SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Allergies, sneezing, stuffed up, nose, sinus - antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief

compsports

See also:

antihistamines-for-withdrawal-insomnia-diphenhydramine-doxylamine-hydroxyzine

ADMIN NOTE In general, antihistamines do not bring about dependency or withdrawal. However, if you are taking Zyrtec (cetirizine) every day, rebound itching is possible if you should miss a dose. You may wish to taper it as described below.

Please note that the active metabolite of hydroxyzine, another antidepressant often prescribed as an anxiety drug, is cetirizine -- the same as Zyrtec -- and hydroxyzine may also need to be tapered for the same reason.

On 6/16/2020 at 7:30 AM, ten0275 said:

....I was told it would be a good idea to take some Zyrtec for the allergy season. I was told it was over-the-counter and not subject to dependence, drowsiness, or withdrawal.

Fast forward to last fall and I attempted to go off the Zyrtec after using it for approximately 4 months. I was overwhelmed with feelings of anxiety, insomnia, restless legs, itching, wheezing, nausea, and generally feeling unwell. Ironically, many of the symptoms that I had while tapering from Mirtazapine. My best guess is that my histamine receptors have been compromised by years of Mirtazapine use and the Zyrtec basically aggravated a still healing histamine system. I awakened a beast. (I know, I know, I see you tsk tsk'ing as you shake your head side to side, "you should have known Dave, you should have known" 🙂)

So, two lessons learned here.

1 - After withdrawing from all medications, we are obviously still sensitive and must be absolutely vigilant in terms of what we are putting into our bodies - particularly if the things we are ingesting are going to affect systems that were hindered by our psychotropic drug use and or withdrawal.

2 - The way I was able to save myself from this particular fire was to re-instate the Zyrtec at a much lower dose than what I jumped from - stabilize - and then cut. I didn't have to follow the 10% every 30 days trajectory, I found that 10% every 14 days was sufficient - I held if symptoms seem extra aggravated and felt I needed more time. Fortunately here in the U.S. at least, they make a children's formula of Zyrtec - grape flavor - 1mg = 1ml suspension. I tapered it just as I'd tapered off the Remeron.

So yes, all that to say, I used the tools of tapering I learned on this site to get off the Mirtazapine and reapplied it to tapering the Zyrtec. I have been off Zyrtec for over a month now. I am currently following a low histamine diet as this is a bad time of year for histamine in general. But I was able to extract myself from the depths once again. I do believe I have learned well and properly this time.

I hope this may be useful to someone else who may find themselves in a similar predicament, or perhaps someone will think twice before reaching for the Zyrtec or other allergy medications. They are not without risk.

Hang in there all, these are difficult times for everyone. Be strong.

Dave

ALSO:

On 4/6/2012 at 4:09 AM, Altostrata said:

I use fluticasone (Flonase) nasal spray and Pataday eye drops during allergy season -- spring and fall for me.

UPDATE: Since 2012, I've changed to ketotifen eye drops and azelastine nasal spray -- they are non-steroidal. Steroidal drops and sprays can advance cataracts or glaucoma.

After waking up Sunday morning with my sinuses totally blocked, I made a specific point to put on a breath right nasal strip last night.

For me, it helps to use hydrogen peroxide to wipe my nose as that seems to help with the strip sticking and not falling off.

This morning, I woke up feeling alot better than I did the previous night.

Hopefully, this helps someone.

CS

Edited by ChessieCat
updated, none/added cross reference link

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Talking of sinuses. Since I went into WD, they're almost permanently blocked. I really do not want to blame it all on WD, but the correlation (and causation) seem to be there. Anyone experiencing something similar? By the way, thanks for your advice, Cs!

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

Talking of sinuses. Since I went into WD, they're almost permanently blocked. I really do not want to blame it all on WD, but the correlation (and causation) seem to be there. Anyone experiencing something similar? By the way, thanks for your advice, Cs!

I am sorry to hear that NP.

I can't blame mine on WD since I definitely remember having problems with blocked sinuses prior to ever starting psych meds.

Have you find anything to be helpful?

For me, going gluten free sort of helps.

CS

Im another blocked up sinus person, never had a problem prior to taking Seroxat, i am sure its my sinuses that cause a lot of the feeling spaced out and head pressure too. I have a right ear that feels permanently blocked although doctors say its clear :unsure: , plzzzzz i would like to feel some snot again :P

Im another blocked up sinus person, never had a problem prior to taking Seroxat, i am sure its my sinuses that cause a lot of the feeling spaced out and head pressure too. I have a right ear that feels permanently blocked although doctors say its clear :unsure: , plzzzzz i would like to feel some snot again :P

Oh thanks... I laughed so hard my back went out! Worth it tho... :D

Charter Member 2011

Oh thanks... I laughed so hard my back went out! Worth it tho... :D

ooohhhh im so sowwy :P lol hope your back isn't too bad :(

Am I playing with fire by using an antihistamine nasal spray...my hay fever is driving me bananas. My doctor has prescribed Azelastine HCI. Any experience???

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

Dr David Healy has said that antihistimines work on the same receptors as Paxil. So i believe.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

I wrote to David Healy about the use of antihistamines, as paxil

contains antihistamine properties and i asked wether using them would help with some wd symptoms.

His reply was;- to use an antihistamine effectively puts you back on paxil???

Just tonight i had an email back from David healy about the use of Lamotrigene to assist

wd symptoms, his reply was ;-

There is only one way to know wether it works or not, and that is to try it,

its made of course by GSK, and if it was beneficial it would be in there interst

to make it public knowledge.

My reply,

Thanks David, but i been a guinea pig once for that company, and never again,

as im paying for that mistake every day of my life.

He is by the way doing some research for me on the use of antihistamines by the way,

so i will update when i get a reply.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Am I playing with fire by using an antihistamine nasal spray...my hay fever is driving me bananas. My doctor has prescribed Azelastine HCI. Any experience???

Hi Hopeful........

I agree with the statement that Squirrel made. Personally, I wouldn't touch antihistamines with a ten foot pole.

Histamine is a powerful neurotransmitter that is rarely given adequate respect. Antihistamines are effective in dampening down AD WD effects (providing one does not experience a paraxodical effect which can happen during WD).

The fact that antihistamines can dampen down WD symptoms proves that it targets some the the receptors sites that are in a WD state.

With that said, there are a different types of histamine receptors as well as different types of antihistamine medications which target different histamine receptors. I have papers on this but cannot draw the specific types to mind ATM. Forgive my inability to articulate clearly ATM since, I'm experiencing computer overload and must exit soon but wanted to quickly respond before doing so.

During my C/T xanax WD I experienced severe "rag weed" allery (which I never had a sensitivity to prior to WD) but it did pass (as horrible as it was) and I've never had it since. I refrained from utilzing antihistamines since I knew I would be playing with fire.

BTW, during this recent AD WD experience, I'm experiencing all types of allergy like rebound reactions (histamine rebound due the the powerful effect Doxepin has on histamine receptors). It is improving but I still have a way to go.

With all that said, there is an effective method that many people utilize to combat allergies, whether from seasonal allergies, dust mites etc. It's called a "neti-pot".

The key is to keep the nasal passages regularly cleared out so allergens do not become trapped with the nasal passages etc.. It s the entrapment of the allergen that is more of a problem. Do a search on this to obtain a more complete explanation of what I'm relaying.

It's a non-toxic method that can provide SUBSTANTIAL relief. I believe the Eqyptians developed neti-pots (if memory serves me well). It'a a very old method but one that is highly effective. I recommended this to my sister and she was shocked at how much relief she obtained.

The neti-pot involves using only sterile luke warm water and I think you can add a bit of salt (again please do verify this via research). Neti-pots come in ceramic or plastic. The purpose is to flush out the nasal passages and to keep them as clear as possible.

Actually, Dr. Ozz promoted this on his TV program and I was happy to see that he was recommending effective alternatives. I don't usually watch him program but did hit upon it on one occasion and thus, tuned in when I saw he was recommending this to the viewers.

Okay, I better post this and get off-line. Hope this is of some help.

One thing is certian, this will pass. I hope you obtain relief real soon since I know just how horrible you're feeling right now!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

I haven't used that particular antihistamine. I know it's a second-generation antihistamine.

I've been amassing information about antihistamines for a long time. Someone posted one article on another site recently, but I have a lot more references/information, and have been trying to sort it all out for quite some time. Most of my early life I took very large doses regularly (prescribed for me by doctors) of first generation antihistamines.

Prozac was not the first SSRI. There were two prior to that which were taken off the market due to side effects. They were reportedly derived from antihistamines (first generation antihistamines).

Hopeful, since I believe you've been off SSRIs for quite some time, you may be able to tolerate a little if you're really miserable with allergies. If so, I'd try using a much lower dose than normally advised, and consider increasing dose only after quite a while assessing any possible symptoms beyond the expected side effects.

I haven't tried antihistamines for a long time - stopped taking them in w/d (found they made certain w/d symptoms worse). Can't even remember the last time I took any.

Pun mentioned neti pots which is an excellent idea for respiratory (nasal, sinus) allergies. Much easier to use for most people is a nasal rinse called NeilMed. Be sure to get the original nasal rinse, not the spray. The nasal rinse cleans out the entire sinus, not just the small area above the nostrils.

It seems totally gross at first but you get used to it, and the extent to which it helps can be amazing. When pollen in the air is bothering you, use it once a day every day if you can. (Don't overdo it because it can dry out the mucus membranes. Desirable as that may seem, overuse could increase the problem or set you up for infections.)

It's available at most drug stores in the U.S. (non-prescription), and you can get a "starter pack" to try and then buy a package or more of the packets and keep using the applicator bottle. (Though applicator bottle should be replaced every few months.)

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Thanks for the replies, Squirrel, Angie, Pun and Brandy,

Squirrel and Angie,

I did try Vistaril once or twice in early w/d…I was in such bad shape I didn’t notice anything negative , but I was also so pill phobic I was afraid to keep taking it.

Pun,

Do you remember how long the ragweed allergy lasted when you ct’d from the Xanax? I am familiar with the neti-pot . This has been going on for the last three years getting worse each year.

Brandy,

So glad to see you back. ..I thought that Azelastine HCI was generic for Astelin which I thought was an old first generation…thanks for the clarification. I did take antihistamines as a kid and hated them they made me so sleepy. I never really liked the second generation because they “wired” me.

I guess the consensus is the neti- pot or neil med so I will pick one up and try it out…thanks everyone for the input!

P.S. Maybe if I ran the vacuum a little more it would help too B)

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

Thanks for the replies, Squirrel, Angie, Pun and Brandy,

Pun,

Do you remember how long the ragweed allergy lasted when you ct’d from the Xanax? I am familiar with the neti-pot . This has been going on for the last three years getting worse each year.

Well, where I live .......ragweed season occurs in the late summer and throughout part of the autumn season. I believe I had it for about 3 months before it let up. No doubt WD creates a histamine rebound effect.

Just to add another thought..........there are certain foods that can create histamine within our bodies. Again, I have some research papers on this somewhere. You might wish to google this subject as well since, I believe histamine overload can be created from multiple sources.

I'm not wording this properly right now due to fatigue but you get the drift of what I'm trying to relay

My current WD state has produces all types of sensitivies that I've never had before. They become extreme but in cycles. each sensitivity acting up at different times and not always in unison with the other sensitivies. They are all allergy like symptoms.

Brandy used the correct term re: first generation and second generation antihistamines. I could not, for the life of me recall the terms (lol) at the time I posted.

Also, she made a good point re: not to over-use the neti-pot. I can support what she mentioned since, I've read this as well.

I guess the consensus is the neti- pot or neil med so I will pick one up and try it out…thanks everyone for the input!

P.S. Maybe if I ran the vacuum a little more it would help too B)

Well, you may have multiple allergies going on. I know my sister had amazing results with the net-pot despite having 3 cats. She also bought new pillows.

Like I said, you could be experiencing allergens from multiple sources which are creating a cumulative effect (building over the course of time) and your system is on overload at this point..... manifesting in worse symptoms. If you can utilize the various strategies mentioned in this thread, you may obtain significant relief.

Do let us know what you try of what helped etc. it's good info to have posted so others can draw upon this thread for future reference.

Wishing you the best with all this Hopeful!! May you obtain relief soon!

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

Thanks, Pun I appreciate it!!

My pleasure Hopeful!

Hope, a few more thoughts have come to mind and I hope I'm not being a pain. I just wish to share ALL that comes to mind so you have more to work with and thus, able to decide between the options and/or combine options to obtain relief.

First point, when I had the very severe rag weed allergy, one doctor told me that many times people can have a severe episode and never experience another again. Anyway, something to take into account. Despite things being worse for you ATM, things may not remain this intense.

Secondly, I had a friend who had to get off her allergy medications and she experienced bad rebound reactions and she used "MSM" - Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is an organosulfur compound (natural product) and she stated that it helped her a lot. She tapered off the MSM.

BTW, I'm only relaying second hand information but it may be worth further research. I personally have never used the product and TBH, I've made a personal decision not to ingest most herbal, supplements, medications no matter how much I'm suffering, but that's my personal choice and I do not believe everyone should adopt my position.

With that said, I have and I do consume a couple of vitamins that I believe support my immune and nervous systems.

Vitamin C and zinc support the immune system. Just had another thought to share, based on personal experience. I have been taking Vitamin C and zinc (daily) to keep my immune and nervous system as strong as possible. A few weeks ago I ran out of zinc and couldn't get out to pick up another bottle. Well, my chemical sensitivites/allergic WD responses to a few things became insane.

It was severe and I was trying to figure out WHY NOW? Anyway, I then realized I hadn't been taking zinc for awhile. Long story short, I picked up some zinc, starting taking it and my sensitivities improved within 2 days (signifcantly reduced to more manageable levels).

So, you may wish to try Vitamin C and zinc, providing your system is able to tolerate the two without experiencing any negative reaction.

Thirdly, I viewed your profile but your age is not posted and thus, this next point may not be applicable to you. If you are perimenopausal, you could experience an increase in allergies since, the endocrine system, immune system and CNS all communicate with each other and thus, work together. Consequently, when our endocrine systems are challenged (perimenopausal years) it can affect our immune system in various ways.

This could by why your allergies continue to last and even have become worse at this time.

Many women will develop allergies or sensitivities, anxiety, even panic attacks, for the first time in their lives, during the peri years.

I utilized natural progesterone cream during my C/T xanax WD and it was unbelieveably effective in reducing severe endocrine imbalances. Truthfully, I was highly skeptical about using such a product but gave it a try. I was shocked at how a "low dose" produced major positive effect.

This could be an option to consider since, when we balance out the endocrine system, the immune system can settle down a bit. Anyway, natural progesterone is whole other subject in of itself.

In any case, I would implement ONE strategy at a time. For example, the neti-pot is the most benign option but could be highly effective for you. See how that works out and if you only obtain partial relief then you can add another option.

Anyway, I will post this. I apologize for the numerous posts but I do get flooded with after thoughts many times. (lol) Thought I better post while they are fresh in my mind.

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

I just saw this thread and thought I'd share my experiences.

I blame all of my sinus problems on WD. I've had blocked sinuses, pain in the sinuses, tons of sneezing, stuffed up feeling. Also itchy eyes. Allergy like reactions. These symptoms are definitely WD induced.

Things are alowly improving but despite the improvements I can get hit with hours and/or days of bad flare ups.

Histamine is a neurotransmitter.

Many ADs have antihistamine properties but Paxil and some of the TCA (especially the sedating ones) have a more powerful antihistamine effect.

Consequently, when we WD from such, we experience a histamine rebound effect.

Also, our immune systems are affected by WD and thus, can be compromised in ways that can cause us to become temporarily more suseptible to allergens whether it be from diet, environment etc. which in turn can cause the problems discussed in this thread.

You may wish to do a search to obtain a list of foods that can create/produce histamine effects within the body and thus, experiment in way of eliminating such foods and see if there are any improvement.

If you improve for an extended period of time and would like to reintroduce those foods, do so ONE at a time to see how you react. Give it a couple of weeks and if you're okay then introduce another and so on.

By reintroducing one food at a time you may be able to determine IF one particular food is causing more of a negative effect than the others that have already been introduced. But also keep in mind, the cumulative effect factor.

Dairy products can aggravate throat, nasal passages etc. by thickening mucous membranes (if I remember correctly).

Vitamin C can have antihistamine effects and can help improve the situation or, at the very least keep the immune system stronger. It's also a stress vitamin......good for the CNS.

With that said, Vitamin C has not eliminated my sinus problems but who knows, I may have been every worse had I not taken it on a daily basis. I also take zinc to keep the immune system strong. Zinc and Vit. C work together.

I did run out of zinc for awhile and couldn't get out to pick up more and my allergy reactions to certain chemicals became extreme. Once I got out to pick up another bottle of zinc and reintroduced, this particular sytem settled back down to a more manageable level within a couple of days.

Finally, stress has the ability to compromise immune functioning and thus, it's advisable to manage one's stress levels.

Hope this is of some help.

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

Forgot to mention:

the use of a netipot may bring some relief since, it irrigates (cleanses) the sinuses of allergens which become trapped and thus, cause ongoing problems.

Netipot is a method that utilizes sterile saline solution to rinse the nasal passages. It's a benign method that is very effective for some people.

BTW, Brandy brought forward an important point, in the other thread, regarding this subject. It's important NOT to overuse this method.

You can do some research on this to obtain more information.

Keep in mind, I'm not recommending this for sinus infections. That's a different subject altogether.

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

I think you may be talking about a condition called vasomotor rhinitis. The lining of the nose and sinus is made of erectile tissue just like the penis and some parts of the female genitalia. It can swell or reduce depending on the state of the nervous system and adrenal/neurotransmitter levels.

Histamines also come from dehydration and the fist place the body seeks water is from the skin, sinuses and lungs. It will desiccate these areas to save the brain as it can not tolerate any dehydration.

It is counterintuitive but the sinuses swell as they internally dehydrate.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday, I started the Perfect Health diet (paleo version diet) and seemed to function better.

Unfortunately, near the end of the day, I felt my allergies greatly worsen as my nose felt completely stuffed up and my ears seemed greatly clogged. My hearing was definitely worsening.

As a result, I only slept about 3.5 hours even though this time, I made myself stay awake after dinner so I wouldn't fall asleep prematurely and have it interfere with sleep.

I am so frustrated and have no idea why this would happen. I did cut back greatly on my multivitamin and took about 1/4 of the normal dose as it didn't seem to help that much. I really felt no different during the early part of the day. But could that be the reason? Or could it be I am allergic to butter which I consumed quite a bit of?

The only other milk product I had was some a small amount of raw cheese in the morning. I can't think of anything else I would have eaten that would have caused these severe allergies.

I am so frustrated and feel great despair. It seemed I was doing a great thing diet wise and now I fall apart in another area healthwise.

Comp Sports

Hi Comp Sports,

maybe this is the typical initial worsening of symptoms that often occurs? First it gets worse and then it gets much, much better. Though could of course be that you have problems with dietry products. They are not as healthy as the indutry wants us to believe. Currently I also scrapped those completely from my diet. I use and drink rice milk instead.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Hi Comp Sports,

maybe this is the typical initial worsening of symptoms that often occurs? First it gets worse and then it gets much, much better. Though could of course be that you have problems with dietry products. They are not as healthy as the indutry wants us to believe. Currently I also scrapped those completely from my diet. I use and drink rice milk instead.

Thanks Maybe.

Well, interestingly, I just took a different fish oil capsule and my allergies seem much better. Makes no sense because it is lower quality.

The reason I was eating a little raw milk cheese because supposedly, it helps with dental cavities. By the way, I just took it with the cheap fish oil capsule.

Darn, that fish oil brand was really helping in many other ways. But if that is the culprit, obviously, the costs outweigh the benefits if I can't sleep due to allergies. The one I just took isn't helping on a long term basis but I can't tell the difference with a lack of sleep. So whenever I don't get sleep, I take the cheap fish oil capsules to use them up.

I think generally, I do have problems with milk products. But even when I took alot of them, they didn't cause the problems I had last night where I felt like I could barely breath and hear.

I hope scrapping diary products works for you.

Being a health detective is a royal pain in the a---.

CS

It definitely is a pain in the *** :)

I took line seed oil for around 4 to 5 months when I suddenly could not tolerate it anymore. That's wd...

But besides that, I think it is not too good to take all those supplements all the time. I guess one should be as close to a normal diet as possible. If we have a look at eg. the old greeks, Platon became around 80 years. Without supplements :lol:

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Administrator

cs, it's hard to tell what's going on from just one day. Maybe something came into bloom right outside your window and caused the allergic reaction. I'm having allergies on and off this summer.

I would hold your habits constant and just change one thing at a time, and see what happens for a few days at least. The fish oil capsules might not have been involved at all.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

cs, it's hard to tell what's going on from just one day. Maybe something came into bloom right outside your window and caused the allergic reaction. I'm having allergies on and off this summer.

I would hold your habits constant and just change one thing at a time, and see what happens for a few days at least. The fish oil capsules might not have been involved at all.

Hi Alto,

I apologize for not thanking you for responding.

Unfortunately, the allergies are still there and are causing insomnia. I think you're right about the fish oil capsules. At this point, I really have no clue as to what the problem is.

I am going to try apple cider vinegar to see if that helps since I have some in my condo. I really feel it is an issue of building up the immune system in my body.

If I am wrong, I guess I will have to consult an allergist but obviously, that is the last step I want to take since I don't have health insurance.

Sorry you are also having problems with allergies and I hope they improve.

CS

It definitely is a pain in the *** :)

I took line seed oil for around 4 to 5 months when I suddenly could not tolerate it anymore. That's wd...

But besides that, I think it is not too good to take all those supplements all the time. I guess one should be as close to a normal diet as possible. If we have a look at eg. the old greeks, Platon became around 80 years. Without supplements :lol:

HI Maybe,

Unfortunately, my diet is pretty limited for many reasons so I feel I do need at least a multivitamin and fish oil capsules. I don't think they are the allergy culprits after careful considering everything.

I do agree with you about the old Greeks:)

What the heck is line seed oil?

CS

Hi CS......

just thought I'd share a few thoughts since, like you, I am in WD from Doxepin.

I had no previous allergies however, during tapering and post taper, I have experienced many allergy symptoms. I KNOW they are WD related. Lots of sneezing, stuffed up, sinus pain, itchy and watery and red eyes, not to mention have now developed sensitivity to certain types of chemicals (fumes from railway trains). The fumes get trapped within my nasal cavities. I can also taste the strong fumes/chemicals inside my mouth and the same fumes makes my eyes burn.

I've lived close to the railway lines (which surround the nearby lake) for many years and I have never had such a reaction. This has only occurred since WD. I have every confidence that it will remit at some point.

In regard to sinus allergies etc. I do know that dairy is known to exacerbate such allergies. BTW, I do not consume dairy, thus, this is not the problem in my particular case but thought I'd throw that out there. I also have not ingested any supplements nor vitamins. So, my allergic reactions are strictly WD related IMO.

They are also NOT seasonally related, in my case. I've had these same symptoms and to the same degree in the dead of winter (which is very cold...lots of snow, in the region where I live).

I'm likely not wording things well since, it's a bit past my computer curfew and I must get off-line but wanted to share. You likely know that Doxepin has powerful antihistamine properties and thus, the histamine rebound experienced during WD is very significant for some people.

Oh, the allergies can ease up significantly only to will return with full intensity. All of these symptoms have significantly eased up for me, over the course of time, with the exception of the train fumes. I can't wait for this one to leave since, it really does cause me significant distress.

I really hope you obtain some relief real soon. I know how difficult it is to get a few hours of straight sleep without such interferences.

FYI - I believe linseed oil is another term for "flaxseed oil" which is the vegetarian version of fish oil.

I don't have time ATM to verify this. Please note that my memory could be compromised. (lol) Mr. Maybe can correct me if I'm wrong.

Much More Healing to You CS!

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

Hi Pun,

Thank you so much for responding.

""just thought I'd share a few thoughts since, like you, I am in WD from Doxepin.

I had no previous allergies however, during tapering and post taper, I have experienced many allergy symptoms. I KNOW they are WD related. Lots of sneezing, stuffed up, sinus pain, itchy and watery and red eyes, not to mention have now developed sensitivity to certain types of chemicals (fumes from railway trains). The fumes get trapped within my nasal cavities. I can also taste the strong fumes/chemicals inside my mouth and the same fumes makes my eyes burn.""

I am so sorry to hear that. That sounds awful.

These drugs leave alot of parting "gifts" don't they?

I had allergies before I started meds as my nose has always been stuffed up. Perhaps withdrawal from Doxepin aggravated it?

""I've lived close to the railway lines (which surround the nearby lake) for many years and I have never had such a reaction. This has only occurred since WD. I have every confidence that it will remit at some point.""

Come on now Pun, causation doesn't equal correlation. Of course, I am being facetious as I couldn't resist:)

I am glad you have hope it will remit. As an FYI, I have found sipping small amounts of apple cider vinegar very helpful. Of course, after I consume it, I rinse my mouth very carefully as I don't want to acid to destroy my teeth.

""In regard to sinus allergies etc. I do know that dairy is known to exacerbate such allergies. BTW, I do not consume dairy, thus, this is not the problem in my particular case but thought I'd throw that out there. I also have not ingested any supplements nor vitamins. So, my allergic reactions are strictly WD related IMO.""

Yeah, it seems that way in my case that dairy can worsen allergies. But I have a hard time getting enough calcium so I have compromised my taking a small amount of raw milk cheese in the morning. It hasn't been too bad.

""I'm likely not wording things well since, it's a bit past my computer curfew and I must get off-line but wanted to share. You likely know that Doxepin has powerful antihistamine properties and thus, the histamine rebound experienced during WD is very significant for some people.""

You're wording things very well and what you say makes great sense about Doxepin.

""Oh, the allergies can ease up significantly only to will return with full intensity. All of these symptoms have significantly eased up for me, over the course of time, with the exception of the train fumes. I can't wait for this one to leave since, it really does cause me significant distress. "

As I previously mentioned, that sounds horrible. My heart goes out to you.

"I really hope you obtain some relief real soon. I know how difficult it is to get a few hours of straight sleep without such interferences.""

Thanks, even though it doesn't seem like it with this early post, I got decent sleep two nights in a row.

""FYI - I believe linseed oil is another term for "flaxseed oil" which is the vegetarian version of fish oil.

I don't have time ATM to verify this. Please note that my memory could be compromised. (lol) Mr. Maybe can correct me if I'm wrong. ""

Well Pun if you're wrong, I am coming after you:) Compromised memory is not excuse, sorry:)

"Much More Healing to You CS!"

Thanks, same to you, Pun.

CS

Punar

Hi Pun,

Thank you so much for responding.

My pleasure CS.

I am so sorry to hear that. That sounds awful.

Thank you for the sympathies and for sharing your thoughts as well. It helps to compare notes.

These drugs leave alot of parting "gifts" don't they?

Too many parting gifts (lol)..........gifts we could do without!

I had allergies before I started meds as my nose has always been stuffed up. Perhaps withdrawal from Doxepin aggravated it?

No doubt WD can provoke pre-existing allergies to become temporarily worse and even create new allergies and sensitivities. All will balance out in the end as we recover.

I wrote: ""I've lived close to the railway lines (which surround the nearby lake) for many years and I have never had such a reaction. This has only occurred since WD. I have every confidence that it will remit at some point.""

Your response: Come on now Pun, causation doesn't equal correlation. Of course, I am being facetious as I couldn't resist:)

LOL!! Your facetiousness made me burst into laughter. I like your style CS in more ways than one.

I am glad you have hope it will remit. As an FYI, I have found sipping small amounts of apple cider vinegar very helpful. Of course, after I consume it, I rinse my mouth very carefully as I don't want to acid to destroy my teeth.

Thanks for sharing this CS. That's interesting! I wonder IF it would help with my train fume chemical sensitivity? It's worth a try. I actually have some apple cider vinegar in the cupboard. I'm going to set it out on the counter to remind myself to give it a try.

BTW, Good tip re: rinsing out one's mouth afterwards.

You're wording things very well and what you say makes great sense about Doxepin.

Thanks CS. Constructing a post always feels like a mind-blowing mental exercise for me and many times, my mind gets into circular thinking patterns etc. and when this happens, I can't get myself out of it other than abandoning the task of "thinking" (lol) So, extremely intense and difficult many times, not to mention,it sets off my CNS as well....gets me very wired.

""Oh, the allergies can ease up significantly only to will return with full intensity. All of these symptoms have significantly eased up for me, over the course of time, with the exception of the train fumes. I can't wait for this one to leave since, it really does cause me significant distress. "

As I previously mentioned, that sounds horrible. My heart goes out to you.

Thank you once again CS. Someday we will be free of this suffering.

Thanks, even though it doesn't seem like it with this early post, I got decent sleep two nights in a row.

Fantastic! BTW, I got my FIRST 8 hour night's sleep a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had another since, however, it is a good sign of more to come in the future.

""FYI - I believe linseed oil is another term for "flaxseed oil" which is the vegetarian version of fish oil. I don't have time ATM to verify this. Please note that my memory could be compromised. (lol) Mr. Maybe can correct me if I'm wrong. ""

Well Pun if you're wrong, I am coming after you:) Compromised memory is not excuse, sorry:)

LOL!! While it is not a pleasure to know that you are suffering, it certainly was a pleasure reading your responses. You gave me a few good laughs which truly adds some sparkle into my day, which I sincerely appreciate!

BTW, I'm NOT wrong re: linseed oil (lol). I did quickly google it to verify .........sooooooooo, sorry to inform you Ms. CS, but you will have to go after someone else. (lol) If I may request, please continue to go after the shrinkologists via your letters and posting your thoughts in the various blogs (as you have done so many times).

I admire you for doing so and I plan on engaging in such (hopefully in the near future). I sincerely Thank You for being a voice for me and others, during a time when we can't handle speaking for ourselves. Honestly, you don't know how much I appreciate your efforts, Alto's and Cine's. I'm going have to share my thoughts with them as well since, I am grateful that there are people speaking out for all of us.

I feel so guilty for not being able to do the samebut it really set's off my F&F in a big way. I have written a couple of letters but they did not adequately reflect all that needed to expressed. Not to mention, the endeavour really plummeted me into despair.

I just have to be patient and allow my CNS to recover a bit more so I can fully express what needs to be purged.

An odd time I can have an outburst and spew out my thoughts but most times, I have to suppress them. At present, my CNS still can't handle my own anger towards a lot of things but especially towards psychiatry. So I have to suppress it but only for now. I have every intention of giving a lot of people more than a solid chunk of my mind once my CNS recovers.

Okay, my mind is escalating into the circular and repetitive mode. Time to get off-line .... can't engage in the editing process so will post "as is".

Also time to implement the mantra: "I am one with the Universe" (lol)

"Much More Healing to You CS!"

Thanks, same to you, Pun.

Thanks CS!

BTW, no need to respond CS. I realize how taxing it can be to keep up with things, let alone having to construct a post.

BTW, I hope your mind doesn't blow trying to navigate through this post. (lol). I was at a loss as to how to construct it and I became overwhelmed. The joys of a WD induced cognitive delights.

Many More Restful Nights, with LOOOOONG sleep cycles along with continued recovery to You!

Punar

(Chinese Proverb)

• 1 month later...

my terrible headaches seem to have left me, only had one in 3 months. They seem to have been replaced by nasal problems. I am blowing my nose by the minute every morning, then I feel all bunged up like I have a head cold then hours later it can clear.Anyone relate to this? it cannot be a cold as I have had it for several months now.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

I had something similar, earlier on in my withdrawal. My nose and sinuses felt really bunged up but I didn't have a cold. Got pretty frustrated with it.

I no longer get it. I found that tiger balm helped and also Olbas oil.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

I had something similar, earlier on in my withdrawal. My nose and sinuses felt really bunged up but I didn't have a cold. Got pretty frustrated with it.

I no longer get it. I found that tiger balm helped and also Olbas oil.

Gem,

This looks like this could be a possible solution to my nasal congestion. Thank you so much as the Amazon reviews for Olbas oil have mentioned this.

I hope Squirrel you find relief as I definitely feel your pain.

CS

Great! I hope it helps you Compsports

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

I have this too, its very frustrating. I seem to constantly be sniffling and needing to blow my nose, and my head feels all heavy.

Must try the tiger balm and olbas oil!

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Good luck Phil, hope it helps.

I did find this symptom resolved for me.

I hope it helps you too Phil.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me as I still woke up with very congested sinuses after using the oil before bedtime.

This morning, I think I have spent about two hours reading about non drug remedies until my head was spinning. I think because I have bromelein and quercetin already which supposedly helps, I am going to use that along with X-Clear nasal spray I have until I run out. Then I will evaluate the effectiveness.

It is very frustrating.

CS

Well, after continuing to have serious problems with sleep, I purchased a sinus spray called Sinol that fortunately was available locally out of desperation. It had gotten great reviews online but of course, that is not proof of anything.

I ended up getting the best sleep I have received in weeks. A good sign is my caffeine needs were minimal upon waking up.

CS

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy