SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Allergies, sneezing, stuffed up, nose, sinus - antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief

compsports

• Moderator Emeritus

Anybody had a constantly stuffy nose in withdrawal and recovered from it?  My nose is constantly stuffy and it is difficult to breathe through my nose.  I know my body VERY well and I know that this is NOT a problem I ever had before meds or before withdrawal.

Success stories please in having this symptom get better?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

Yep. It is due to the 'autonomic nervous system' dysfunction that is withdrawal syndrome. You name me a symptom, I'll do a little research and come back and tell you that there seems to be no other reason for it but wd. Truly. (And yes, the symptoms go away. You got an hour or five? Let me tell you about my symptoms. I've had them all it seems.)

Give me a bit more time to read up on how systems are supposed to work normally in the body (I used to be an rn) and I'll probably be able to come back and tell you in layman's terms why wd is messing with your nose. But I am swamped right now. I used vicks to unstuff mine.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thanks for doing the thread search I should have done, Petu. I am going to quote a post that has the very info I needed, mainly the fact that ADs ARE RELATED TO ANTIHISTAMINES and there is the exact reason (or a major one) why we get the symptoms we do in wd:

I blame all of my sinus problems on WD. I've had blocked sinuses, pain in the sinuses, tons of sneezing, stuffed up feeling. Also itchy eyes. Allergy like reactions. These symptoms are definitely WD induced. Things are alowly improving but despite the improvements I can get hit with hours and/or days of bad flare ups.

Histamine is a neurotransmitter.

Many ADs have antihistamine properties but Paxil and some of the TCA [tricyclic antidepressants] (especially the sedating ones) have a more powerful antihistamine effect.
Consequently, when we WD from such, we experience a histamine rebound effect.

Also, our immune systems are affected by WD and thus, can be compromised in ways that can cause us to become temporarily more suseptible to allergens whether it be from diet, environment etc. which in turn can cause the problems discussed in this thread.

You may wish to do a search to obtain a list of foods that can create/produce histamine effects within the body and thus, experiment in way of eliminating such foods and see if there are any improvement.

If you improve for an extended period of time and would like to reintroduce those foods, do so ONE at a time to see how you react. Give it a couple of weeks and if you're okay then introduce another and so on.

By reintroducing one food at a time you may be able to determine IF one particular food is causing more of a negative effect than the others that have already been introduced. But also keep in mind, the cumulative effect factor.

Dairy products can aggravate throat, nasal passages etc. by thickening mucous membranes (if I remember correctly).

Vitamin C can have antihistamine effects and can help improve the situation or, at the very least keep the immune system stronger. It's also a stress vitamin......good for the CNS.

With that said, Vitamin C has not eliminated my sinus problems but who knows, I may have been every worse had I not taken it on a daily basis. I also take zinc to keep the immune system strong. Zinc and Vit. C work together.

I did run out of zinc for awhile and couldn't get out to pick up more and my allergy reactions to certain chemicals became extreme. Once I got out to pick up another bottle of zinc and reintroduced, this particular sytem settled back down to a more manageable level within a couple of days.

Finally, stress has the ability to compromise immune functioning and thus, it's advisable to manage one's stress levels.

The only thing I would add is that be careful with the vit C, some people complain that they think it interferes with sleep.

I believe that I precipitated extreme withdrawal symptoms by using (as my doctor suggested) Atarax (vistaril, hydroxyzine), A PRESCRIPTION ANTIHISTAMINE sometimes given to control anxiety and help with sleep. He thought the pressure I was having in my head was due to sinus blockage (it was actually wd syndrome starting in earnest) and since I already had some he told me to take it 3 times a day. Withing 2 days I was slammed and lost my ability to sleep. OTC benadryl can do the same thing. We get sensitized by long term AD use because of it's antihistamine-like properties.

There is no pill to take to relieve withdrawal syndrome and its associated symptoms and nearly everything we might want to gobble makes it worse, sadly.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I've been taking Telfast (fexofenadine) for swollen sinuses - a relatively recent w/d symptom - and have been having bad insomnia for the past week.  Although insomnia has been my main w/d issue it had improved markedly over the past 2-3 months and this doesn't feel the same.  Anyhow at some stupid hour of the night I wondered if Telfast might be the culprit.  Did some googling and it seems that insomnia is a reported side effect.

Has anyone else come across this?

Personal history of GAD and 4 melancholic depressive episodes - two treated with Amityptline

Family history of Bipolar Disorder - goes back at least 3 generations

Adult son with autism, ADHD, intellectual disability and Bipolar II

Put on Aropax / Paxil in July 1997 for anther episode.  Decision to stay on it - worst decision of my life.

Began to poop out in late 2008. Switched to Lexapro March 2009.  Made me suicidal.  Tried Cymbalta for 19 days. Horrible w/d.

Found PP and RI'd Aropax at about the same time - August 2009.  Began slow taper in 2010. Crashed in 13-11mg range in mid 2013.  Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct 2013 in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/longing-for-life/id958423649  My book about my unsuccessful journey through IVF

I've been taking Telfast (fexofenadine) for swollen sinuses - a relatively recent w/d symptom - and have been having bad insomnia for the past week.  Although insomnia has been my main w/d issue it had improved markedly over the past 2-3 months and this doesn't feel the same.  Anyhow at some stupid hour of the night I wondered if Telfast might be the culprit.  Did some googling and it seems that insomnia is a reported side effect.

Has anyone else come across this?

Hi Junior,

I experienced this when I was taking this med while in the early stages of withdrawing from psych meds.   Allergist denied it was a side effect which greatly angered me.

This nonsense never ends, does it?

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

"This nonsense never ends"  - Spot on CS (I keep wanting to call you Palm :P)

When you stopped taking it, how long before things improved?  Can you remember?  Don't worry if you can't.  It all starts to blur together after a while

Personal history of GAD and 4 melancholic depressive episodes - two treated with Amityptline

Put on Aropax / Paxil in July 1997 for anther episode.  Decision to stay on it - worst decision of my life.

Began to poop out in late 2008. Switched to Lexapro March 2009.  Made me suicidal.  Tried Cymbalta for 19 days. Horrible w/d.

Found PP and RI'd Aropax at about the same time - August 2009.  Began slow taper in 2010. Crashed in 13-11mg range in mid 2013.  Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct 2013 in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/longing-for-life/id958423649  My book about my unsuccessful journey through IVF

Hi Junior,

You can call me whatever you want as long as it is nice:)

I vaguely remember reducing the dose per the doctor's instruction which improved the insomnia but wasn't enough to do any good.   I think I quit taking it but never substituted another med.

Any way your NP can suggest a non med alternative that wouldn't cause insomnia?

Thanks for your kind words.

My NP has me on a herbal thing that helps but it takes time.  Guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it :ph34r:

Thanks for your kind words.

My NP has me on a herbal thing that helps but it takes time.  Guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it :ph34r:

Sorry to hear that.   Sucking it up does get old but I guess when you don't have a choice, that is what you have to do.

CS

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I know this is a little bit gross but im just wondering, i'm pretty sure i started to get this constant post nasal drip (feeling of trickling mucus in the back of my throat, having to clear my throat a lot, spitting, etc) at some point after coming off these meds over 2 years ago. I dont remember really having it before. It has gotten worse over time and its so annoying and gross and  i often get a bad taste in my mouth along with bad breath. It's really embarrassing actually and it drives me nuts when its really bad. I could just sit all day trying to clear my throat but no matter what it never goes away. Sorry if this was TMI. 

Could this be a symptom of withdrawal? Could it go away on its own? 

there are others on the internet who have the same problem for years, sometimes decades and most people find diets and figuring out any allergies they have can help. But if this is mostly caused by withdrawal, then i dont know. I just really hope it'll eventually go away. 

2010 - citalopram 10mg 
2011 - 20-40mg, 1 month taper, PSSD & Anhedonia - Elavil 10mg during taper.
Clonazepam when needed after a month of daily use. 
2012 - Off Elavil - Zoloft (sertraline) 25mg - 50 mgs for 6 months + Buspar for a while. Pssd & anhedonia improved on zoloft, now has gotten a lot worse since a year off. 

Off all drugs since October 2012.

• Moderator Emeritus

Several similar topics merged

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...

Does anybody here have experience with antihistamines? I take 2.5 mg atarax now and then to help with nausea and anxiety, but the day after I've taken it I feel more "dead" (emotionless) and unmotivated than usually. Atarax also makes me tired and a bit depressed. Can anyone relate to this?

Thanks in advance! /SG.

Adverse reaction to Prozac Christmas 2011. In withdrawal for a year but didn't knew what was wrong with me, therefore made the same horrible mistake again on Christmas 2012 - adverse reaction to Prozac again. Been in withdrawal since. Physical symptoms (bad headaches, nausea, tinnitus, dizziness, strange sensations in my body, rashes, etc), has improved a lot, but mentally I'm in a constants fog and I have no motivation for life and everything life has to offer. Numb emotions. Also struggling with a 40 pounds weight gain.

Hiya,

This indeed makes sense.  Some antidepressants are serotonergic, which means they are thought to (by direct or indirect means) increase serotonin production in a similar way to antidepressants - I believe the first wave of antidepressants were based on antihistamines.  I find that in the wake of antidepressant withdrawal, I can be extremely agitated in a biochemical way when I take anything that acts on the neurotransmitters involved in the action of the drug.  This has included St. John's Wort in the past.

I have found that some antihistamines that act more on the central nervous system cause less side effects, but there is still a distinct effect.  I know how frustrating this can be - and often it's a matter of weighing up the situation - will the irritation from the allergy cause more agitation to my frazzled nervous system than the antihistamine I could use to treat the allergy?  Ultimately it's best to avoid the peaks and troughs, but we've still gotta live.

Best of luck to you.

I used to use them to sleep, then I would wake up in the middle of the night in panic. So i stopped taking them. If you are experience symptoms like that, STOP it.

trintellix 1 mg and rexulti .5mg

• 2 weeks later...

I have it too!

---

Started in June 2004 - Lexapro 10MG

Off and on from 2004 to 2008 - Lexapro 10MG

October 2008 - Lexapro 10MG

Late April 2012 - Lexapro 5MG

Late August 2012 - Cold Turkey

Hi Chemistry,

I had PND all through my teenage years and into my 20s (I'm 28 now.) I still get it occasionally now. It can be extremely uncomfortable and upsetting. You can't breathe properly. There's a horrible taste in your mouth. It's tough to get to sleep. The nausea can be disturbing. Sometimes I found it tough to even reach the end of a sentence without having to stop and deal with my PND. I always had to sleep next to an open window because otherwise it felt like I would suffocate overnight. I read an article a few years ago that suggested it can actually make people depressed, and that sounds totally plausible to me. 

I eventually realised that dairy was what was causing it for me. I always drank milk every day, in cereal, in my tea, etc, plus cheese and yoghurts, etc. So I cut back massively on the dairy, and that put an end to it for me. I also discovered that bananas cause it for me too. So does being around lots of dust.

I haven't made any connection between medication or withdrawal and PND, personally, but I suppose it could exacerbate it? But you should do a google search for the most common foods that cause an allergic reaction, and then maybe consider cutting back on any of the ones you eat frequently and see if that helps things. As far as I'm aware, you can develop allergies over time, so maybe that has happened to you.

For me, I notice the difference instantly. If I consume dairy or eat a banana, I feel the effects of PND literally within minutes. And when I don't, I'm fine.

Good luck!

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

Thanks for the reply someday. Im really glad to know you found out the cause for you. The people who have had PND for long usually do eventually figure it out which is nice. I will look for these common food allergies and see what i can do. I think dust is a problem for me also.

I dont have dairy but i do eat bananas almost everyday so ill try to cut some of these thing out and see what happens. Id love for this to settle down since it can be so annoying. Thanks again.

2010 - citalopram 10mg 
2011 - 20-40mg, 1 month taper, PSSD & Anhedonia - Elavil 10mg during taper.
Clonazepam when needed after a month of daily use. 
2012 - Off Elavil - Zoloft (sertraline) 25mg - 50 mgs for 6 months + Buspar for a while. Pssd & anhedonia improved on zoloft, now has gotten a lot worse since a year off. 

Off all drugs since October 2012.

Hi Chemistry,

I also realized that continuous PND started during my Paxil withdrawal.  It is slowly getting better in that it only comes in waves now instead of being constant.  I am almost to week five of being Paxil free.

Started antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds in 1990 after complete mental breakdown; don't remember exactly what.

Most recent med combo was Paxil, Wellbutrin and Buspar started sometime between 1995 and 2000. 

Continued on these meds with the addition of Klonapin in 2004.  Maxed out all doses except Klonapin.

Due to Paxil poop-out, started a slow taper in November 2014. 

Paxil free since March 22, 2015.  Major withdrawal symptoms with a large spike at 4 weeks Paxil free. 

Started taper of Wellbutrin 2 days ago.  Severe anxiety.

Current dosages:  Wellbutrin SR 300 mg (down from 400 mg,) Buspar 60 mg/day and Klonapin .12-.5 mg/night

Also currently taking Lotrel for high blood pressure related to kidney disease, Synthroid .075 mg and Aspirin 82 mg

• 2 months later...

Wow, going through this now . I think this may be what some refer to as"cement head". It feels like a golfball is between my eyes and just constant pressure and makes me feel weird. No pain at all though. Anyone else describe it like that??

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

• 3 months later...

Please ive been suffering with severe allergy symptoms - Ears blocked, itchy, sneezing runny nose, eyes itch, face feels puffy, sinus areas are tender to touch. Worst is the ears i need to unpop then 100000 a day i need relief.

Is cetirizine hydrochloride safe to take or does anyone know if it causes problems?

Wiki says that it barely has an effect on the CNS

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

in french :zyrtec, i took it for sinusitis one month, no results...it was when i was young and before paxil

in your case i would try Phytotherapy, after brain meds, we are too sensitive to chemical meds

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Thanks Stan. I will try quercitin with zinc and vitamin c (effervescent tablets i have)

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

and not big doses, because big doses of good things become poison for body, give body a little, if he need, he will take it, if he is not able to take it, making a deluge of the substance will only force the body to put this outdoor, and this takes energy

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Yes i only take about a 1/4 tablet. Ita not working though and im really suffering badly :(

• 1 month later...

Ears still blocked and buzzing from allergies. Why is this taking so long i am worried it will never go away :'(

Do not try Allegra! I tried it a few hours ago and it feels like i an dying. I only tried 60mg my feet are tingling, throat is sore, i feel dizzy and nauseous, ears buzzing and extremely anxious if brought on a panic attack i am not able to sleep

I didn't have any side effects with Allegra. I think these drugs will affect everyone differently. I only took 1 60mg dose though (I volunteer with cats on Sundays and need to take an allergy pill before I go there)

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

2009 - Started Effexor XR 75mg. Consistent therapy starting Oct 2013

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, 

i am on another forum (patient.info) where several threads have come up on tapering Remeron (mirtazapine).  People of course are always tapering too quickly and running into WD insomnia, and Phenergan is brought up a lot as something to try.  I was surprised that I found so little regarding this drug when I did a search here. 

I know, generally speaking, that taking other drugs is not recommended when in withdrawal.  I am just wondering if those who have experience with this drug could offer up their experiences, good, bad, or ugly.  It seems to act as an antihistamine so is touted as replacing the histamine block of mirtazapine.

I am doing the 10% taper and have taken Benedryl occasionally without ill effects.  Is it a matter of individuality or taper vs already in protracted withdrawal as to whether any of these drugs would cause problems?

Thanks in advance!  I hope everyone is having a restful weekend!

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

Phenergan (Promethazine)  is an antihistamine which can cause dependency issues of its own and not a drug we recommend to take to relieve antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

It works on some of the same receptors as antidepressants, the same receptors which need to recover from the changes caused by antidepressants. Dr. David Healy has suggested that taking antihistamines regularly while trying to recover from antidepressants is basically like going back onto an antidepressant, see:  Antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief - Symptoms ...

and  Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for withdrawal insomnia ...

Another problem with using antihistamines if your nervous system is sensitized by withdrawal, is that the drug can have a paradoxical effect and cause worse symptoms. I know of one member at least who had her recovery set back by taking Hydroxyzine, another antihistamine.

Also see:  Atarax (Hydroxyzine) for Anxiety? - Surviving Antidepressants

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

rhinocort is my currant answer to this... tho it has side effects

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Is Rhinocort a steroid spray?  I was stuffed up solid both times I was on Cipralex.  Now the same thing has happened.  Once I tapered I am no longer stuffed up 24/7, it comes and goes.  It seems to correlate with what I eat but is never consistent.  Sometimes it's dairy, alcohol, tea, chicken, gluten.  It's like my sinuses get inflamed and I can't taste a thing and sound really nasal.  I have literally tried everything.  Nasal irrigation, mulitple supplements, nasacort, sudafed sinus advance.  I think it took a good 4-5 months to clear up the last time.  Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as I am so sick of not being able to taste food and don't want to eliminate all of the culprits from my diet.  The sudafed does work sometimes, however I don't want to become dependent on it.  Thanks!

2014 - 20mg Paxil for one month and switched to 10mg Cipralex for 5 months and weaned off. 

2015 - 10mg Escitalopram for 4 months and weaned off.

Ativan when needed during both bouts and valium the second time when ativan just didn't cut it

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Bumping for new member. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hello everyone,

I have been an allergy sufferer since my teens, but while on meds and during my previous attempts at withdrawal and the current one, I started being plagued by sinus infections - I have had near constant sinus infections and a three month ear infection in the last year alone. I don't know if they are WD and med related, but I suspect that if at least my stress due to WD was lesser, I might have less issues. I might still have some problems (allergies run in my family), but maybe not so many.

I am taking antibiotics for my current sinus infection, and a couple of days ago I also took some Advil sinus (decongestant and benadryl) and Claritin (antihistamine), which I had quit taking altogether about 4 months ago (?), having read of the correlation to ADs (and being now wary of any pills). Well around the same time I also had a resurgence in the intensity of my symptoms and tension... it almost seems that my sinus issues are worsened by meds/AD, and in turn the meds/AD symptoms are worsened by the antihistamines and pseudoephedrine decongestant. Does this make sense?

About 20 year history on and off SSRIs, beginning with Prozac 20mg (?)

then Lexapro (from which I unwittingly did a traumatic and disastrous cold turkey)

then last 14 years on Paxil 20mg, then 10mg, with unsuccessful attempts at cessation

Finally successfully tapered from 20mg to 0 over the last year. Last dose was on 12/11/2015.

I was also prescribed Clonazepam concomitantly for anxiety, to take as needed. I took about 0.125mg to 0.5mg, 0 to twice weekly (?). Stopped taking altogether beginning April 2016.

Overall my recollection of this timeline is scattered - lots of life and doctor changes, moves, poor record keeping on my part, and my memory has not been the best lately, but I am noticing improvements.

Also took antihistamines and decongestants for years for chronic allergies, all of which I also stopped Dec 2015.

Currently taking fish oil, pro-biotics, Vit. D for deficiency, and Magnesium (but only occasionally).

End of April 2016 started taking Trader Joe's "Calming Sleep Formula" which seemed to help; it is L-Theanine 200mg, 5-HTP 30mg, and Melatonin 3mg - but I read 5-HTP affects serotonin, so I am going to stop that also, and try only Melatonin instead.

Is Rhinocort a steroid spray?  I was stuffed up solid both times I was on Cipralex.  Now the same thing has happened.  Once I tapered I am no longer stuffed up 24/7, it comes and goes.  It seems to correlate with what I eat but is never consistent.  Sometimes it's dairy, alcohol, tea, chicken, gluten.  It's like my sinuses get inflamed and I can't taste a thing and sound really nasal.  I have literally tried everything.  Nasal irrigation, mulitple supplements, nasacort, sudafed sinus advance.  I think it took a good 4-5 months to clear up the last time.  Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as I am so sick of not being able to taste food and don't want to eliminate all of the culprits from my diet.  The sudafed does work sometimes, however I don't want to become dependent on it.  Thanks!

yes and it has side effects but sometimes I need it other times I can get away with steaming my head over a pot with some apple cider vinegar... a hint I got from another apparently it has to be Braggs brand... and or eating some coconut oil.. cold pressed virgin I think both these things help I still don't have it beat and I too now seem to have bad allergic reactions which is new to me... 

sudafed is a bad idea in my book look up the ingredients... I can't recall them but all Ads were made from an antihistamine that was the base drug so I stay away from them I am just chicken 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, wanted to find out if anyone has had help during withdrawal using antihistamines?  Thanks & regards

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

In 2004 - abruptly stopped carbamezapine after falling pregnant.  

In 2009 - changed from Fluoexitine to Citalopram 20mg.

In 2014 - tappered off clanozepam.

In Aug 2015 - cold turkey off Citalopram :o

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

I never used them.

How would they help?

CS

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy