SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Meditation while living. Not just 25 minutes a day on a cushion http://wp.me/p5nnb-9Cb

GiaK

new post I thought might be helpful to some...this sort of thing has helped me cope greatly with the withdrawal...early on I couldn't do more than 30 seconds at a time...but over time I've developed quite a profound practice:

original link: http://wp.me/p5nnb-9Cb

I love the part in the below excerpt about meditating on a noisy train. This is something I often do, that is, meditate in places people don’t conceive of being appropriate spaces. Meditation is much more about being wherever you are fully in the moment then it is about being in a silent place with no distractions.

While being in a silent place with no distractions can certainly be lovely, healing and  necessary at times, it should not rule out practicing mindfulness anywhere and everywhere. Once you learn more mindfulness meditation it can be practiced while doing EVERYTHING including and especially during mundane tasks such as washing the dishes. It can transform those tasks into experiencing life deeply even while doing things you might have at one point thought of just as a chore.

Excerpted from Ode:

Interested in trying meditation, but still don’t think you have the time? Beginning meditation isn’t as difficult as you might think. So, without taking any more of your time, here are five ways to fit much-needed meditation into your schedule.

1. Keep it short. You don’t have to set aside half an hour; you can start to feel the benefits with even a few minutes of regular meditation. Most advice on meditation for beginners suggests that you start with only 5 minutes.

2. Have a focus. If you don’t think you can focus while sitting with your eyes closed, it’s okay to focus on an intricate object or a candle flame. Or you can close your eyes and listen to music. The important part for beginners is to be in the moment, rather than thinking about your to-do list.

3. Have a regular time – or take time right before you go to bed. Even if you don’t go to bed at a regular time, you can always make time right before you sleep. Your sleepiness might even help your meditation, clearing your mind. And your meditation will certainly help you relax so that you fall asleep faster and sleep better.

4. Try some quick exercise and stretching beforehand. If it’s hard to shift gears from paying bills to meditating, try a very quick exercise routine. It can be as a short as a few push ups and then holding some basic stretches for 10-20 seconds each.

5. Take meditation time where you find it. After a full day of work, heading to my three-hour evening class (and then to helping a friend with a late-night art project), I realized my best bet for mediation time was the train. Of course it wasn’t the best of surroundings, and I was distracted. But I sat down, meditated to the screech of the train instead of to music and left the train much more relaxed and energetic than I had entered it. Take what you can get!

I write more about how I carry meditation into all parts of my life here: Life as a meditation: my contemplative adventure

And even more in this post that looks at being with everything fully — whatever it is that life brings wether we interpret it as positive or negative: the PRACTICE of embracing everything

And lastly it’s important to understand that meditation can bring difficulties to the fore as well. I see that as largely a good thing as one can work through it that way, but there are times when it’s important to perhaps hold off and get other support if necessary. It’s not often mentioned in pop meditation culture that there are risks involved in meditation too: Meditation: not all bliss and roses

original link http://wp.me/p5nnb-9Cb

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thank you GiaK.

They say that deep meditation works like sleep. Sometimes it's hard for me to get into the zone and other times I get caught up in doing things and forget to meditate but it so valuable especially for us. Thanks for this reminder.

Thank you. I have also found something to be very useful when going through difficult situations. I grew up Catholic & it's something my family always said. Offer it up. It helps me so much mentally to know that all of the horrible things that we are going through are not just wasted. What I do is simply offer all of the pain, anxiety whatever to God, I ask Him to join it with Jesus' passion and death and to use it for an intention. I usually offer it up for my dad or some member of my family that is going through something. I know that He does use it, and it turns something awful into some blessing for ones that we love. In the course of my life I have had to have both of my legs amputated and gone through this withdrawal hell a couple of times. This has been an invaluable tool mentally to help me keep my spirits up. It turns something nasty into an act of love. May God bless all of us on this journey. Hugs to all.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

• Administrator

Really excellent idea to get into the habit of mindful meditation whenever the opportunity arises.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy