mtnbkr

Flu shots and other vaccines

mtnbkr

I work around a lot of physically vulnerable people, and don't want to expose them to the flu.  So, in most years, I get a flu shot.  But I'm nervous about getting the shot while I'm doing my AD taper. 

Has anyone else gotten a flu shot while tapering? Did you react differently compared with when you'd previously had the shot? Did it aggravate your WD symptoms?

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback.

-Mtnbkr

lucida

mtnbkr, I wish I could answer your question, however I do not know yet.  However, I am now working in a mandatory flu vaccine hospital, and will have to get the shot, and I am having the same concerns right now.  I am having acute symptoms of anxiety at the moment and worried about any symptom exacerbation that may occur when I get it.  I truly would like to bow out this year, but unfortunately I do not have the option.  I guess I will be a guinea pig, so I can certainly write again in the future.  It will probably be in the next week or two.....

compsports

I haven't had a flu shot for years and that includes the time I tapered off of psych meds. I did get bronchitis when I worked in special education which was before I started tapering.  But other than that one time, I never have gotten sick which I know the flu vaccination zealots can't believe.

Anyway, my diet was horrible and I barely took any vitamin D which I am convinced is key to preventing colds and flu, particularly if you are in high risk place as I feel I was.  You might want to look into making sure your vitamin D level is optimal.

Lucida, that really galls me that hospitals made vaccines mandatory. From all the research I have done, that policy is pretty worthless if hospitals aren't implementing strict infection control procedures and requiring that every visitor have proof of vaccination.

Do you have the option of perhaps using a religious exemption or egg allergies to get yourself out having to having one?

CS

Meimeiquest

I had one last year while tapering Zyprexa. Nothing happened. Will get one this year as I also work in a vaccine-mandatory environment. I don't get them for my family.

lucida

Compsports, I have pretty much considered every possible way to get out of getting this flu vaccine, however, the religious exemption will not work. The allergy will work if one has a MD documented allergy, however along with a 6-7 month requirement to wear a mask at all times. In my research it appears that medicare is cutting funding to hospitals that don't have 90 % or more employees with flu vaccine, so they have made it mandatory. 

Cookson

Don't get it!

They are full of nasty's such as MSG and aluminium. 

It also contains thimerosal-which 50% by weight is MERCURY. The dangerous neuro toxin.

The contaminates of the mercury is 300 times the safe level of exposure!

compsports

ludica, sorry to hear that.  Ah, as much as I like people 65 and older being eligible for medicare, I despise so many of their policies and this requirement that hospitals have a 90% vacination rate is one of them.

Cookson, I haven't done research like you have but I sure don't like the sound of what you are saying.  And I forgot to mention, efficacy of the flu shots depends on whether all the relevant strains have been captured in the vaccine.  I understand it is a real hit and miss situation.

CS

Cookson

Comp, That is very much indeed the situation.

Avoid all vaccines like the plague.

Skyler

Hi Folks.. hope there is room for dissenting views.  I am very glad flu shots are available. I've had a sub clinical case on occasion, but since I first started to get the vaccine 40+ years ago, I have not had a serious episode. They may not be perfect, but I don't get sick like I did before the shots were around.

C.. I do agree with you about the 90% required for hospitals. Staff who have good reasons not to be inoculated are pressured to take precautions that are down right outlandish, not to mention very unpleasant (like wearing ineffective surgical masks).

compsports

Hi Skyler,

Just like with meds, I recognize that everyone is different regarding flu shots and if they benefit you, by all means take them.  I just don't like the holier than thou attitude that many flu shot advocates have which obviously is not a situation with you.  :D

mtnbkr

Thank you all for your thoughts re this subject.  After much deliberation, and given the fact that my WD issues improved over the past month, I decided to get a flu shot last week.  Other than a sore muscle at the injection site, the shot didn't cause any noticeable problems.  Whew!  For me, I think this was the right decision. 

• Like 1

tezza

Don't get it! They are full of nasty's such as MSG and aluminium.  It also contains thimerosal-which 50% by weight is MERCURY. The dangerous neuro toxin. The contaminates of the mercury is 300 times the safe level of exposure!

Now, I'm glad I've never had a flu shot!

Finn

Don't get it! They are full of nasty's such as MSG and aluminium.  It also contains thimerosal-which 50% by weight is MERCURY. The dangerous neuro toxin. The contaminates of the mercury is 300 times the safe level of exposure!

Now, I'm glad I've never had a flu shot!

In the States thimerosal is only used in the multidose vaccines. if you get it nasally or in a single dose form, it isn't in it. Also, it isn't the form of mercury that is shown to be most dangerous.

I get the flu shot. It lowers your chance of getting the flu/ getting very sick from the flu. I have asthma, and have gotten very ill from cold/ the flu. Last year, I still got sick, but I feel more protected having gotten it. Plus, it from free this year!

Lexy

Can you take flu shots when tapering effexor and having symptoms of wds?

Altostrata

I get flu shots every year, in November just prior to flu season. I've never had a problem except sometimes a sore spot and sometimes feeling tired afterward, so I get mine in the late afternoon or evening on the way home.

I've only had the flu a few times in my life, more often before I got flu shots.

In my opinion, the resistance to flu shots or any other vaccine is counterproductive, increasing the risk of disease. Other than complete isolation from people, animals, and insects, vaccines are probably the safest way we know of minimizing the risk of contracting a contagious illness.

While vaccines do incur a very small amount of risk of adverse effects and, like other drugs, contain chemicals you wouldn't want to take in any large amounts, the risk is tiny relative to the benefit.

You may, of course, make your own decision based on your own beliefs.

MissTrish

I'm expecting my first grandchild in July.  I have just been told that in order to hold this baby in the hospital, I will need to get a DPT booster.

Has anyone had experience with vaccines and boosters during w/d?

I'm a bit concerned about how this might affect me.

ten0275

MissTrish, hey.

I was in acute benzo and antidepressant withdrawal when my 2 year old son was born. I received the DPT shot at a time when my symptoms were nearly at their worst and I felt no discernible uptick in symptom frequency nor intensity. I was fearful that it would affect me, but my fears proved unjustified.

Congratulations on the birth of your coming 1st Grandchild!

Hang in there.

Dave

MissTrish

That's great info to have, Dave!  Thank you, and congrats on your grandchild!

I see you're tapering Remeron as well; not fun!  Together we can make it!

a99

I had hepatitis vaccination this morning and I'm almost 1 year off ADs

I wonder if this can affect my recovery in any possible way ? I just started to see some windows and I'm really concerned that it all went to waste :( 

thank u .

JanCarol

A very small minority have some reaction to vaccines.  My flu shot went swimmingly well last year, I think I had a sore arm, and maybe got grumpy for a couple of days.

Even those that do, all of your previous work wouldn't "go to waste" as you say.  In fact, because you're having windows, it's a good sign that you are more stabilised, and more able to withstand "hits" like vaccines, colds, flu, or stress.

Anything stressful can set you back a bit - but that's not a waste.  MOST of us go a few steps backwards before we can go forward on our journey.  

So short of having an extreme reaction to the vaccine, just pick up your bundle and keep moving!

Welcome to SA, I hope you make an introduction thread like Petunia suggests.

LoveandLight

Just wondering if anyone has had vaccinations recommended for travel for certain countries while stabilising/tapering and have you had an adverse reaction? Thanks

Nextra

Would like to add my experience for the record. Whilst keeping in mind how differently we react to things, I had no reaction to the flu shot this year apart from the usual sore arm, despite being in an extremely sensitised state at around 9 months off.

pug

I just wanted to add my experience, I got my flu shot last week and did not have any negative reactions other than a sore arm for a couple of days.

ang

mtnbkr, I wish I could answer your question, however I do not know yet.  However, I am now working in a mandatory flu vaccine hospital, and will have to get the shot, and I am having the same concerns right now.  I am having acute symptoms of anxiety at the moment and worried about any symptom exacerbation that may occur when I get it.  I truly would like to bow out this year, but unfortunately I do not have the option.  I guess I will be a guinea pig, so I can certainly write again in the future.  It will probably be in the next week or two.....

Please research............. I believed in vaccines, until, working as a pathologist, in 2010, all the kids aged 6-12 fully vaccinated actually had pertussis.  And those still with vaccine immunity were carriers of pertussis.

Anyway, part of my healing is research, I love learning,  I am trainined in Pathology, and many more things.... I guess being a mother, having to leave my employment so many times, and then employed in another field, and while I could I studied, I love learning.  I have qualifications in many areas.

Anyhow   I had a flu vaccine in 1977, the big panic of bird flu or something.   I was so, so ill from this vaccine, two weeks off work, only to be lied to and said, öh you must already have had the flu" no.  I now read about this vaccine in the seventies, many died from that damn vaccine.

One vaccine, fluvax a few years ago, was killing or maimin 1 child in every 100,  it got withdrawn, for children 1=5.... it was never tested, this vaccine, and still causes problems.

Please research.  Flu vaccines contain the most mercury........ heavy metals, not good for brain.        Flu vaccines work in 14% of cases............ is it worth it?  

