Shylo: Been on Paxil almost 20 years.

Shylo

Sigh...where do I start.

I had my last child at 29 years old in 1989 and got postpartum quite badly. I refused antidepressants for almost a year, when although I was slowly getting better, I decided to try. I felt wonderful in two weeks, but that deception was the start of what has ruined my life.

I think it was 1994 0r 1995 that I started paxil. After a unsuccessful cold turkey in 1996, where I had a severe anxiety attack it took Drs. 30 mins trying diff. meds to stop it. I have been scared of trying again....other than little tapers. Then back up again after a stressfull event in case I relapsed. Silly I know.

In 2009 I lost my business, home and my financial security and found myself on government assistance.

Then in 2010 at 49 I was diagnosed with MS.

I changed my diet drastically for the good and have gone down a bit in my Paxil from 35mg to 22.5mg in this three years since MS, my last drop was in April and I still don't feel ready to drop again.

I have to get off of Paxil because I am not doing as good as I should with all I am doing for my MS. Plus it is POISON!

Having sensitivities because of both MS and withdrawal, it is going to be a difficult challenge.

Ok, that was difficult guys....lol.

Cheers,

Lynne

Edited by tezza
Added member name to title

Antidepressants since 1991 for postpartum.

Paxil since 1994. A couple attempts at tapers and resultant anxiety in 1996, which left me scared to taper again.

Diagnosed with MS in 2010. 

Tapered from 35mg - 22.5 sporadically in 3 years.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lynne,

Welcome to SA! I'm sorry you've been through this but I'm glad you've found your way here. There's so much valuable information on this forum.

You'll get lots of friendly support and good advice!

Please add your drug history in signature:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks and, once again, welcome!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lynne,

Welcome to our community, thank you for posting an introduction.  I'm sorry you have been through such a difficult time.

I changed my diet drastically for the good and have gone down a bit in my Paxil from 35mg to 22.5mg in this three years since MS, my last drop was in April and I still don't feel ready to drop again. 

It sounds like you have been tapering slowly, and that's a good thing.  We generally recommend a reduction of 10% every 4 - 6 weeks, but you can go faster or slower based on how your body and symptoms react.  Here is a link to tips for tapering off Paxil:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/?hl=%2Btips+%2Bfor+%2Btapering+%2Boff+%2Bpaxil

When you say you don't feel ready to drop again, do you mean you are still having some withdrawal symptoms?

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Welcome Lynne,

I am saddened that you have endured so much ..You are courageous,

and I admire your resolve. You will be in my prayers.

This is a wonderful forum, with caring and knowledgeable people.

Someone will come along shortly to help you.

Please take care of you.

Sending you love and blessings, Lexicon

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Thanks all for the Welcome and kind words.

Petu said:  "When you say you don't feel ready to drop again, do you mean you are still having some withdrawal symptoms?"

2 months ago I was in the hospital and they gave me a strong antibiotic thru IV for a bladder infection.  It didn't agree with me and my lab numbers were all over the place, mostly liver and I felt ill.  I felt messed up for awhile in my head.  So I want to wait a few more months.  

Thanks for asking.

Lynne

Paxil since 1994. A couple attempts at tapers and resultant anxiety in 1996, which left me scared to taper again.

• Administrator

Welcome, Shylo.

Paxil comes in a liquid, enabling very small decreases. When you are ready to make another decrease, if you use the liquid, you can measure a precise amount.

Given your long history on Paxil, prior difficulty coming off, and health problems, you may wish to take micro-taper, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Shylo.Paxil comes in a liquid, enabling very small decreases. When you are ready to make another decrease, if you use the liquid, you can measure a precise amount.Given your long history on Paxil, prior difficulty coming off, and health problems, you may wish to take micro-taper, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2878-micro-taper-instead-of-10-or-5-decreases/

Thanks for the Welcome Altostrata.  

I read the micro-taper link.  Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I have a question though.  My withdrawal symptoms seem to take awhile to show up.  Could I be a slow metabolizer, if there is such a thing?  

Another question - A leader of a mailing list group who seems to know what she is doing, told me she believes I don't have MS at all, that it is damage from the AD long term.  Any comments would be appreciated.

• Administrator

I don't know anything about how MS is diagnosed, or if you were diagnosed adequately.

Medicine doesn't understand anything about the adverse effects of psychiatric drugs. I suppose it's possible your symptoms are related to the drugs. It's also possible you have both an adverse reaction and MS.

What kind of treatment are you getting for MS?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Shylo~

Many of our members have gone through setbacks following treatment with antibiotics, so don't worry about this being something peculiar to you.

We do have one member, Aria, who was diagnosed with an MS-like disease after taking psychiatric drugs for a number of years.  Her Intro is here:

Aria: My Psych Journey

Taking your taper as slow as necessary and even being willing to updose a bit is good. So many people are in a rush to get off the drugs, thinking that will get rid of all the symptoms, and they end up worse off with an even longer taper ahead of them.  This is because antidepressants make physical changes to the brain, killing off some neurons and growing some new ones, and taking the drugs away quickly leaves the brain in an unbalanced state, struggling to get back to normal. Better to take tiny steps and not have the withdrawal symptoms.

Welcome to the forum.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hello, Shylo~

Many of our members have gone through setbacks following treatment with antibiotics, so don't worry about this being something peculiar to you.

We do have one member, Aria, who was diagnosed with an MS-like disease after taking psychiatric drugs for a number of years.  Her Intro is here:

Aria: My Psych Journey

Taking your taper as slow as necessary and even being willing to updose a bit is good. So many people are in a rush to get off the drugs, thinking that will get rid of all the symptoms, and they end up worse off with an even longer taper ahead of them.  This is because antidepressants make physical changes to the brain, killing off some neurons and growing some new ones, and taking the drugs away quickly leaves the brain in an unbalanced state, struggling to get back to normal. Better to take tiny steps and not have the withdrawal symptoms.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome Jemima.  I had a look at Aria's Journey....wow she has come a long way.  Some of my MS symptoms do seem like real MS symptoms but others who knows.  Both MS and AD's can cause fatigue for example and mine is very bad, my worse symptom.  I can't even work because of it.

I don't know anything about how MS is diagnosed, or if you were diagnosed adequately.Medicine doesn't understand anything about the adverse effects of psychiatric drugs. I suppose it's possible your symptoms are related to the drugs. It's also possible you have both an adverse reaction and MS.What kind of treatment are you getting for MS?

Altostrata, I was diagnosed properly.  I wanted to hear what you had to say about it.  I also think I have both symptoms of MS and adverse reaction or long term use affects.  Problem is both disorders have symptoms that overlap.

I don't use any MS meds.  Won't go there, the meds are nasty and don't work, but that took a lot of research to find out.  I follow a Paleo diet started by a MD with MS herself and was able to get out of a wheelchair with a paleo diet and supplements.  I need to get on some more of the supplements but I worry I can't take them.  One is Acetyl-L-carnitine and coenzyme q-10.  Do you know if I can take them?

I should be doing better than I am with my MS symptoms considering my diet change.  Others are, many many others.  I gotta get off this med, I am sure that is the prob.  But, having said that I am going to be patient.

Oh....I did quit smoking last March!  Started smoking just after started AD use.  I didn't think I could ever quit!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Shylo,

I'm a far cry from Alto but I don't think anyone can predict whether or not you may be able to take certain supplements.

We do suggest that any time you take something new to take a very small amount until you know how your body will react. If you find you need or can tolerate more you can go up. That's better than taking the full dose and having a worse reaction if it doesn't agree with you.

Hi Shylo,

I'm a far cry from Alto but I don't think anyone can predict whether or not you may be able to take certain supplements.

We do suggest that any time you take something new to take a very small amount until you know how your body will react. If you find you need or can tolerate more you can go up. That's better than taking the full dose and having a worse reaction if it doesn't agree with you.

Thanks for your reply Tezza.  Yes I do understand that all we can do is try supplements, however I am most concerned about the Acetyl-L-carnitine because it passes the BBB and is used as a brain function supplement.  http://www.naturalnews.com/015553_mental_health_Alzheimers.html

• Administrator

I looked into Acetyl-L-carnitine and it seems there are risks with it. I believe it's best to get that particular amino from eating meat.

I looked into Acetyl-L-carnitine and it seems there are risks with it. I believe it's best to get that particular amino from eating meat.

Altostrata, risks using with AD's?  

Shylo,

Your case is very interesting and inspiring. I also have demyelination occurring in my brain that "is similar to MS but not in same pattern (lesions)" per one doctor. The lesions appear to have begun long ago so I also suspect some correlation to SSRIs (began 1993). No two docs have called it the same thing, but I've been offered (and refused) treatments such as high dose steroids, chemo agents, and an antimalarial, all aimed at autoimmune diseases (Addison's, CNS lupus, CNS Sjogrens..). I don't know if I'm doing the right thing, but wanted to share. I have tremendous respect for your decision against MS treatment.

There is some evidence that drugs, including serotonergics, can trigger autoimmune responses.

I wish you the best in your taper. You're in good hands here (I found this site too late).

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks Tezza.  I will note to be careful of anything that crosses the BBB.

Barbara, thanks for sharing your experiences.  It wasn't a hard choice to make to refuse the drugs after all I have been thru with Paxil.

Yesterday I met a person with MS who is ten years older than me, on immune suppressants and other drugs for fatigue and he is doing so much better than me.

It really made me wonder.  The fatigue is really bad but how on earth could I take a drug that helps that...would prob give me serious anxiety.

My fatigue is debilitating right now, but I'm not certain of the cause. As you said, so many symptoms overlap. I wonder also..

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

My fatigue is debilitating right now, but I'm not certain of the cause. As you said, so many symptoms overlap. I wonder also..

Oh Barbara, I am sooooo glad to have met you!   I can't work because of the fatigue being so bad, all I manage is to make my meals.  Mine is really bad right now too, I think it may be the change in weather.  I have very bad cold intolerance as well.

• 1 year later...

Hi Shylo 

I did a search on this site for MS and found your post.  I am hoping you have had some improvement and would love to read an update from you if your up to it. 

After years of being drugged I was tested for MS as I had a head drop and foot drag and numerous other lesser neurological symptoms... I was told to get off Effexor.  All a long story I am sure everyone is as tired of hear as I am telling.  

Here I am 7 years later and wondering if some currant things going on with me are MS again yes I have an apt to see.. months away.  I am not sure how they tell exactly but the last MRI said I did not have MS ... still I am 7 years out now and wonder why these things keep coming back on me.  I am curious as to how you are doing. 

Please update. 

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)