SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

findingme hypnotherapy& massage therapy to help withdrawal from generic Lexapro

findingme

Hello my friends,I'm feeling the fear but planning to do it anyway ... "it" being the VERY gradual withdrawal from my long time use of both generic Lexapro and generic Wellbutrin. (..I plan to follow the Harvard study guidelines from Nov 2010...first with the Lex ,( due to the weight gain and libido issues , among MANY others,) and then, if all goes well, start the wellbutrin wean.I am prepared for this to be a VERY long process ... probably about two years.My medical doc has suggested hypnotherapy to help me deal with the traumas that caused my early depressions in the first place.She also advised yoga and meditation to help me fall asleep /and balance the wellbutrin jitters.During my own research , I came across a discussion of cranio- sacral massage as another possible alternate therapy.many blessings to all of you as you battle these pharma demons.

Since approximately 1992

have been on and off Paxil , Prozac(had a horrible reaction), Lorazepam , Celexa, Lexapro, Risperdal ( which was supposed to "kick start" the Lexapro) , and Wellbutrin...

By 2013, I was only on Wellbutrin and generic Lexapro ( 20mg)

I weaned successfully off the Wellbutrin, but by the time I was down to 10mg Lexapro, I suffered panic attacks on bridges, and creeping depression ,

July 2014, reinstated 20 mg generic Lexapro

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to SA, the people here are very helpful and supportive, it's THE place to be 

when tapering off anti depressants. 

You have really done your homework, well done, I hope your taper goes well and as pain free

as it can be.  I am interested to hear what the Harvard study recommends? I personally

haven't heard or seen that one and it's refreshing to hear when doctors/scientists etc recognise

withdrawal and the need to taper slowly.   :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, findingme.

Did you develop jitters on Wellbutrin?

If so, if I were you, I'd go off that first. As you reduce Lexapro, this could exacerbate sleeplessness, a very common withdrawal symptom.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrada,

Thanks for responding. I originally wanted to start with the Wellbutrin, but my doc thought I should begin with the Lex because of the weight gain and the loss of libido... when I asked her how I would then deal with the trouble sleeping , she said to utilize yoga and meditation. What's your read on that?

Since approximately 1992

have been on and off Paxil , Prozac(had a horrible reaction), Lorazepam , Celexa, Lexapro, Risperdal ( which was supposed to "kick start" the Lexapro) , and Wellbutrin...

I weaned successfully off the Wellbutrin, but by the time I was down to 10mg Lexapro, I suffered panic attacks on bridges, and creeping depression ,

Hi MamaP,

Thanks for responding. The Harvard study can be found at health.harvard.edu for November 2010 titled "How to taper off your antidepressant " ... hope you can find it.

Since approximately 1992

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Someone just told me about wonderful the cranio-sacral massage is for them.

I did EMT therapy during a Lexapro taper and it was very helpful.  Yoga, meditation....I really should take yoga, meditation is good too.

Good luck with your taper and let us know about how you are doing.

PS my daughter had the shakes and bad anxiety with Wellbutrin after taking it for 2 weeks.  I've heard this before.  It is a very stimulating drug.

Thank you

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks for your response , Nikki.

My first Cranio Sacral is tonight, I can't wait !

Tell me more about the Energy Movement experience ... it sounds fascinating ...

I actually haven't started my taper yet, because I'm overwhelmed by all the info out there(horror stories and otherwise)..

I'm leaning toward starting the Wellbutrin taper first , only because it seems easier...

honestly, I feel like I'm not sure about anything anymore...

but it sure is nice to have the support of this community.

ps what does "Gold Star" mean?

Since approximately 1992

Hi Everyone,

My Cranio Sacral "Massage" was almost indescribable ... I felt perfectly "mothered" and cared about in a way that I have NEVER felt before... my therapist was extremely gifted and I trusted her explicitly...

She discovered a few major areas of blocked energy ... the final one being the whammy that brought me to shakes and tears... there was a level of both connection and vulnerability in the experience was pure energy .... no veils, no interference... This is what I have searched for . possibly the lack of which drove me ultimately into my present dependence on AD's ....

wish me luck processing it all ...

xoxo

findingme

Since approximately 1992

Hi findingme

I have been thinking of having a Cranio Sacral massage. After reading your post I'm more motivated.

Do you think it would help headaches from withdrawal? Anything that doesn't involve taking a pill is what I need.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Hi Lexy,

The Cranio Sacral was one step in my self care plan BEFORE I start my weaning process... so I can't really speak for whether it will ease your headaches ... However,in the hands of a gifted CS therapist, I tend to think that areas of energy blockage that may be causing the headaches could be discovered and worked on....

Good luck

and take care,

findingme

Since approximately 1992

Terrific....it went well.  I have heard only good things about this from the two people I know who have had it.

Having a self-care plan in place is something I should do.  Keep it up. :)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

How do you find someone who performs cranio sacral? Is it the same as a massage therapist?

I am on 2.0 mg abilify for 2 yrs now.  I tired to taper every month 2.0....1.5....1.0....0.5....off.  I was fine until I jumped off at the end.  I will need to slow the taper down after 0.5.  Maybe try 0.5, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.05, 0.025...off.

8/2/17. Abilify  2.0 mg

Hi Utahgal,

Not all massage therapists are licensed in Cranio-Sacral ...

call around ... some resources might be your local health food store, a physical therapy group ,

good luck on your search,

findingme

Since approximately 1992

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone,

I had successfully weaned off Wellbutrin as of April, ..

seemed to be fine and was starting a very slow taper of Lexapro ... when I started to notice some mild depression creeping in.

Then when I was down to 10 mg Lexapro (half of my 20mg dose,) 

I began to have panic attacks on bridges ( something that led me to SSRI use two decade ago)...

I decided to go back to the 20 mg Lexapro dose...

been on that dose for 3 months...

Problem is, now I'm feeling anxious and depressed ...

I had retired a year and a half ago,

but I'm  committed to a part time job that has turned into something much bigger than I had anticipated...  I'm trying to see it through to the middle of December...

Honestly, nothing excites me or motivates me anymore 

I'm trying to just put one foot in front of the other and " show up"

My doctor recommended methyl B12 and Methyl Folate...

I tried some Buddhist meditation 

and I walk on my treadmill everyday ...

If anyone has any words of wisdom or encouragement ...

I am forever grateful,

xoxo,

findingme

Since approximately 1992

Hi FM, I think the admins will be moving this post to your thread, but I would like to say for this tapering thread that even if, or maybe because, one can stop Wellbutrin quickly, it seems a lot of people run into a trouble if they proceed directly to another taper. I think if you are able to go off quickly, you really need to rest awhile afterwards. I had to rest because I really was having problems about six weeks later and it took a long time to get straightened out.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Yes, I moved the post.

findingme, please put your updates and questions about your taper here.

meimei makes a very good point, your nervous system is already stressed from your prior taper, please treat it gently.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Findingme,

Congratulations for tapering off wellbutrin, but I'm sorry you are now having problems with your lexapro taper.  I agree that it was probably too soon to start a second taper and now the reinstatement back up to a full dose of lexapro has probably destabilized your nervous system further.  Its difficult to know what to suggest, 20mg of lexapro might be too much for you now, but decreasing would be another change.

When did you start taking wellbutrin and lexapro?

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Have the panic attacks stopped now that you are back on 20mg?  Since updosing 3 months ago, how have your symptoms changed, in general, have they got worse, better or stayed the same?

I'm sure you will be able to successfully taper off lexapro, but its probably going to take a lot longer than you would like.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Peta,

I had been on the Wellbutrin and generic Lexapro for a couple of years... my mood was good, but I had trouble sleeping at night ( probably the Wellbutrin) and had trouble with weight gain and loss of libido ( The SSRI ? )...

Although I haven't driven over any bridges lately, generalized anxiety has increased , and a mild depression has crept in... 

Looks like I messed up my CNS again ... but hopefully a long hold on the 20 mg SSRI will bring me relief.

Thanks again for your help,

findingme

Since approximately 1992

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for doing your signature findingme.  Here is our link for tapering Lexapro, for when you are ready to try again:

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)
http://survivinganti...o-escitalopram/

Do stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

A year ago October I started my taper with the words " feeling the fear and doing it anyway".\...

I successfully withdrew from Wellbutrin.. and apparently started the Lexapro taper too soon after that (last April) ... didn't realize I should have waited MUCH longer to start another taper)

So now I've been back on the Lex 20mg's since July,... but am in the throws of creeping depression/ anxiety / lack of motivation etcetc...

all the things I thought I would LOVE with abandon in retirement (travel/hobbies /socializing ... now have lost their luster...

The occasional clonazepam and glass of wine (or two) are getting me thru.. but this is NOT fun...

If there was a magic pill to make this go away , I would take it...

Luckily, my husband is very understanding, he plans enough for both of us so that I don't slink into becoming a hermit...

but I shy away from the most simple things...

food shopping, making phone calls...

I know I have to FORCE myself to be active... 

I started taking Rhodiola a week ago with the hope of raising my energy level and lowering cortisol...

so far I had one good day.... does anyone have any experience with this supplement/

Good luck to all of you out there struggling with this dis-ease ... 

My thoughts and prayers are with you all,

in solidarity,

findingme

Since approximately 1992

findingme,

I moved this post to your intro topic since it contains an update on your status. You may want to bookmark it for easy retrieval (press ctrl+D while viewing it).

We have a topic here already that discusses rhodiola but it is not a topic all by itself. See posts starting with this one.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

finding, it could be you are suffering side effects from Lexapro.

Emotional numbness and demotivation are common side effects of SSRIs.

You seemed to be okay at 10mg, are you thinking of tapering down to that level?

Thanks Alostrada, but I wasn't OK at the 10 mg Lexapro... It was at that point that the depression started creeping back , and that I started having panic attacks on bridges again ( which is why I started on AD's over 20 yrs ago.)

I feel discouraged, but continue to "fight the fight".... started reading the book "Noonday Demon"  and am trying really hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other and find small joys wherever possible.

Will be going to a warmer climate for a bit and hoping that being out in the sunshine will help ease the depression and anxiety...

This sure isn't any fun... any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...

Love to all my sisters and brothers in this battle,

Gad Bless Us Everyone,

findingme

Since approximately 1992

• Administrator

Unfortunately, those could be withdrawal symptoms.