SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tilt table test.

dunerbug

It was recommended to me to get one. 

There were several months where I was blacking out, pretty much every time I stood up. It has improved greatly but does still happen every now and again. The cardiologist I saw found no issues with my heart and said that I should see a neurologist. He said that the neurologist would want me to be tilt table tested before seeing him.

It will be two years this coming April, since stopping prozac and my quality of life is very poor. Still having a lot of weird symptoms and I'm worried that there is something more wrong.

None of the other professionals I've seen seem to understand or take the time to really listen. I'm hoping a neurologist will. Does anyone have experience seeing one?

I have a husband and three kids that I have to care for. I can barely provide basic needs now so my husband has had to take over. I cannot keep living this way. The sadness I feel when I look at how bad things are is just unbearable sometimes.

At this point, I need more answers. 

Any input?

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

• Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard of a tilt table test. My daughter was 14 when she started having blackouts, several times a day

and always after some activity or just getting up out of a chair. The gp said it was attention seeking and the paediatrician  

said it was epilepsy. He started her on drugs and said she would be on them for life. I fought for a referral to a neurologist.

She was almost bed-bound by the time we got the appointment. He ordered tests, many of them, scans etc but not a tilt test? 

He agreed with me that it was not epilepsy and stopped the meds. It was M.E. that she had and the blackouts were from

sheer exhaustion. Once we knew what it was we learned about pacing and not doing too much by pushing beyond what 

she was capable of. Within a week the blackouts stopped. She was ill for 4 years  but started to get better after 2 . 

Withdrawal has very similar symptoms to what she had with the M.E. 

She is fine now, leads a normal life and has 2 gorgeous boys.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Just reading that back has made me wonder if she had withdrawal as well, from stopping the epilepsy drugs! Epilim it was called! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know zip about a tilt-table test, but I wanted to point out that you have roughly six months to go until you hit your two-year mark in withdrawal.  A lot can change in that time, plus taking two years to recover from a too-fast taper (especially after being on an antidepressant for two years) is not all that unusual. I know how easy it is to catastrophize during a bad spell, so I wanted to remind you that all is not lost, things can and do get better.  It just seems to take forever and a day while you're going through it.

I'm in month 22 of recovery from fifteen months combined of three antidepressants (Remeron, Pristiq, and Lexapro) and am just now starting to have some random hours of normalcy from day to day. It's been a long, long haul, but knowing that I'd eventually get back to normal helped a lot along the way.  I hope it helps you, too.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks for the response.

Jemima- That's been my goal...get to the two year mark and assess things then. I do tend to catastrophise, especially when in a dark time. I have been trying to just be for several months now. Things are just terrible though.

Part of the reason I want to start having some more tests done is because both my daughters are now blacking out multiple times a day. So I would like to find a good neurologist, with me being the guinea pig as far as getting the right kind of help first.

The regular md the girls and I went to was no help. 

Mammp- What is M.E.?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the response.

Jemima- That's been my goal...get to the two year mark and assess things then. I do tend to catastrophise, especially when in a dark time. I have been trying to just be for several months now. Things are just terrible though.

Part of the reason I want to start having some more tests done is because both my daughters are now blacking out multiple times a day. So I would like to find a good neurologist, with me being the guinea pig as far as getting the right kind of help first.

The regular md the girls and I went to was no help. 

Mammp- What is M.E.?

Me IS MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS.....I think that is the spelling? Nowadays it's more commonly called CFS chronic fatigue syndrome. At her worst my daughter couldn't make it to the bathroom 4 metres away without blacking out from exhaustion. Exhaustion seems to be a major symptom in withdrawal too.  :(

2002  effexor. 

Oh wow...I'm sorry that happened to her. That's great though that she was able to heal. Did they give you any answers as why she had that?

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh wow...I'm sorry that happened to her. That's great though that she was able to heal. Did they give you any answers as why she had that?

She had glandular fever before that and the doctors think it started there. It was a truly awful time because ME/CFS wasn't widely accepted then. Our GP said teenagers DO NOT get M.E. The paediatric doc insisted it was epilepsy without any conclusive tests and said the same about M.E.

In the end I got my assertive hat on and demanded a referral. It's very hard to do that here and was refused at first by both gp then paeds.   I asked him, " if you have a problem with the highly sophisticated  computer that controls the engine of a precious mercedes, would you take it to the local body repair shop for diagnostics? "  

I got my referral  ;)  I had the school doctor behind me as it was she who suggested it, but she told me I would have a fight on my hands. She was brilliant and so was the neurologist. Even the gp came to accept the diagnosis. 

2002  effexor. 

Our GP said teenagers DO NOT get M.E. 

ha ha, yeah right? A friend of mine has been virtually house bound with her 15-year-old son with ME for a year. He certainly doesn't want to be unable to do what he want!

MYELITIS refers to nerves; ENCEPHALO referrs to brain; MYALGIC refers to muscular distress. Given its name and given that there is this name, it's pretty severe.

Maybe the lack of commitment in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders gives ME its status of not being recognised properly :/ The DSM has its critics :D

So it seems we have to not listen to those who'd follow the DSM and help our kids however we can. For my friend, she has a lot to do :/ 

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

Thanks for the response. Jemima- That's been my goal...get to the two year mark and assess things then. I do tend to catastrophise, especially when in a dark time. I have been trying to just be for several months now. Things are just terrible though.Part of the reason I want to start having some more tests done is because both my daughters are now blacking out multiple times a day. So I would like to find a good neurologist, with me being the guinea pig as far as getting the right kind of help first. The regular md the girls and I went to was no help.  Mammp- What is M.E.?

OK, that is bizarre and disconcerting! At least it means it's probably not brain cancer...that's the only silver lining I see. It's one thing to be sick, and a whole ' other thing to have your children have mysterious symptoms. Keep us posted!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks for the response. Jemima- That's been my goal...get to the two year mark and assess things then. I do tend to catastrophise, especially when in a dark time. I have been trying to just be for several months now. Things are just terrible though.Part of the reason I want to start having some more tests done is because both my daughters are now blacking out multiple times a day. So I would like to find a good neurologist, with me being the guinea pig as far as getting the right kind of help first. The regular md the girls and I went to was no help.  Mammp- What is M.E.?

OK, that is bizarre and disconcerting! At least it means it's probably not brain cancer...that's the only silver lining I see. It's one thing to be sick, and a whole ' other thing to have your children have mysterious symptoms. Keep us posted!

I definitely will. It's a very difficult time for our family. It's not just health issues either. We have a lot on our plate.....I feel guilty and sad when I think of how selfish I've been the last year and a half, dealing with all my crap. 

I have thought seriously about going back on something for a year and then doing a very slow taper. I don't know if that is the answer but....I will re-assess at the 2 yr mark. My family needs me and I still have little to give.

In the end I got my assertive hat on and demanded a referral. It's very hard to do that here and was refused at first by both gp then paeds.   I asked him, " if you have a problem with the highly sophisticated  computer that controls the engine of a precious mercedes, would you take it to the local body repair shop for diagnostics? "  

I love this! How can you argue with that?! :)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy