Food sensitivities

Dani

If someone gets an adverse reaction from a food or a supplement during withdrawal, does that slow or stop the recovery process ? 

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018

I have struggled with this for the past 2 years. I will be 36 months off in August and in the last month my food sensitivities are getting better. I still find if I eat certain things all my muscles in my neck go extremely tight like a band going around my neck and shoulders. I have lost so much weight and was down to 124 in October when i was at my worst in the hospital. I weighed myself today and am 130. I am so excited because no matter what i did i couldn't gain weight. Your issue is a very real thing and my life has been so traumatized by my food issues

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

• Moderator Emeritus

If someone gets an adverse reaction from a food or a supplement during withdrawal, does that slow or stop the recovery process ? 

If you have a single adverse reaction to a food or supplement, its unlikely that will stop your recovery process, it may take a few hours or days for the adverse reaction to subside, or longer if it was a bad reaction, it really depends on the person and substance.

But if you develop a genuine sensitivity to something and then continue to eat that food, causing increased symptoms and stress, that would probably have an impact on recovery.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

how to tell if i'm sensitive to something  ? what are the main symptoms ? because  sometimes I eat various kinds of food and feel  mild headache or a stomach pain later but I have those  as withdrawal symptoms too !

sorry for hijacking !

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018

I find I am starting to get a bit more of an appetite so it's becoming a problem... all this dang fear!

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Still experiencing disabling symptoms.

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

August 28: increased Prozac to 1.5 mg hoping for some relief.

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

• Moderator Emeritus

how to tell if i'm sensitive to something  ? what are the main symptoms ? because  sometimes I eat various kinds of food and feel  mild headache or a stomach pain later but I have those  as withdrawal symptoms too !

A sensitivity could cause any kind of symptom really. The best way, I think is to keep very good notes of what you eat and your symptoms and you may notice a pattern. If you start to suspect that a particular food is causing problems, then don't eat it for several days, but keep notes of your symptoms. Then eat that food for a day and see if there is a change in your symptom pattern. Then repeat the experiment the next week and then perhaps the following week. If you get a symptom soon after eating that food every time, but not when you don't eat it, then you probably have a sensitivity to it.

I don't recommend doing these kinds of experiments unless you strongly suspect you are reacting to specific foods. If you are experiencing symptoms regardless of what you eat, its most likely being caused by withdrawal and not specific foods.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hello, i think during my taper i have become sensitive to some foods, it seems i have narrowed it down to mostly food with a high fat/saturated fat content. Now these reactions dont happen everytime, it seems to be a total crap shoot as to when it may happen.. but when it does it usually happens after eating stuff with high fat content like meat or food with oils in it. And the reaction can happen somewhat right after ingesting the food but more often than not it's 2 hours later when it reaches my gut, and the symptoms usually hit very fast. a whole host of things can happen such as getting really tired or getting dizzy, but usually getting depressed and anxious. I also used to think i had a histamine intolerance.. and maybe i still do to some degree, but it seems that Fatty foods are a much bigger issue for me. It's been hard to decipher between regular depression, anxiety and dizzyness that comes with just being depressed and going through withdrawals/tapering. But on the occasion that a food triggers symptoms it usually happens 2 hours after ingesting and it comes on very quickly, so quickly infact i get caught completely off guard. as opposed to the normal non food triggered lows that creep in more gradually.

anyways i know that was a long load of text there, but has anyone had any experience with fats making you feel dizzy/tired/depressed/anxious during tapers/withdrawals? or while just being on anti depressants. and could these foods just be triggering some sort of destabilizing effect in my brain that causes these sh*tty symptoms?

By the way i have searched the forums and i have found topics about food sensitivies.. but nothing really concerning fats.

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(January 17 2015) *STOPPED TAKING MIRTAZAPINE* after an unstable 2 month taper.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I am questioning if taking the drug is actually making me worse, i dunno.

Aww noone?

(November 26 2013) Had a reaction to taking CBD oil and had a panic attack that started this whole thing.

(November 9 2014) 8.6 months on Mirtazapine, started tapering down random amounts.

(February 5 2015) *REINSTATED at 3.9 MG OF MIRTAZAPINE* after nearly 3 weeks of a very unstable windows and waves pattern

(February 5 2015 ) Felt better right away after reinstating, am more stable than i was at 0mg, but am still not as stable as i was PRE-TAPER.

(April 19 2015) After waiting around 2 months from Feb 5 and i started to feel ok enough, i reduced from 3.9 mg to 3.5 mg. then continued to reduce by about .4 mg every 2 or so weeks.

The reductions were going quite smoothly and i wasn't feeling too bad in general... until...

(July 13 2015) Shortly after reducing from 1.9 mg to 1.6 mg i hit a wall and my mood started to become noticeably worse in general

(August 4) after not really improving much i reduced from 1.6 mg to 1.5 mg, and i have been holding ever since.

I feel bad in general these days despite holding, and feel im not too much better than i was during January 17 to February 5 after jumping off at 4 MG.

I haven't noticed a reaction to fats in particular, but I tend to use olive or coconut oils primarily. Sometimes, animal protein can be problematic in terms of histamine. It's all very complex and I can't pretend to understand it. Here's an article that describes research into the role fats play with histamine:

"From a practical standpoint, given that some people will clearly have a heightened inflammatory response to the absorption of long chain fats and, concurrently, not be able to deactivate the histamine produced as part of this process, it may be prudent to not overload their systems with large amounts of animal fats, in the first instance at least.  They may need some remedial therapy – probiotics, increase in omega-3 intake, digestive enzymes, etc – in order to gain a large capacity to handle these fats (if they ever can).  It is these individuals that may be better suited to a diet that contains leaner sources of meat, more oily fish, a higher intake of starchy root vegetables (with their prebiotic effect), and have the largest part of their fat derived from the non-inflammatory medium chain sources, such as coconut."

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2011/08/20/nutrient-induced-inflammation-in-the-intestine/

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Ahh thanks again spirit ;)

• 2 weeks later...

if you eliminate hard core and get things quieted down the body can tolerate more foods and reactions get less intense and you learn to tolerate them if they're not extreme...it's not a pleasant process but I am eating a large variety of foods...just different foods then perhaps I used to eat...

I know this post is from a few years ago. But, a word of caution... Eliminating food groups while in the midst of nervous system chaos does not always help the problem. In some cases, it can in fact make it worse. I only speak for myself, we are all so unique biologically etc. that to paint with a broad brush would not be wise.

I started reacting to foods soon after CT my AD. I did a period of elimination after doing food Intolernace testing. That was Oct 2014. The elimination process triggered WD big time. The day after my elimination diet started I didn't sleep for 3 days straight, amoung other hellish symptoms.

As of today, I am still stuck in only 12 foods and have had very little success adding anything new without starting a wave.

If I could go back in time, I would have never done the elimination process. It was a jolt to a sensitized nervous system that I have yet to recover from.

Again, this is my individual experience. There are some who may be helped by elimination diets. I am surely not one of them. And, I would venture to guess I am not alone.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 2 months later...

12 foods seems similar to what I can do. Wheat, dairy and nuts are still killers for me right now. Best whole foods have been chicken,Fish,Beef cooked veggies and apples.They agree with me everytime. Breakfast I find very hard. Eggs seem okay not great but decent. Looking forward to reacting better to food. Its almost like my stomach isnt welcoming food at times like it closes up.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody else had a sudden huge increase in their food sensitivities? I have had a couple of sensitivies to some foods for a while , but recently a have a huge increase.. :s , it is almost to everything..

Effexor free for 36 months. Still on 25mg of Solian.

Tapering Xanax and on a dose of 0,15mg , splitted in four doses.

Last reductions:
9/06: 1.875%
7/07: 2.5%

22/07: 1.96%

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I woke up with what looks like fever blisters on my lips.

The skin all around my mouth is very itchy, red, and stinging. Each morning

since then has looked worse and worse. This morning my lips are swollen

and more blisters, Does this sound like a food sensitivity? I'm trying to think

of anything new I've eaten or it may be just something I've become sensitive to.

The skin on my back feels prickly too, so I don't know. The stinging around my

mouth woke me several times last night. I was just wondering if these symptoms

seem to indicate it might be something I'm ingesting. Thanks for any help.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• 3 weeks later...

So, just an update here. I have been eating pretty much the same 12-15 foods for 14 months. I have added a few and lost a few due to sensitivity.

I don't know what else to do but to keep trying to add foods very slowly and in small portions. I feel like the sensitivity has almost gotten worse, but that may be just my own perception of the situation.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 31 now and I took lexapro on an off from age 19 - 27. I started getting severe asthma and swelling of throat after eating certain foods, so I eventually went to allergist a few years ago. They told me I had developed birch allergy that crossreacts with certain fruits and vegitables. I don't have traditional allergies like watery eyes or anything, I just get swelling of the throat.  I Developed a hazelnut allergy and peanut allergy. They also said I'm allergic to mold and cottonwood trees too. Also developed very bad allergy to sulphites. I drank a bottle of mike's hard lemonade and almost died to find that out. Also told me I developed an allergy to cat dander. I also get wheezing and throat swelling/intestinal distress when I eat brown rice or oats-which is weird because those are the two foods I ate most in my 20's.  I take benadryl when I have a very bad reaction and I have an inhaler.  This has basically ruined my life. I can't go over to anyone's house who has cats, I don't feel able to start a family, travel, or eat at new restaurants.  This seems completely bizarre because I never had any problems until I was in my late 20's.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious if people feel like they're always triggered by certain foods or if those same foods seem to only trigger them sometimes.

Also, do people feel like they're usually triggered immediately or that they're sometimes triggered over time?

Last taper was off of Lamictal (Lamotrigine): Started drop from 225 mg in April 2014 by going down 25 mg every 2 weeks. Then to 12.5 mg every 3 weeks. Then 10 mg every 3 weeks. Then 5 mg after 3.5 weeks. (using the chewable, dispersible pills) I had gone down to 30 mg, but was far too sick and went back up to 35. I then dropped back down to 30 mg, then 1 mg drops until 25 mg. Dropped off completely at 25 mg because the symptoms from taking the pills were becoming more unbearable than the withdrawal at times. Completely off as of 5/11/15. Update 10/28/15: Reinstated 0.0625 mg, meant to take 0.25, measured wrong. Only took 2 days.

I've gotten off of: Abilify, PRN Klonopin (0.5-1 mg) - no taper as took it infrequently, and Effexor (300 mg). Abilify and Effexor were rapid tapers around the beginning of 2014. After tapering Effexor and Abilify I tried taking Remeron and Topamax for a short time with very bad side effects. (I have taken numerous psych drugs over the years (starting in my early teens), but these were the ones I was on when getting off completely).

On 2/9/15, received a Promethazine injection for nausea, which caused pain, numbness, burning, shooting pain and was prescribed pain meds (made me sick and didn't help), 5 days of Prednisone, and some sort of anti-inflammatory. I had been doing somewhat better with Lamictal taper until this point.

Current Supplements: Omega-3 with Co Q-10: 1000 mg x 2, Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids and Rose Hips: 500 mg x 2, Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotics

Dx: Asperger Syndrome (originally misdiagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD), GAD, and PTSD

I d say all of the above unfortunately .

I react the night/early morning after eating something not at the time of eating . I ll get burning skin, sweaty chest , palpitations, sometimes anxiety.. My reactions are becoming milder.

My sensitivities were triggered by having a couple of glasses of wine a night for a few months and this triggered histamine sensitivity. I had tolerated the odd glass of wine before it was the regularity that caused the problem. It seemed that my body would become rapidly habituated to things in WD so then stopping them and re starting them would cause havoc

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

I seem to be reacting alot more since I started withdrawals...I saw an allergist and he said I was allergic to horse, dog and dust and prescribed shots each week to get my immune system used to it.

(My allergic symtoms are eczema and I already had IGG testing to determine a number of food not to eat - gluten, dairy, citrus, yeast, pork, cabbage ....and I have always avoided prawns/shellfish and pineapples cause they make my mouth itchy...and I went paleo/AIP for the ecezema so thats no nightshades/grains/legume in addition to the above)

Pre tapering the AD my arm would get swollen after the shot, no big deal.

In my first shot post tapering, my eczema flared SO hard I felt like I was getting burned alive, from the inside. Popped and anti-histamine and continued working.

2nd shot post tapering...not as bad but my arm ended up swelling up and looked liked it was burned for 3 days.

Takeaway: I am alot more sensitive during tapering and need to keep my food pretty clean. Which is fine :huh:  Its not like I have a choice in the matter...

Prescribed Lexapro in 2003 and switched to Cipramil (5-10mg per day) 2004 with Lamictal.

Stopped Lamictal cold turkey with no withdrawals in 2014 with support of a Paleo diet. 

2003-2015 Cipramil only: 5mg 21 Dec 15: 2.5mg 28 Dec 15: 2.25mg 4 Jan 16: 1.575mg 10 Jan 16: 1.1025 11 Jan 16: 0.7875 25 Jan 16: 0.9, 1 Feb: 0.8, 8 Feb 0.75, 15 Feb 0.5, 29 Feb 0.25, 21 March 0.17, 4 April: 0.10, 25 April 0.05, 8 May 2016 0.05, 15 May 2016 NIL 21 June 2016 0.1, 5 Sep 16: 0.2 7 Sep 16: 0.15 16 Sep 16: 0.075 3 Oct 16: 0.015 17 October: 0.015, 14 Nov 2016: Reinstate 0.005, 26 Dec 16 0.0045, 2 Jan 17 0.004, 20 Feb 17 0.003, 3 Apr 17 0.002, 22 May 17 NIL. 

Supplements/Lifestyle: Low oxalate diet. Christian music all the time! B12 drops, Broccoli sprouts, Integra Nutritionals Gemmune IB, Zinc drops, Tresos Natal, Spatone Healing rooms: https://www.facebook.com/FODaustralia/videos and http://sydneyheal.com/service/time-and-location/

I d say all of the above unfortunately .

I react the night/early morning after eating something not at the time of eating . I ll get burning skin, sweaty chest , palpitations, sometimes anxiety.. My reactions are becoming milder.

My sensitivities were triggered by having a couple of glasses of wine a night for a few months and this triggered histamine sensitivity. I had tolerated the odd glass of wine before it was the regularity that caused the problem. It seemed that my body would become rapidly habituated to things in WD so then stopping them and re starting them would cause havoc

Do you ever find it hard to decipher if something is triggering you or not because of it being sporadic or over different time periods sometimes? I used to react right after eating, now it's only sometimes..and also maybe later/day after? I'm not really sure. I'm glad your reactions are getting milder though, mine are too, which is great for us! It's interesting to hear how your body reacts to regularity versus random intake of things. Do you have any thoughts on why that is?

Last taper was off of Lamictal (Lamotrigine): Started drop from 225 mg in April 2014 by going down 25 mg every 2 weeks. Then to 12.5 mg every 3 weeks. Then 10 mg every 3 weeks. Then 5 mg after 3.5 weeks. (using the chewable, dispersible pills) I had gone down to 30 mg, but was far too sick and went back up to 35. I then dropped back down to 30 mg, then 1 mg drops until 25 mg. Dropped off completely at 25 mg because the symptoms from taking the pills were becoming more unbearable than the withdrawal at times. Completely off as of 5/11/15. Update 10/28/15: Reinstated 0.0625 mg, meant to take 0.25, measured wrong. Only took 2 days.

I've gotten off of: Abilify, PRN Klonopin (0.5-1 mg) - no taper as took it infrequently, and Effexor (300 mg). Abilify and Effexor were rapid tapers around the beginning of 2014. After tapering Effexor and Abilify I tried taking Remeron and Topamax for a short time with very bad side effects. (I have taken numerous psych drugs over the years (starting in my early teens), but these were the ones I was on when getting off completely).

On 2/9/15, received a Promethazine injection for nausea, which caused pain, numbness, burning, shooting pain and was prescribed pain meds (made me sick and didn't help), 5 days of Prednisone, and some sort of anti-inflammatory. I had been doing somewhat better with Lamictal taper until this point.

Current Supplements: Omega-3 with Co Q-10: 1000 mg x 2, Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids and Rose Hips: 500 mg x 2, Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotics

Dx: Asperger Syndrome (originally misdiagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD), GAD, and PTSD

Am guessing that the withdrawal of ADs leavesots of spare receptors hungry for something to latch on to. If we feed them suitable brain active substances, like sugar caffeine histamine, and them stop them you get a sort of withdrawal process. If you start them again you get some sort of kindling/re Instatement process. That is only how I look at it

Also recommend reading Dr Janice Jonega article on histamine intolerance. Answer to why my symptoms occur at night rather than time of eating a trigger substance. Your histamine levels have to exceed your personal tolerance. So at the time of eating you might be ok, when more histamine is released during the process of digestion , your parasympathetic "rest and digest" system is operating at night, you may then be woken by eg palpitations, anxiety as histamine levels rise. Strategies might be not eating a large meal late on if you can avoid it. Dividing your food intake into smaller meals throughout the day, avoiding high histamine foods as much as possible

Cressida,

I checked out a bit of Dr. Janice Joneja. I've read stuff on histamine intolerance before and have questioned whether or not i'm dealing with it since withdrawal. I feel like I am. Anxiety seems to be my top trigger with foods, but I get the stuffy/runny nose, sore throat, hot flashes, temperature problems. Do your symptoms always occur at night or have you ever experienced being triggered soon after you ate? From what I read it does seem like triggers can be sporadic, so that's also something the rings a bell.

It's so hard to figure out what different things are causing what throughout all of this!

When the sensitivities started it was all day and night always worse at night and early morning. Earlier I would react quite quickly to foods but I don't eat the major trigger foods anymore either.i ve probably been doing what am doing now for about 6 months and no doubt have improved. Same symptoms but less so. It is very tricky. Combining foods can tip you over your histamine threshold whereas you might be able to tolerate them singly. I have no doubt I would still be in acute if I hadn't controlled my diet

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I am really struggling with food at a time when my appetite has also increased. I am trying to figure out if it's histamine but it's hard as I am so sensitive to everything;

I have looked up lots of lists on low histamine diet and even the things that are low histamine I am reacting to. I am literally reacting to everything wheat, dairy, vegetables, apples, strawberries, raspberries,lettuce, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, cabbage, eggs,mushrooms, avocado, green beans, chicken, beef, ham, bacon,herbal teas, herbs, rice, pasta I am starting to get very depressed as I had food sensitivities but in the last 7 months they have gotten worse. If it helps I'm also sensitive to perfumes, and hot water. I can't take a hot bath. The reactions from food happen straight away within few minutes of eating something. I don't know how to cope really,I have tried eating things in small bits and also fasting but I am so hungry I end up eating stuff that I know will cause slight reactions. Most of the time the reactions I can deal with they go away within a few hours but how do people survive off nothing ?

Also I should say I am 25 months into withdrawal and I literally the food thing is bringing me down. I don't take supplements but I can't eradicate veg and fruit as I'd rather get my vitamins from natural stuff, however if it's at the detriment to my recovery. I have no deals what to do?

I keep to a low histamine diet. Low sugar which includes fruit and sweet brightly coloured veg. Only eat fish once a week. Caffeine free.

Am fine with bread, fresh meat, loads of veg. Have lost 28ibs and by sticking absolutely to the diet have made real progress. You are at the difficult phase of trying to sort out what's what while being highly reactive. Been there. It does get better . Slowly

So can I ask if you are so highly reactive does this get better with more time. I mean I am literally trying everything here and it doesn't matter what it is im reacting to it all.

What did you do when you were highly reactive because I am reacting to everything doesn't matter if it's low histamine, my body doesn't like anything at the moment. Thanks for your help

Sorry my last post didn't make sense. I suppose what I am trying to say is what can I do if I am reacting to everything. I have to eat to live. So what do people do in these situations when they are extremely sensitive to all foods

Unfortunately the benefits are far from instant. I identified the main culprits. Sugar and histamine in my case. I cut sugar completely and persevered with the low histamine diet and began to gradually improve. Very gradually. Cut out caffeine that helped a lot. Its taken 16 months to get from where you are to where I am. Being very disciplined. I can't say you are the same as me we re all different. And its hell I know

I did then what I knew how to do . Now that I know better I do better. Maya Angelou

Remember . WD emotional stress puts our immune systems on high alert which makes our sensitivities and intolerances very much worse. Again I appreciate how very hard it is. Try and work on soothing yourself in whatever way works for you. I used to wish I didn't have to eat at all and see food as the enemy. Work on trying to change that mindset. I know its hard

• 3 weeks later...

after living with severe and grossly limiting food sensitivities for many years (healing some all the time but still having big problems) I've found someone who totally gets them....it's mind-boggling. It's like he's in my body and he is the very first professional person who makes suggestions that are actually helpful to me rather than harmful.

I've written two posts about the book Paul Pitchford has written. It's a dense 700 plus page book that ties together everything I've been forced to learn about my body and then answers a whole lot of other questions I've had.

So I'm sharing the two posts here in the hope that it might be helpful to others. It's from a chinese and ayurvedic perspective with a firm footing in modern understandings as well. 

I don't imagine it will be everyone's cup of tea but some of you might find it helpful. We're all different and our paths are too.

Heal with whole foods: transform body/mind/spirit. Heal drug damage too http://wp.me/p5nnb-cW4

Food and diet for profound healing http://wp.me/p5nnb-cXG 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

after living with severe and grossly limiting food sensitivities for many years (healing some all the time but still having big problems) I've found someone who totally gets them....it's mind-boggling. It's like he's in my body and he is the very first professional person who makes suggestions that are actually helpful to me rather than harmful.

I've written two posts about the book Paul Pitchford has written. It's a dense 700 plus page book that ties together everything I've been forced to learn about my body and then answers a whole lot of other questions I've had.

So I'm sharing the two posts here in the hope that it might be helpful to others. It's from a chinese and ayurvedic perspective with a firm footing in modern understandings as well. 

I don't imagine it will be everyone's cup of tea but some of you might find it helpful. We're all different and our paths are too.

Heal with whole foods: transform body/mind/spirit. Heal drug damage too http://wp.me/p5nnb-cW4

Food and diet for profound healing http://wp.me/p5nnb-cXG 

Hi Gia. Are you still unable to take many prescription drugs?

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

I have no interest in taking prescription drugs so I don't know...I haven't tried one in several years. I avoid them if at all possible and intend to do that for the rest of my life. There aren't that many reasons as far as I'm concerned to ever take them once one knows how to use food and herbs etc. In case of some sort of catastrophic health issue I'll deal with it when and if the time comes. 

Oh, the one exception is Tylenol...I've taken that a handful of times and tolerate it. I avoid that too now that I've found other ways to lower cortisol in a pinch. It's a highly toxic drug and harms the liver. 

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

woops...Tylenol isn't prescription...but it is a pharmaceutical and that's what I was thinking about. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy