kjwsquared newly pregnant and needing to get off Pristiq

kjwsquared

I recently found out I am pregnant.  I've been on Pristiq 50mg since April of this year.  I was on Effexor XR 150mg for several years prior.  We moved to the Philippines in late March and found out after we moved here that Effexor hasn't been carried in this country for 10 years.  So doctor here put me on Pristiq.  I tried going off this summer and became very discouraged that I couldn't seem to get off.  My dr told me to do every other day and I did this for several weeks before I couldn't take the withdrawal symptoms anymore.  So I went back on.  Now I found out I'm pregnant and I'm wanting to get off ASAP but don't know what to do.  OB doctor obviously knows nothing about antidepressants as she told just to stop taking it.  Psyciatrist who did the prescribing is out of the country on a sabbatical.  I don't have access to Effexor so switching to that and trying to wean off isn't an option. 

Hello kjwsquared;unfortunately, Drs. don`t know anything about how to discontinue AD.

Doing the every other day is almost as bad as going cold turkey.DON`T do it.

I am just another member of this forum, and quite new, but other members will give you more advice.

If you have been on AD for several years, you will have to wean off very gradually.

It is important that you write your drug history (signature) to know better what your situation is.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Administrator

Welcome, kjwsquared.

You're in a difficult position, I sympathize. Here's our topic on tapering Pristiq http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

People do cut up the tablets to taper. It's not optimal, but they do it.

Any chance of getting venlafaxine tablets (generic Effexor) instead?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

med exp since 1985- abilify, latuda, Seroquel, risperadol, zyprexa, Haldol. latuda, saphris, mellaril, thorazine, lithium, tegretol, Depakote, lamictal, Prozac, pamelor, wellbutrin, Ativan, klonipin, etc.

currently only on remeron: 3/13/14-6/5/14- 15mg

6/20/14 -9.5mg < 0.75-1.5 per week

7/12/14-3.75mg

8/11/14- 0.6mg of Remeron (almost off)

8/16/14--last dose of remeron...now completely drug free....

11/21/14-- 95 DAYS DRUG FREE!!!!

I do not give out medical advice only personal experience.

dx: BPI, II, CKD, secondary hyperparathyroidism, Chronic pain, fibro,