SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Flu shots and other vaccines

mtnbkr

I know someone a former member in the forum got hit by a vacciciene while she was in the middle of tapering. You are out for 11 yrs so it's very different I would hope. Have you had experience taking any other medications lately such as antibiotic, pain killer, vitamin etc? If so any reaction to those?

I typically don't take medications but have to avoid all meds that effect serotonin as they trigger severe serotonin syndrome-like symptoms. I have the same issue with antihistamines. There are a couple of foods believe it or not that do the same thing and i had a severe reaction that lasted two months this past summer. I've done fine with a few antibiotics but wouldn't touch fluroquinolones under any circumstances. NSAIDS neither help or hurt. I do have some sensitivities to some vitamins and exercise.

Hi Light,

I have a very sensitive nervous system but when I was tapering, I had the same vaccine and didn't have any problems.  On the other hand, when I had conscious sedation in March for a tooth extraction, the hand in which the solution went into mysteriously shriveled up before the problem cleared up after two weeks.    And I had finished my taper in 2010.   So who knows?

How serious is the finger cut?   Did you need stitches?  If the cut was quite deep and you haven't had strange reactions to other substances, I might go ahead with it.

However, take your time in making a decision and don't feel pressured.  It is your body.

CS

The cut was deep enough that I couldn't stop the bleeding but no stitches were needed just a steristrip at urgent care. The glass was clean, right out of the dishwasher and I wrapped the finger in a clean towel before finding gauze.

There are about 30 cases of tetanus in the US each year and a significant portion of those are diabetic, IV drug users or older than me so the odds are quite low. In a study looking at cases over an 8 year period 24% of those had the full series of shots and still developed tetanus. Also, there is 100% chance that my damaged hypersensitive nervous system would be exposed to neurotoxins not to mention reactions to the vaccine itself.  So for now I am going to skip the shot. I may reconsider in the future if my CNS ever stabilizes. Thanks everyone for your input. 

• Administrator

I have never had any problems with vaccinations, other than a sore bump on the arm.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Kelly Brogan is not too keen on vaccines:

http://kellybroganmd.com/vaccines-fit-paleo-lifestyle/

she links to this:

https://leviquackenboss.wordpress.com/2015/01/03/there-is-no-anti-vaccination-movement/

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2013/11/27/a-shot-never-worth-taking-the-flu-vaccine-by-kelly-brogan-md/

Chris Kresser isn't pro vaccine, either.

These are 2 medical practitioners I respect.

I know that it is confusing, there is all the fuss about "anti-vaxxers" and how crazy they are but the fact is, if you are harmed by a vaccine, you cannot go to Civil Action Lawsuit, you must apply to a Special Vaccines Court (think $$$$$) and maybe you will get heard.  If you get heard, you might get a settlement.  The fact is, the large corporations are on the side of the vaccines.  

Maybe I'm a kooky anti-vaxxer, but if I were requested by my doctor, to get a set of vaccines, I would research how badly I needed them, and weigh risk v. reward.  I had vaccines to go into Thailand, I felt the risk was acceptable for that,   Like Alto, I only got a bump on the arm. (as far as I know)

I know that the information available is confusing, people on both sides of the issue are yelling and emotional, and it's kind of like diet - nobody agrees on what is right.  But I cannot believe that on the one side, Pharma companies are manufacturing and marketing all these harmful drugs, and on the other side, they are completely altruistic when it comes to vaccines.

I had a tetanus shot for a garden accident (rusty nail or fence, I think), before I started tapering.  I was sore for a few days.  I have seen articles that question the necessity of a tetanus shot, but cannot put my finger on them now, nor do I remember whether it was "bro-science" or something more valid.  I do know - I have never heard of anyone dying from tetanus, and perhaps that is due to the vaccines.

I do question the need for a diptheria & pertussis vaccine in addition to the tetanus one.  If you have a cut, why do you need a whooping cough booster vaccine?  That just doesn't make sense to me.  The whooping cough vaccine, in particular, is more problematic, and there are many claims that it is increasing cases of whooping cough in the vulnerable.  http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2012/08/14/3567495.htm

I'm sorry, I don't have answers. Like all of these medical things, it's up to you to decide how much you will submit to, and weigh the risks against the benefits.  I'm hoping that I brought up some issues for you to explore.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Yes, it's a confusing topic. You can find support for any viewpoint these days. I feel comfortable with my decision based on my rationale above. It doesn't make sense to me to ingest neurotoxins and a vaccine that is known to (rarely) cause serious neuro issues when I already have neuro issues. Not to mention all of my hypersensitivities.  I used to work in a neuropsych clinic where people where we saw people who had been seriously harmed. 

• 2 weeks later...

TDAP is fine. I had it last year for work, no side effects at all. The tiny amount of preservatives in it is basically harmless, anyone who tells you otherwise probably had a psychosomatic reaction, which is very common among those of us with high levels of anxiety, or they had a reaction to something else and are incorrectly attributing it to the TDAP. Truly negative side effects are extremely rare (read: <1 in 100,000 people). In any case, I'd take the tiny risk of an adverse reaction over the much larger risk of tetanus, which is quite nasty.

On and off antidepressants since 2001. Most recent bout of MDD began in 2010, started on Prozac, continued for 3 years. Went on Cymbalta, but suffered from peripheral edema in ankles, so switched to Effexor @ 225mg. Edema was reduced but still present. Also developed compulsive skin-picking while on Effexor. Gained over 100 pounds since beginning AD's in 2010. Tapered off Effexor beginning in October 2016, last dose December 30, 2016 @ 37.5mg. Had mild withdrawal up to that point, mainly dizzy spells. Severe withdrawal began two days after final dose: severe body aches, chills, nausea, headache, dizziness, brain zaps, fatigue, moodiness, diarrhea. Most of these have resolved except for dizzy spells and brain zaps, and diarrhea, which are intermittent and declining in severity. Have lost a pound a day since discontinuing, currently down 8 pounds. Compulsive skin-picking also resolved itself over the course of tapering off.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Topics merged:  "Issues With Vaccinations" started by Light.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 year later...

I had a wave of symptoms starting about an hour after getting the flu shot.  The symptoms were mild and lasted a couple days.

My psychiatric drug history goes back, on and off, to 1999.  This is my taper chronology:

Jan. 2018:                        900 mg  Lithium                      1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2018:                        0 mg  Lithium*                        1 mg Risperidone               250 mg Lamotrigine 

Jan. 2019:                        0 mg Lithium                           0.625 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Jan. 2020:                       0 mg Lithium                           0.260 mg Risperidone       175 mg Lamotrigine

Feb. 2021:                        0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              175 mg Lamotrigine

August 2021                    0 mg Lithium                           0 mg Risperidone              0 mg Lamotrigine

*I had to cold turkey lithium because of life-threatening side effects.

Measuring doses: The Withdrawal Project at the Inner Compass Initiative website, which explains how to do the microtaper to make it as smooth as possible   Nutrition: The Clean Gut Diet by Alejandro Junger, MD, and Viva Naturals Omega 3 Fish Oil Supplements.  Psychological: "Dr. Bruce H. Lipton Explains How To Reprogram The Subconscious Mind" (on YouTube) and PSYCH-K (an alternative healing modality).  

• 10 months later...
  • Mentor

Had 4 strain flu shot today. Not even a hot flash in response. HF is my usual symptom of chemical hypersensitivity.

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.

• 2 months later...

I had my flu shot this morning.  My arm is very sore and I have some flu-like symptoms.

I get the flu vaccine most every year.  I usually have a pretty sore arm and sometimes mild flu-like symptoms. Being as isolated as I am I could probably, for myself, skip the flu vaccine but what about other people I might encounter?  The last time I did get influenza (a year I missed the vaccine) I ended up with pneumonia and torn cartilage between a couple of ribs and my breastbone.  

I'll be somewhat paranoid about any and all drugs for the rest of my life most likely. Vaccines are a different creature all together IMHO.  

1994  Venlafaxine XR 300mg, 2003 tapered, 2004 off briefly back to 37.5 then 75mg, held, June 2019 up to  150mg, Aug.12 tapered down to 112.5mgs, Oct. 21, 2019 96mg;  Dec. 8, 2019  90mg, Jan. 8 2020 81mg, Feb. 4, 75mg; April 17, 2023 37.5mg

2003/2004? Diazepam 10mg/bedtime

2013 Lyrica 300mg to 25mg; April 6, 2020 17mg; April 28, <5mg; May 7, 2020 Lyrica 0 mg!

2013 Tramadol 50mg tablets, 200mg/day divided

2005? Trazodone 50mg bedtime, Feb. 12, 2020 40mg, March 7, 25mg; Oct 1 20mg;  0mg!

2009? Zolpidem 5mg at bedtime. Nov. 9, 2019 Zolpidem 0 mg! 

1990? Omeprazole 20mg in morning.

2010? Levothyroxine 75mcg morning

2011? Liothyronine 5mcg morning

1999? Buspirone 30mg twice a day  August 2019 15mg once a day,  Oct.21, 2019 2.5mg evening  Oct. 25, 2019 Buspirone 0 mg!

• 9 months later...

I get the flu shot every year.  Never have any reaction to it at all.  Got the quadravent (4 strrain) shot this morning.  As day has gone on have felt dizzier and tonight, more nauseous.  Had to take a zofran.  Still dizzy and brain foggy and tired.  Still in WD so brain fog, dizziness and nausea are regular visitors, but this feels different somehow.  Hope it isn't a reaction to the flu shot, and, if so, it goes away soon. 

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• Administrator

A day or two of reaction to a flu shot is not a big deal. My arm is usually sore for a few days afterward.

In my opinion, everyone should get all the common immunizations for which they're eligible: Influenza, pneumonia, TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis), shingles. Immunization is the best form of prevention for virus infection.

A friend urges me to get a flu shot early in the season (here in US, in September) and a second flu shot in a few months, as they update the vaccine when they identify virus strains throughout the flu season, even if you have to pay out of pocket for the second shot. I usually get only one shot, but two seem like a good idea in the coronavirus era.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Since beginning my multi-drug taper I've had an annual flu shot, a measles booster, and a tetanus booster, none of which caused any problems other than a day or two of soreness around the injection site.  This year I'm going to inquire about getting the pneumonia vaccine in addition to my regular flu shot.  I also plan to be first in line when we get a vaccine for the coronavirus.  

Btw - the influenza vaccine is available now in a thimerosal-free nasal mist form if you're concerned about that.  Personally speaking, it's my opinion that if you eat fish regularly you're getting much more mercury exposure from that than you would from an annual vaccination or two.   

1994  Venlafaxine XR 300mg, 2003 tapered, 2004 off briefly back to 37.5 then 75mg, held, June 2019 up to  150mg, Aug.12 tapered down to 112.5mgs, Oct. 21, 2019 96mg;  Dec. 8, 2019  90mg, Jan. 8 2020 81mg, Feb. 4, 75mg; April 17, 2023 37.5mg

2003/2004? Diazepam 10mg/bedtime

2013 Lyrica 300mg to 25mg; April 6, 2020 17mg; April 28, <5mg; May 7, 2020 Lyrica 0 mg!

2013 Tramadol 50mg tablets, 200mg/day divided

2005? Trazodone 50mg bedtime, Feb. 12, 2020 40mg, March 7, 25mg; Oct 1 20mg;  0mg!

2009? Zolpidem 5mg at bedtime. Nov. 9, 2019 Zolpidem 0 mg! 

1990? Omeprazole 20mg in morning.

2010? Levothyroxine 75mcg morning

2011? Liothyronine 5mcg morning

1999? Buspirone 30mg twice a day  August 2019 15mg once a day,  Oct.21, 2019 2.5mg evening  Oct. 25, 2019 Buspirone 0 mg!

23 hours ago, Altostrata said:

A day or two of reaction to a flu shot is not a big deal. My arm is usually sore for a few days afterward.

In my opinion, everyone should get all the common immunizations for which they're eligible: Influenza, pneumonia, TDAP (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis), shingles. Immunization is the best form of prevention for virus infection.

A friend urges me to get a flu shot early in the season (here in US, in September) and a second flu shot in a few months, as they update the vaccine when they identify virus strains throughout the flu season, even if you have to pay out of pocket for the second shot. I usually get only one shot, but two seem like a good idea in the coronavirus era.

Had never even thought about getting a second shot later in the season.  That's a great idea.  Yesterday was better than Friday (the day I got my shot) and today is back to normal (well, WD normal) so I think all the bad stuff Friday was just a 24 hr, initial thing.  If I have to put up with worse sxs for 24 hrs but am better protected against all these things, I'll do it.

I wanted to get a pneumonia shot but CVS said I had to be 65 or older to get it.  I hear there are potentially more reactions to the pneumonia shot.

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

• 4 months later...

Got my pneumonia shot this past Tuesday (it was the 23 strain version).   No reactions other than a little arm pain/soreness that phased in and out for 2 days.  Very happy about that! Hopefully the Covid vaccine will be as unproblematic...

• Moderator Emeritus

I had a shingrix vaccine on Nov 16 2020.  On Nov 25, I went into a wave, and I am still in it.  Coincidence?  Perhaps.  I've also been hit with all kinds of stressors, so it could be that.  Jennifer

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

What is the timing window for post vaccine side effects? I know that most ppl feel something within 24 hrs of a shot but is there a maximum outside window of time side effects can occur?

I got a flu vaccine (the FluMist) in late October. I was nervous about it, but I felt fine and had no side effects. I am still on the fence about the covid vaccine, but I have months to wait until it will be my turn, so I don’t have to decide anytime soon anyway.

2014 & 2017 - 25mg sertraline for postpartum depression

Late May ‘20 - Early June ‘20: 7.5mg buspirone 2x/day (adverse reaction)

Mid-June ‘20 (six days total): 5mg escitalopram (adverse reaction)

currently taking: vitamin D, magnesium, omega 3, occasional melatonin.

no alcohol, no caffeine.

With the availability of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to certain population groups in the U.S., I am curious if anyone here, who is currently in WD and/or is currently here due to adverse reaction, has had the first of the series of shots? 

-ghm

2002 - 2014, 500mg Keppra 2x’s/day (anti-seizure med)

2003 thru 2004 - 10 mg Remeron

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2012 - Buspar (overly energized, stopped immediately, no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - 500mg Leviteracitam (generic keppra) 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

2003 - 2018 Ativan, occasionally/rarely

@JackieDecidesposted this:

On 1/3/2021 at 1:40 PM, JackieDecides said:

I just took the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this week and eager to get the second shot in a few weeks. the only side affect I had was slight soreness in my arm.

I work in healthcare and am so grateful to have the vaccine available so soon.

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/5/20 less than 1/8 teaspoon of Benadryl 

10/7/20 & 10/8/20 .10ml Benadryl (stopped 10/2020)

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol  (stopped 11/2020)

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped 10/2020 due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/9/20 grain of diazepam @ 2:30 am for muscle spasm pain (stopped 11/2020)

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped 11/10/20 due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

11/11/20 using lidocaine patch on neck and chest for pain due to muscle spasms

1/1/21       1 drop of liquid b12 (stopped 1/4/21)

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, ghm2018 said:

With the availability of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to certain population groups in the U.S., I am curious if anyone here, who is currently in WD and/or is currently here due to adverse reaction, has had the first of the series of shots? 

-ghm

I assume you are referring to the COVID19 vaccine?  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

@getofflex my apologies. Yes, I meant to mention that I was asking about the vaccines for covid-19.  

2002 - 2014, 500mg Keppra 2x’s/day (anti-seizure med)

2003 thru 2004 - 10 mg Remeron

2005ish - Adverse reactions to single doses of Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro (no long-lasting problems)

2012 - Buspar (overly energized, stopped immediately, no long-lasting problems)

2014 - 1 month taper off of 500mg Keppra (Leviteracitam) - seizure free for 12 years 

2017 - 500mg Leviteracitam (generic keppra) 

2017 - Mid-Dec experienced adverse reaction to Leviteracitam due to different manufacturer. Stopped on Dec 20.

2018 - Jan 1st, 10 mg Fluoxetine (generic prozac) experienced severe adverse reaction after 3 doses and continue to experience issues today. 

2003 - 2018 Ativan, occasionally/rarely

• Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, ghm2018 said:

@getofflex my apologies. Yes, I meant to mention that I was asking about the vaccines for covid-19.  

No problem.  

I guess the question here is if the virus particles used to generate the vaccine can cross the BBB (blood brain barrier). If not then no reason to worry.

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy