SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Allergies, sneezing, stuffed up, nose, sinus - antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief

compsports

You said you are feeling better mood-wise, and that is such a good sign ;)

A good mood is heaven sent after WD....congrats

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I am definitely getting better, but some things are just hanging on for a long time. I think the twitchyness is gone for now, which is great. I really looked like I had Parkinson's starting in my hands for a little bit. Very scary. I have enjoyed having a week off, got to have no alarm clock for a week, and play with my two young kids, which has been good for all of us. I loaded up on vitamin D the natural way - I have a v- neck t-shirt tan! :P

Overall I do feel much improved over last October when in full blown hell, but still have sensitivity to flourescent lights. There is something about them that still makes my head feel wooshy and detached, but it doesn't send me into fear and panic anymore. My sleep is still not quite right on a regular basis, but occasionally I get a night with no wake ups. I took a kid-size dose of pediatric Claritin ( 1/2 adult dose) yesterday and sleep was bad last night, but I am not tired today. Some nights sleep is lousy, but I manage to get enough that I am okay. I skipped the Claritin today and thankfully my head didn't fill back up. I am so sensitive to everything, it kind of amazes me.

Next week it's back to work & school for kids. My flourescent lit cell is what it feels like. I have a big project kicking off, lots of stress coming, I feel better and stronger, but not fully back quite yet. Time off always does me good, I just hope I can get the good feeling to hold on longer once the stress comes back.

• Administrator

Fluorescent lights have a subtle fast flicker that irritates a lot of people. They also have an unnatural blue cast and maybe hum. Sometimes even normal people get headaches from them.

You may be able to replace the strip with a "natural light" fluorescent that has less flicker. Or, if it's right over your cube, ask that it be turned off or removed and put a lamp on your desk with a natural light bulb.

Another tack might be to wear tinted glasses under those lights, to reduce the stimulation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have tried to cut down the amount of light I have to have on, luckily I have an office so I keep only half of the lights on, and open my blinds for more natural light. I also turned down the brightness on my monitor by about half, it was noticeably darker at first, but I think it helps a bit. There is just something about flourescent lit environments that is so noticeable to me, some days I can be feeling pretty good, but a trip to the supermarket or big box store brings back the bad feelings as soon as I walk in the door. Its like an on/off switch to me, very noticeable. When that neutralizes, then I will really know I have healed a lot.

There is just something about flourescent lit environments that is so noticeable to me, some days I can be feeling pretty good, but a trip to the supermarket or big box store brings back the bad feelings as soon as I walk in the door. Its like an on/off switch to me, very noticeable. When that neutralizes, then I will really know I have healed a lot.

Romido I have an issue with lights on in the early morning while it is dark outside. It is an on/off switch which turns to the bad feelings. It is an association for me. When I first had anxiety, I would wake up with anxiety and it was dark outside, and the lights bothered me. I like that you know it will neutralize. That's the way to look at things. :)

I look at it in a negative way...."Oh no this will never end"..."Oh no it's dark out and I have to put lights on and this will make me feel anxious."

Need to change that self talk.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I look at this whole experience as a passing thing, it is just taking a long time to pass! I only took Sam-e for about 3 months, I have been in this withdrawal state for more than six. Some things have already neutralized, like the morning anxiety and daytime panic attacks. Other things are taking longer but I keep hope that they will, eventually. The good windows show us that our old selves are still there. There was a time when I felt like someone put something in my drink or had poisoned me. Now I see more that I am still in this foggy brain underneath this bad feeling.

I have small children too, four and six years old. Being their mom is what keeps me getting up each day throughout this painfully horrific experience. I must be there for them, so I know what you are feeling. Hugs to you too!!

I have noticed that as soon as my anxiety abates and I start sleeping better, I'm also susceptible to getting sick. This happened the month that I was doing really well. I got a sore throat and I took it as a good sign that my cortisol was probably lower!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Are there any safe allergy it decongestant meds? I'm a mess! I have searched the boards, I see zyrtec is not safe v

Everything was ok. And then it wasn't.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

9 days on Zoloft, I was awake for 9 days straight C/T Zoloft

11/2009- trazadone to sleep for 2 weeks c/t Trazadone

12/2009 start 10 mg Lexapro w/ Xanax as needed

5/2010-3 week taper off lexapro

9/2010? back to Lexapro 10 mg after 5 or 6 weeks c/t leapro

12/2010-10mg paxil

5/2011-6 week paxil taper

8/2011 5mg lexapro

last lexapro pill January 7 2012

all this as per doc orders Thanks Doc!

• Moderator Emeritus

Are there any safe allergy it decongestant meds? I'm a mess! I have searched the boards, I see zyrtec is not safe v

Safe in what way.. I can't take anything remotely resembling an antihistamine because they increase my RLS to the point they are intolerable.. unless I dose myself heavily with requip, so anything in this drug class is not safe.

I need to add to my sig.. I'm on .25 to .5 mgs requip @ hs, and probably will always be on prn, but hopefully not dosing nightly after I finish tapering all this crap.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

The only decongestant I know of that doesn't contain a stimulant is Mucinex or Muciniex DM. Anything else sends me up the wall.

I occasionally take an anthistamine tablet when my allergies get uber bad, but just the plain cheap kind with no other ingredients such as decongestants or acetaminophen. I tried Allegra a few months ago and it made me sick to my stomach and sleepy. I used to take the generic, prescription kind which didn't bother me at all, although I'm not so sure that would be the case now.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Oh great. I have awful seasonal allergies and I can't take anything!!!! Oh the aggravation of these ******* drugs. Today is a day I feel like throwing in the towel.

Med History

11/2009- 50 mg Zoloft (1st ad ever) in combo w/.50 xanax for 2 weeks then use xanax as needed (1st benzo ever)

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

• Administrator

I combined the antihistamine topics so everything is in one place.

I have springtime allergies, too.

I use Pataday eyedrops for itchy eyes and fluticasone (Flonase) nasal spray.

I'd avoid taking an antihistamine if you have withdrawal symptoms. They affect the histamine receptors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_receptor , which may be involved in withdrawal syndrome.

Saline rinses (use sterilized water!) can reduce nasal symptoms.

How did you come to the conclusion that histamine receptors are involved in withdrawal syndrome? I'm not a scientist, so I'm having trouble getting from the Wikipedia article to there. I'm aware that some ADs, such as Lexapro, cause sinus congestion, and that just being in withdrawal aggravates whatever medical problems a person may have, but that's about all.

Look at the Wiki page, and the table.

H1 receptor (this is what most antihistamines act on): modulate circadian cycle

See http://www.cnsforum.com/imagebank/item/antidep_receptor_spec/default.aspx (Lundbeck)

The side effects produced by many of the antidepressant drugs arise from their ability to block muscarinic cholinergic receptors, H1 histamine receptors and α1-adrenergic receptors.

Potency of antidepressants to block H1 histamine receptors

97_antidep_histamine_lundbeck.png

The usual suspects fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), and venlafaxine (Effexor) are the worst.

H3 receptor: Neurotransmitter in CNS

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

this is great info . i will not be trying an anthistamine yet i will try flonase fist. Alto- do you have any problems with it?

And thanks for combining topics!!!

Med History

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

• Administrator

No, I don't have any problems with Flonase. I use it sparingly and only when my allergies are bad -- spring and fall.

It can take a couple of days to work, although I know someone who uses it only once in a while and does fine.

I'm really confused. I've read many times that Benadryl (an antihistamine, right?) helps a lot

of people during withdrawal. So I thought other antihistamines might help also. What am I missing

here?

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• Administrator

Benadryl can help with sleep. The newer antihistamines aren't supposed to make you feel sleepy.

So mucinex is ok? What about a decongestant?

Med History

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

Howvabout dramamine or meclizune for dizziness

Med History

12/2010-10mg paxil

8/2011 5mg lexapro

• Administrator

Look them up on drugs.com. If they are antihistamines, they're in the same class.

• 5 months later...

I've read recently articles saying that some classes of antidepressants affect immunity. More specifically I found information that was mentionning celexa. I was on this

drug before and never got what is considered a normal dose because of the side effects, mostly sleepiness. I need to go back on antidepressants for a while because

I have an out of control anxiety and I haven't found any other way to get rid of it (I'm restricted in my physical exercise as well). But I need to make sure the Celexa

wouldn't boost my immune system because it's already too sensitive and I have lots of allergies.. Did anyone read about the topic?

Hi Soledad.

I was recently diagnosed with several autoimmune diseases and am only learning about the effect of SSRIs on the immune system. I don't feel qualified to comment except to say you are very wise to consider this prior to starting any SSRI. My understanding is that once the immune system is triggered into autoimmunity, there is no reversing the attack on the body.

I advise avoiding SS/NRIs unless it is a life-threatening situation.

The article and thread below may offer some info until an administrator checks in with more specific guidance.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2758-ssri-antidepressants-may-also-effect-human-immune-system/page__fromsearch__1

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Its summer time down here in new Zealand and I'm struggling with really bad hay fever. At times feels like the flu. I have had it in the past but not this bad.

Anyway was just interested to hear people's thoughts on taking antihistamines such as Claritin etc.

I had a adverse reaction 6 months ago and have still not fully recovered. I have seen continual improvement where I have a wave and then stablize with improvement. Since the reaction I haven't takin any other medication as so worried about how my senstive system will respond but this hay fever is really making daily life tough.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

20mg lexapro 07 to 2010 then reduced to 10 mg lexapro and have stayed at this dose.

10mg ambien 07 for 3 months then reduced to 5mg for another 3 months then to 2.5mg then off.

2 pills of lunesta 5 months ago over two nights then the fun began.

No other medication taken.

Hi Alabama,

Can you try another antihistamine to see if it would be better?  Also, are there natural remedies that you could take as an option?  Might want to do a google search.

I really feel for you as I think if I took one, it might helpful too. But like you, I worry about the adverse reactions.

Best of luck.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

Rather than taking an antihistamine, which affects the same family of receptors that antidepressants target, the H or histamine receptors, you may wish to try

• rinsing your nose out with saline (there are injectors from the pharmacy for this; some people like neti pots)
  • using a nasal inhaler such as fluticasone (a steroid not devoid of side effects, use sparingly)  See quote below:

On 3/16/2012 at 10:26 AM, Altostrata said:

UPDATE: Since 2012, I've changed to ketotifen eye drops and azelastine nasal spray -- they are non-steroidal. Steroidal drops and sprays can advance cataracts or glaucoma.

Edited by ChessieCat
updated info

Rather than taking an antihistamine, which affects the same family of receptors that antidepressants target

Ooops, I wish I had known this when my eye swelled up a month ago. Probably what set off this wave which is slowly improving. Or it was starting for some other reason and the hydroxyzine the doc told me to take made it worse. Well, that is a lesson learned......

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 2 months later...

I take an antihistamine/steroid combination nasal spray, dymista, which consists of fluticasone* and azelastine. I occasionally take fexofenadine (allegra).

My allergies are terrible and I had a really bad case of chronic sinusitis for more than 6 months last year. This finally resolved after months of treatment with dymista and fexofenadine.

Just how much of a problem is using antihistamines during withdrawal/recovery for those of us with allergies and sinus problems? I know Dr Healy recommends against it.

* See quote below:

On 3/16/2012 at 10:26 AM, Altostrata said:

UPDATE: Since 2012, I've changed to ketotifen eye drops and azelastine nasal spray -- they are non-steroidal. Steroidal drops and sprays can advance cataracts or glaucoma.

Edited by ChessieCat
updated info

February 2004 - mid 2005 - 50 mg zoloft.

Mid 2005 - lexapro 20mg (3 months) Discontinued SSRIs for a few months - withdrawal.

20mg paxil towards end of 2005 for few weeks - borderline psychosis - lasted until Nay 2006.

Restarted sertraline in early 2006, ending up on 200mg. Down to 100mg in 2009 - stabilised at that dose for a couple of years.

Updosed to 150mg for a few weeks in 2012, before a psychiatrist put me back down to 100mg (no taper!)

Too fast taper off zoloft 100mg between May/June 2012 and September/October. Withdrawal started end of December 2012.

Tried to reinstate zoloft March 2012 50 mg - worsened.

Stemetil 5mg during an acute phase of labyrinthitis/vertigo in early 2011. Haven't taken since mid 2012.

Hi,

Since dealing with sinusitus is horrible, if you found your treatment was not causing problems, I wouldn't worry.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

actually steroids are a very high risk substance for people in withdrawal...if it's possible to avoid the use of steroids I would do what you can...sensitivities can develop over time. 

I in fact developed sensitivities to all antihistamines by the time this was done and didn't have them earlier...

using any potentially psychoactive substance (antihistamines and steroids both) is a risk when in withdrawal. 

using them cautiously and only when absolutely necessary will allow you to monitor whether or not you develop reactions to them.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I don't appear to be having any adverse reactions to either the steroids or the antihistamines. As I don't want chronic sinusitis again, I'll probably just carry on.

February 2004 - mid 2005 - 50 mg zoloft.

Mid 2005 - lexapro 20mg (3 months) Discontinued SSRIs for a few months - withdrawal.

20mg paxil towards end of 2005 for few weeks - borderline psychosis - lasted until Nay 2006.

Restarted sertraline in early 2006, ending up on 200mg. Down to 100mg in 2009 - stabilised at that dose for a couple of years.

Updosed to 150mg for a few weeks in 2012, before a psychiatrist put me back down to 100mg (no taper!)

Too fast taper off zoloft 100mg between May/June 2012 and September/October. Withdrawal started end of December 2012.

Tried to reinstate zoloft March 2012 50 mg - worsened.

Stemetil 5mg during an acute phase of labyrinthitis/vertigo in early 2011. Haven't taken since mid 2012.

• 4 months later...

I actually already know the answer to this one. I read both on this site and the other site that this is a relatively common complaint during withdrawal. A vague pressure feeling upon the nose or near the eyes area(s) of the face. Sometimes it can itch, sometimes it is painful, sometimes it (at least for me), feels like formications (the sensation of crawling or something moving about beneath the skin/tissues). I wanted to post this here, though, to elicit and see if anyone else is having this at the moment, or that they remember having this as a symptom? Mine is so bad that I have a "squishy" sound if I squeeze my nose near the bridge of my nose area. Some phlegm will come out of my nose upon blowing either very hard or after I squeeze to make that squishy sound, but it isn't very much and it isn't really phlegm, at least I don't know if it is or not. I don't think this is a specific sinus problem or issue unrelated to withdrawal, since sometimes it is gone. I don't have this all the time, but it's common and frequent enough that it's really got me wondering if others experience it too. Again, I have read that others have so it must be part of this. I'm sure it is somehow neurological related - some kind of issues with nerves not working fully properly in there can give rise to a hose of bizarre symptoms that once nerves regenerate/heal this issue largely goes away. Or at least I hope it does because at times it can be quite debilitating (I can't think/function very well if it is too intense).

Thanks

Zoloft: 2002 - sometime 2003 CT
Celexa: 2004 - 2007 20 mg
Effexor XR: 2007 - 2009 300 mg!!!
Effexor XR: 2010 - 2011 tapered down to 18.75 mg, hard time with interdose withdrawal
Prozac: 2011 5 mg till October, then got more depressed tried to updose to 10mg for three days and I became suicidal and very ill
tapered to 2 mg then stopped Feb 20, 2012. Restarting Celexa 10mg March 2017 due to rough patch in my life (anxiety and depression).

Link to my intro page here

Also : was addicted to Klonopin 2004 - 2008, tapered in 2008. Still have on hand for panic, but rarely used.

Suspected mold infection living in moldy room 2012.

Supplements I take: Multi, probiotic, wild Alaskan salmon oil, C, D3, methylB12, niacinamide, whey protein isolate

• Moderator Emeritus

Me too Jason, exactly as you describe it!  I had it long before meds though.  It did clear up

and had no problems for years until I started tapering so I do think withdrawal can make it worse. 

Both my girls have the same problem but one of them has never had any psych meds. 

That squelching sound makes anyone who hears it cringe! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Me too Jason, exactly as you describe it!  I had it long before meds though.  It did clear up

and had no problems for years until I started tapering so I do think withdrawal can make it worse. 

Both my girls have the same problem but one of them has never had any psych meds. 

It is bizarre, isn't it?

Before drugs I used to hate if someone pinched my nose because it would sometimes squish and squelch. Not nearly like it does now, though.

Oh, I can't tell you how much blood I lost through my nose during this process, too. I literally thought my brains were bleeding out through my nose. I still sometimes think that may have been what that was. Once I started high dose supplements of a lot of different things a lot of the blood went away. I have read of a lot of strange blood losses by various people during this experience, though. I mean, the dead tissue has to come out somehow and somewhere...

Effexor XR: 2010 - 2011 tapered down to 18.75 mg, hard time with interdose withdrawal
Prozac: 2011 5 mg till October, then got more depressed tried to updose to 10mg for three days and I became suicidal and very ill
tapered to 2 mg then stopped Feb 20, 2012. Restarting Celexa 10mg March 2017 due to rough patch in my life (anxiety and depression).

Also : was addicted to Klonopin 2004 - 2008, tapered in 2008. Still have on hand for panic, but rarely used.

Supplements I take: Multi, probiotic, wild Alaskan salmon oil, C, D3, methylB12, niacinamide, whey protein isolate

• 2 months later...

It is bizarre, isn't it?

Before drugs I used to hate if someone pinched my nose because it would sometimes squish and squelch. Not nearly like it does now, though.

Oh, I can't tell you how much blood I lost through my nose during this process, too. I literally thought my brains were bleeding out through my nose. I still sometimes think that may have been what that was. Once I started high dose supplements of a lot of different things a lot of the blood went away. I have read of a lot of strange blood losses by various people during this experience, though. I mean, the dead tissue has to come out somehow and somewhere...

When my new insurance kicks in from my new job, I am going to request a CT scan of the sinuses. A doctor had recommended this based on my symptoms. I have horrible smelly stuff coming from my nose. Nose feels constantly congested - some days are worse than others. The scariest symptom is sometimes there is blood. I have headaches and fullness feelings with pain and pressure. I worry it could be cancer. These are all warning signs. But it could also be a chronic infection caused by fungus. It can happen. Either way, nice to just get it ruled out by a simple scan, hopefully my insurance could cover a significant portion if not all of the test.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope you get the scan soon Jason, let us know how it goes, your symptoms sound like chronic 

infection but I am only speaking from experience.  I hope they can sort out what is the problem for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I have had exacerbation of sinus symptoms with withdrawal. I have a deviated septum and tend to get sinus irritation and infection in the blocked side. The thing that helps me most is sinus irrigation (using distilled water and noniodized salt). Have you ever tried that? Sometimes if the sinuses are very irritated to begin with or really blocked, it doesn't help, but it's worth a try I think. Just be sure not to use regular chlorinated tap water or iodized salt, the chlorine and iodine can cause irritation and make it painful.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I have had exacerbation of sinus symptoms with withdrawal. I have a deviated septum and tend to get sinus irritation and infection in the blocked side. The thing that helps me most is sinus irrigation (using distilled water and noniodized salt). Have you ever tried that? Sometimes if the sinuses are very irritated to begin with or really blocked, it doesn't help, but it's worth a try I think. Just be sure not to use regular chlorinated tap water or iodized salt, the chlorine and iodine can cause irritation and make it painful.

I love Alkolol and have used it from time to time. Basically same thing as what you've used, only has some other ingredients like essential oils. And yes. Only use distilled water! You could cause a serious, life-threatening infection if you don't.

I'm not really a fan of irrigation. It literally scares me. I hate the feeling of something going up in there. It sometimes drains to the back of throat, too. Real scary stuff. Not a fan.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy