feel very tired and unwell. 

Of course everyone's experiences may vary. But that was mine. I will not be taking it again. 

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy