Pokeshaw: tapering off Lexapro

Pokeshaw

if it does get worse and i cant wait til tues/wed for the 0.525 and i go back up to 0.55 i guess i would be advised to stay at 0.55 for a couple months rather than a couple weeks before going to 0.525 right? 

Thanks,

Pokeshaw in Bklyn

7 yrs Lexapro 10 mg. Mar/2011 - 1 month taper. Severe W/D. Multiple symptoms.Gallbladder and parathyroid surgery in Aug and Oct. Disability 3 months.  Dec/2011 reinstated 5mg Lex and went back to work. very bad shape.

By Aug/2012 - self tapered to 1.25 mg cutting pills. -very bad shape. Nov/2012  Dr. Hinz neuro-replete. up and down. Aug/2013 at aprox 1.0 mg Lex stopped neuro-replete ~Oct 2013 Found this site  ~ began using compounded Lexapro and have been micro tapering since then and holding as needed.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

2/1/2018 - .135 mg  Now reducing 5-10% per month 

4/1/18 - .1 mg

4/17/18 - changed delivery from compounded individual caps to aliquot. went from .1 mg to .09 aliquot

7/4/2018 - .09 mg Holding due to wave of W/D symptoms

7/22/18 updosed to .1 mg aliquot

9/30/18 - reduced to .0975 aliquot

2/1/19 - updosed to .1 mg aliquot due to instability bad wave W/D

9/12/19 - back to .1 mg individual caps since could not get stable using aliquot

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pokeshaw

• bubble

• Rhiannon

• LexAnger

• Moderator Emeritus

Most people find magnesium to be calming, it can also relieve constipation, in fact, if you take too much it causes diarrhea, so getting on the right dose for you might possibly provide a calming effect and stop the constipation.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

But i am not currently having constipation. i might if i go back up in dose and might try magnesium again. didnt do great on it when i tried it for a few days last month.

the constipation slowly went away at about week 3 at 0.5 mg. but now that bowels are moving i am having bad w'd symptoms again.  the problem right now is - i wonder if i should continue the next few days at 0.5 until i get the 0.525 or should i go back up to 0.55 ( i still have about 2 wks supply)

Just hard to know what to do for my next dose in the morning.

i understand that the lexapro and too fast taper and not reinstating for several months did a number on my nervous system, especially gut. i guess i have to do smaller cuts since one month into 0.5 the w/d symptoms come back.

it really has only been since Dec that i have been on more measured doses. previous to that alot of fluctuation in dosage.

so, i am ok with going very slow. just hard to know what to do right now.

7 yrs Lexapro 10 mg. Mar/2011 - 1 month taper. Severe W/D. Multiple symptoms.Gallbladder and parathyroid surgery in Aug and Oct. Disability 3 months.  Dec/2011 reinstated 5mg Lex and went back to work. very bad shape.

By Aug/2012 - self tapered to 1.25 mg cutting pills. -very bad shape. Nov/2012  Dr. Hinz neuro-replete. up and down. Aug/2013 at aprox 1.0 mg Lex stopped neuro-replete ~Oct 2013 Found this site  ~ began using compounded Lexapro and have been micro tapering since then and holding as needed.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

4/17/18 - changed delivery from compounded individual caps to aliquot. went from .1 mg to .09 aliquot

9/12/19 - back to .1 mg individual caps since could not get stable using aliquot

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I can see that you're in a tricky spot. I think if you don't feel you can tough it out till Tuesday (and I know just how horrible it can get so I know how that is) I would say go back up to the 0.55 and just hold there for about a week and then go to the 0.525.  And then, yes, please do a nice long hold at that dosage.  I would suggest keeping a daily log of symptoms, ranking them on a scale of 1 to 5. When you see the numbers settle out and stay about the same for about two weeks in a row, not bouncing around much, that's the time to start planning your next reduction. I'd say make it 3-5% next time, no more.

Once you taper with small cuts and long holds for a while, things may settle down to where you can tweak it slowly up to a slightly more aggressive pace. But it really sounds to me like right now it's time to be very stable and gentle for a while and let things settle down. It sounds like you're doing well, basically, with the compounded drug, and basically things are in the right place for you to be able to do this.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Poke, one other thing:  You may have already looked into the GAPS dietary protocol or the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet). It's something that helps some people and not others, but given the close association in your case between gut motility and the other symptoms you're experiencing, it might be worth looking into. 

Do a search on the forum, we have at least one thread about GAPS. 

You can also do some reading about the "enteric nervous system" or "gut brain" or "second brain." My guess is that you've already looked into that probably, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. The part that's sort of new, as far as research goes, is how much the intestinal flora (gut bacteria) affects and interacts with the nervous system, including emotions and behavior. I suspect you may have already checked this out too since you're working with probiotics already (with mixed results, it sounds like).

I do think from the sound of it that your digestive disruption is due to drugs screwing with neurotransmitters in your gut and the resultant damage you have had, as you describe. I'm not minimizing or denying that in any way, it seems pretty obvious and although it's not as common as some things, I've seen it before.  I've had good results with a modified GAPs protocol myself and when I go off the wagon too far for too long I can really tell the difference.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Thanks, Rhi - I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. i barely have anyone to talk to about this and my partner is a little 'over it' but tries to be supportive. she is going thru her own difficulties with trying to finish a thesis and being unemployed, so has limited bandwidth for my stuff. i understand, of course, but still i need to find support. I have been many years in a 12 step program but i dont feel comfortable talking about this in that environment.

I stayed at 0.5 today and so far it is not worse than yesterday. had a normal bowel movement and after-symptoms are low. Will take it one day at a time. The 0.525 will come Tues so if i need it i can use it.

You said -

I really think it's probably just an acute reaction to your latest cut, in which case it will resolve over time.

It's not unusual for people while tapering to sometimes have a strong reaction to a cut and to be afraid that they're going to go back to their worst times and be stuck there again.

So what i am wondering is - is it possible that if i stay at 0.5 that i might even out - even after having this recent bad reaction?  I want to do the right thing and have no problem with going up to 0.525 when it comes but i would also like to avoid the 'adjustment' i will likely go thru if i increase.

as i said, today (so far) seems better than yesterday. it is the weekend so i can get some rest from work.

Here is a little more info -

It has really only been since Dec 2013 that i have been on evenly measured dosages of the compounded Lexapro.for a long time before that i was fluctuating with dosage.

i have been at 0.5 for 31 days exactly.  the first couple of weeks were a little bumpy but i did even out some and have had some definite good days.

i didnt mention in posts above but about 2 weeks ago i was feeling ok, evening out somewhat, then i went to the chiropractor and he did e-stim on my shoulders. i have had mixed experiences with chiro since going thru all this. i often find it too stimulating. but i hadnt been for about 3 months and the neck/shoulder tension, clenching and numbness in my hands and arms was aggravated so i went. It was not such a good idea. i felt really good the next day but then was really messed up for over a week. on top of it, things really ramped up at my job and the stress has been hard to deal with.  then the constipation started lessening and those symptoms increased.

i feel that since i reinstated the Lexapro and started to taper, i am dealing with being hyper-sensitive to the medication and so having side effects and then if overstimulated i go into withdrawal symptoms.

what i think of as side effects of the Lexapro are, in order of most difficult -

constipation (not now)

the head/neck/shoulder clenching and numbness in arms and hands

OCD/wired - overstimulated, overactive mind

occasional tinnitus

eye twitching

sleep trouble

what i think of as withdrawal symptoms are -

after normal or any kind of bowel movement -chills, acid reflux, inflammation of stomach, abdominal pain vertigo, nausea

Anxiety/panic

dark intrusive thoughts

crying spells

anger

self pity

suicidal

cant socialize

cant think straight or concentrate

headaches

cant leave the house -

Thanks again for reading my posts!

pokeshaw in bklyn

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I do think if you stick it out at the 0.50 things will settle down. Depending on the stresses in your life and how tolerable or disruptive your symptoms are, if I were in your shoes, that's what I would do, as long as I was able to get enough sleep and function at work and get through the days. But I don't think going to 0.525 would be harmful either if that's what you choose. The most important thing at this point, I think, is to HOLD a long time at whichever dose you choose. At least another month, maybe a couple.

And when you're ready to taper again, I'd start with a cut of 5% or less and hold four weeks and see how that goes. You may eventually be able to ramp up to a more aggressive taper, maybe not, but as long as you can function in your life I think your system needs stability now more than it needs an aggressive taper.

I've had a few days off but am going into a more intense work schedule now so I won't be on the forum as much (probably, depends on how busy we are at work, but we're usually pretty busy on the weekends). So I won't be around as much.

i will heed your advice and suggestions. especially holding longer before next cut in dosage. i agree that i should do no more than 5%. 

I understand that you may not be on forum as much due to your work schedule.  that's cool.  i know there are others out there who will respond if i reach out. that is the amazing gift of this forum!  Truly a blessing that i am grateful for.

have a great weekend! and thanks for getting me thru this rough patch!

pokeshaw in bklyn

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

my most recent taper from 0.55 mg to 0.5 mg was tolerable for about 3 weeks but then the w/d symptoms hit. they have evened out now but i will stay at 0.5 mg for at least another month and my next taper will be 5%. 

i have also ordered some Magnesium oil to try.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds great! And I'm really happy Rhi's advice helped. You know also have a very good plan in place

(As somebody who is yet to deal with Lexapro I'm horrified to see that you struggle so badly with such a small dose of this evil :( And to think that I finished my "taper" at 2.5 mg.... who knows what would be with me without this forum...)

all the best with the rest of the journey!

bubble 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks, Bubble!  And all the best to you, too!

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

Hi - i need suggestions on how best to proceed.

my last taper from 0.55 mg Lexapro to 0.5 mg was a bit bumpy but then ok until 3 weeks in and i starting having W/D symptoms again. Rhi helped me navigate that and   i ordered 0.525 to have on hand but waited a few days and things did begin to improve some.

but now the w/d symptoms are back. especially the bad symptoms after (normal) bowel movement - the chills, cramps, reflux, vertigo.  also trouble sleeping and anxiety/depression/panicky and very tight brain grip feeling and trouble concentrating. these symptoms were much lower at 0.55 mg but i had more side effects like constipation, numbness in arms and hands, irritability.

it has now been 6 weeks at 0.5 and thinking maybe i should increase to 0.525?

the last couple of days have been bad. could it be that i introduced Omega-3 fish oil?  i took one cap yesterday and one today. would this amount trigger w/d symptoms??

i cap = total omega-3's 345 mg

EPA 165 mg

DHA 110 mg

other omega-3's 70 mg

The question is - can i go back up even though i have been at last cut for 6 weeks? 

Not quite sure what to do?

Thanks!

Pokeshaw in Bklyn

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Try dropping the fish oil.

Did you add anything else in the last few weeks? Allergy medication? Alcohol?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would again wait and expect the symptoms to abate like they did the last time...

they come and go, come and go and we have to try not to react to their provocation (unless Alto says otherwise :)

hope things get better soon again!

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Try dropping the fish oil.

Did you add anything else in the last few weeks? Allergy medication? Alcohol?

Hello Alto -  I stopped the fish oil and today was a bit better.  I did go the chiropractor and he did e-stim which was too much. i had a bad reaction to that which took over a week to calm down, but was about 3wks ago.  I dont drink alcohol or take any other medications. symptoms definitely got worse on 2 days of fish oil. will stay at current dose of 0.5 see how it goes next few days.  Thanks!

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

I would again wait and expect the symptoms to abate like they did the last time...

they come and go, come and go and we have to try not to react to their provocation (unless Alto says otherwise :)

hope things get better soon again!

Thanks, Bubble - doing better today now that i stopped the fish oil. amazing!  Thank you for your support - much appreciated :)

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

Stopping the fish oil definitely stopped the bad W/D symptoms.  main issue right now is trouble sleeping which has been up and down over the past few months. seems the lower i go with dosage the more difficult it is to sleep.

i recently bought some Magnesium Oil and would like to try it but a bit nervous after the fish oil experience.  Any suggestions on how i should proceed?

Here is what i bought -

Ancient Minerals

8 sprays delivers 100 mgs magnesium

Thanks again,

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Try a very small one spray first.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't improve on the advice you're getting. 

It appears to me that your CNS and enteric nervous system are very sensitive to small changes. (I'm guessing it appears that way to you too. :-)

So I would avoid anything that could be stimulating (like, for now, treatments like e-stim or maybe even acupuncture, or other dietary supplements).

Stay at your current dose for however long it takes, I think. At this point going up a bit might help or it might just destabilize you. You're well into the adaptation to the 0.5 mg. Just stay there until your symptoms have been completely quiet for at least two weeks. Then I would consider an even smaller cut than 5%, maybe 3%, just to see how it goes.

As sensitive as you are, you might do better with a microtaper, doing very small cuts (1-3%) but more often, with intermittent longer holds. 

Thanks, Alto and Rhi - i will try only one spray of the magnesium oil in a few days and see how that goes.

true that my cns is very sensitive. probably due to the fact that i was off the medication for 9 months before reinstating and then when i did my dosing was all over the place. i will stay at 0.5 for a while longer and next cut will try only 3% to see how that goes.

Today was a pretty good day in spite of a restless sleep last night.

Thanks!  i will keep you posted.

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Just want to chime in here and say that the knowledge and intuition that Rhi and Alto have is

amazing. I would never have thought of the fish oil being a problem! Glad you go t that one sorted

out and feel better for dropping it, hope the magnesium helps .  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Just want to chime in here and say that the knowledge and intuition that Rhi and Alto have is

amazing. I would never have thought of the fish oil being a problem! Glad you go t that one sorted

out and feel better for dropping it, hope the magnesium helps .  :)

Thank you mammaP - i am learning, slowly learning to keep it really simple! Rhi and Alto are invaluable. i dont know where i would be without this site and community!   will post my experience with small dose of magnesium. thinking of trying it on the weekend since i will be off work.

best,

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

good to hear :)

Need suggestion for how best to proceed.

I tried one spray of the Magnesium oil for 2 days. not sure if it was that or job stress but W/D symptoms seem to be aggravated again. stopped the Magnesium 2 days ago.

i have been at 0.5 mg for just over 6 weeks now and feel i am balancing a fine line where the least little thing will tip me over into uncomfortable W/D symptoms. Happened with small dose of fish oil, chiropractor treatment, eating peanuts, magnesium, and definitely stress.

mainly the gastro symptoms. too high a dose and i am constipated, going from 0.55 to 0.5 constipation slowly went away but now it doesnt take much and bowels are moving too fast with bad symptoms  afterward. last couple of days were not good. As i have posted before, my diet is excellent, been checked for all sorts of bowel issues and doctor found nothing. Dr. Leo Galland here in NYC, very good integrated med doc who specializes in gastro issues. he also agreed that it is a motility issue caused by the Lexapro.

So, wondering if i can safely go up from 0.5 to 0.525 to see if i get more balance?  or should i hang in there at 0.5 and hope that it balances out more. last couple of days wore my down though.

any suggestions?

Thank you!

Pokeshaw in Bklyn.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Since it's gut issues, I would focus on ways to calm the gut. Have you tried a little psyllium? Probiotics? Ginger? Try a little bit of one at a time.

Or, perhaps a very bland diet for a few days. Lamb and rice is the basic bland diet for isolating food sensitivities.

Hi -

I cant take probiotics - too activating for me. i dont feel it is food sensitivities though. i have been thru so much checking on all that. and trying different food approaches.  my diet is pretty clean and simple. i feel pretty clear on what i can't eat. i havent eaten dairy for many years, no sugar, no coffee, very little bread, low carbs, good proteins, alot of veg's. i can try keeping it very bland and see what happens. but i did that when i was at my worst and it didnt make any difference.

the change started a couple of weeks after stepping down from 0.55 to 0.5  i have had some pretty good days but then the ups and downs.all related to motility.  was just wondering if increasing by 5% would be a problem after 6 weeks at 0.5?  Do you think that is a bad idea?

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

my most recent taper from 0.55 mg to 0.5 mg was tolerable for about 3 weeks but then the w/d symptoms hit. they have evened out now but i will stay at 0.5 mg for at least another month and my next taper will be 5%. 

Dear Pokeshaw,

if you look back at your post, you will see that the symptoms came and WENT, came and WENT, came and WENT.... WITHOUT CHANGING THE DRUG.

Now you have increase in symptoms again, the drug is a constant in this equation but we have STRESS as added moment.

So why change the drug?

It seems now you have a great although unpleasant opportunity to learn how to deal with stress WITHOUT drugs. Drugs are not only a harmful but also a short-lived solution.

I quoted the post in which you said you will stick with the present dose for at least a month. You should have added: no matter what ;)

try to completely forget about the drug, let it fall into the background, live your life as if it was not there and use the energy and time released in that way to focus on dealing with stress.

If I were you, I'd look at Symptoms and self-care section of the forum for tips and techniques of how to deal with stress.

This could be a very valuable time to learn new techniques and approaches. Have you tried meditation, CBT, maybe a talk therapy?

And you can also write here about what is causing you stress in this particular moment ;) Stress is a rather vague term... You can write what it means to you in this very moment, what is hapepning in your life that is causing you to feel stressed...

you can do it!

bubble

• Moderator Emeritus

The ups and downs mean that you are healing P.  Leave the drugs as they are and

the symptoms will settle down again. When they  have been bearable for a few weeks.

then is the time to make another cut.  It will settle down, it's the waves and windows

pattern and happens to all of us so don't worry.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Dear Pokeshaw,

if you look back at your post, you will see that the symptoms came and WENT, came and WENT, came and WENT.... WITHOUT CHANGING THE DRUG.

Now you have increase in symptoms again, the drug is a constant in this equation but we have STRESS as added moment.

So why change the drug?

It seems now you have a great although unpleasant opportunity to learn how to deal with stress WITHOUT drugs. Drugs are not only a harmful but also a short-lived solution.

I quoted the post in which you said you will stick with the present dose for at least a month. You should have added: no matter what ;)

try to completely forget about the drug, let it fall into the background, live your life as if it was not there and use the energy and time released in that way to focus on dealing with stress.

If I were you, I'd look at Symptoms and self-care section of the forum for tips and techniques of how to deal with stress.

This could be a very valuable time to learn new techniques and approaches. Have you tried meditation, CBT, maybe a talk therapy?

And you can also write here about what is causing you stress in this particular moment ;) Stress is a rather vague term... You can write what it means to you in this very moment, what is hapepning in your life that is causing you to feel stressed...

you can do it!

bubble

Thanks, Bubble.  i hear what you are saying about stress. i certainly could focus more on stress redux techniques. i do go to talk therapy and 12 step groups. i do some stretching each day and try to make quiet time for myself but it is difficult to give that to myself and my therapist and i are focusing on that - how hard it is for me to give myself what i need. i spend alot of time doing busy work and taking care of things that can wait.

so, yes, i hear you. it is my 'elephant in the middle of the room' for sure.

the stress is around work changes - my manager just gave notice and now i am feeling overwhelmed because we are in the middle of a huge transition to a new system etc.    home life - my partner has been unemployed finishing a masters degree and i am afraid she will not find work. 

when i first went off the meds and got so sick i was on disability until it ran out and then i went back on the meds and pushed myself to go back to work. it has been difficult but i have done it. now the challenge is to create some kind of work/life balance. i didnt really have that problem previous to this medication nightmare.  so, most of the time i feel like i am functioning with a handicap.

the reason i ask about the medication dosage is because it has only been a few months that i have been on consistent dosing now that i am using a compounding pharmacy. and this last drop shifted the constipation issue slowly but surely but now it is beginning to feel the way it did 2 months  after my original withdrawal.  feeling the withdrawal symptoms. so i wonder if the 10% drop was too much. Rhi had suggested that i may need to make smaller cuts which i will do. it has been 6 weeks at this dose and yes, i have had some good days but right now i am concerned about where this is going. i guess it feels too much like when i originally got so sick so i am concerned that i cut too much and should go back up a bit. i am at 0.5 and i have 0.525 available.

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand what you mean. 

I would just like to add that it is not any particular dose that helps the healing but STABILITY which is achieved by not changing dosages and jumping up or down (especially if your CNS is already battered).

Although I'm not a big expert, I would've personally stayed at 0.6 for months. So it wasn't only the amount of the cut but also its timing that I think wasn't helpful. But again, the best remedy for that is not making further changes and allowing your system to adjust through stability. 

After changes we make, discontinuing, restarting, too fast tapers, etc. it literally takes months of painful windows and waves to achieve stability. (After my disaster with lexapro and Xanax I waited for 4 months before starting tapering Xanax).

It's jsut my opinion and I hope somebody else offers theirs so that you can have more elements for making your decision. 

I'm really sorry things are at the same time so stressful for you both at work and at home. It's the same for me ;(

But you have demonstrated that you are a very strong person, you are aware of what is going on so now you "just" have to apply this to practice.

I also think that putting ourelves in the center and putting our needs first whenever possible (because it's a prerequisite for everything else!) is the most important thing.

So give yourself credit whenever you can: something like- look at me, I'm in WD, I'm exepriencing awful waves but I work despite that.

Also cut yourself as many slacks as you can. When feeling stressed, pay close attention to yourself, what is happening in your body and mind and try to insulate yourself from the environment. I find these little tricks most helpful.

And I also listen to Jon Kabbat Zinn ;)  here is a link to the guy https://www.youtube....o&feature=share

hope it helps!

• Administrator

Pokeshaw, you might try going to 0.525mg. I wouldn't go back to 0.55mg because it might be too stimulating now.

Thanks Alto and Bubble -

I hear what you are saying about staying a while on one dose. Yes, probably would have been a good idea to stay longer at 0.6 but the side effects were so harsh and i guess i was being a bit willful.  i am slowly 'getting' how this is working, and as you say - after all my ups and downs with dosage etc it could take months to gain stability. i am having a hard time accepting how damaged my cns is but i get that i cant change that overnight.

Today was actually a little bit better than yesterday. a mini-window!   i wasn't crippled by hopelessness and  gastro symptoms.  nor was I on the verge of tears or panic. all that was dialed down from 8 to about 5.  so it was a productive day and in spite of the bitter cold i was grateful to be alive!

The questions i have tonight are -

1) if i stay at 0.5 even though the 10% drop from 0.55 to 0.5 was probably too much considering my history and the w/d symptoms i am experiencing, is there still a chance that things will improve?

2) if i stay at 0.5 another couple of weeks and things don't improve, would i be doing any harm to go up to 0.525 after 2 months at 0.5?

i understand that if i make the decision to go up 5% to 0.525 then i will need to stay there a while.

Thank you for being there!

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Administrator

Yes, if you stay at 0.5mg, your system may stabilize further.

Increasing later is a possibility. Impossible to tell if it will be beneficial -- it will be trial and error, same as now.

Thank you, Alto - i will take it one day at a time and see how it goes.

much appreciated!

P

11/6/2013 -  0.6 mg

4/1/18 - .1 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I hear what you are saying about staying a while on one dose. Yes, probably would have been a good idea to stay longer at 0.6 but the side effects were so harsh and i guess i was being a bit willful.  i am slowly 'getting' how this is working, and as you say - after all my ups and downs with dosage etc it could take months to gain stability. i am having a hard time accepting how damaged my cns is but i get that i cant change that overnight.

Today was actually a little bit better than yesterday. a mini-window!   i wasn't crippled by hopelessness and  gastro symptoms.  nor was I on the verge of tears or panic. all that was dialed down from 8 to about 5.  so it was a productive day and in spite of the bitter cold i was grateful to be alive!

The questions i have tonight are -

1) if i stay at 0.5 even though the 10% drop from 0.55 to 0.5 was probably too much considering my history and the w/d symptoms i am experiencing, is there still a chance that things will improve?

2) if i stay at 0.5 another couple of weeks and things don't improve, would i be doing any harm to go up to 0.525 after 2 months at 0.5?

i understand that if i make the decision to go up 5% to 0.525 then i will need to stay there a while.

Thank you for being there!

P

Sorry I missed the thing about the side effects!

What you called a mini window is an awsome thing: it means you are on the right track!!!

question 1: IMHO, big chance, stability heals

question 2: let's cross that bridge when we get there

wishing you more windows!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Given that you've been at 0.5 for six weeks now, I'd lean towards the "stay where you are" side. You've probably done a lot more adapting than you realize. It's just that the process is bumpy right up till the point where it stops being quite so bumpy.

I can relate to this :"this last drop shifted the constipation issue slowly but surely but now it is beginning to feel the way it did 2 months  after my original withdrawal.  feeling the withdrawal symptoms. so i wonder if the 10% drop was too much."

A lot of people express this fear. I think it's actually PTSD from severe withdrawal which some of us get when we've been seriously ill after CTs or quitting too fast. When we're feeling the same symptoms again during a taper, it can be pretty scary. But this isn't that. Yes, you probably did cut too much, too soon, and you're paying the price. But this is way different from a CT or drastic drop. Your CNS is wobbling, sure, but it will adapt.

I would encourage you to try to reduce stress in your life and look at the suggestions under Symptoms and Self-Care. And allow your system some time to heal and stabilize. I'm inclined to agree with Bubble, that given your history, at this point your system really needs the a chance to develop homeostasis, and changing dosages will interrupt that.

But it's up to you. Unfortunately nobody can say for sure.

I do think that once you stabilize, you need to make sure you give yourself a long break before cutting again, and you need to cut no more than 5% next time. Actually it might be good to experiment with a microcut, something like 2-3%, just to see how your system reacts. You know now what it's like when you cut a lot and get sick; it might be good to experiment with cutting very small amounts and seeing how your body responds, how the symptoms come on, how they unfold and play out, how they resolve. Having that information will give you much more control over your own taper. You'll be able to choose how much to cut depending on what kind of stress you're under and what you're expecting to come up in your life.

Your body is really the only expert on how you need to taper, so experiment gently and let it teach you how it works and what it needs. And keep that journal ranking your symptoms daily! (you'll need that data, trust me. It turns out our brains on withdrawal aren't so great at keeping track subjectively.)