Cathead: weaning off cymbalta 30

cathead

Started breaking out into sweats randomly today (not doing anything other than sitting at my desk, and it's not warm!).  Looking it up, sure enough, that's on the withdrawal symptoms.  I may slow down the bead removal if this keeps up through tomorrow.  

jan 2010 - admitted to hospital after mental breakdown/ER visit.  released after 3 day mandatory hold.  put on 60mg cymbalta daily for "severe depression".  

mar 2010 - excperiencing adverse affects from 60mg cymbalta daily, racing heart/thoughts, nervousness

apr 2010 - primary phys switched to lorazepam 2mg twice daily.  go through some withdrawal from the cymbalta which is not too bad.

dec 2011 - lorazepam no longer functioning well - rather than increase dose, switched to clonazipam .5mg twice daily.  Put back on cymbalta at 30mg daily which seems not to have the adverse effects that 60mg daily did.

apr 2012 - both meds seem to be losing their effectiveness.  convinced that my primary physician does not really know what he is doing with these medications.

apr 2012-oct 2013 - deal with random bouts of depression/anxiety/panic attacks.  Try therapy a couple times without success.  

oct 1 2013 - attempting to taper down to cymbalta 27mg.

oct 24 2013 - Cymbalta 24mg (hand counted whee)

Nov 24 - Cymbalta 14mg (I am currently going down 3 beads per day).  

Today brought on what can only be called "the worst headache I've ever had".  I slept for 4 hours and it went away (mostly).  The sweating is still going on.

finding I am very tired and having trouble focusing on work and my attention wanders all over the place.  Ooh, squirrel

jan 2010 - admitted to hospital after mental breakdown/ER visit.  released after 3 day mandatory hold.  put on 60mg cymbalta daily for "severe depression".  

mar 2010 - excperiencing adverse affects from 60mg cymbalta daily, racing heart/thoughts, nervousness

apr 2010 - primary phys switched to lorazepam 2mg twice daily.  go through some withdrawal from the cymbalta which is not too bad.

dec 2011 - lorazepam no longer functioning well - rather than increase dose, switched to clonazipam .5mg twice daily.  Put back on cymbalta at 30mg daily which seems not to have the adverse effects that 60mg daily did.

apr 2012 - both meds seem to be losing their effectiveness.  convinced that my primary physician does not really know what he is doing with these medications.

apr 2012-oct 2013 - deal with random bouts of depression/anxiety/panic attacks.  Try therapy a couple times without success.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Headaches, unexplained sweating and problems with focus are all classic withdrawal symptoms, you might want to consider slowing your taper until you are feeling more comfortable again.

As I wrote earlier in your thread, we recommend reducing by 10% a month here are some reasons why:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu!

• 2 weeks later...

First update in a while....tapering is going ok.  Side effects seem to have stopped, which is nice....not having any problems.  Currently down to 18mg and projecting to be off entirely by Jan 4th if all goes well.  Good to know it IS possible to get off this stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to be cute yesterday and went without my tapered dose (currently 14mg).  This was really, really stupid.  Don't do this!!!

Breaking down crying in a submarine shop restroom is not fun :P

Back to our regularly scheduled taper...

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh dear, so you tried to cheat? Don't worry, I did too, several times and learned the hard way ;) !

Not good breaking down in the restroom, I hope you've recovered now. 

There's no point trying to rush things, it's frustrating when you just want off.....NOW, but  it really does

pay to go slowly, you'll get there in the end. 

I think you may be going a bit too fast, we recommend no more than 10% reduction of your current dose, 

then stabilising for a few weeks, usually 3-4 before the next drop. You have gone from 24mg to 14mg in

one jump which is a big drop, you could  end up with withdrawal symptoms. 

Thanks for checking in, it's always good to see how everyone is doing.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible