SigmundFreud's story

SigmundFreud

yeah ill just ride it out.. im waiting on a friend who went abroad. he will buy me milk peptide, calms forte and l-tryptophan i hope they can help me with sleep and mood. my sleep has improved a bit although last night i only slept from about 9pm-12midnight. im trying to do walking morning and afternoon whenever i can. im also trying some simple yoga routines from youtube for sleep and also other sleep aid videos. thanks for all your support i will ride it out i am resilient like my mom and my grandfather who have been through a lot in life but never gave up..

Dec 2012 tried 10 mg Lexapro caused panic attack 

titrated 5 mg, and finally settling at 2.5 mg for some time

Jan-May 2013 on and off carelessly experimented on doses from 1.5 mg to as high as 12.5 mg 

June 2013 had extreme anxiety/panic attacks/paranoia when I ran out of samples.

July 7 2013 - August 10 2013 went back to 2.5 mg to relieve the anxiety and it worked until i felt restless and agitated

August 11 2013 AD-free and substituted with 5-HTP and it seemed to work together with GABA after I read "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross 

dec 20, 2013 switched to 5mg Valium from 0.25mg-0.5mg xanax daily and felt better

dec31 3.75mg V

Update guys. In my afternoon walk today i was so thankful to god i was able to cry. I wasnt able to cry in a long time. I think my brain has already healed some? I was singing songs and i can feel emotions from them again. Before my walk my wife was worried coz i will have noone to walk with and i might harm myself. I assured her i cant do it im too scared and i wont traumatize our 2 kids and the whole family. I had some courage. I thought to myself if i dont give up no matter what happens, fate will find a way for me and my family through all these. Too bad i slept 7-9pm only without sleep hygene so here i am now posting this. Only did sleep hygene when i woke up past 9pm. Slept 9pm-12mn last night so maybe i was too sleepy already a while ago.

Jan-May 2013 on and off carelessly experimented on doses from 1.5 mg to as high as 12.5 mg 

July 7 2013 - August 10 2013 went back to 2.5 mg to relieve the anxiety and it worked until i felt restless and agitated

August 11 2013 AD-free and substituted with 5-HTP and it seemed to work together with GABA after I read "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross 

dec 20, 2013 switched to 5mg Valium from 0.25mg-0.5mg xanax daily and felt better

dec31 3.75mg V

i posted on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5172-i-want-to-go-down-from-0125-xanax-please-help/ too. 

just this noon i had a sudden drop in mood followed by the tingling sensation in the limbs. i think it was a rebound anxiety/panic from not taking alprazolam for 2 days already after almost everyday use since nov22? is it possible to have a seizure for using alprazolam at doses lower that 1mg? i immediately took a small cut titrated untll i felt okay enough to go drive to my doc. i think i took around 250mcg. i asked for a script of diazepam valium i told him i want to taper off the 200mcg daily use of alprazolam. he said i dont have to worry about dependence because im too far from 3mg im not even taking 1mg or even 0.5 mg. but my intuition tells me that im starting to get dependent on it. any thoughts? thanks all 

is it a good idea to start tapering xanor now and switch to valium before i become addicted/dependent to it? also since valium is known to help insomnia which i have now? thanks all..

dec31 3.75mg V

did i take too much niacin or is it just xanor withdrawal? this morning i took 1,000 mg of niacin. days before i was able to work up 500mg or more with no problems it helped me sleep and improved my mood. but this afternoon i suddenly felt a lower mood then the tingling in the limbs. my first thought was a rebound anxiety/panic from xanor because its been more than 48hrs since my last dose. i might have been helped by morning and evening walks, yoga, relaxation/sleep cds. been averaging 200mcg for the last 2weeks+. i was sweating heavily too. i took a small amout of xanor and it improved. took more to about 250mcg. 

i felt calm enough to drive to the nearby doctors clinic and i asked for a script of valium coz i wanted to go off xanor. is that good? after i went home i still felt a bit agitated so i took 10mg propranolol then another 10mg. now the agitation is gone.. can you advise? thanks..

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

did i take too much niacin or is it just xanor withdrawal? this morning i took 1,000 mg of niacin. days before i was able to work up 500mg or more with no problems it helped me sleep and improved my mood. but this afternoon i suddenly felt a lower mood then the tingling in the limbs. my first thought was a rebound anxiety/panic from xanor because its been more than 48hrs since my last dose. i might have been helped by morning and evening walks, yoga, relaxation/sleep cds. been averaging 200mcg for the last 2weeks+. i was sweating heavily too. i took a small amout of xanor and it improved. took more to about 250mcg. 

i felt calm enough to drive to the nearby doctors clinic and i asked for a script of valium coz i wanted to go off xanor. is that good? after i went home i still felt a bit agitated so i took 10mg propranolol then another 10mg. now the agitation is gone.. can you advise? thanks..

I responded to the copy of this you sent to my PM box, but I will copy my reply here too:

Hi SF,

I really can't advise you anything related to medications, only to say that there is no quick fix to withdrawal symptoms and if you do take something, you are most likely going to have rebound effects later.

Valium is just as addictive as Xanax and has no real advantage, although I think it has a slightly longer half life, so you don't have to take it as often.  If you take it more than once or twice a week, its going to cause addiction, but if you take it irregularly, with a destabilized nervous system, its going to cause rebound anxiety which is worse than the original anxiety.  So you need to make a decision to take it on a regular basis, or not at all.  But if you do decide to take it regularly, you will need to taper off it when you stop.  Benzo withdrawal can be harder than antidepressant withdrawal.

Propranolol may reduce physical anxiety symptoms temporarily, but its going to wear off and they will come back even worse.  If you take it regularly, there is a possibility it will cause depression.

Maybe reading back through your entire thread will help.  I'm assuming you are a member here because you want to come off medication and deal with your anxiety/depression in a more natural and healthy way.  This site is a support site for helping people safely come off antidepressant and related medications, not for advising about taking medications.

If your immediate reaction to feeling a bit agitated is to 'pop a pill', then you are not learning how to manage your anxiety in a natural, healthy way. 

We don't advise using any medications or supplements for reducing withdrawal symptoms apart from magnesium and omega 3 fish oil because anything else tends to cause more problems than it solves in most people.... making tapering and withdrawal more complicated and harder than it already is.

I'm sorry that there are no easy answers, but it sounds like gentle walking is very good for you, maybe do more of that. Perhaps another kind of gentle exercise would also help, like swimming, yoga or tai-chi.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

i posted on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5172-i-want-to-go-down-from-0125-xanax-please-help/ too.  just this noon i had a sudden drop in mood followed by the tingling sensation in the limbs. i think it was a rebound anxiety/panic from not taking alprazolam for 2 days already after almost everyday use since nov22? is it possible to have a seizure for using alprazolam at doses lower that 1mg? i immediately took a small cut titrated untll i felt okay enough to go drive to my doc. i think i took around 250mcg. i asked for a script of diazepam valium i told him i want to taper off the 200mcg daily use of alprazolam. he said i dont have to worry about dependence because im too far from 3mg im not even taking 1mg or even 0.5 mg. but my intuition tells me that im starting to get dependent on it. any thoughts? thanks all  is it a good idea to start tapering xanor now and switch to valium before i become addicted/dependent to it? also since valium is known to help insomnia which i have now? thanks all..

You may indeed be experiencing withdrawal from stopping Xanax. How did you go off Xanax?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

im not off xanor yet. been averaging 200mcg daily for almost 3wks now. i think im already dependent and will switch to valium soon. 

dec31 3.75mg V

update guys i think my sleep is improving. last night i slept from 8pm to 2am after an evening walk again. my appetite is a little better too and i gained a little weight so this is good. 

what im worried about is my use of xanor. i still have averaged 0.20mg since nov 22 but i think i am now on 0.25-0.30 mg for the past week or so. i really want to go off xanor ASAP what is the best way to go about it? is it really possible to go off it without much suffering? its a bit hard to get exact amounts by cutting so i bought a cheap pill cutter from a local drug store chain. liquid meds are also not available from where im from and i dont think there are compounding pharmacies here. please help and thank you all for your support..

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

There is a link here for how to make your own liquid so that you can do what is recommended and taper the xanax very slowly.slowly. 

Also… you mint want to read through the benzo thread as it has more pertinent information regarding tapering a benzodiazepine.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

A few posts back you said you were going to try to cross over from Xanor to Valium. Are you still doing that?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

thanks for asking Rhi. when i woke up at 2am this morning i tried 1mg of valium. i felt sedated for a while but not enough to go back to sleep. i slept from 8pm-2am thanks to the evening dose of xanor. im still thinking about continuing the switch. Im at a daily dose of about 0.2mg-2.5mg xanor. i like the idea of easier tapering. but im also concerned about reports that some people dont tolerate the switch well, it could worsen depression and suicidal ideation, etc. any thoughts? how did the switch go for you? thanks all in advance.. 

dec31 3.75mg V

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

thanks alto. for example i am now following a tapering plan at 0.25mg per day. then suddenly i had an anxiety/panic attack and maybe i needed to take 0.5 to maybe 1mg on that particular day. would it be okay to go back to 0.25mg the next day? or do i have to do a fast taper to go back to 0.25? like for example 1.0, then 0.75 the next day then 0.50 then 0.25? has anyone experienced this and what did you do? thanks all..

dec31 3.75mg V

• Administrator

update guys. my appetite and sleep has improved. but i am losing interest in almost everything that im doing. i think its because of the dependency to xanor even at the low dose of 0.25mg. im really considering taking an ssri that is the least agitating. also because if i could go back to ssri successfullly, maybe i can quit the xanor easily. i think my symptoms now resemble a major depression. i really dont know what to do now please advise.. thanks all..

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

my appetite and sleep has improved. but i am losing interest in almost everything that im doing.......

........i think my symptoms now resemble a major depression. i really dont know what to do now please advise.. thanks all..

Hi SF,

That's really good news that your appetite and sleep has improved, its a sign you are recovering and healing :)

Unfortunately, losing interest in things and feelings similar to those of depression are a common stage of the withdrawal process, and not necessarily related to another medication or a reason to go back on medication.

I've been in this pattern for a while.  I will go through several weeks of having a lot of anxiety related symptoms, then they will settle down and my symptoms will be more depression related.  But each time a go through the stage, its less intense.

Have a look through our topics about 'the windows and waves' pattern of recovery here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

and one about anhedonia, apathy and demotivation here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2873-anhedonia-apathy-demotivation/

Please don't take another SSRI, because then you will have to taper off that again.

You will get better help in the benzo tapering forum with your questions about xanor, its here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

thanks Petu. I'm worried about dose escalation in xanor now. I'm currently at about 0.35mg per day. late november i was just averaging about 0.20mg per day. is it common for those in protracted withdrawal from ssri to escalate on benzo dosage? thanks..

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

is it common for those in protracted withdrawal from ssri to escalate on benzo dosage? thanks..

This was true for me.  I took more Xanax while in withdrawal, than I've taken in my whole life, but this was before I found this site and realized that taking a benzo was making things worse in the long run, I was getting rebound, interdose anxiety from it.

I suggest that you don't increase your dose, but stick with what you are currently taking, and take it regularly, at the same time every day.  I think 4 times a day is what is recommended for Xanax (Xanor).  Then when you are ready to come off this, use the Benzo tapering forum for support, I posted the link earlier, but here it is again:

http://survivinganti...ing-discussion/

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

thanks again Petu. i have tried 0.25mg or even less of lexapro and it helped my mood. while trying to taper xanor my overall health seems to worsen just by the look in my eyes and the weight that i lost. i think weening off xanor directly is very difficult. what about doing this super micro doses until i can ween off the xanor quickly and then stabilize a bit then slowly ween the micro dose of lexapro? any thoughts? thanks.. 

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't know you had reinstated Lexapro, when did you do that, please would you add that information to your signature.  Its not a good idea to taper off two medications at the same time.  I'm not actually sure what you are asking.  We recommend going off the antidepressant first and then the benzo.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

i did it just this morning. the depression was unbearable and the suicidal ideations were becoming more and more graphic and nagging to the point that i was googling phrases like peaceful death, painless death etc.. it was so bad i would eat anyones puke or poop just to get out of the hell.. im glad it did improve my mood. its a very low dose i was shaving off bits the size of this letter o >> o

not much maybe in the magnitude of 0.1mg. the idea is to have an easy time of a fast taper from the xanor because of the anxiolytic effects of the lexapro while keeping the doses at absolute minimum. then to stabilize for a while then have a short taper off the minute lexapro dose. 

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for adding the reinstatement to your signature.  I'm glad you are feeling a little better.  If I were you, I would wait a while now and hold on .1mg Lexapro before beginning another taper.

Perhaps someone else will be able to offer suggestions regarding tapering a benzo while still on a micro dose of an SSRI because I don't have any experience of that.  You may need to switch to the benzo forum for support with that.

Its good you are feeling better now, if you become seriously suicidal, its important that you contact your doctor or the suicide help line in your country, or talk to someone who can help.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thanks again Petu for your invaluable support to me. I find humor in the fact that being a scared **** that I am since I was young, I wasnt able to act on the ideations of self-harm. even before they got really bad, i somehow knew it is what would make me hold on. also i didnt want my family especially my kids to suffer the trauma of that event. I really cant thank you guys enough. How are you doing in your own recovery Petu? i hope you are feeling good right now because i know how it feels to have relief after so much misery.. I asked it a lot when i was young why god doesnt seem to love everyone in the same way.. its just so hard to maintain perspective when you are suffering continuously.. peace and love to all.. 

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SF, I am sorry you have been feeling so bad. I have no knowledge of benzos but just

want to say that this will get better. Withdrawal is a terrible thing to go through but thankfully

there are windows that appear to let us know what it will be like when we are better and free 

of the drugs.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

thanks mammaP. i already posted this on the benzo forum but no reply yet. will it be bearable if i am forced to C/T 0.30-0.40mg daily dose for the past week? around november i was at about 0.20mg daily. prior to that it was only as needed basis and i started with 0.125mg. if my remaining xanax is consumed, i will have taken a total of just 22.5-30mg of xanax consumed since middle of this year. what should i expect if it so happens that i dont get a refill? psychiatrists are ignorant of benzo dependency. they want you to stay on AD and counter the side effects by an AP. what should i do? right now im trying to secure some xanax to be able to taper. if not, im seriously considering going to a detox/rehab facility or ride out the C/T myself at home. what should i expect? would it be hellish? please help.. 

dec31 3.75mg V

update guys. after going to 4 different psychiatrists more to help me with tapering valium and noone agreed, i finally gave in and tried seroquel 50mg to improve sleep. two of them said it will help me ween of benzos quickly. it did help i was able to sleep from 9pm-6am and did not wake up at 12mn-2am as i used to. i was even able to sleep more after breakfast because i was still drowsy. i just gave it a try but i didnt like the hangover the next day. i will just continue with my valium taper as i have been feeling better since i switched to valium from xanax. would that one-off use of low dose seroquel destabilize me? how long would its effects wear off? i really think i can pull off the valium taper but my problem is i cant find a doc who would support it. any advice? thanks all in advance. 

dec31 3.75mg V

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry but this is out of my league I'm afraid, but one of the others will be along who

knows about those particular drugs. It may be a while being Christmas eve but someone

will be along eventually.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

That is a question for the private benzo forum.