SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

RubyTuesday: off her meds

RubyTuesday

Hi,

I have been off Remiron for 4 months after a quick 2 month taper from 7.5 down to 0. (a year earlier I had been up to 45mg.)

during which time I posted a journal on IAWP. My life has presented way too many problems & stressors since then but I have hung on and not gone back on Remiron. I seem to be leveling off. There are waves that are getting further apart and milder. Every few weeks I suddenly get a week or less where I feel like I am back to square one. Panic, crying, the shakes, nausea, headaches, twitches, etc. Then after at least 3 days I finally calm down.(usually with the help of 1/4 of a 25mg Seroquel during the day)  Re reading Hope and Help for your Nerves by Claire Weeks that I inherited from my mother, highly recommend this book for all psych med withdrawers. Also still carrying around Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal by Peter Breggin and re reading all my underlinings every other day or so.

RubyTuesday

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RubyTuesday,

Welcome to SA, I'm glad you decided to join.  There are a few IAWP members here.

I'm sorry you are still having some symptoms, but at only 4 months off, after a fast taper, that's probably not too unusual, it sounds like in general, you are doing better.

Congratulations on being able to stay off Remiron, in spite of going through a lot of stress.  Have those life problems settled down now?

When you get a chance, please put your withdrawal history in your signature, it helps people understand your context when they read your posts.  Instructions here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Have a look around this site, there is a lot of good information here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 year later...

Hi, this is Ruby Tuesday just figuring out the basics of how this website works and posting a new intro. I came over here from another forum don't remember what it was called. Mid 2013 I tapered off Remiron fairly quickly and wrote a lot in the other forum. Still on Lamictal & Seroquel, have been tapering both alternately and very slowly ever since.

I used to be a writer but the Lam/Sq WD and/or after-effects of 11+ years of SSRI have resulted in what I am now finally understanding as Chronic Brain Impairment. I work extremely part time under the table in child care not enough to live on but what I get on G.A. pending an SSI claim is not enough to live on either. Also there is a long term emotionally un available boyfriend who also contributes not quite enough to actually live on. So doing the shopping and cooking to get the right nutrition and supplements is extremely challenging but I am doing it. My main source of emotional support is AA although alcohol itself was never really my drug of choice.

I titled this post grapefruit juice because a couple of times I have over heard someone saying that when you take psych meds you are not supposed to drink grapefruit juice. because it "weakens" the "effect" of the psych med: or the "meds do not "work" correctly". Of course none of my docs ever told me this (& they weren't docs anyhoo, basically just the glorified nursing assistants you get when you are on public benefits) but what is interesting is this: when I first "got sober" my "sponsor" made me write a gratitude list every day and every day I put "grapefruit juice" at the top of the list, because I had extreme cravings for it and still do and totally love it. So I started wondering the other night, while drinking my grapefruit juice, if this was my body's way of trying to tell me that I was overmedicated.

I put most of my symptoms in my signature, at this point I couldn't tell you which are "side effects" of which drug and which are WD effects of which drug, and guess what, neither can any of those guys in white lab coats!!! God or Buddha bless each and every one of you this website and the Internet itself has saved my life and every single post I have read has helped me recover just a little bit. I think it is Lam WD that is causing these fits of extreme depression & crying, so my new solution is just to come here and read. Oh, I live with my 21 year old son who is a great kid but I try not to depend too much on him for emotional support as I am still his parent after all.

Ruby Tuesday

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

Hi Ruby. Welcome back. Your symptoms are very challenging, and I am glad you are here.

I have heard about grapefruit juice conflicting with blood pressure meds; hadn't heard of it interfering with psych meds, but why not? Psych meds affect so many organs.

Thanks for posting the relaxing waves :)

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ruby Tuesday , welcome to the site.   I know you've posted a bit , but it's lovely to see your introduction.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Ruby, It's nice to meet you, thanks for sharing your story, look forward to seeing you around :)

All medications::

Xanax (1995-96), Aropax (1995-96), Mellaril (1997-2000), Efexor (1997-2002), Seroquel (2000-now), Lithium Carbonate (2000-now), Avanza (2002-05), Epilim (2005), Seroquel-XR (2000-now), Zyprexa (2002-14), Raberprazole (2000-now prn), Crestor (2009-15), Gabapentin (2009-12), Lamictal (2010-now), Abilify (2011-now) Lyrica (2012-now), Diazepam (2010-now prn), Saphris (2014), Respiridone (2014), Chlorpromazine (2014) Neulatil (07/2016)

Current medications:

Lithium Carbonate 750mg; Seroquel-XR 600mg800mg 04/16, 600mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 200mg 04/16, 400mg 04/16, 500mg 04/16; Lamictal 250mg 200mg150mg 04/16; Lyrica 300mg; Abilify 20mg 30mg 11/15 Zoloft 25mg 04/16 ceased after a week due to severe suicidal thoughts; Seroquel 25mg prn; Diazepam 40mg CT Jan 2013, 5mg occasionally, (massive med changes in April 2016 due to a hospital admission).

SupplementsFish oil 4000mgMagnesium 100mg Niacinamide 1000mgSlippery Elm 800mg , B12 1000mcg, Zinc 50mg, B6 100mg, Vitamin D 2000IU, Calcium 1200mgP5P 100mg, Vitamin C 2000mg, Vitamin E 400IU

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome RubyTuesday,

Thank you for posting an introduction.

I titled this post grapefruit juice because a couple of times I have over heard someone saying that when you take psych meds you are not supposed to drink grapefruit juice. because it "weakens" the "effect" of the psych med: or the "meds do not "work" correctly".

Studies have shown that grapefruit effects the way some drugs are metabolized in the body, these interactions can sometimes cause serious side effects.  Seroquel (Quetiapine) is one of these drugs, which you are currently still taking.

Grapefruit is a potent inhibitor of the enzyme that is used to metabolize Seroquel.  This means it stays in your body longer, so its like you are taking a higher dose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit%E2%80%93drug_interactions

But I don't think there is anything for you to worry about, you are taking a low dose of Seroquel now.  It would probably be dangerous if you were taking a high dose or several drugs with this interaction. If you did want to stop drinking the grapefruit juice, I suggest you taper off it slowly because stopping it suddenly may effect the level of seroquel which is currently in your body.  The studies indicate that grapefruit can effect the way drugs are metabolized for up to 3 days.

We recommend only tapering one drug at a time, and I think you are alternating your tapers, so that's good.  In case you haven't seen them, here are our topics with tips:

Tips for tapering off Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

I suggest you continue to hold until your symptoms settle down before continuing to taper.  I hope you start to feel better soon.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

wow Petunia, thank you so much, looks like I should start stabilizing my dose of grapefruit juice and keep that in my log too, especially before I start tapering my Seroquel again (haven't in several months) am working on Lamictal at the moment

MY JOURNAL

every once in awhile in spite of single motherhood, being disabled without a disability benefit, being a trauma survivor, and so forth, I manage to assemble all my little bits and peices of paper, spiral notebooks started by more than one of my inner personalities, old appointment books, fragments of withdrawal logs kept in different places, and so forth, and make chapter titles for my life, and subchapter titles: here they are:

2009- 2015

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR

1. 2009 to 2010 Oblivion

2. 2011 nobody's child (Bob Dylan quote...she never stumbles. she's got no place to fall. she's nobody's child. the law can't touch her at all.)

3. 2011 to 2013. POLYPHARMACY

4. April 2013 to as long as it takes. Tapering. As Long as it Takes.

will post more on Lamictal wd when I have more time (taking a foreign language class at the free community college is absolutely crucial to my brain rehabilitation program) (and off I go)

BUT FIRST...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS THREAD I AM REDUCING LAMICTAL RIGHT NOW

had been at 50 mg for a couple of years, since before  1. withdrew from Remiron 2. started reducing Seroquel (originally at 100? 200? m when my Mom died?)

reduced 10% of 50 mg. for about a week. no problems

reduced roughly (cutting into quarters) additional 15% totalling %30 of 50 mg sometime in late January

started having problems: severe anxiety, crying fits, suicidal feelings. eye pain, increased eye focus problems (always a side effect) and headaches resulting from not being able to stop crying.

just up dosed to a weighed out 80% of my original 50 mg dose about a week ago ( it is March) am waiting to stabilize, as long as it takes!!!

problem: updosing also causes problematic side effects: attacks of narcolepsy, must close eyes, must sleep for a couple of seconds, feverish all over burning feelings, and that extremely painful feeling that my skin is jiggling against my volition and each micromovement hurts like hell. for this I take tylenol and sit very still and do deep breathing. lie down dark room, cold rag over eyes, listen to ocean waves

• Administrator

Ruby, I moved your post here from the Lamictal tapering topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1122-tips-for-tapering-off-lamictal-lamotrigine/

Have you had the skin burning sensations for a week? Do you have any rash anywhere on your skin?

It sounds to me like 80% of 50mg (40mg) is too much for you. If you have a rash, if I were you, I'd reduce it immediately to 30mg.

Please use a liquid form of lamotrigine for more controlled dosing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

i think I mis-spoke, I do not have a rash. I have a feverish, hot sensation when I updose on Lamictal. I remember it from when I first updosed at the end of 2011. since then I have only downdosed.

but I will look for a rash.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ruby Tuesday here, starting a new intro because I don't like the title of my old one: Grapefruit Juice.

Figured out how to "follow" a topic, which means I can actually have a conversation with someone on this forum.

having problems with nerve pain. calling it arthritis for simplicity's sake when conversing with people who don't understand psych med wd issues. (that would be everyone.)

SYMPTOMS: 

had same issues when reducing Seroquel as I am having when reducing Lamictal. A constellation of related symptoms: 1) needle like sensations all over. 2) sharp stabbing pain when I move a joint. very unpredictable. 3) muscles around the joint might suddenly contract and refuse all attempts to let go and relax, leaving me immobile for up to 3 days (this has improved since I have been receiving regular chiropractic care) 4) sensations above my ear or around temples like a steel hammer banging on my head. 5) sensations behind my eyeballs like needles 6) when I move my eyes there is a sharp sudden pain like it relates to the film over my eyes, sort of like when your eyes are full of sleep and you move them too suddenly.

another constellation of symptoms which frequently accompanies the above one: 1) persistent nerve twitches A) below left eye B) left upper arm C) left shoulder behind neck D) other places on body at random. 2) a generalized all over feeling of heaviness and dopey ness.3) cognitive impairment (can't figure out things like I usually can. simple activities, like washing the dishes, or getting dressed,

feel overwhelmingly complicated.)

symptom constellation #3 accompanying the 2 above: 1) extreme anxiety bordering on ataxia 2) ataxia 3) "what should I do what should I do what should I do what should I do what should I do what should I do what should I do" 4) why can't I...? why can't I...? why can't I...? why can't I...? why can't I...? why can't I...? why can't I...? why can't I...?  5)  can't stop crying. feeling of total loss. have lost absolutely everyone & thing dear to me

#4) as I can't stop crying, I get more light sensitive, and my whole brain starts to tingle, and if I move my head the slightest bit, it feels like it is too much. eyes hurt from crying, leading back to Constellation 1, above.

I AM WORKING ON ANTIDOTES TO VARIOUS SYMPTOMS ABOVE: 

C1.(pain) STOP!!! deep breathing. "let go. let go. let go. let go. let go. let go. let go.... if have to move, which frequently I do, if I am outside of my home, or inside of it, then move as slowly as possible. Slow down to like you are doing a zen walking meditation thing.

C2.(twitches, confusion.)  the zen walking thing

C3. 1&2: (ataxia) best thing is to find a rocking chair and rock. if no rocking chair available, use my feet to rock my body and try to breathe really slowly and deeply. bad tendency is to think really hard about what drug I can take. got Visterol from doc, sometimes it helps but makes me feel heavier and stupid. recently have been taking micro doses of cannabis again, especially with the joint pain. fortunately a micro dose is helpful. 3& 4. these are thought disorders. calling them that is helpful. substitute affirmations. my favorites: "I am a good person". (repeat indefinitely.) "let go." (repeat indefinitely.) "acceptance is the answer to all my problems today." (repeat indefinitely.) "I am safe right now.my son is safe right now." (repeat indefinitely.) for the "i can't" I have just started thinking "can I (fill in the blank) make it really simple, like "can I make myself a cup of tea? yes, I can make myself a cup of tea."

3.5 is the 2nd most challenging (crying fits). Difficult to discriminate which path to follow, both work at different times: 1) dive into it, do some yogic breathing, hug my teddy bear 2) get some coffee and get the hell out of the house. but sometimes I am in my car, in which case, pull over somewhere with a view and dive into it. then get some coffee. I also puff on an e cig. the shot of nicotine seems to help. was never a smoker before ad wd. MOST IMPORTANT COGNITIVE INTERVENTION FOR THIS PROBLEM: "my son is safe. and guess what: he is in the next room." problem arises when he is out of the house, which he is every day for a few hours, in which case I think "I did the very best I could and I did a really good job with him. Every mother has to let go."

C4 is related to 3.5: same solutions as above, also: lie down in a dark room with a cold rag on my eyes, but this only works in the latter half of the day, after I have done whatever I need to do. if it is morning, then...well, actually, for this one symptom, I do not yet have a solution. well, maybe take a Tylenol and half a Visterol. there is one time of day when sitting in my armchair in a sunny window with the shade down to protect my eyes but up far enough to get the sun on my body is helpful. there are kids who play beneath my window when school is out. i love to listen to them.

I am posting this because I was reading another post: Strange Animal re: Paxil, and I noticed that some of the people commenting know way more than I do about each drug and how it reacts chemically on body, would love to hear from those guys.

my supplements: calcium/magnesium, vitamin B. blue green algae/chlorophyll. acidophilus.

what puzzles me is why I get the same constellations of symptoms when reducing Seroquel or Lamictal, i have been reducing them both very slowly, alternately, one at a time, for a couple of years. was on SSRI s a total of 12 .5 years, ending June 2013.

Ruby Tuesday

• Moderator Emeritus

I have merged your 3 topics into one intro for you Ruby  as it is one intro topic per person in the introductions forum to keep everything in one place. 

I can change the title if you like? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

You get the same symptoms because changing any of the drugs destabilizes your nervous system. The symptoms are from your nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

thank you. would you mind titling it "off her meds"?

RubyTuesday

OOPS

I said ataxia somewhere up there but I meant

ak·a·this·ia
ˌakəˈTHiZHə,-ˈTHizēə/
noun

1. a state of agitation, distress, and restlessness that is an occasional side-effect of antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs.

• 5 months later...

Had tapered down to one half of a 25 mg for almost a year. (highest I ever took was about 50 mg.)

Doc told me to cut into quarters. Yea, right.

I cut into sixths and took 2/3 of half of 25 mg for about a month while I started a new job.

Only reason I could even do that was because of Jim Harper Neurogenetic Solutions The Road Back (google it)

and acupuncture. started the vitamin supplements about a; month before I took the first cut.

Then down to 1/3 of 1/2 which I think is 1/6 or about 5 milligrams. Using a digital scale. For 2 weeks.

Then jumped off. No seroquel for 7 days.

feeling Okay when I take my vitamin supplements, lousy one day when I forgot. Feel the w/d all the usual: mood swings/grumpies/akathisia etc. but it's all manageable thanks to The Road Back vitamin supplements.

had to get off Seroquel because I am a former ballet dancer. had such severe joint problems for more than a year which I finally realized is tardive dyskinesia. Gee, thanks, doc. You coulda told me that but you didnt

Day I cut SQ down to the last dose was the first day I made it through the whole ballet barre without my left hip spasming into a painful cramp that made me stop halfway thru class. that was 10 classes ago. I started crying tears of relief in the middle of class and whispering "thank you God" over and over under my breath every time I reached down and touched my toes. I am still driving around crying tears of relief and thanking my lucky stars. Honest to God I thought I would never be able to dance again.

gotta put in a plug for acupuncture too. there's a reason there are more Chinese people on the planet than any other kind.

still on a water solution of 70% of a 25 mg Lamictal both eve & morn.

gonna start reducing that one soon. again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Ruby!  You are back at the barre!  That is incredible news! 

I've seen your posts around the site, and finally came by to "see who you are!"  

And what I see over 2 years is amazing - from the "cannot move, darkened room, cool washcloth," to the "moving slowly, like zen, I can make a cuppa tea" to - getting through a whole barre!

I just saw a very dance-based Spanish movie last night called "Talk to Her."  It's a little fantastic, in that Spanish surrealism sort of way - but I love the way that dance was weaved throughout the movie - even when not about dance.  There was a silent movie within-the-movie, and it was obvious that those performers were dancers, too.  Anyhow, after seeing that movie last night, and reading about you here - it's a good start to my day!  Thank you!

(I agree, that acupuncture is awesome!)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

golly, thank you so much, I had no idea anyone was following me on here. since I posted that I have gotten thru fourteen whole barres, and seven since jumping off Seroquel completely on October 2. of course my tummy falls thru the floor and the room spins around without warning thru out the week and I cry for silly reasons and still get the heebie jeebies, but over all I am actually in my body again, getting stronger every day, and have started doing some center work as well, practicing my pirouettes at home, helps with the akathisia, nothing like intense physical exercise, thank god my joints are actually warming up and getting stronger again

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hi, Ruby, how are you doing now?

Thanks for asking, it reminds me how much better I am doing even tho I still struggle with depression. Got off Seroquel October 2 and have taken more than 30 ballet classes since then and am going to talk to someone at the Rec center tomorrow about teaching pre-ballet. Have been working again for 3 months with kids at an afterschool center. Am doing 60% in water solution of my daily 50 mg Lamictal. Doing a hold right now. I still have waves of depression, depersonalization, slow brain shivers, fatigue, brain fog, but since I can dance again I basically have a way to cope with it. And, I have many moments of feeling actually good, so I can refer back to them when I am in a low place, and remember that I felt awesome yesterday. And, since I finally got my disability, I can finally plan an actual rehab with enough time to rest and still pay for acupuncture, vitamin supplements, chiropractic, massage, and good nutrition. you know, the stuff that actually helps that no medical insurance will pay for. (But on welfare medical insurance i did get a free lifetime supply of psych meds! whoopee!) Thanks again for asking.

• Administrator

What great news, Ruby! Carry on!

• 1 month later...

Hi RubyTuesday here thank you so much for posting in this Lamictal thread. January 2 I reduced my 30 mg to 25. using a water solution, take twice a day. total every 24 hours now 25 mg. lots of wd stuff/ overlapping/obsfucating with being off Seroquel for 3 months now. mostly nerve pain, nerve cramping, intense depression untreatable by coffee, brain fog, crying fits, dp/dr,  the good news is that I am down to my very last psych med. (except Visterol. is that a psych med? is that going to be a problem?) and yes definitely a low level nausea which is treatable by Visterol

oh and also i forgot to mention the eye pain, nerves around eyes, eyes burning, eyes twitching, eyes trying to close while I am driving

I am really sick of this. I want my life back.

• Administrator

Ruby, I moved your posts here.

A reduction from 30mg lamotrigine to 25mg is almost 17%. It seems this was too much for you. As with other drugs, we recommend a 10% reduction.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

From the Tips for tapering off Seroquel thread:

I just unfollowed this topic because when I get notifications by email, with questions that I have answers for, and I then follow the thread back to the forum and can't find the question I was trying to answer, it feels like a big waste of my time. Also, I don't like having my posts moved around and not being able to find them. If I could find them, that would be one thing. But I can't. This has been going on for quite a long time. I just now decided to say something about it. Unfollowed.

Ruby, thanks for being willing to login to answer people's questions. It sounds as if that's been a frustrating experience for you when a question has been moved to the member's introduction thread.  

You can always find your own content by clicking on your using name in the black bar at the top of every page and selecting "My content."

If you'd like to discuss how to handle the other issue -- finding and replying to moved posts with questions from other members -- we could start a discussion in a thread in the "Off topic" forum.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, RubyTuesday?

• ChessieCat changed the title to RubyTuesday: off her meds

I am doing a lot better, thanks for asking. Things are not perfect, but I have been off all meds for 20 months and am finally able to address the underlying life situations that caused me to take psych meds in the first place. It's kind of a time warp, dealing with stress from 20 years ago, but at least I am finally getting connected emotionally and physically.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

RubyTuesday has published her success story 

As is our custom, I will close this topic now. Please continue the conversation with RubyTuesday in her success story topic.

• Altostrata locked this topic