After that vaccine in 1977, I never ever got another flu vaccine, I have never ever had the flu again.           So I have saved 38 years of being injected yearly with all these poisons, that go with the vaccine.

I went to China, with a government scholarship, you ever seen pictures of the Chinese, out and about/............... they are such wonderful community minded people.  Notice the ones in the picture with face masks?  Not to stop infection, it is because they have infection, a cold, or flu, and a simple act of wearing a mask stops the spread.

In Western World?  How embarrassing to wear a mask, so we cough and spread it, and the big pharma promise a cure, a vaccine.................. how absurd.  it only works in 14% of cases, and all those poisons.        Healthy people, dont get the flu, I havent for all those damn years.

Go to some anti vax sites, for me, as a nurse, I would prefer to wear a mask, and fight the absolute nonsense.................. the big Pharma push to generate fear, and income..........please research, vaccines are not what I thought they were....................  I tested kids, all fully vaccinated in 2010, all had pertussis.............  Vaccination is a con.

ang

You took medications .. you were told they were fine, now you know otherwise.............. you have worries about vaccination, and say you have no choice. Yes you have a choice. Since when is it ok to get jabbed with an unknown quantity, in your bloodstream, would you accept an AD injected?  Please research.

So many nurses have refused, so many nurses have sued for discrimination, dont do it it you dont feel comfortable, and if you dont want to make an issue, wear the damn mask.

ang

Please read some stuff on anti vax sites.  I am not anti vax, but damn when a vaccine is a danger, as measles, mumps and pertussis vaccines are, and giving newborns a hep B shot?  the world has gone crazy.  Babies are not intravenous drug users, they are not goin to get hep B unless the hospital is very, very unclean.  All mothers are tested for hep B......... so if they aint getting it from their mothers, aint intravenous drug users, why the hell do hospitals worry that babies will get hep B, are the hospitals so damn unclean? I am a pathologist, if you dont want the jab, dont get it.

compsports

Please read some stuff on anti vax sites.  I am not anti vax, but damn when a vaccine is a danger, as measles, mumps and pertussis vaccines are, and giving newborns a hep B shot?  the world has gone crazy.  Babies are not intravenous drug users, they are not goin to get hep B unless the hospital is very, very unclean.  All mothers are tested for hep B......... so if they aint getting it from their mothers, aint intravenous drug users, why the hell do hospitals worry that babies will get hep B, are the hospitals so damn unclean? I am a pathologist, if you dont want the jab, dont get it.

Ang, I agree with you as I am not an antivaxer either.    But I also feel that babies today get way too many of them compared to when I was growing up.  Of course, I keep my mouth shut about this since most people take a black and white approach on this issue.   And since I am just responsible for myself, I can do that.

AliG

I'm still really surprised, that anyone here , would get a shot of  ??   " highly concentrated poison".

erer

Does anyone know if it is safe to get a measles vaccination when in WD? We have a small (but potentially growing) measles outbreak in Estonia and it turns out I am not immune. I'm scared to get vaccinated, but perhaps there is no reason to be?

I am thankful for all information.

erer

Just letting you know that I had the measles vaccine done 5 days ago and did not have a reaction. That's all.

Junglechicken

I had the flu shot done mid-Nov, and it sent me into a wave :0(

Light

Hi, 

I am 11 years clean. Many improvements but still disabled and suffering... I cut my finger yesterday and am being encouraged by my doctor to get a Tdap immunization (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis).  The vaccination contains small amounts of formaldehyde, mercury, and aluminum.

Any thoughts on how this might effect someone in our boat (with touchy nervous systems)?  It would be especially helpful to hear from those who have had this vaccine or a straight tetanus shot. 

My appointment is tomorrow afternoon... This decision is very stressful. Any direct experience or reasoned speculation is welcome. 

LexAnger

I know someone a former member in the forum got hit by a vacciciene while she was in the middle of tapering. You are out for 11 yrs so it's very different I would hope. Have you had experience taking any other medications lately such as antibiotic, pain killer, vitamin etc? If so any reaction to those?

Junglechicken

The flu jab this year sent me into a mini-wave, but I don't know about the effect of vaccines for tropical diseases.

compsports

Hi Light,

I have a very sensitive nervous system but when I was tapering, I had the same vaccine and didn't have any problems.  On the other hand, when I had conscious sedation in March for a tooth extraction, the hand in which the solution went into mysteriously shriveled up before the problem cleared up after two weeks.    And I had finished my taper in 2010.   So who knows?

How serious is the finger cut?   Did you need stitches?  If the cut was quite deep and you haven't had strange reactions to other substances, I might go ahead with it.

However, take your time in making a decision and don't feel pressured.  It is your body.

CS