Angelique76

Angelique76 Tapering off Cymbalta, my positive experience

Angelique76

Hi all, I'm here to share my positive experience so far with tapering off 30mg Cymbalta. I reside in Australia where supply for me is prescribed in blister packs with one month supply per box and I've only been taking Cymbalta since April 2011.

Initially I counted a few caps & found approx 300 beads in each 30mg cap so I started by removing 30 beads each day for ten days, then each ten days increasing the amount removed by 30 (100 day plan). My tapering plan has been more aggressive in timing than other research suggests & I've been lucky that this hasn't caused any ill effects (there are one or two days each week where I feel a bit dizzy / jetlagged but nothing debilitating).

Also, I was not anal with the bead removal, some days the amount removed from each cap may have varied by 5 beads up or down.

Once I got to the stage where I was removing half the beads & I only had a few caps left of my blister pack, I purchased some empty gelatin caps & started filling them each day using the beads I had saved from the previous daily removals & have continued with decreasing the amount by 30 beads every ten days.

I'm currently down to an intake of 90 beads per day & I'm feeling good. Thanks to everyone else who shared their experiences that helped me to formulate my plan, good luck to everyone else who is in the process :-) Bead counting is laborious but it's worked for me so stick with it!

Angelique76

Also worth mentioning I take Melrose Organic Flaxseed Oil (way better than fish oil and no after taste) & I drink at least 2 litres of water daily and exercise (low impact cycle/walking/yoga) every few days.

Altostrata

Welcome, Angelique.

A fairly rapid tapering schedule seems to be working for you so far. However, a lot of people going fast find the reductions catch up with them. You may wish to hold for a few weeks to give your system time to adjust.

Our topic on tapering Cymbalta is here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

Angelique76

Welcome, Angelique.A fairly rapid tapering schedule seems to be working for you so far. However, a lot of people going fast find the reductions catch up with them. You may wish to hold for a few weeks to give your system time to adjust.Our topic on tapering Cymbalta is here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/283-tips-for-tapering-off-cymbalta-duloxetine/

Thanks so much for this advice, I think I will extend my taper a few weeks just in case, I've certainly got plenty of beads to tide me over so I'll be able to do this easily, again, thank you!

cathead

Thanks for this post - gives me hope that mine will go well as I am doing an identical taper...from pretty much the identical date!  I just started a week ago.  Question - Where did you get the empty capsules?

Angelique76

post-2388-0-14941300-1382054816_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this post - gives me hope that mine will go well as I am doing an identical taper...from pretty much the identical date!  I just started a week ago.  Question - Where did you get the empty capsules?

I got mine from Chemist Warehouse (Australia) - you can also buy them on eBay for cheap but I was in a hurry so couldn't wait for postage time.  The size I got are "00" which are quite large (as you can see in the picture) but easier to handle than the tiny Cymbalta ones   :)  Capsule sizing works backwards, the larger the number, the smaller the capsule. I'd also highly recommend taking Omega3 oil capsules, the day I forgot to take mine I was very dizzy (I take about 6 x 1000mg flax-oil daily). Glad I could help. Take care and stay strong. Also, my "tools of the trade" include the little plastic container in the picture which was something I had lying around from ear-plugs (I use them every night to guarantee sleep) and that container is what I use to count all beads in, makes it easy to tip them into the capsules, hope this helps also!

lexicon

Hi cat,

I dry cut Ativan, and needed capsules.

I found them at Amazon.com

I hope this helps you.

Wishing you and Angelique a successful taper .. :)

Love, Lexi

cathead

I have noticed I have been less dizzy since taking the omega3 capsules...great suggestion.

You should see my bead counting rig - it's funny, just a piece of black construction paper, folded in half, and I dump out the beads onto it and use a "Dave and Busters Card" to separate and count them.  Then I use the V in the construction paper fold to roll any overage beads back into the capsule. :)

Angelique76

I have noticed I have been less dizzy since taking the omega3 capsules...great suggestion.

You should see my bead counting rig - it's funny, just a piece of black construction paper, folded in half, and I dump out the beads onto it and use a "Dave and Busters Card" to separate and count them.  Then I use the V in the construction paper fold to roll any overage beads back into the capsule. :)

Good work!  Keep it up, have a nice day, it's midday here downunder and I'm heading outside for a walk in the sunshine (my natural antidepressant)    :)

Meimeiquest

I was desperate for more empty capsules this week, no time to order. So I bought the cheapest, safest thing I could find at Walmart, gelatin in capsules, and emptied them out.

Angelique, it's people like you who make the doctors say, "But my other patients stopped without any problems." ;). Just kidding, I'm very glad you're doing well.

Angelique76

I was desperate for more empty capsules this week, no time to order. So I bought the cheapest, safest thing I could find at Walmart, gelatin in capsules, and emptied them out.Angelique, it's people like you who make the doctors say, "But my other patients stopped without any problems." ;). Just kidding, I'm very glad you're doing well.

Thanks, I think?  LOL  it was definitely all the comments on here that helped me, loads of research over a LONG period of time before I started.  Certainly was a tailored approach that suited me personally and maybe a little luck.  :)

sly

Hi Angelique,

see my answer to your question in my thread.

All the best!

Sly ;)

Angelique76

Hi Angelique,see my answer to your question in my thread.All the best!Sly ;)

Thanks Sly, will heed the advice of yourself & Altostrata, appreciate your time!

Altostrata

Angelique, thanks for your post in the Australia thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6284-australia-members-please-check-in-here/?p=99034

Very good to hear you've come so far. Can you tell us about your healing journey, what did you find that helped reduce symptoms, what were your stages of healing?

Do you feel you can write a Recovery Success Story now?