Philothea: New to the Forum

Philothea

I'm new to the forum. Have suffered through three clinical depressions over the years. Have been on several different antidepressants since '91. Now trying to come off of Pamelor cold turkey (Maybe a mistake). Shrink is monitoring me closely, but I felt I needed more support. Very happy  to have found this forum and your much needed support.

Thanks for being here!

• Moderator Emeritus

How long have you been off the Pamelor?  How much were you taking?  Cold turkey is the absolute worst way to get off an antidepressant, but I don't know what to advise without more information.  When you have a chance, please add your drug history to your signature:

How To Add Your Drug History To Your Signature

And here is our recommended method of getting off Pamelor (Imipramine/Tofranil):

Tips for Tapering Imipramine

Going cold turkey can cause a number of symptoms, and depression is one of them. If you've always gotten off your antidepressants this way, your depressions may have been the result of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome rather than true clinical depression.

Welcome to the forum, Philothea.  You'll find lots of good information and friendly support here.  Please take some time to browse, especially the 'Tapering' discussions.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hello Philothea,

After being on anti depressants for over 10 years stopping cold turkey is really getting in deep with the sharks.

Unless you want to be heading into a train wreak would recommend a slow taper.

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

• Moderator Emeritus

Please, please don't go cold turkey, I tried it and many here have done it and are paying the price.

I managed to reinstate before things got too bad but lots of people have suffered terribly.

There are a few people who manage to go off cold turkey and are fine but sadly no-one knows which

camp they will be in until they try, and it can be months down the line when withdrawal kicks in and it's

too late to reinstate! 

Slow is the way to go when discontinuing anti depressants safely. You will get lots of help and support here,

we are all in various stages of stopping these drugs so know what you are going through.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks everyone. I cant tell you how much I appreciate your words of support.  Depression is an awfully lonely place to be.  I have started back on Pamelor until I see the Doc about a taper-off schedule using the 10% recommended method for this anti-depressant.  

Cold turkey is a brutal way to go - glad you have reconsidered!  

jan 2010 - admitted to hospital after mental breakdown/ER visit.  released after 3 day mandatory hold.  put on 60mg cymbalta daily for "severe depression".  

mar 2010 - excperiencing adverse affects from 60mg cymbalta daily, racing heart/thoughts, nervousness

apr 2010 - primary phys switched to lorazepam 2mg twice daily.  go through some withdrawal from the cymbalta which is not too bad.

dec 2011 - lorazepam no longer functioning well - rather than increase dose, switched to clonazipam .5mg twice daily.  Put back on cymbalta at 30mg daily which seems not to have the adverse effects that 60mg daily did.

apr 2012 - both meds seem to be losing their effectiveness.  convinced that my primary physician does not really know what he is doing with these medications.

apr 2012-oct 2013 - deal with random bouts of depression/anxiety/panic attacks.  Try therapy a couple times without success.  

oct 1 2013 - attempting to taper down to cymbalta 27mg.

oct 24 2013 - Cymbalta 24mg (hand counted whee)

Nov 24 - Cymbalta 14mg (I am currently going down 3 beads per day).