SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kronymom: hi all!

kronymom

Hi everyone! I have been following this site for a little while and finally getting around to introducing myself. I am one of those so called "rare" individuals who has had an adverse reaction to an anti-depressant (citalopram).

My start date on this journey was Dec. 17 2009. I took one 10mg. pill of citalopram and my life has been totally changed (health wise that is). I spent the first 2 yrs. fighting my way out of a living nightmare.

And at current time am recovering from a relapse of symptoms brought on this past winter from trying some supplements that I shouldn't have touched. The list of issues this crap has brought into my life since then blows my mind.

I'm sure most of you know what they would be. Issues I never had before. I took the drug for some slight depression I thought I was having from progressing through pre-menopause. Now my nervous system is so screwed up that I can't take anything without it throwing a wrench in the works.

I guess I found the hard way that I can't take these types of drugs. I have always been able to take any drug that most could take so I thought I was safe in trying just one of this type. But no it was not to be. I had no idea that these worked in the brain like LSD or I wouldn't have touched them. I always had avoided any thing that would mess with the brain in this way. No one told me that these could do what they did. The health care providers always leave out so much information that would help us to make better decisions.

I am a statistic with the FDA as my NP reported my case to them and they called me to find out what had happened. All I got was we are very sorry and that was about it. And my NP basically told me after I told her about my reaction that I should have been a better informed consumer. HA! You can't do that if the info you need is being suppressed so as not to shed bad light on these drugs.

I thought they were relatively safe to try. Now I know better. My husband and kids have had to bear witness to the hell this reaction has put me through and still is. It's become part of our lives now. I have to say I don't like crying anymore because that's all I did for the first few months everyday like clockwork. Along with many other terrible things.

I had gotten back to a better place by this past December and was back to exercising and losing the weight I had put on through all of this. Until I relapsed. The problems where the same just not as severe but bad enough to keep me quite down at the beginning. My nerves right now are still very sensitive and I have to be careful of all overstimulation even on the skin.

I wanted to tell my story especially after I found Tony's adverse reaction story on this sight. His initial reaction was stronger than mine but so similar in many ways. We communicate now through his FB psych drug reaction group. I also thought this sight and the members here would help in this journey also.

Your all in my prayers and please keep me in yours. I sure need them. My faith has been THE thing that has been bringing me through this long tunnel of darkness. I hope someday I will be able to see the light at the end of this tunnel. The nerves take sooooo long to heal. UGH! Thanks for reading any questions or comments are welcome, Jill :)

Edited by KarenB
Alto - added paragraph breaks. Karen - added tags

HI nice to meet you.  What happened exactly?  What were your symptoms when you took the Citalopram?  I am trying to get off of it now.  I have been on other meds in the past.

When you said any meds will now throw a wrench into the works by upsetting your system.  This is true for me and many others.

If you are having menopausal symptoms read up on bio-identical hormones.  For me, I cannot function without them.  A doctor recently told me he did not believe in using anything other than estrogen and would not fill my prescription.  It sent me into a downward spiral which resulted in having WD which I was not having.

It if important to get a hormone profile done along with a thyroid check.

Having a family to help you out is not something I seen as a negative thing.  Some of us go thru this alone, no security blanket, just ourselves.  So good that you could get back to exercising.  And yes, faith can get us thru alot.

Thank you for sharing.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Welcome, kmom.

Very sorry to hear of your severe adverse reaction. At least the NP and the FDA learned something. It should definitely become more widely known that some individuals have immediate bad reactions to SSRIs.

(Which Tony are you referring to?)

What are your main symptoms now? We have some suggestions about how to cope with symptoms in our Symptoms and Self-care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for commenting.  I have had my hormone levels checked many times through all this and they are not to bad at least what shows in the blood.  And my thyroid is good also.  I have been using bio-identical hormones for a few years now and they do help some but have to keep adjusting as my body changes.  I have to be careful because if I use a little to much right now I feel it in my nervous system.  My body doesn't like the progesterone very well at all the last few months it gives me PMS big time with only using very small amounts so I have had to back off from that for now.  It stinks but it is my lot at this point in life.  I'll make it one way or another though.

As far as other types of drugs messing with my nerves, I have from this reaction autonomic nervous system issues.  If I take a vitamin, food supplement or even another drug it sets off my nerves and causes a rush through my whole nervous system.  It gives me high terrible anxiety and fear and my head feels like its going to pop off my neck and slows my cognition down tremendously.  You can tell it's in the nerves because it is not caused by anything that I am thinking or worried about (like I don't have enough) but it comes on a few seconds or minutes after I take something I shouldn't.  So obviously after this latest relapse I will never touch a vitamin or supplement ever again.  I have not ingested any type of OTC drug at all since this happened 3 1/2 yrs. ago. And I will have to pick my battles carefully as it will take months and a year or more to re-heal the nerves.  Oh yeah and it causes mental issues along with all the physical problems as well.  That's the real fun part feeling not like yourself at all.  You want to crawl in a hole and hide from yourself until it's over. 

My main symptoms now with this relapse are just going through windows and waves of varying symptoms such as anxiety, some mental stuff, watching what I eat such as staying away from caffeine, excess sugar and carbs and some spices still at this point. Also muscle and nerve pain down into the heels of my feet and other areas of the body.  I did have brain zaps back at the beginning when this all started 3 yrs. ago but those are gone now.  This also can make you cry like you wouldn't believe.  So I don't like to crying at all unless I have to.   

I had to learn how to deal with this and mostly just leaving things alone and letting the nerves rest as much as possible and very low stress is how this can "heal".  I wish it was total healing but alas it may not ever totally or may be many years. 

There is a video posted on this site of a man (Tony) who had a severe adverse reaction. He is the one I am referring to.  He has helped me a lot in becoming even more knowledgeable in how to deal with this condition.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3997-youtube-man-tells-of-immediate-severe-adverse-reaction-to-ssri/

Thanks for reading hope this gives some more insight into this condition.  Thanks.

• Administrator

Yes, almost everyone on this site is personally acquainted with the mental and physical symptoms you describe.

Please do look at the Symptoms and Self-care forum for ideas that may help you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

kronymom, how are you doing now?

I'm getting there slowly but surely. Having the setback has helped me to realize that I am not as I was before the reaction. Possibly may never fully heal to the point where nervous system is the same as before. It's not easy to always have to be so careful but that is what I have had to do since all this started. Takes time to come to terms with such a radical change in health. Like having an accident that you didn't expect.

At this point yet I don't do heavy exercise. If I eat to much starch or sugar at a meal I still get some helium head for a while after the meal. And I space those meals out to special occasions and some here and there. To much of a sugar rush to many days in a row and it starts bringing on anxiety again and feeling off in the head. So I know that I have to go back to my low carbing right away again. Plus at my age (49) the sugar puts weight on fast. So this condition keeps me from overdoing it for to long. Sometimes my cognition feels slow can't tell if it's the drug reaction or pre-menopause or probably both. I do have some sharp nerve pains in my toes at times and muscle pains in thighs and upper arms. Even some muscle pains in the trunk part of my body. I think the sugar and also hormone fluctuations can bring those on. Sometimes those pains can still hurt pretty good.

I gain back more as the months go by which is nice but still try to be careful not to hurt myself by doing something I shouldn't. I have not touched an OTC drug at all for the last six years as I don't dare. I would rather deal with whatever than take a chance with another setback. I only do things that I know are safe for me to do as with this condition you don't get a second chance if you mess up. Nerves don't like being messed with at all. I'll never do chiropractic again as that doesn't do anything but screw me up. My dentist won't see me because I don't want x-rays unless it's absolutely necessary. Not taking any chances. I'm probably a little OCD but it's for my own protection. Basically just staying with the same routine most days.

To much stress can still be hard at times also. Have to be careful about that and what I let myself watch on tv or listen to.

And also if I do overdue the sugar and wheat especially I can almost feel like I have a hangover in the morning. Weird. This whole thing has definitely changed how my brain reacts to things. I guess some type of brain damage?

But just hoping and praying that I can keep moving forward in this journey and not backwards again.

One more thing I also have is unrelenting head noise that has never fully gone away. I just have had to habituate to it. And ear pain sometimes also.

I read somewhere that is a sign of drug induced damage. I just pray it never gets louder for any reason.

Thanks for asking how I'm doing no one other than my husband and kids knows how bad this whole process has been. It's nice to have a group of kind people who understand what we all go through.

Take care and thanks for this group.

• Administrator

You're very welcome, kronymom.

Did you ever try fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. This could help the pain and odd head feeling.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Kronymom,

I hope you're settling into things here.  I always think just being able to chat with others in the same boat helps heaps.  Would you be able to add a signature so we can more easily see your situation whenever you post?  - Thanks.

Some links about healing: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mea-NdKBpUQ

BeyondMeds

Neuro-Sculpting

There are lots of reassuring things in there!

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 4 years later...
  • Administrator

@kronymom, how are you?

• ChessieCat changed the title to kronymom: hi all!