Allergies, sneezing, stuffed up, nose, sinus - antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief

compsports

Hi MaryDavid,

I am on a regimen of Allegra now. I had been sneezing like crazy, sinus issues and not sure if allergies (I am not outside much, sooo??) 

Anyhow, I used to take Allegra, so I started it again. I also have the real Sudafed.

The past few days have been bad - headaches and all - so the Allegra, with the decongestant and Ibuprofen have helped greatly.'

I can't say that the issues i am treating now are related to the tapering etc - but this is my story about antihistamines. :)

I rarely take Benadryl, as it makes me sleepy - I have it though - as i get food allergies.

Hope this helps?

Getting off Amitriptyline 25 mg, on 12.5 mg now. 50 mg to 25 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg, currently 30 mg/day for 15 days. Decided to cut open remaining 60 mg capsules and take the little tablets inside. 6 = 30 mg. If need be, I can up the dosage, but aside from a bit of toe pain I am ok.UPDATE: >>>>> Amitriptyline 25 mg 1992- ??? ----- 50 mg until March 21, 2016. 2016 - then 25 mg <<<<<went to 20 mg of Amitriptyline, and down 5 tiny tabs of Cymbalta. (less than 30 mg now. cut Klonopin to 1/4 mg now. Trazadone 50 mg 4/14/16Variety of ADs, Buspar, Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin (to quit smoking. Success!) Cymbalta, Klonopin from '95 to present.Norco (Vicodin or Hydrocodone) '92 to 2014 - cold turkey - minor issuesHad 1 day with withdrawal symptoms - dealing mostly with Side Effects. April 7, 2016: now taking Ami 12.5 and Cymbalta 30 mg. (in bead form) still 1/2 mg Klonopin. Melatonin 10 mg (have been for years). 1 Trazadone 50 mg for sleep. Amino Acids, Omega 3,6 and 9 w/DHA. Turmeric and Ibuprofen for pain,Tramadol, 50 mg, as needed (PRN) - take maybe 1 per day for Fibro pain. Had one day of very swollen calves and ankles, one day of lumps on calves, all better. Today the toes, lasted 2 hrs, now gone. Important to note I am getting off these drugs BECAUSE of multiple side effects. BM much better, I have an appetite and crave healthy foods again. More energy, but not nervous. Sleeping great, much easier to rise, ok with 7 hrs/sleep, used to need 9 or 10.No burning toes 2nd day. Doing well so far. 4/14/16. legs, ankles still an issue, but less so. <p>
4/21/16.>>>> went to 4 tablets Cymbalta and 15 mg Ami and cut Klonpin to 1/8.
UPDATE: 5/5/16 - 15 mg Amitriptyline, 3 tablet Cymbalta (there are 12 in a 60 mg capsule,) very little Klonopin, 50 mg Trazadone, 10 mg Melatonin, Inositol and Ashwagandha. Tramadol PRN.
---- feeling great - no addl. symptoms , only 3 times something like you all list here. leg/ankle swelling still an issue, but not so much-----

6/5/2016 - All done, except for Trazadone. 50mg/nt is all. It is next, in a couple of months. No more Tramadol either - that was unintentionally, but hey, I am not complaining. I am using Kratom once or twice daily.

6/13/2016 - 25 mg of trazadone. 
Doctor is happy for me how well this is all going. :) Almost done with it all!!

Thanks Ingridphoenix for your response.

Compsports, i was asking about it, because it does help me with sleep as it can make you drowsy.

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

In 2004 - abruptly stopped carbamezapine after falling pregnant.  

In 2009 - changed from Fluoexitine to Citalopram 20mg.

In 2014 - tappered off clanozepam.

In Aug 2015 - cold turkey off Citalopram :o

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Ingridphoenix for your response.

Compsports, i was asking about it, because it does help me with sleep as it can make you drowsy.

Hi, MaryDavid.

Here's a thread you may find useful:

Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for withdrawal insomnia

Some people find antihistamines like Benadryl can turn paradixocal and make sleep more difficult in the long run. And some people have issues with dependency.

Here are a couple threads on non-drug alternatives for sleep:

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

I've been afraid to try antihistamines because they were the precursor to the SSRI. If you do try it, only use a very small dose in case there's a problem. 

The insomnia is one of the worst symptoms because it makes everything else worse. I hope you find something to help. 

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has been affected by the Springtime rising pollen count, especially tree pollen?

The UK has a very high pollen count right now, especially the south where I am.  Have had a really sore throat and have been a bit wheezy for the last 2 weeks which co-incides with the rising tree pollen count.

Haven't taken any antihistamine yet because of the whole WD thing.

Any thoughts?

Thx

JC x

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

Try this thread:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1829-sinus-congestion-sneezing-and-runny-nose/

And also:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/505-antihistamines-and-what-to-use-for-allergy-relief/

*topics merged

It sounds like people do have issues similar to yours.

Edited by Petunia
updated

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you Karen x

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 2 months later...

I combined the antihistamine topics so everything is in one place.

I have springtime allergies, too.

I use Pataday eyedrops for itchy eyes and fluticasone (Flonase) nasal spray.

I'd avoid taking an antihistamine if you have withdrawal symptoms. They affect the histamine receptors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_receptor , which may be involved in withdrawal syndrome.

Saline rinses (use sterilized water!) can reduce nasal symptoms.

How did you come to the conclusion that histamine receptors are involved in withdrawal syndrome? I'm not a scientist, so I'm having trouble getting from the Wikipedia article to there. I'm aware that some ADs, such as Lexapro, cause sinus congestion, and that just being in withdrawal aggravates whatever medical problems a person may have, but that's about all.

Look at the Wiki page, and the table.

H1 receptor (this is what most antihistamines act on): modulate circadian cycle

See http://www.cnsforum.com/imagebank/item/antidep_receptor_spec/default.aspx (Lundbeck)

The side effects produced by many of the antidepressant drugs arise from their ability to block muscarinic cholinergic receptors, H1 histamine receptors and α1-adrenergic receptors.

Potency of antidepressants to block H1 histamine receptors

attachicon.gif97_antidep_histamine_lundbeck.png

The usual suspects fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), and venlafaxine (Effexor) are the worst.

H3 receptor: Neurotransmitter in CNS

So am I reading this correctly…

Venlafaxine acts as an antihistamine? 

Therefore, my sudden resurgence of very bad allergies this year, much worse than previous years is due to the decreased venlafaxine…

And the fact that AD DS makes underlying conditions worse?

OK -- I'll be more diligent about using  my neti pot. 

I'm on the eye drops -- Pazeo, (Same as patapay) and they are helping a little bit. 

I'll    talk to me PCP about flonase.

I tried Claritin, but it knocks me out cold a few hours after I take it and then only works for about 12 hours (with 1x day dosing)

Perhaps I'll adjust taking that to evening until I can figure something else out. 

Darn this whole thing is so complicated!

2002 to 2016 Venlafaxine ER 225mg.  2013 TMS treatments triggered nerve pain in face, arm, back.  2016 TMS round ending Feb 1 Central Nerve Pain and and sub-acute serotonin toxicity compounded by Imitrex.  April-June tapered over 3 months from 225 to 0. Reinstated 6/20/16 21.5 nonER 2x day. 7/7/16-37.5mg; 7/17/16-36.6; 7/22/16-33.75; 8/22/16 32.6mg, 9/11/16-28.9mg, 9/25/16-25mg, 12/3/16-19.4mg, 12/18/16-18.5 holding.  OTHER DAILY PHARMACEUTICALS:   *Oxcarbazepine 150 mg 2x/day since mid 2015, *Naproxen 220mg 3x/day as an antidepressant and for pain since 2012, *Levothyrozine 75mcg since 2008 (hypothyroid), *Levothyronine 5 mpg 2x/day since 2012 (hypothyroid) *montelukast SOD 10 mg for asthma since 2014, Advair 250/50 2x daily, [DX 11/16 Felodopine 5mg since 2006,DX combivent 8/1/16] *MEDICAL MARIJUANA for neuropathic pain:CBD oil 25 mg 3-4 x day, THC tincture a few drops: 1/4 tsp 0-3x/day, vaporize CBD for breakthrough pain, CBD concentrate for severe pain.  PRN MEDS *Valium 5 mg PRN up to 4/day for muscle spasms, usually 1-2 x/ day. *Low dose Ketamine nasal spray for severe pain, and also finding 1 dose calms bad WD quickly. HERBAL TINCTURES: burdock, lobelia, turmeric, white willow. CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS:  *Methylated B vitamins, *Vitamin D 5000 iu, Alpha Lipoid Acid, Neti pot. [DX 6/13/16 promethazine suppository + 2 OTC Benadryl for severe pain N Acetyl Cytine for asthma1992-2002, over 20 different psych meds. 2012-2016 Eliminated 7 meds 1 at a time DX Plaquenil DX Spironolactone DX Lunesta, DX Ativan,  + others

I have had really awful hay fever this season both in the UK and Portugal (vacation).

Stuck to Citerizine Hydrochloride rather than switching to the Fexofenadine the doc gave me, as it would have been tricky when I was on the GERD meds.

It seems to have eased thank goodness the last couple of days.

Major Life Events: 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to those with bad eczema.

I have started applying AVEENO cream on my face, arm and neck, which seems to have considerably reduced the itch and dryness.  Hydrocortisone wasn't working, nor was anything else.

Major Life Events: 

Butterbur extract works great for seasonal allergies and pet allergies!

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone hear take allergy medicine?

If I take it I get depressed and anxious in the extreme.

I just tried one Benadryl for the first time in years.  I could always take it before as needed.

I have moderate fall allergies due to ragweed and a little trouble with tree pollen in the spring.

Anyone know any good solutions?

Thanks.

1993 prescribed Anafranil and something else I can't remember for very major severe debilitating depression that his BEFORE any meds of any kind.1993 prescribed 2 mg x 4 daily Ativan for nerves and anxiety as recommended by family and doctor. Didn't always use it.2002? prescribed Zoloft. 2009 prescribed Paxil. Switched to Paxil by first doctor trying to help raging IBS D that had hit.2012 prescribed Pexeva and IBS dissappeared.2013 government mandated use of Paxil for everyone, went back on it. (Unless you have $1,000.00 per month laying around) IBS RETURNED.June 2015 2nd doctor cut 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Paxil to try to stop new level of deadly IBS that made me unable to eat.October 2015 began accidentally missing several Paxil doses per month.June 2016 reduced

Paxil to 15mg officially to begin to try to taper.

March 2017 Paxil tapered to 10 mg daily. Having trouble going further.

1993 Prescribed 2 mg X 4 per day Ativan as per family and doctor for anxiety and nerves. Quit/tapered Ativan years at a time until divorce 2012.

2017 tapered to 4 mg from 8 mg ativan per day.<p>

• Administrator

You might try a non-steroidal nasal spray such as azelastine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Neti pot, or nasal douching with warm water and sea salt.
Also Alkalol. is a an OTC mentholated nasal wash.
Nasal steamer -- for when you are too blocked up for nasal rinsing. 

2002 to 2016 Venlafaxine ER 225mg.  2013 TMS treatments triggered nerve pain in face, arm, back.  2016 TMS round ending Feb 1 Central Nerve Pain and and sub-acute serotonin toxicity compounded by Imitrex.  April-June tapered over 3 months from 225 to 0. Reinstated 6/20/16 21.5 nonER 2x day. 7/7/16-37.5mg; 7/17/16-36.6; 7/22/16-33.75; 8/22/16 32.6mg, 9/11/16-28.9mg, 9/25/16-25mg, 12/3/16-19.4mg, 12/18/16-18.5 holding.  OTHER DAILY PHARMACEUTICALS:   *Oxcarbazepine 150 mg 2x/day since mid 2015, *Naproxen 220mg 3x/day as an antidepressant and for pain since 2012, *Levothyrozine 75mcg since 2008 (hypothyroid), *Levothyronine 5 mpg 2x/day since 2012 (hypothyroid) *montelukast SOD 10 mg for asthma since 2014, Advair 250/50 2x daily, [DX 11/16 Felodopine 5mg since 2006,DX combivent 8/1/16] *MEDICAL MARIJUANA for neuropathic pain:CBD oil 25 mg 3-4 x day, THC tincture a few drops: 1/4 tsp 0-3x/day, vaporize CBD for breakthrough pain, CBD concentrate for severe pain.  PRN MEDS *Valium 5 mg PRN up to 4/day for muscle spasms, usually 1-2 x/ day. *Low dose Ketamine nasal spray for severe pain, and also finding 1 dose calms bad WD quickly. HERBAL TINCTURES: burdock, lobelia, turmeric, white willow. CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS:  *Methylated B vitamins, *Vitamin D 5000 iu, Alpha Lipoid Acid, Neti pot. [DX 6/13/16 promethazine suppository + 2 OTC Benadryl for severe pain N Acetyl Cytine for asthma1992-2002, over 20 different psych meds. 2012-2016 Eliminated 7 meds 1 at a time DX Plaquenil DX Spironolactone DX Lunesta, DX Ativan,  + others

In my early years on AD I could take benadryl and not even notice.  In fact it sometimes took the edge off the anxiety and reduced the need for lorazepam.

But about 2 years ago I took one and I became very, very anxious and even slightly suicidal or something like it.           

That is not normal for me.

But this year I am having allergy trouble.  Ragweed.

Can a neti pot help the fatigue by reducing the onboard allergens?

Thanks

1993 prescribed Anafranil and something else I can't remember for very major severe debilitating depression that his BEFORE any meds of any kind.1993 prescribed 2 mg x 4 daily Ativan for nerves and anxiety as recommended by family and doctor. Didn't always use it.2002? prescribed Zoloft. 2009 prescribed Paxil. Switched to Paxil by first doctor trying to help raging IBS D that had hit.2012 prescribed Pexeva and IBS dissappeared.2013 government mandated use of Paxil for everyone, went back on it. (Unless you have $1,000.00 per month laying around) IBS RETURNED.June 2015 2nd doctor cut 30 mg Paxil to 20 mg Paxil to try to stop new level of deadly IBS that made me unable to eat.October 2015 began accidentally missing several Paxil doses per month.June 2016 reduced

Paxil to 15mg officially to begin to try to taper.

March 2017 Paxil tapered to 10 mg daily. Having trouble going further.

1993 Prescribed 2 mg X 4 per day Ativan as per family and doctor for anxiety and nerves. Quit/tapered Ativan years at a time until divorce 2012.

2017 tapered to 4 mg from 8 mg ativan per day.<p>

I think histamine receptors do play a role in withdrawal. From my own personal experience, when I was starting out in tolerance, poop out on paxil back in 6/2015, I started having anxiety and insomnia. I took doxylamine to sleep like half a pill 12.5 mg each night for like 4 months, it helped enormously with anxiety and sleep but now I look back maybe that messed up my withdrawal healing process.

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

• 5 months later...

Hi all. Currently tapering sertraline from 150mg. On 50mg at present. This is the second time in 3 months that i have gotten a swollen eye which the doctors are saying is an allergy. It looks like ive been bitten by a spider or something. I took an antihistamine the first time but after 3 or 4 days it sent me into bad withdrawal symptoms so dont want to try that again. Judging from previous pages i can see why this occurred. Does anyone have any suggestions for other ideas for what appears to be an eye allergy? Never had this before.

Started Sertraline (Zoloft) September 2009. 50mg then to 100mg within a week. Floated between 150mg and 100mg for the next 6 years. 

February 2016 began tapering from 150mg

2017; 55mg-22mg; 2018; 22mg-19mg. Jan 2018 surgery on my knee and collarbone which seemed to cause a crash 3 weeks later. 12/02/18. Held for 6 months at 19mg. 12/08/18 19mg-18mg; 10/09/18 18mg-17mg; Held for another 7 months

17/04/19 began tapering at 0.5mg per 2 weeks and reached 4.5mg on 19/03/20; CRASHED after a heavy alcohol session in late Feb. Attempted to restart taper August 2020 by dropping to 4.25mg. Updosed back to 4.5mg after 3 days. 2nd attempt to restart 4 weeks later in September 2020 dropping to 4.25mg again this time updosing back to 4.5mg 4 days later. 

Last attempt to taper November 2021. 4.5mg to 4.4mg lasted 15 days then updosed back to 4.5mg due to severe apathy and cognitive issues

Maybe you could try something like " Lacri - Lube " eye ointment. It seems to work for most  eye conditions including allergy.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

OPC 3 has worked for me like a wonder for allergy before meds time, and I have been taking it in the past few months during my fast taper. Check it out at Amazon. It's a pure natural strong antioxiapdant

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 2 weeks later...

I have seasonal allergies. After I crashed last year, unable to use my typical allergy meds. I used neilmed sinus rinse once or twice daily and a eustacie product I found on Amazon and it worked all the way through. When you rinse the sinuses, somehow the saline works into the lacrimal glands in the eyes so the sodium may be helpful.

• 1 month later...

My overall question to members is: do you have a history of taking antihistamines?

I have been reading about antihistamines today. There are people who recommend Benadryl for withdrawal symptoms. My doctor gave me hydroxyzine for withdrawal symptoms. I tried both (no, not at the same time!) and generally did not like how they made me feel. It was kind of like I was slowing down, like I was about to "turn off" like a robot for good. Still, sometimes I will grab a hydroxyzine if things are really bad in the morning and I know I won't be lying down. It takes a couple of hours to give me any sort of relief, bit I do get some. Still, I hate using it.

So today I remembered I had some old chlorpheniramine maleate. I remember it as being rather "mild." But I didn't take any. Instead I jumped on here and searched it. Found out that a Dr. Healy recommends it as part of withdrawal management. But the members here were not too keen on it. Mainly because it is in reality an SRNI.

That made me start to think about my own history... And lo and behold! Allergy medicines were a staple for most of my life! Heck, I almost always had a bottle of chlorpheniramine maleate with me through my teen years and early twenties. I had horrible seasonal allergies.

Now here's the interesting part... I pretty much do not recall having need for my antihistamines once I started using the psych meds! Heck, the bottle I found here at home has been sitting there for years and years.

So, did my early dependence on antihistamines set me up to be a candidate for the meds?

I also examined my behavior during the years I was heavily dependent on antihistamines compared to the way I acted on the meds. And lo and behold, another discovery! My rise in anger and rage during my teen years and twenties was very similar to the anger and rage I felt on the psych meds.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this is correct but may help someone

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/histamine-intolerance/#i19

diagnosed with depression/ anxiety 2005 and started on citalopram can't remember the dose and was on that for about 5 years with not much improvement then doctor switched me to venlafaxine gradually increasing dose to 300mg per day which I was on for about 7 years ,  decided to try coming off them which I did over a four month period ( i now know  this was way to fast) gradually reducing the dose to 12.5mg 1 pill, that was 3 months ago and all was good to start I felt much better than I had for years until now , after reading this forum I have what I believe is delayed onset withdrawal ,  went back to GP he has put me on 50mg of sertraline p/d and 2mg of diazepam 3 times daily I only use this when I have to , I have taken the sertraline for two days then after finding this forum stopped and last night took 25mg of venlafaxine ( not sure if this is the correct amount) starting a reinstating program .

I was taking 5HTP, Rhodiola,1 Tyrosine, L theanine but have stopped after reading the forum, ?

I also take, magnesium 100mg p/d, flaxseed oil 2000mg p/d vit D3 10ug p/d

Glucosamine/ chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, turmeric, apple cider vinegar

Plus I run 5 iu's of HGH p/d for tennis elbow.

As I started to taper Remeron/Mirtazapine and got to the lower doses,  I started to get affected by allerigies.  The medication has antihistamine properties so I was shielded from them over the past few years.

But my allergies got bad one weekend while we were at our house, which is surrounded by trees.  I didn't want to take an antihistamine so I did a some research.  I read that Stinging Nettle helps with allergies, so I tried it.  It worked so well!  I used the liquid tincture from a health food store.  I started with two droppers and took another dropper two hours later and then two hours after that to get it into my system.   Now I use it all the time when I start to get sneezy.   There are various combinations you can buy but I only use the ones that have Stinging Nettle in them only. 

Again, this is my personal experience and it's important to research what works for you. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• 4 months later...

I stopped taking paxil 5 years ago and went through withdrawal hell. I started taking aerus an antihistamine because my allergies were out of control. I finally feel quite well from the paxil withdrawal and would like to wean off the antihistamine. I have multiple chemical sensitivity and have improved with brain retraining. I didn't take the aerus for three days but my sensitivity was terrible. I took an aerus and i was so dizzy etc and I felt like i did in withdrawal. Anyone know how I can slowly go off it without feeling terrible. I just started feeling well from Paxil after 5 years and I am not ready to go through anything like that again anytime soon

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

• 4 months later...

I am experiencing allergy to my new pet dog. I have been taking (for three days) this new antihistimine XYZAL, but now I read it might mess with my taper and symptoms. I read through the info here but there doesn't seem to be one clear answer. I Netipot already, I have a homeopathic remedy called BioAllers Animal Hair and Dander. I have Flonase. I am even getting something to rub on her to supposedly help. 

I am not on any AD, on Antipsychotics taper.

Anyone have any experience of suggestions with this as oppossed to another or no antihistimine?

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg. Taper 2023-2024. Taper complete!

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg. CT (unavailable) 4/2023

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2018- Lamictal 300mg. Holding

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

2014 Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

I have had great success with Stinging Nettle. When I got off Remeron/Mirtazapine I had issues with allergies. They had been surpressed  by the medications antihistamine properties.  I used a liquid tinture that I bought at the health food store and took it throughout the day when I felt allergy symptoms. 

These allergies were not related to dogs but more dust, leaves and pollen. 

H

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

• Altostrata changed the title to Withdrawal and pollen and antihistamines
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 6/9/2011 at 1:03 PM, Punarbhava said:

I blame all of my sinus problems on WD. I've had blocked sinuses, pain in the sinuses, tons of sneezing, stuffed up feeling. Also itchy eyes. Allergy like reactions. These symptoms are definitely WD induced.

Things are alowly improving but despite the improvements I can get hit with hours and/or days of bad flare ups.

Histamine is a neurotransmitter.

Many ADs have antihistamine properties but Paxil and some of the TCA (especially the sedating ones) have a more powerful antihistamine effect.

Consequently, when we WD from such, we experience a histamine rebound effect. 

Also, our immune systems are affected by WD and thus, can be compromised in ways that can cause us to become temporarily more suseptible to allergens whether it be from diet, environment etc. which in turn can cause the problems discussed in this thread.

I've been having intermittent sinus and allergy like symptoms on and off since stopping Lexapro in 2010, but since I used to have these issues occasionally before ever starting psyche drugs, I thought it was probably me just going back to 'normal' without the anti-histamine properties of the medication, I didn't have allergy symptoms during the 13 of SSRI use.

But lately, as I'm becoming more active again, this has become much more of a problem. But it's not the same as how it was before withdrawal, previously it was triggered by allergy season, cat dander or dust etc, but at the moment, there's no patterns to when I'm getting attacks. It's not allergy season here and no cats, so I'm thinking this is my histamine system in chaos. I will be fine, then suddenly for no apparent reason, my nose and eyes become irritated, the sneezing starts then my sinuses become congested. I've been like this for about a week now, so thought I would search the site to find how many others have this.  Seems like its fairly common...getting a rebound histamine effect.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm glad this topic re-surfaced.

Since my involvement with ADs, I have suffered from sub-clinical migraine (after CT 2015), sinus issues and headaches accompanied by nausea.

They usually last no more than 2 days, although more recently 3-4 days.

I also have itchy eyes and ears.

Major Life Events: 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else who developed dizzyness and food allergies long time (4 years) after quitting prozac ?

