SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Food sensitivities

Dani

Oh my! So you were taking care of your mom through your whole taper/WD. What an ordeal! My heart goes out to you!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Oh my! So you were taking care of your mom through your whole taper/WD. What an ordeal! My heart goes out to you!

Thank you very much.Yes, through the brain zaps, fogginess, depression, anxiety, tremors, extreme dizziness, good waves, bad waves, tinnitus, etc...i took care of my mom. Then after she passed, i had to help do final arrangements. I look back and wonder how i was able to do it.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• 3 months later...

food sensitivities are supposed to lessen over time, why did it become worse for me? is this natural? I used to be able to eat more foods and eat it often, but a few months ago suddenly I can't eat each food often anymore. for example I used to eat two apples almost everyday and was fine. but now I can only eat one every couple of days. eating it more often makes my mental/cognitive problems worse. its the same with other foods. I thought maybe eating them too often might be too much on my brain. I haven't been eating them often for a couple months now but its still like this. since I can only eat each food (and not all foods) in small amount and can't eat it again for a couple days to a week, I don't have enough to eat everyday, and hunger intensifies my CNS problem. I can't bear it anymore.

I used to eat a lot of fruits everyday and meat/eggs too which have antibiotics and pesticides in them,  could the high amount of sugar and chemicals have made my brain more sensitive to foods? I dont know its just a thought. but other people eat meat/dairy and their food sensitivities dont become worse..

March 2008 took Tofranil and Klonopin

CT'd Tofranil after few months

simultaneously tapered fast Klonopin, got off it October 2008

mine have become "worse" as well, but in my experience (and I don't assume this is yours) I'm simply learning to tell what is what...

I also rotate foods...and it sounds like you're doing something like that...I do not eat anything everyday...rotation allows the body to recover from any potential sensitivity before eating the food again...

if you google rotation diets you can learn more there. 

have you looked into histamine intolerance? when people feel like they're sensitive to so many foods it's often implicated. 

I've written quite a lot on the topic here:  

A mini histamine intolerance round-up

http://beyondmeds.com/2013/02/25/a-mini-histamine-intolerance/

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I'm in a similar boat as yours. Can't eat many foods and if I don't eat enough, the anxiety spikes. There aren't enough foods I can eat to rotate. What happens is that I go on a strict diet, feel better and then eat more variety of foods that end up in a place of distress.

Why not try eating organic meats, fruits & veggies that don't have the pesticides, antibiotics, etc. ?

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg
2010-2012 Zoloft 10mg to 1mg (taper)

July 2012 - Drug free!

could stress have made my brain more sensitive to foods? I've been upset and distressed everyday

stress makes pretty much everything worse...

have you tried any stress relieving practices? 

yoga, meditation, walking, epsom salt baths...(those are just some ideas)  

baby steps help...it takes time to practice doing such things on a regular basis.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

white rice is the only food I've been able to eat a lot of everyday without it causing problems. refined white foods are unhealthy but without it I didn't have enough to eat so I've been eating a lot of it everyday. I didn't think it made my brain more sensitive to foods because when I ate it, it didn't make my mental problems worse, only the other foods do. but now white rice caused an unpleasant mental hyper sensation. so now I can't eat it and can't eat the other foods often or in bigger amounts so I don't have enough to eat and long hunger makes my mental and neurological problems worse too, so I truly can't bear this anymore.

are we not supposed to eat refined white food? is too much white rice bad for the brain?

hasn't food sensitivities become worse for anyone else? why would this happen to me?

could the cause be high blood sugar? does that affect the brain negatively? doesn't white rice cause high blood sugar?

Maybe you have an acute sulfite allergy?? Or as GiaK said maybe its histamine. I read of a lady on the other site who had an acute sulfite allergy and rice was the only thing she ate for awhile untill she figured out about her sensitivities. Worth looking into...

Stress definately worsens everything.

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

There's a good overview here of food sensitivities http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30

I recently started reacting to tyramine, something that I've never noticed before. It was keeping me awake.

Tyramine
Reactions to tyramine (an amino acid-like molecule) or phenylalanine (another amino acid-like molecule) can result from eating the following foods:

• Fermented cheeses
  • Fermented
  • Sausage
  • Chocolate
  • Sour Cream
  • Red wine
  • Avocado
  • Beer
  • Raspberries
  • Yeast
  • Picked Herring
Symptoms of tyramine intolerance can include urticaria (hives), angioedema (localized swelling due to fluid retention), migraines, wheezing, and even asthma. In fact, some researchers suggest that as many as 20 percent of migraines are caused by food intolerance or allergy, and tyramine intolerance is one of the most common of these toxic food responses.

Tyramine and Migraines
Tyramines are derivatives of amino acids called tyrosine. After long periods of time, some of the tyrosine amino acids in foods such as aged cheeses or meats will naturally be converted by bacteria into tyramines. This same process can also occur in your intestinal tract if digestion is slow allowing bacteria the time to convert tyrosine into tyramine. For this reason, tyramine-sensitive individuals should take steps to support their digestive system as well as reduce foods containing pre-formed tyramine in their meal plan.

Although the reason tyramine causes toxic food responses such as migraines is not clearly understood, research suggests that people suffering from migraines may not adequately neutralize tyramine. While normally neutralized through a detoxification process in the intestine and liver before it is absorbed into the body, tyramine sensitive individuals are believed to have increased amounts of unneutralized tyramine that gets absorbed and circulated to the brain where it may interfere with normal brain functions causing the pain that is experienced as a migraine. Foods that help support the detoxification of tyramine include such sulfur-containing foods as:
  • Onion
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Garlic
  • Broccoli

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 9 months later...

I have only been able to eat about 15 whole food items for three months. Adding in a food seems to take about a month!!

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

There's a good overview here of food sensitivities http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30

I recently started reacting to tyramine, something that I've never noticed before. It was keeping me awake.

Tyramine

Reactions to tyramine (an amino acid-like molecule) or phenylalanine (another amino acid-like molecule) can result from eating the following foods:

• Fermented cheeses
  • Fermented
  • Sausage
  • Chocolate
  • Sour Cream
  • Red wine
  • Avocado
  • Beer
  • Raspberries
  • Yeast
  • Picked Herring
Symptoms of tyramine intolerance can include urticaria (hives), angioedema (localized swelling due to fluid retention), migraines, wheezing, and even asthma. In fact, some researchers suggest that as many as 20 percent of migraines are caused by food intolerance or allergy, and tyramine intolerance is one of the most common of these toxic food responses.Tyramine and Migraines

Tyramines are derivatives of amino acids called tyrosine. After long periods of time, some of the tyrosine amino acids in foods such as aged cheeses or meats will naturally be converted by bacteria into tyramines. This same process can also occur in your intestinal tract if digestion is slow allowing bacteria the time to convert tyrosine into tyramine. For this reason, tyramine-sensitive individuals should take steps to support their digestive system as well as reduce foods containing pre-formed tyramine in their meal plan.

Although the reason tyramine causes toxic food responses such as migraines is not clearly understood, research suggests that people suffering from migraines may not adequately neutralize tyramine. While normally neutralized through a detoxification process in the intestine and liver before it is absorbed into the body, tyramine sensitive individuals are believed to have increased amounts of unneutralized tyramine that gets absorbed and circulated to the brain where it may interfere with normal brain functions causing the pain that is experienced as a migraine. Foods that help support the detoxification of tyramine include such sulfur-containing foods as:

• Onion
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Garlic
  • Broccoli

Maybe this is what has happened to me? I dont get an allergic response, but lots of problems in my gastrointestinal system. I hardly can eat any food, have to eliminate any food with additives, I eat almost no veg, no diary products. Recently have started responding to any meat...

I am finding it really difficult to find food I can eat.

Hence, I am low with vitamin and mineral intake, feeling generally more and more weak...

It is like constant experimen, eating and monitoring my response...it has been more prominent since my effexor tappering...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• 2 weeks later...

food sensitivities are supposed to lessen over time, why did it become worse for me? is this natural? I used to be able to eat more foods and eat it often, but a few months ago suddenly I can't eat each food often anymore. for example I used to eat two apples almost everyday and was fine. but now I can only eat one every couple of days. eating it more often makes my mental/cognitive problems worse. its the same with other foods. I thought maybe eating them too often might be too much on my brain. I haven't been eating them often for a couple months now but its still like this. since I can only eat each food (and not all foods) in small amount and can't eat it again for a couple days to a week, I don't have enough to eat everyday, and hunger intensifies my CNS problem. I can't bear it anymore.

I used to eat a lot of fruits everyday and meat/eggs too which have antibiotics and pesticides in them, could the high amount of sugar and chemicals have made my brain more sensitive to foods? I dont know its just a thought. but other people eat meat/dairy and their food sensitivities dont become worse..

I wasn't aware of food sensitivities until 22 months when I stopped drinking wine and all hell broke loose. Had similar problem when drank smoothies and stopped. Now a svoid everything with sugar as causes massive exacerbations. But. I think there's a danger in cutting too much out as cutting out and reintroducing seems to cause problems. I avoid processed anything. Fruit, sadly because of the sugar in it. Alcohol and coffee. Otherwise I eat meat fish dairy veg rice and pasta . I am becoming fearful of foods because of their "side effects" and this isn't a good thing

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I used to eat a lot of fruits everyday and meat/eggs too which have antibiotics and pesticides in them, could the high amount of sugar and chemicals have made my brain more sensitive to foods? I dont know its just a thought. but other people eat meat/dairy and their food sensitivities dont become worse..

I wasn't aware of food sensitivities until 22 months when I stopped drinking wine and all hell broke loose. Had similar problem when drank smoothies and stopped. Now a svoid everything with sugar as causes massive exacerbations. But. I think there's a danger in cutting too much out as cutting out and reintroducing seems to cause problems. I avoid processed anything. Fruit, sadly because of the sugar in it. Alcohol and coffee. Otherwise I eat meat fish dairy veg rice and pasta . I am becoming fearful of foods because of their "side effects" and this isn't a good thing

About three months into my WD I figured out that food was an issue. So I did an elimination diet, and all hell broke loose. I didnt sleep at ALL for three solid straight days. And I got stuck on the ten items on the first phase of my diet. That was nearly four months ago. I can now eat 15 foods. It takes about a month to work in a food now. I guess it will get better over time. But, abrupt changes do not seem to be a good idea. I wish I would have known.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Couldn't agree more. Abruptly stopping foodstuffs was as bad as ct a drug. And set off a raft of autonomic symptoms I am still suffering from and didn't have for the first 22 months. For some peoe at least food substances are very very serious factors in withdrawal

Hello everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right area. If not, please forgive my new-member-ness ;)

I'm curious if anyone who is on or has taken sertraline (Zoloft) can tell me a bit about your experience with citrus fruit. I've really been hesitant to eat anything citrus-related--apples, lemons, oranges--because I've read conflicting anecdotes about interactions. I've also felt "tingling" on my lips after eating oranges, which has never happened before I took sertraline, and have forsworn oranges since. Anybody else have similar experiences?

I know, for instance, that you shouldn't take grapefruit because of an intestinal enzyme that has a high potential of overmetabolozing sertraline concentration in the blood. And I'm unsure what other fruits/veggies share this enzyme. If anyone has more concrete info on this, I'd be much obliged.

Other side questions: is it safe (keeping in mind that everyone is different) to eat citrus-filled fruits while on setraline? I've head many things--that if you do, you should wait between 4-6 hours for a safe metabolic level to kick in, etc., but have honestly become confused by the potential reactions or exceptions to watch out for. I'm actually a bit worried about my Vitamin-C levels, and have supplemented with some C-packed fruit snacks, but I'm even hesitant with these, especially with any "juice cocktail" combos that might have negative reactive ingredients.

Lastly, is taking a Vitamin-C supplement safe with sertraline?

Sorry this post is all over the place. I guess my major question is: What are people's experience with citrus specifically surrounding sertraline? I just really want to dig into apples and oranges again, but have scared myself in the processes. Any info (or redirection) would be exceptional.

Thanks for your time!

PanickedPat 

1 year, 8 months on Sertraline. Currently at 18.75mg. Want to wean off by the 2-year mark (October 2015). Who's with me? :)

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act; the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life. And the procedure, the process, is its own reward." --Amelia Earhart

Just speaking from my experience as I react to all sorts of things is that they change as my withdrawal continues. I am 30 months off and I used to eat bananas all the time , like two a day. If i eat a banana now I feel terrible and my mouth gets sores in it. I really find sugar the worst right now. I can't eat gluten ,dairy and a ton of foods. I have a serious sensitivity to perfumes which is ruining my life. I find eating a low histamine diet, drinking a tbsp of apple cider vinegar in water twice a day, drinking at least 2 litres of water a day and putting salt on my tongue twice a day chased by water helps. I know how you feel as I really think I have PTSD because I am so concerned about everything that enters my mouth that I have lost 20 pounds. Best of luck and try some of those methods they can't hurt as they lower histamines 

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

I guess a lot of this has to do with gut health. But I'm too ill to even make an attempt to heal that right now!! This is so frustrating!!!

Bought puffed wheat cereal yesterday because it was supposed to be the lowest in sugar. Only ingredient wheat that is put carb. Stupid me forgot my body would convert that straight to glucose. Had a bowl for supper. So here I am 630am burning palpitating and terrified. Seems to affect me even worse if I eat the problem just before bed. I had been doing so much better since I d avoided triggers

Bought puffed wheat cereal yesterday because it was supposed to be the lowest in sugar. Only ingredient wheat that is put carb. Stupid me forgot my body would convert that straight to glucose. Had a bowl for supper. So here I am 630am burning palpitating and terrified. Seems to affect me even worse if I eat the problem just before bed. I had been doing so much better since I d avoided triggers

I'm glad to find this topic.  The foods that I have become super sensitive to are mainly spices and anything caffeinated.  I can't tolerate cinnamon, ginger, cumin, pepper, onions, etc.  And of course chocolate or anything caffeinated at all.  I feel like my world has become so narrow because I love to eat healthy foods, including salads with fresh onions and herbs and tomatos (tomatos are iffy), etc.  All of these foods and spices rev up my nervous system; eating something with cinnamon is like drinking a cup of coffee for me.

Very frustrating.

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

Just to update. Resolved pretty quickly. Went out for the day with a friend. Exposure to a trigger food initially wiped me out with severe symptoms for months. Then weeks. Then about 10days . So ( touch wood) I seem to be recovering from these upsets more quickly

That's really good news!!!

I'm glad to find this topic. The foods that I have become super sensitive to are mainly spices and anything caffeinated. I can't tolerate cinnamon, ginger, cumin, pepper, onions, etc. And of course chocolate or anything caffeinated at all. I feel like my world has become so narrow because I love to eat healthy foods, including salads with fresh onions and herbs and tomatos (tomatos are iffy), etc. All of these foods and spices rev up my nervous system; eating something with cinnamon is like drinking a cup of coffee for me.

Very frustrating.

Ya, I feel ya about the spices. I tried a tablespoon of mustard and was in misery for a few days. :(

Ooooo yes this all sound familiar to me too.. if this withdrawal wernt hard hard enough with everything else... Milk , wheat, coffee , tea , sugar,sweetners, herbs , spices , the list is never ending... It's doing my head in !!! I would love a Chinese meal and not have to pay for it for days :-( my heart goes out to you all

Citalopram 15mg Feb 2009 to Feb 2013 stopped cold turkey... no withdrawal till july.. Hell on earth

Citalopram 5mg July for two weeks ... Living Hell

venlafaxin 37mg august two weeks even worst Hell

Zoloft november 2013 till Jan 2014 Hell

mirtazapine Feb for 6 weeks.. fatigue

Over the next six month tried nearly very antidepressant could not tolerate anything

tried fish oil, 5htp , nearly every herb, you name it I bought it.. system could not take anything..

Oct 2014 to November 2014 trazodone.. ooo nooo !!!

I was at my friend's birthday party today and of course I was stupid enough to stuff myself with cake and cookies... It's just so hard to avoid sugar when indulgence is such an integral part of socialization. How do you guys deal with situations like that? Do you just politely refuse and explain why you can't tolerate certain foods?

on Lexapro 10 mg 2007-2010

started tapering in March 2010, took 7.5 mg for two weeks

5 mg for three weeks, 2.5 mg for a couple of weeks

felt fine for several days, then the symptoms hit

couldn't take it anymore, upped my dose to 5 mg

stayed at 5 mg dose for a couple of weeks

upped my dose to 10 mg, followed my shrink's advice

and took 10 mg one day, 5 mg the other day

5 mg for a month, 

5 mg every other day

DRUG FREE since September 2010

in protracted withdrawal ever since

If you try to explain people will just think you are a weirdo and a fusspot. I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't happened to me. I just say am on a diet and can't break it and don't go into detail . People generally find diets boring so tend not to enquire further

If you try to explain people will just think you are a weirdo and a fusspot. I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't happened to me. I just say am on a diet and can't break it and don't go into detail . People generally find diets boring so tend not to enquire further

My food sensitivity is so bad that If I made a bad choice and ate a whole meal...let's say at McDonald's...the consequences would be horrific. Recently, just trying a couple spoonfuls of something made me crazy. I had a run in with turkey that landed me near psychotic. I'm guessing it's the tryptophan in it. It scared me to death.

My food sensitivity is so bad that If I made a bad choice and ate a whole meal...let's say at McDonald's...the consequences would be horrific. Recently, just trying a couple spoonfuls of something made me crazy. I had a run in with turkey that landed me near psychotic. I'm guessing it's the tryptophan in it. It scared me to death.

Sugar is the biggy for me. I agree the consequences are horrific

Sugar is the biggy for me. I agree the consequences are horrific

I'm glad I'm not alone!!! I thought for months no one had the severity of food problems that I did.

Ooooo yes this all sound familiar to me too.. if this withdrawal wernt hard hard enough with everything else... Milk , wheat, coffee , tea , sugar,sweetners, herbs , spices , the list is never ending... It's doing my head in !!! I would love a Chinese meal and not have to pay for it for days :-( my heart goes out to you all

Yes! It sucks!!!! As your screen name implies! Big big time....SUCKS!

I don't seem to have problems w/wheat, milk or sugar that I can tell.  I gave up wheat for a while and seemed moodier and more anxious/depressed.  What kind of symptoms do those give you?

It's anything stimulating that I can't tolerate - I get so very anxious and hyper and I can't sleep.

I miss Mexican food and cups of real (non-herbal) tea and chocolate.

But it could be so much worse!

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right area. If not, please forgive my new-member-ness ;)

I'm curious if anyone who is on or has taken sertraline (Zoloft) can tell me a bit about your experience with citrus fruit. I've really been hesitant to eat anything citrus-related--apples, lemons, oranges--because I've read conflicting anecdotes about interactions. I've also felt "tingling" on my lips after eating oranges, which has never happened before I took sertraline, and have forsworn oranges since. Anybody else have similar experiences?

I know, for instance, that you shouldn't take grapefruit because of an intestinal enzyme that has a high potential of overmetabolozing sertraline concentration in the blood. And I'm unsure what other fruits/veggies share this enzyme. If anyone has more concrete info on this, I'd be much obliged.

Other side questions: is it safe (keeping in mind that everyone is different) to eat citrus-filled fruits while on setraline? I've head many things--that if you do, you should wait between 4-6 hours for a safe metabolic level to kick in, etc., but have honestly become confused by the potential reactions or exceptions to watch out for. I'm actually a bit worried about my Vitamin-C levels, and have supplemented with some C-packed fruit snacks, but I'm even hesitant with these, especially with any "juice cocktail" combos that might have negative reactive ingredients.

Lastly, is taking a Vitamin-C supplement safe with sertraline?

Sorry this post is all over the place. I guess my major question is: What are people's experience with citrus specifically surrounding sertraline? I just really want to dig into apples and oranges again, but have scared myself in the processes. Any info (or redirection) would be exceptional.

Thanks for your time!

PanickedPat 

I get horrible zaps on my lips and tongue after eating kiwi, but I am in protracted withdrawal from tricyclics, which is a different med than you are asking about.  I will simply die if I develop a citrus fruit/vitamin C intolerance.

Some people do well with supplements, others react negatively.  I read an interaction guide that I bought from Point of Return that the following foods are no-nos while ON sertraline, but I don't know about whether they are a problem in withdrawal.  Anyway, here's what I found:

Bananas

Cranberry juice

Grapefruit

Star fruit

Tangerines

Bitter orange

If you have more questions, you can contact Point of Return yourself.  There are mixed reviews about them here on this site, but I am glad that I bought their materials and have them on hand for reference, even though I have been too scared to try actually taking the supplements.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy