Mona: 1+ year from Paxil CT

mona

Some of you may know me from pp and iawp.  I've never posted on this site but I did put up my history.  It's just overwhelming and I shake so much that typing is difficult and am just exhausted with telling my story but really need advice.

I've been off all ssris  for over 14 months (after 17 years use at 10mg) and am in terrible shape: akathisia, inability to focus, constant shaking, fatigue, terrible insomnia, anhedonia,  but the worst is my digestive system.  My stomach aches all the time and I have no desire to eat.  Have to force myself to eat daily.  I rarely leave the house any more except to take a half hour walk.    

Lost 30 lbs in the first few months but have managed to stabalize my weight at 120 pounds.  My diet is as good as possible considering it is very difficult for me to cook and there are few things I can bare to eat.  I eat little sugar or meat, no caffine, alcohol or processed foods.  Lots of yogurt, cheese nuts fruit rice quinoa veggies whole grain bread.

This has been going on the entire time since I quit and never improves.  Nothing ever improves and I am 63 years old and very afraid.  I have no health insurance and little money for medical tests and little faith in the meds anyway.  I did have a general physical this year including thyroid test and everything looked fine.  

What I need to know is if anyone on this site has had such bad digestive issues and recovered.  I don't know if the akathisia is causing the gut problems or if they are just happening simultaniously.  I don't know where the shaking fits in as it seems to get worse every month.  

Thank you for reading.

1993 began prozac for mild depression
1999 switched to Paxil 10mg 
Mar 1, 2012 quit cold turkey; Monster WD
Mar 15,2012 back on 5mg
Apr 15,2012 Quit again; very sick
May 15,2012 found PP, tried RI; didn't work
June 1, 2012 0 paxil
Currently taking daily:
5mg Ambien for sleep
.5 mg valium (tapering slowly) 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mona,

Welcome and thank you for posting an introduction.  I remember you from iawp, I'm sorry you are still struggling.

I have some of the same symptoms as you - anhedonia, shaking and an inability to focus at times.  I also have some symptoms you didn't mention. 

I had severe digestive issues for about 4 months and lost a lot of weight, then it settled down a bit, but I had no appetite and had to force myself to eat.  Over the course of about 22 months, my digestive symptoms have improved, I have an appetite and can eat in the afternoon and evenings now, not all the time, it comes in waves, I'm going through a bad patch again now.  I get very little pleasure from food now and don't have the energy or enthusiasm a lot of the time to prepare it like I used to.

When it gets bad, especially in the mornings, all I can do is sip on water.  I have put some weight back on now. 

There are other members here who are having similar problems.

Like you, I prefer not leaving my house, especially not during the day.

I know you are having a difficult time typing and writing out your history, but it would be very helpful to members if you could put a few details of your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Instructions here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You might be able to copy and paste the details from your profile page.

Others should be along soon with more support.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Mona, I'm so sorry you are suffering with so many symptoms. I have many of the same ones. It sounds like you have actually made progress to stabilize the weight and you are eating quite healthy so that is great.

I lost 14 pounds when the anxiety kicked in 5 months after withdrawal. I gradually got some appetite back and weight stabilized.  I think it is the trembling and muscle tension that creates the tight stomach and lack of appetite. Of course depression and anehedonia ruin one's appetite. I too must sometimes force myself to eat and I only sometimes feel well enough to prepare food. I bought protein drinks to get extra calories in me. I bought EAS drinks.  Since we are not eating much, a multi vitamin is probably important. Yogurt and cheese help, but I also take a pro-biotic to help maintain or restore gut flora. It should probably be the 10-20 billion strong variety.  I never have constipation or bad diarrhea I guess since what I do eat includes  fruits and vegetables, whole grains.  I also read berries and walnuts help heal brain cells so I try to eat those.

Massaging my stomach area sometimes relaxes the musles and brings me a bit of relief. All-body massages are also a BIG help and relax me include the stomach tension. Deep breathing can help on a small scale or momentarily. I did let myself eat some baddish things - a cookie or icecream since it gave me some pleasure and maybe did stimulate my interest in food again. Maybe that is when I did start to be able to eat more. I can't recall for sure.

Just some suggestions that might help.  I think you are doing what you can.

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

Mona I was on pp many years back....what is iwap?  After pp I went to seroxatmad....lovely site but it was discontinued.

A ct from paxil is very rough.  Have you or your physician considered taking something to get you out of the protracted wd?

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I had written a long post which my husband accidently errased when I wnet to the bathroom (have to pee every half hour).  Will give it another try.

Thank you Petu.  I've followed your story on many sites and know how difficult the past two years have been for you. Thankfully, my family no longer expects much from me, not that I could give it.  I too have many more symptoms than I mentioned but the gut issues are particularly frightening as they have gone on for 16 months unrelenting.  The painful bloating and daily diarrhea are just miserable.  I have to keep my pants unfastening most of the time as anything pressing on my abdomen is uncomfortable.  I have tried every type of probiotic, digestive enzyme, tea etc.  I don't actually expect a cure, I just want reasurance that someone had this type of thing and recovered.  

Janie, thank you for your suggestions. Perhaps if you are right about the trembling causing he stomach issues they will resolve when the akathisia passes, if it ever does.   I haven't tried massage but at this point couldn't stand for anyone else to touch me.  Am just too sensitive.  Do occasionally break down and have a sweet because it is the only thing that is appetizing but usually regret it later.

Nikki, I've tried mds, pdocs, naturopaths, and accupuncture over the past year and a half and really don't think the medical profession can help me.  I had an adverse reaction when I tried to RI on paxil, zoloft and then celexa 14 months ago but suppose if i get to a certain point of desperation I will try a tricylic before i end it.  Just don't know.

1993 began prozac for mild depression
1999 switched to Paxil 10mg 
Mar 1, 2012 quit cold turkey; Monster WD
Mar 15,2012 back on 5mg
Apr 15,2012 Quit again; very sick
May 15,2012 found PP, tried RI; didn't work
June 1, 2012 0 paxil
Currently taking daily:
5mg Ambien for sleep
.5 mg valium (tapering slowly) 

Mona I did take a tricyclic at the end of my Lexapro taper, and it did help.  Is this for everyone?  I don't know.  I just knew I couldn't go on with the anxiety.

Alot of the sites did begin as a result of paxil and effexor.  Was there anyone on pp who was in the same boat as you and what did they do.

Something like 75 - 90% of serotonin is in the intestinal tract.  I suppose that is why there is so much trouble with the digestive tract.

Aloe Vera Gel is soothing on the intestines.  I had a bad stomach during the lexapro taper.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Mona,

I would try not eating dairy foods (yogurt and cheese) and gluten (any bread) for a few weeks and see if you feel a difference. These types of foods are known to cause G.I. distress.

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg
2010-2012 Zoloft 10mg to 1mg (taper)

July 2012 - Drug free!

• 5 years later...
  • Administrator

Hi, Mona, how are you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mona: 1+ year from Paxil CT