Very grateful to replies!

/trying to survive..

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dizzyness and allergy 4 years after quitting prozac ?

I developed several allergies to some foods and environmental while I was tapering Paxil. Still have the allergies almost 3 years later 

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• Altostrata changed the title to Allergies, sneezing, stuffed up -- Antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief
  • 2 months later...
On 6/5/2018 at 11:33 AM, tryingtosurvive said:

Anyone else who developed dizzyness and food allergies long time (4 years) after quitting prozac ?

/trying to survive..

On 6/5/2018 at 11:33 AM, tryingtosurvive said:

/trying to survive..

Hi I was in the dreaded prozac for 18yrs and developed allergies the last year in and now multiple allergies and can't tolerate drugs or supplements and react to

foods. Very unwell at times and then not so bad other times. Fully of drug 2 years now. Anxiety and stress is horrendously, take care

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2018 at 7:52 PM, Bluebird2009 said:

Hi I was in the dreaded prozac for 18yrs and developed allergies the last year in and now multiple allergies and can't tolerate drugs or supplements and react to

foods. Very unwell at times and then not so bad other times. Fully of drug 2 years now. Anxiety and stress is horrendously, take care

I was on it for 14 years sadly they put me on it as a teenager,,..How old where you when you started?

Do you get any help from taking antihistamines or mast cell stabilizers if you have tried  ?

/trying to survive

I

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

20 hours ago, tryingtosurvive said:

I was on it for 14 years sadly they put me on it as a teenager,,..How old where you when you started?

Do you get any help from taking antihistamines or mast cell stabilizers if you have tried  ?

/trying to survive

I

Hi I went on when I was 25yrs old and came off at 42, I tried antihistamines but had a very bad head reaction which lasted 6weeks so I do t try anymore. But everyone is different some can tolerate. Take care in this awful journey 

Prozac for 18years with break in 1999 for pregnancy. Started to feel unwell with numerous problems 2015 and think I was in a tolerance to drug. Started to come off May 2016 and by June 2016 wasn't able to tolerate any medications at all. Was on Lansoprazole as and when need from 2001 but haven't had to take and wldnt have been able to take since June 2016

GP gave sertraline 25mg 6/04/17 loss of appetite, gut pain and then following morning whole body shaking and vomiting. Stopped tablet.

• 3 months later...

I have a cold and really need to take an antihistamine to dry myself up. Are there any antihistamines I can take that don't interact with Effexor? No doctors seem to be aware of this.. same with cough medicine (dextromethorphan).  Edit: I already use Flonase and it's not doing much, I accidentally took a Claritin last night and was able to sleep without my nose running everywhere.  Then I remembered the interaction.

History: Began suffering from panic attacks when my father passed away in 2005. Been on and off SSRIs (Celexa, Lexapro, Effexor XR), and therapy since then.

2009 - Started Effexor XR 75mg. Consistent therapy starting Oct 2013

Feb 2014 - Therapist and I felt I was ready to come off Effexor - went to half dose (37.5mg) for a week and then off completely by advice of psychiatrist - bad w/d for a week then gone

May 2014 - bad protracted w/d came out of nowhere.. constant dizziness, agoraphobia(never had before), intense headaches, fatigue for 3 months, all tests (brain MRI, inner ear tests, blood tests, etc.) normal. could not drive, grocery shop, or live life.

Aug 2014 - back on Effexor XR 75mg as neurologist thought these symptoms were my anxiety coming back, all w/d symptoms disappear within 2 weeks. I should have went back on at a lower dose, but I hadn't discovered this site yet. I finally did discover this site, and gave myself a year to stabilize.

July 2015 - Started tapering from 75mg. 5% cuts every 3 weeks. From July 2015 - March 2016, reduced to 37.5mg (half dose). In March 2017, down to 18.3mg (quarter dose). April 2020 - down to 0.38mg.

Now: Finally med free as of Oct 31, 2020 after 5.5 years of tapering. Still med and withdrawal free, January 2023. ☀️

Supplements during tapering and now: Meditation, daily exercise, fish oil, clean diet, working from home (more sleep!)

23 minutes ago, primekittycat said:

I have a cold and really need to take an antihistamine to dry myself up. Are there any antihistamines I can take that don't interact with Effexor? No doctors seem to be aware of this.. same with cough medicine (dextromethorphan).  Edit: I already use Flonase and it's not doing much, I accidentally took a Claritin last night and was able to sleep without my nose running everywhere.  Then I remembered the interaction.

When I had seasonal allergies I took Desloratadine which don't contain antihistamines. It was hard for me to distinguish what was causing what but the allergy was revving me up badly, anxiety mainly.

Try to just ride the cold out. Take care.

-2012  January started Olanzapine 5mg, 7mg, 10mg, 25mg (2 months), 10mg (long time),5mg.

-2016 June 15th quit Olanzapine from 5mg to 0mg CT.

Other drugs; Imovane,Theralene, Propavane, Stesodil, which I took when I needed to. Quit them w/o trouble late 2015.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Allergies, sneezing, stuffed up, nose, sinus - antihistamines and what to use for allergy relief
  • 4 months later...

Will the regular use of anti-histamines create drug withdrawal problems like anti-depressants do? Since they are somewhat related in their action, I would think it might be possible. 

Also, that would make the regular use of  ANY anti-histamine a bad thing when you’re already regularly on an anti-depressant, right?

Overall, during the almost 20 years I’ve been on antidepressants, I have not had many problems in the way of allergies. I developed more serious post nasal drip/drainage after moving to Los Angeles from Texas, and in the last year or so I have started sneezing more often, but still not “a lot”. 

I am now wondering if the antidepressant use when I was stable was preventing allergies from showing symptoms in me.

My doctor might want me to start taking  something like OTC Claritin every day to help reduce my allergy symptoms—extra drainage, sneezing— but I will be hesitant to agree knowing that there might be some kind of interaction between the antihistamine and the antidepressant. 

I wouldn’t consider my allergies bad at this point. They are not making me feel horrible, I just mainly have a considerable amount of drainage and a couple/few sneezes every couple days. 

Also currently only on 1/1.5/2 mg Cymbalta-Duloxetine while I try to reinstate. 

I am wondering if adding Vitamin C to my daily regimen of Vitamin D and Cymbalta would help with my immune system and be worth it? 

Or does anybody have any experience taking a multivitamin that was beneficial?

Edited by DavidfromTexas

ANTI-DEPRESSANTS (approximates):

2000--2009/10. Zoloft, mid-high dosage. Alprazolam, as needed, rarely. 

2009/10--2016/17. Cymbalta, 90 mg

Early 2017--Mid-2017. Cymbalta, 60 mg

Mid-2017--Jan 2018. Cymbalta, 30--60 mg, reduced in 30 mg increments w/o physical w/d symptoms, possibly some emotional w/d symptoms. Mar 2018--Early 2019. Back on Cymbalta, fluctuating dosages from 30 to 90mg. Reduced from 60 to 30, then from 30 to 0 again, this time WITH very light physical w/d symptoms. Back to 30mg. Early 2019--April 2019. Cymbalta, 30mg. Down from 30 to 0. Physical w/d symptoms again. Back to 30mg. May 2019. Cymbalta 30 mg. Down to 20 mid-month. Started taking every other day in final week of the month. 

Jun 2019. Cymbalta 10-ish mg. Started “eyeballing” about half of the beads in the capsule. Taking every other day, then at mid-month every 4 days. 

July 2, 2019. Took last dose of “eyeballed” 5-ish mg. July 24, 2019. Took first reinstatement dose of 2mg. Dropped down to 1mg (6 beads) the very next day.

Aug 6, 2019. Up-dose to 1.33 mg. Aug 30, 2019. Up-dose to 1.5 mg. 

SUPPLEMENTS

Vitamin D3 4,000 IU/day

• Moderator Emeritus
45 minutes ago, DavidfromTexas said:

I am wondering if adding Vitamin C to my daily regimen of Vitamin D

There are topics on these.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy