B vitamins or B vitamin complex

Sunny1008

• Moderator Emeritus

VJ, I don't know if you need to take B vitamins, have you been tested for a deficiency? A nervous system sensitized by withdrawal can make it difficult to take some supplements even if you do need them, that's why its best to get your nutrition from food if possible.

Yes, B vitamins are a daytime supplement.

The best advice I can give you is to avoid anything which increases symptoms. By taking a mixed supplement, you don't know which ingredient may be increasing your symptoms.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use your favorite search engine. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom, supplement or information you wish to search for.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 7 months later...

Since I started vitamin B6 I feel very depressed, especially some hours after the daily dose. Is this possibile?

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Since I started vitamin B6 I feel very depressed, especially some hours after the daily dose. Is this possibile?

Whether or not it is common to feel depressed after taking B6 doesn't really matter; what matters is whether it is making YOU depressed.  The best way to find out is to omit it for a week and track your symptom pattern.  Let us know what you determine as it helps everyone.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 8 months later...

I hope this is the correct topic to add this link, I read it today and it explains a bit why some of us might be sensitive to B vitamins. https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11727/are-vitamins-triggering-your-anxiety.html

B's spike my anxiety even on my very good days but I had success with brewers yeast which I took in a very small dose at first and now take about half the daily recommended dose. I was feeling better taking it before I my recent setback from beta blockers. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• 1 year later...

When people say they get anxious when they take B vitamins, do you mean occurance of physical anxiety- sweats, burning back etc?

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

On 7/6/2018 at 3:57 PM, jonnypeters1234567 said:

When people say they get anxious when they take B vitamins, do you mean occurance of physical anxiety- sweats, burning back etc?

Anxious as in a wired, very unpleasant feeling and symptoms which anxiety is causing. This typical anxiety for no reason. I also get inner trembling, shakes.

Am not really sure am defficent in B vitamins but I think I may be needing them. With that said,B vitamins as sup is a BIG no for me. Green veggies is recommended aswell as red meat. 

Eating greenies everyday and meat 2 to 3 times a week is enought for a person.

Kale I just cannot eat probably due to very high b vit.

-2012  January started Olanzapine 5mg, 7mg, 10mg, 25mg (2 months), 10mg (long time),5mg.

-2016 June 15th quit Olanzapine from 5mg to 0mg CT.

Other drugs; Imovane,Theralene, Propavane, Stesodil, which I took when I needed to. Quit them w/o trouble late 2015.

• 2 months later...

I feel so grateful for this thread.  It has been a bit of a godsend for me.  I am tapering off of Abilify.   My regular dose was 1 mg.  It has been a difficult very slow taper for me. I started taking B6 about a month ago - and at the same time started to get intense agitation and anxiety in the morning (after I took it) and for the afternoon.  I did not put two and two together. I was also taking vitamin b12.   And fish oil.  Now having read this thread I realize that these supplements can cause problems during withdrawal.  I never would have guessed that.  But once I removed B6 and B12 after about 4 days the anxiety definitely lessened.  This morning I tried a b12 just as a bit of a test and sure enough - the anxiety returned.  I would never have known that without finding this thread - that we can become very sensitive to - well everything.  Thank you.

As a side note - I am also taking Cipralex - 6mg dose. For a while I thought perhaps the anxiety was coming from the Cipralex ( and of course from the WD from Abilify).

1997 - effexor for 4 months. Came off without issue (as far as I recall)

2000 - 2004 - Celexa 10 mg (came off very quickly - and had a "nervous breakdown" to use my words. High anxiety, out of control and life became unmanageable. Reinstated briefly then came off successfully )

2006-2009 Celexa 10 mg - somehow came off for a while but then... things got hard.

2010 - started (Lexapro in the U.S.) 5 mg  2012 for 6 months I was on 2.5 lexapro,  ativan - for sleep very occasional use 2014 5 mg cipralex (lexapro) : attempts to come off 5mg  2014 failed - way too fast - terrible anxiety  2015 march ---- started a SLOW taper of Lexapro. I was able to get down to .5 mg Lexapro in early 2016 February and March started to get intense strange symptoms of shaking body, loss of control, panic, weight loss.  Especially in early morning.  Reinstated- on Psych. Docs advise. (sadly! now I think but didn't know what else to do). 

August 2016 was on 6 mg Lexapro and still having panic and anxiety. Re-instating was very hard. Took .5 mg Ativan 3 x per day for two months. August 2016 - started 1mg Abilify and tapered off of Ativan over three months. 

From November 2016 - Janaury 2018:  1mg Abilify - 6 mg Lexapro

ABILIFY taper started May 2018:  lots general anxiety. Moved to a liquid dose of Abilify. September 2018: 6mg lexapro a day,  Abilify taper is at .4mg. Experienced terrible anxiety, worry, restlessness, sleeplessness. Then Father died traumatically. P-Doc said to go back up.  reinstated 1mg Abilify started Nov. 28, 2018.   LEXAPRO 6mg.

2019 April started taper of Lexapro to 5.5, June 2019. Lexapro 5 mg, Abilify 1mg.  Holding for now til life stabilizes. Fish oil, melatonin, vit d, bio identical hormones, magnesium citrate.

2020 - Abilify taper to .8mg, Lexapro 5 mg, Progesterone SR 300 mg

2022 - Abilify taper in progress started in june at .8mg.  September .58, Lexapro 5 mg, Progesterone SR 300 mg. Going as slow as possible - but worried I will be too old by the time I get off of everything to eventually have a life left to enjoy.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've been taking Vit B6 (Pyridoxine HCL 100mg) for a few weeks now and have noticed a marked benefit from it. I feel it's giving me better energy throughout the day--more sustained and able to do more physical activity like walking. There have been days when I've forgotten or skipped to make note any differences, and on those days I feel fatigued more quickly and feel depleted by mid-afternoon. I track all symptoms and supplements on a Glenmullen-like chart.

I'm wondering if it would be safe to continue taking the B6 each day as I seem to derive so much benefit from it. My fear would be becoming "dependent" in the same way as AD dependence because it is involved as a coenzyme in synthesizing neurotransmitters in the brain. See: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB6-HealthProfessional/

Any input?

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Vitamin B6
  • Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, composter said:

My fear would be becoming "dependent" in the same way as AD dependence

I doubt that it would be a problem.  Many people take Vitamin B complex.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thanks @ChessieCat. Just trying to quell my worry/fear about a dependence scenario with Vitamin B6. I think the biggest assurance is knowing that it is derived from food and its function and properties are nowhere near anything like SSRIs or benzos in terms of the neuro-remodelling and receptor downregulation. 

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

I think you would be best served going to a integrative doctor and getting that spectracell test done.  At least you know what you are deficient in and they can monitor you to make sure a vitamin doesn't throw others out of balance.  I strongly encourage having doctor supervision (thats familiar with integrative vitamins) handle this.  

I dont think there is a dependence issue like a SSRI at all, but it could cause other issues that are unexpected in the long run.  It doesn't hurt to have a doctor be involved and supportive and if something does go out of wack they have the history and blood tests to  find a proper solution.

I know I tried throwing everything at me during my dark times and nothing worked and probably made things worse until I went and got tested and it was exactly the opposite of what I needed.  I have been doing amazing now btw.  Down to 1.25mg and I keep cutting and have no issues whatsoever.  I think the b12, b5, and b2 and vitamin C are helping as well as mindfulness.

Keep me updated :)

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member's real name

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus

So glad to hear that you continue to do well. Keep it up my friend! The spectracell test and integrative doctor combo sounds like a wonderful tool, thank you for the recommendation. I am also considering looking into The Road Back Program's supplements as it seems they have tailored supplements that complement this process well.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed message regarding post above which has been now been edited

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, composter said:

I am also considering looking into The Road Back Program's supplements as it seems they have tailored supplements that complement this process well.

I suggest you search on SA before you try things.  We already have several mentions about The Road Back Program:

truehope-the-road-back-labelmesane

dont-waste-your-money-on-these-supplements

From Post #1 of this topic:  no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal

On 10/29/2011 at 1:04 PM, Altostrata said:

Each person makes his or her own decisions. For these programs, buyer beware:

- The Road Back and TRB Health (overpriced supplements)

The only supplements which SA recommends are  Magnesium and  Omega-3 Fish OilTry a small amount, one at a time:  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

2 hours ago, composter said:

So glad to hear that you continue to do well. Keep it up my friend! The spectracell test and integrative doctor combo sounds like a wonderful tool, thank you for the recommendation. I am also considering looking into The Road Back Program's supplements as it seems they have tailored supplements that complement this process well.

Yeah.. The spectra cell has really helped me.  I haven't gone back yet to get tested but I will something in the beginning of this year.  Exercise, replenishing vitamins that you are deficient the right way, and conquering fears have changed me as a person.  I am coming off my Lexapro pretty quickly now and have no withdrawals or anything.  I drop about 5% a week now.  I am at 1.20mg now and I am feeling great.

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

I've had some issues with b vitamins and such. So I try them now and then to keep dise low and to test again if they help.

Not major problems with magnesium. I am not taking as much these days.

I started taking it last winter for resistant  constipation type possibly ibs that I determined may have been related to triggered by anxiety or vice versa. I knew if I didn't get the constipation under control my anxiety was going off the charts and vice versa. So I focused there for a while. It's better, not always perfect but better. Mag helped with the bowels and perhaps a bit fir calming. It's still an occasional go to supplement.

Vit D has helped. I tried l5 mth one brand I had no big probs with. I think the other wasn't good long term. Diff manufacturer or bottles even can matter. I rotate things now. Anxiety isn't as bad. I have some issues health and medically that are triggering my anxiety now when it does get triggered. Or cycles me to a bit of depression. 

It's hard being patient.

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever heal.

I just can't wait till some things get settled so that I can make more steps forward and hopefully get over this before the things get the best of me.

Went off ADs Sept/ Oct 2016 - Feb 2017.

Cymbalta and Klonopin 1-2 yrs.

Prior to that was on Effexor, Wellbutrin Abilify klonapin/ lorazepam.

Used a lot of supplements to help getting off the meds and still dabble in them in a panic.

Did SAM-e trigger the anxiety?

Or traumas?

Have tried CBD recently with mixed results.

Anxiety is predominant problem now.

It sometimes rolls into some low mood.

Still not stable.

Do our hypersensitive nervous systems ever heal ? Is there more topic on this I couldn't find anything when I searched.

And I think I've had a couple of bouts of different types of anxiety and I'm so happy that my anxiety seems to be something I may be able to get over.

I don't know if there's any kind of way to join people together that want to communicate privately or is it all in post here? 

Thanks and I apologize if any of this is misposted.

Used a lot of supplements to help getting off the meds and still dabble in them in a panic.

Or traumas?

Still not stable.

I took a B12 shot for twitching two weeks ago and it was very activating and made the twitching much worse.

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol

I read about another possible source of b vitamins which is nutritional yeast something to look into.

Or traumas?

Still not stable.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried b12 shots? Looking for things that might zap me out of my severely depressive wave.

When I am this down, going on ADs again sounds really enticing. I feel so BAD!!

Maybe I willalso give the b6 a shot??

This is the best of my recollection.

20 mg Prozac 3-4 days per week from 1994 until May 2018.

Beginning May 15 I began to drop doses. 

I dropped 1 dose per week for the next 4 weeks.

It was not systematic at all. I don't have which days I took what.

so the week of May 13 I took 4 doses, which was pretty normal for me.

Then the week of May 20 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The week of May 27 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The 1st week in June l took 2 doses 20 mg.

The week of June 10, 2018 was my last dose 20 mg.

I had been on Prozac only for over 20 years.  No other medications.

Getting really close to the 1 year mark. I have been tracking depressive episodes and they generally last 3-7 days. The longest was 9 but it had a couple of odd good days mixed in. These episodes are about 5-7 days apart. In between I am feeling very normal with some hyperness. Does this sound normal? 

This last one has been 4 grueling days of hating being alive. Things that have snapped me out of it in the past:

12 oz. Mountain Dew

caffeine coffee

happy camper pills(once)

This is the best of my recollection.

20 mg Prozac 3-4 days per week from 1994 until May 2018.

Beginning May 15 I began to drop doses. 

I dropped 1 dose per week for the next 4 weeks.

It was not systematic at all. I don't have which days I took what.

so the week of May 13 I took 4 doses, which was pretty normal for me.

Then the week of May 20 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The week of May 27 I took 3 doses 20 mg.

The 1st week in June l took 2 doses 20 mg.

The week of June 10, 2018 was my last dose 20 mg.

I had been on Prozac only for over 20 years.  No other medications.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about vitamin b6:

If one is the susceptible to over stimulation by b6, How long after ingesting it does it take to stimulate?

I would think about an hour, but I read somewhere that b6 is actually converted to p5p and then used by the body. Not sure how true this is, but it's on the internet.

20+ years EffexorXR 150mg. and Lorazepam PRN <- I rarely took this and never developed a problem.
2017 (nov-dec?) -> Feb 2018 fast taper - flipped out in Feb. Reinstated with 75mg-150mg (?not sure) stabilized
2018 Feb Began year long taper - somehow made it to 50pellets, did fine
          Sept -  17 bbs <-- where I started keeping track
           Oct - 16 bbs, Nov - 15 bbs, Dec - 14 bbs
2019 Jan - 13bbs, Feb - 12bbs, Feb Had problems - found SA
           March 19 - 15bbs,  April 17 - 20bbs  <--Updosing

Supplements: Multivitamin,  Fish Oil, B Complex, Magnesium, GABA,  L-Theanine, Inositol

Low sugar/carb diet, plenty of exercise. Meditation
Blood test Results: High in Copper, Low in Zinc, Very high whole blood hystamines

• Moderator Emeritus

1 hour ago, DogLover said:

Question about vitamin b6:

This link may be helpful.  

Hypersensitive to B Vitamin or B-Complex 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

i just read that the half-life of b6 is 10-15 DAYS!

but now i see that it only stays in your system a short time.

20+ years EffexorXR 150mg. and Lorazepam PRN <- I rarely took this and never developed a problem.
2017 (nov-dec?) -> Feb 2018 fast taper - flipped out in Feb. Reinstated with 75mg-150mg (?not sure) stabilized
2018 Feb Began year long taper - somehow made it to 50pellets, did fine
          Sept -  17 bbs <-- where I started keeping track
           Oct - 16 bbs, Nov - 15 bbs, Dec - 14 bbs
2019 Jan - 13bbs, Feb - 12bbs, Feb Had problems - found SA
           March 19 - 15bbs,  April 17 - 20bbs  <--Updosing

Supplements: Multivitamin,  Fish Oil, B Complex, Magnesium, GABA,  L-Theanine, Inositol

Low sugar/carb diet, plenty of exercise. Meditation
Blood test Results: High in Copper, Low in Zinc, Very high whole blood hystamines

• 1 month later...

I started vit B6  four days ago.  Worked up to 40 mg in supplement.  It seems to help my anxiety and mood markedly. It also increases my energy, and seems to help concentration. I started it because I was having involuntary movements and mild (I think) akathisia.  It has made my involuntary movements worse.  I'm going to cut down and see if that helps.  I hate to part with something that helps my anxiety and cognitive issues so much I can't believe it!

Prozac 1989-2005    Citalopram 2005-2009    Citalopram 2010-2014

Cymbalta 2015-Currently taking   Trazodone 2015(several months)   Citalopram 2015-2016   Gabapentin 300 mg. 2015-2016 (brief Klonopin to taper off Gabapentin)

Citalopram 60 mg. April 2016-end of August 2016 (Actually was on 80 mg. briefly)

Cymbalta 30 mg. late Sept 2016, increased to 60 mg. late Oct 2016-May 2017, decreased to 50 mg. (no withdrawals!), decreased 50 mg. to 40 mg. mid Feb. 2018 (very bad withdrawals !), increased to 50 mg.(minus 20 beads) Feb. 18th, decreased to 40 mg. Feb. 21st, increased to 50 mg. (minus 10%) Feb. 26th, decreased to 50 mg. (minus 30 beads) March 17th- present  

Escitalopram 5 mg. early May 2017-early Feb. 2018    Citalopram 30 mg. early Feb. 2018 -July 18, 2018.  Reinstatement of Citalopram 1 mg. (.5 ml) August 16, 2018, decreased to .45 ml September 25, 2018

• Moderator Emeritus

@TortugaHealing

You might find the information in this link helpful:

Hypersensitive to B Vitamin or B-Complex 

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley, thanks for the info.  I started to get a bad reaction to the b6 a little while after singing it's praises.  It took a few days to build up in my system, I guess.  I've cut down to about one eighth of a 50 mg tablet.  

Prozac 1989-2005    Citalopram 2005-2009    Citalopram 2010-2014

Cymbalta 2015-Currently taking   Trazodone 2015(several months)   Citalopram 2015-2016   Gabapentin 300 mg. 2015-2016 (brief Klonopin to taper off Gabapentin)

Citalopram 60 mg. April 2016-end of August 2016 (Actually was on 80 mg. briefly)

Cymbalta 30 mg. late Sept 2016, increased to 60 mg. late Oct 2016-May 2017, decreased to 50 mg. (no withdrawals!), decreased 50 mg. to 40 mg. mid Feb. 2018 (very bad withdrawals !), increased to 50 mg.(minus 20 beads) Feb. 18th, decreased to 40 mg. Feb. 21st, increased to 50 mg. (minus 10%) Feb. 26th, decreased to 50 mg. (minus 30 beads) March 17th- present  

Escitalopram 5 mg. early May 2017-early Feb. 2018    Citalopram 30 mg. early Feb. 2018 -July 18, 2018.  Reinstatement of Citalopram 1 mg. (.5 ml) August 16, 2018, decreased to .45 ml September 25, 2018

• 1 month later...

I found that Vit B6 helped me with akathisia, and helped me get back to sleep after 'panic awakenings'. I take it when I start to experience symptoms after a cut. 

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.

Advice I was given by a friend, who is a doctor, is not to take multivitamins or a Vitamin B Complex supplement (one which contains all the Bs). She says that because there are so many micro-nutrients in these supplements, you don't know which are helping and which are harming. She recommends testing for deficiencies, and then supplementing those specific vitamins. I have not done the test yet, but I take Vit B6 when I'm anxious, and folate when I have allodynia. I am trying to learn to listen to my body, instead of taking a broad selection of micro-nutrients.

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.

I never found such testing to be either accurate or helpful...I've simply learned to go slow and easy and listen to my body and learn to respond to it...it's really possible to start hearing and following directions from within (for me, anyway) ...  if testing works for y'all go for it...I simply never found most labwork helpful (there have been some very rare exceptions...I never say never, kind of thing, but generally nope. 

I take a b12 supp since I'm not eating meat anymore...but otherwise yeah, eat well and avoid supps...that's wise for anyone with sensitivities...though on occasion supps can be helpful they need to be approached very carefully and slowly, thus minimizing them just makes sense. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn’t see the need to take supplements if one is not low or deficient in anything. Hit and hope kind of theory isn’t going to work (especially in acute wd) with my self I have just found out I am woefully low in B6 and zinc which explains a lot over the years, minus the wd I’m still currently going through. So it would be silly for me not to supplement in something my body needs. But as always start low go slow and one thing at a time. 

2011 - 1-3mg Flupentixol - Dec 2018 CT

2017 - 15mg Citalopram - lasted 17 days then CT

2018 - 15mg Mirtazapine - 6 months then CT

2019 - 20mg Duloxetine - lasted 5 days then CT

2019 - 7.5-30mg Mirtazapine - April to August, 30mg-0mg within two month period 

2019 lansoprazole 30mg may-July 

2019 omeprazole 20mg aug-sept

• 3 months later...

Hi....I’m new here. I’ve been completely off of Lexapro (10 mg) for 4 1/2 months. I tapered off over 8 months. I go to an Integrative Doctor and he has me on B2 (liquid), B6, B9 (Folinic acid), and B12 shots (Hydroxocobalamin).....I am progressing fairly well I guess all things considered...It’s been hard as hell, but I’m definitely heading in the right direction. Dare I stop the B vitamins to see if I am more calm, sleep better, and less anxious without them? ...or should I push through? I’ll take every bit of comfort I can get. Thanks for your reply ahead of time.

1999 Prozac 20 mg for several weeks for situational anxiety. The introduction of the meds caused extreme, catastrophic anxiety. Tried multiple other antidepressants. Could not tolerate any because of low Glutathione levels. Back to Prozac 5 mg....leveled out eventually. Issues in 2010 lead me to try to increase Prozac to 10 mg then 20 mg ...so very difficult to metabolize with decreased Glutathione...Switched to Lexapro 10 mg in 2015 with much difficulty. Started to taper in March of 2019..shaving off dust from the 10 mg pill with a razor blade....Taper, hold, taper, hold all year (very successful) until I thought I could stop at 2.5 mg in August of 2019. Started experiencing withdrawals. Reinstated 2.5 mg of Lexapro to ease withdrawals in liquid form...(again massive anxiety with the re-addition). Tapered completely off November 11, 2019. Using Propranolol as needed. 

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, Bythegrace said:

Dare I stop the B vitamins to see if I am more calm, sleep better, and less anxious without them? ...or should I push through?

If you do want to see how you do without the B vitamins, I would stop one at a time and see how you do.  We recommend changing only only supplement at a time; otherwise, you won't be able to tell which supplement was having whatever effect.

If you want to make sure I see a question, precede your question with @Gridley and you'll see a rectangle pop up.  Click on that rectangle and I'll be notified that you've posted.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2011 at 8:31 PM, Altostrata said:

That does seem odd, about the vitamin D, btdt.

Maybe food sources would be better for you than a supplement? For absorption?

One thing I have learned since is that I have double the Vit D receptors which I think means my Vit D can show up low on blood tests but the amount in the blood does not always relate to how much is active in your system.  It makes sense to me that if I have extra receptors based on my genetic profile I could make half the normal Vit D do the job.  I could be wrong or right on this I can't think today so it is a toss up.  There is always more to learn and more mistakes to make onlong the way inch by inch we move forward... sometime back... 

peace all 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 7 months later...
On 5/13/2020 at 9:06 AM, btdt said:

One thing I have learned since is that I have double the Vit D receptors which I think means my Vit D can show up low on blood tests but the amount in the blood does not always relate to how much is active in your system.  It makes sense to me that if I have extra receptors based on my genetic profile I could make half the normal Vit D do the job.  I could be wrong or right on this I can't think today so it is a toss up.  There is always more to learn and more mistakes to make onlong the way inch by inch we move forward... sometime back... 

peace all 

i read somewhere that you had tooth problems. How did that go? i too have some bad molar issues that have been in need of removal but i haven't been to a dentist since i CT my 1st and only in November. I did it very short term (19 days) but hate the effects im getting post CT and im afraid to go to a dentist anytime soon because if the antibiotic they'll give me and idk how my gut and CNS will react to it these days. Did you ever get the teeth thing fixed? how did it go? 

Trazodone 10/19/20 - 11/6/2020 stopped cold turkey

Hydroxyzine 10/19/20 - 11/8/2020 

Stopped cold turkey

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy