mammaP

mammaP Nearly there

mammaP

I'm not quite a full success story yet but I feel so much brighter and more alive since starting my taper.

It's been a bit rocky the last few months but there's been a lot of stress which has affected me badly

and worsened withdrawal.  The last few weeks though have been much better and I just want to share

what happened today. I went out for lunch with my daughter and grandaughter. When they dropped me off 

there was an old friend stood nearby. I waved to her and beckoned her over but she just stood there 

staring at me like I was demented or something. When she did come over she was amazed and said she didn't

recognise me! Said I look brighter and much younger, more like my old self and when we were having a cuppa

she said she couldn't believe the change in me, I could hold a conversation and wasn't struggling to find words.

We knew each other when we were young, then my family and I moved here 20 years ago . She moved here too 

after we'd been here 10 years.  Before she arrived I started on effexor and just wasn't the person she knew before.

It was brilliant to hear her say that, I haven't seen her for around 6 months and withdrawing last time I saw her. 

She isn't the first person to say that but others have seen a gradual improvement, for her it was quite a shock! 

I feel great right now, it's made it all worth it. Now I am sure that one day soon mine will be a complete success story.

:)

Nikki

That was soooo good to hear.  Both from you relating the story and for you to hear that from your friend.

MP there is a difference in how we look.  During tapers I don't look my best and when on some of these meds my face was puffy.

You said that in the last few months there were stressors.  Stress affects everything, particularly during a taper (neuro-emotions).

You sound like you have come out the other side.  Very happy for you ;)

lexicon

Praying for you to get to the finish line,

dear mammap .. :)

Congratulations for your wonderful success .. :)

Love, Lexi

mammaP

Thank you everyone, I'm still feeling good! I was invited to lunch with some very dear friends 

who have been through every step of my med madness with me. They have always been there for 

me, been to hospital with me, helped out at home and looked after my daughter when I couldn't. 

Today they also told me that the change in me is remarkable and I am the person they first met 22

years ago.  Except for being 22 years older and physically falling apart of course! It's lovely to get those

responses. And to see the expressions on some peoples faces when they ask what has made the

difference and I tell them it's coming off all psych meds, they are astounded that they made me so sick.

I ALWAYS emphasise that it is with my doctors approval and that he has supported me. The last thing I

want is for my story to get about and people to stop theirs! 

Everyone was worried and family were cross when I told them I was tapering, they expected me to relapse

in no time and of course I would have if I hadn't tapered slowly. I did it before, many times with many meds,

stopped cold turkey, some by the hospital and doctors, some on my own and of course 'relapsed' and went on

more. 

I can't wait to stop that last tiny bead, 1/400th of a capsule, and lift that fugurative 'trophy' above my head! 

amn

Thanks for sharing this :) I just joined tonight & am feeling pretty hopeless -- even tho I'm trying so hard to remind myself I know this Effexor just needs to get out of my body. I'm happy to be part of this group now. Comforting to know other people know what I'm feeling :)

EagleWolf

Congratulations MammaP, an uplifting post for those of us tapering.  Be well and continue to enjoy your journey to absolute freedom!

areyouthere

YAY!!!! Must have felt GREAT to actually hear from someone that you look so good!!! A real affirmation I'm sure!

We'll have to have a virtual party when that final bead gets tossed!!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing...it gives the rest of us true hope!

RU

mammaP

Glad my success can give hope to others going through this.  It has been very scary at times 

and several times have almost given up and updosed again!  I'm so glad I persevered though and 

yes RU, it was fantastic to hear others tell me they could see the difference. It's been 20 years of 

hell jumping from one drug to another, lots of times then years of nothingness. I can never find a

word that accurately describes that state of existence!  

It will be about another 3 months before that final bead, I'm not rushing it because it just isn't worth

risking a relapse.  Then we will PARTY and everyone will be invited, lol. 

MaryKA

Super news mammaP! How lovely to be reaffirmed like this!

ChessieCat

Hi there,

The staff at SA are wondering how you are.  We'd love to hear how you are doing now.   Would you mind dropping by and giving an update?

Thanks.

CC