SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Angelique76 Tapering off Cymbalta, my positive experience

Angelique76

Hi all, I'm here to share my positive experience so far with tapering off 30mg Cymbalta. I reside in Australia where supply for me is prescribed in blister packs with one month supply per box and I've only been taking Cymbalta since April 2011.

Initially I counted a few caps & found approx 300 beads in each 30mg cap so I started by removing 30 beads each day for ten days, then each ten days increasing the amount removed by 30 (100 day plan). My tapering plan has been more aggressive in timing than other research suggests & I've been lucky that this hasn't caused any ill effects (there are one or two days each week where I feel a bit dizzy / jetlagged but nothing debilitating).

Also, I was not anal with the bead removal, some days the amount removed from each cap may have varied by 5 beads up or down.

Once I got to the stage where I was removing half the beads & I only had a few caps left of my blister pack, I purchased some empty gelatin caps & started filling them each day using the beads I had saved from the previous daily removals & have continued with decreasing the amount by 30 beads every ten days.

I'm currently down to an intake of 90 beads per day & I'm feeling good. Thanks to everyone else who shared their experiences that helped me to formulate my plan, good luck to everyone else who is in the process :-) Bead counting is laborious but it's worked for me so stick with it!

Currently tapering off Cymbalta 30mg.  Adding 4 to 6 x 1000mg Omega3 Flax Oil Capsules per day, 2 to 3 litres of water and regular exercise (cycle/walk/yoga).

Have been on and off medication and in therapy for the past 10 years to deal with my inability to understand and react appropriately to "life" and other people. I am currently in the process of removing myself from this stressful city based corporate life and head out to a relaxed paced life in a more tranquil setting (Daintree, Far North QLD, Australia). I hope one day to work with animals in a wildlife park or in the field of marine life conservation  :)

Also worth mentioning I take Melrose Organic Flaxseed Oil (way better than fish oil and no after taste) & I drink at least 2 litres of water daily and exercise (low impact cycle/walking/yoga) every few days.

Currently tapering off Cymbalta 30mg.  Adding 4 to 6 x 1000mg Omega3 Flax Oil Capsules per day, 2 to 3 litres of water and regular exercise (cycle/walk/yoga).

Have been on and off medication and in therapy for the past 10 years to deal with my inability to understand and react appropriately to "life" and other people. I am currently in the process of removing myself from this stressful city based corporate life and head out to a relaxed paced life in a more tranquil setting (Daintree, Far North QLD, Australia). I hope one day to work with animals in a wildlife park or in the field of marine life conservation  :)

• Administrator

Welcome, Angelique.

A fairly rapid tapering schedule seems to be working for you so far. However, a lot of people going fast find the reductions catch up with them. You may wish to hold for a few weeks to give your system time to adjust.

Our topic on tapering Cymbalta is here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Angelique.A fairly rapid tapering schedule seems to be working for you so far. However, a lot of people going fast find the reductions catch up with them. You may wish to hold for a few weeks to give your system time to adjust.Our topic on tapering Cymbalta is here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

Thanks so much for this advice, I think I will extend my taper a few weeks just in case, I've certainly got plenty of beads to tide me over so I'll be able to do this easily, again, thank you!

Thanks for this post - gives me hope that mine will go well as I am doing an identical taper...from pretty much the identical date!  I just started a week ago.  Question - Where did you get the empty capsules?

jan 2010 - admitted to hospital after mental breakdown/ER visit.  released after 3 day mandatory hold.  put on 60mg cymbalta daily for "severe depression".  

mar 2010 - excperiencing adverse affects from 60mg cymbalta daily, racing heart/thoughts, nervousness

apr 2010 - primary phys switched to lorazepam 2mg twice daily.  go through some withdrawal from the cymbalta which is not too bad.

dec 2011 - lorazepam no longer functioning well - rather than increase dose, switched to clonazipam .5mg twice daily.  Put back on cymbalta at 30mg daily which seems not to have the adverse effects that 60mg daily did.

apr 2012 - both meds seem to be losing their effectiveness.  convinced that my primary physician does not really know what he is doing with these medications.

apr 2012-oct 2013 - deal with random bouts of depression/anxiety/panic attacks.  Try therapy a couple times without success.  

oct 1 2013 - attempting to taper down to cymbalta 27mg.

oct 24 2013 - Cymbalta 24mg (hand counted whee)

Nov 24 - Cymbalta 14mg (I am currently going down 3 beads per day).  

post-2388-0-14941300-1382054816_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this post - gives me hope that mine will go well as I am doing an identical taper...from pretty much the identical date!  I just started a week ago.  Question - Where did you get the empty capsules?

I got mine from Chemist Warehouse (Australia) - you can also buy them on eBay for cheap but I was in a hurry so couldn't wait for postage time.  The size I got are "00" which are quite large (as you can see in the picture) but easier to handle than the tiny Cymbalta ones   :)  Capsule sizing works backwards, the larger the number, the smaller the capsule. I'd also highly recommend taking Omega3 oil capsules, the day I forgot to take mine I was very dizzy (I take about 6 x 1000mg flax-oil daily). Glad I could help. Take care and stay strong. Also, my "tools of the trade" include the little plastic container in the picture which was something I had lying around from ear-plugs (I use them every night to guarantee sleep) and that container is what I use to count all beads in, makes it easy to tip them into the capsules, hope this helps also!

Hi cat,

I dry cut Ativan, and needed capsules.

I found them at Amazon.com

I hope this helps you.

Wishing you and Angelique a successful taper .. :)

Love, Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

I have noticed I have been less dizzy since taking the omega3 capsules...great suggestion.

You should see my bead counting rig - it's funny, just a piece of black construction paper, folded in half, and I dump out the beads onto it and use a "Dave and Busters Card" to separate and count them.  Then I use the V in the construction paper fold to roll any overage beads back into the capsule. :)

jan 2010 - admitted to hospital after mental breakdown/ER visit.  released after 3 day mandatory hold.  put on 60mg cymbalta daily for "severe depression".  

mar 2010 - excperiencing adverse affects from 60mg cymbalta daily, racing heart/thoughts, nervousness

apr 2010 - primary phys switched to lorazepam 2mg twice daily.  go through some withdrawal from the cymbalta which is not too bad.

dec 2011 - lorazepam no longer functioning well - rather than increase dose, switched to clonazipam .5mg twice daily.  Put back on cymbalta at 30mg daily which seems not to have the adverse effects that 60mg daily did.

apr 2012 - both meds seem to be losing their effectiveness.  convinced that my primary physician does not really know what he is doing with these medications.

apr 2012-oct 2013 - deal with random bouts of depression/anxiety/panic attacks.  Try therapy a couple times without success.  

oct 1 2013 - attempting to taper down to cymbalta 27mg.

oct 24 2013 - Cymbalta 24mg (hand counted whee)

Nov 24 - Cymbalta 14mg (I am currently going down 3 beads per day).  

I have noticed I have been less dizzy since taking the omega3 capsules...great suggestion.

You should see my bead counting rig - it's funny, just a piece of black construction paper, folded in half, and I dump out the beads onto it and use a "Dave and Busters Card" to separate and count them.  Then I use the V in the construction paper fold to roll any overage beads back into the capsule. :)

Good work!  Keep it up, have a nice day, it's midday here downunder and I'm heading outside for a walk in the sunshine (my natural antidepressant)    :)

I was desperate for more empty capsules this week, no time to order. So I bought the cheapest, safest thing I could find at Walmart, gelatin in capsules, and emptied them out.

Angelique, it's people like you who make the doctors say, "But my other patients stopped without any problems." ;). Just kidding, I'm very glad you're doing well.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I was desperate for more empty capsules this week, no time to order. So I bought the cheapest, safest thing I could find at Walmart, gelatin in capsules, and emptied them out.Angelique, it's people like you who make the doctors say, "But my other patients stopped without any problems." ;). Just kidding, I'm very glad you're doing well.

Thanks, I think?  LOL  it was definitely all the comments on here that helped me, loads of research over a LONG period of time before I started.  Certainly was a tailored approach that suited me personally and maybe a little luck.  :)

Hi Angelique,

see my answer to your question in my thread.

All the best!

Sly ;)

My dog:
15663989yz.gif
My current condition: :)

My method of measuring beads: http://survivinganti...-counting-them/
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4856-sly-on-cymbalta-and-tapering/?p=61238

2013 - 28. December - Cymbalta 2 mg

2013 - 16. December - Cymbalta 5 mg - 12 days

2013 - 02. December - Cymbalta 8 mg - 14 days

2013 - 17. November - Cymbalta 12 mg - 15 days

2013 - 28. October - Cymbalta 16 mg - 20 days

2013 - 11. October - Cymbalta 22 mg - 17 days
2013 - 19. September - Cymbalta 30 mg - 22 days
2013 - 26. August - Cymbalta 40 mg - 24 days
2013 - 04. August - Cymbalta 50 mg - 22 days

S T A R T Tapering Cymbalta 60 mg - after 88 days

:wacko:Constant side effects: Libido, sometimes slight headache, muscle stiffness, sometimes slight tinnitus, weight gain.
2013 - June / July- Cymbalta 60 mg Ongoing stable situation.

2013 - 18. May - Cymbalta 60 mg Effect: Depression is gone! Anxiety is getting significantly better!

2013 - 08. May - Cymbalta 60 mg Incease the dose of 30 mg in the morning with an evening dose of another 30 mg.Again symptoms when inceasing the dosage but weaker this time.

2013 - 01. May - Cymbalta 30 mg Starting with 30 mg for 7 days with very bad side effects for about 4 days.

2013 - Mid April Diagnosis: Stress related nervous breakdown with following depression and anxiety.

I am: male, 52 years old, 85 kg heavy, 1,88 m tall, runner, non smoker, living in Germany

Hi Angelique,see my answer to your question in my thread.All the best!Sly ;)

Thanks Sly, will heed the advice of yourself & Altostrata, appreciate your time!

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angelique,

How are you doing?  Please sign in to our Australia members thread http://survivinganti...-check-in-here/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Angelique, thanks for your post in the Australia thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6284-australia-members-please-check-in-here/?p=99034

Very good to hear you've come so far. Can you tell us about your healing journey, what did you find that helped reduce symptoms, what were your stages of healing?

Do you feel you can write a Recovery Success Story now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.