Equanimity

Binaural Beats and Isochronic Tones for Depression, Anxiety and Recovery

Equanimity

One of the tools I have found that really help me when I am feeling anxiety is binaural beat sound waves that I found on-line and then downloaded onto an MP3 player.  You do need headphones to get the full effect.  I was pleasantly surprised how much this helps!

Here is just one of thousands of links I found on youtube.  You can found the countless others listed on the right side of the page where I found this one video:

I am grateful to those who allow us to download for free and then donate to their work in this area.  I have downloaded several types for different brain waves.  The theory is different sound waves like the theta wave, for example, can persuade our brains to either relax or they can help the brain/mind move through and clear our chakras.  There is a plethora of information on this theory on-line for you to read.  Look at the links below the videos for more information.

It is a great way to meditate when our brains are just all over the place and our regular meditation session is just not happening.  This method helps my brain to follow the waves and calm down and then I am either ready to meditate or, it has helped me to fall asleep at times.  There are binaural beats for sleep too.

Happy hunting on this subject.  It is amazing how I have found such wonderful help in using different modalities for anxiety and sadness here on-line.  It is valerian root through my headphones!

1977-2001 Valium 5mg. PRN (and later years I PRNed too much)., 2001 Prozac, but changed quickly to Paxil for 6 months, then tapered over 8 weeks.

2002 Klonopin 1 mg., Celexa 30 mg. had "manic" response (was labeled bi-polar) so Neurontin was added after trying Depakote, Geodon, Risperadal, Zyprexa.

2003 Trileptal was added and Neurontin discontinued. Hair fell out and Trileptal was discontinued.,

2004 Now 6 mg. Klonopin, Lexapro 20 mg. (instead of Celexa) Lamictal 125 mg. instead of Trileptal.

2009 Now 3 mg. Klonopin reduced from 6 mg. after swallowing all the pills and lived to tell about it. Wellbutrin was added, then Rozerem 8 mg. and stayed on Lexapro 20 mg. and Lamictal at 100 mg. (Seroquel and Effexor were tried, but quickly discontinued.)

2011 Successfully tapered from Klonopin 3 mg. to 2 mg. that year in .25 mg. increments.

2012 Successfully tapered off Wellbutrin and discontinued Rozerem replacing it with melatonin. Tapered another 1/2 mg. of Klonopin.

2013 Tapered off Lexapro 10 mg. in January and February, tapered down to 75 mg. of Lamictal in February. Went to a holistic clinic for a month in March and tapered 1 1/2 mg. off Klonopin to 0 by March 13th. Finished Lexapro taper of 10 mg. during the spring and then the last 75 mg. of Lamictal in the summer. All done by July 21st 2013.  Withdrawal symptoms (both physical and emotional) up the ying-yang.  

10/22/13 Right now am suffering from unrelenting vertigo, crying spells, some anxiety.  Definite periods of hope and homeostasis. 

My introductory post:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5118-equanimity-asking-for-help-for-unrelenting-vertigo-due-to-withdrawal/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

Narcissus

I saw a therapist at the height of my withdrawal and she had me do this exercise.  I remember finding it helpful, I'm going to try it again and report back.  

I love your signature!  

THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

I think of this as being the sort of unspoken SA motto.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

GiaK

I've found some of this stuff very helpful too...brain entrainment stuff...I have a bunch of free downloads on the blog here: 

http://beyondmeds.com/2013/03/05/soothing-healing-sound/

-- those mp3s were incredibly helpful for a couple of years

that said, I've also found some of this stuff to be mess with me big time...plays into the dysregulation and sets me sailing into nasty rebounds...and I did get sensitive to the ones I shared above as well...but first they helped me for a good long while

especially nasty was the Profound Meditation Programs...and before I realized what it was doing I thought it was fantastic so it pays to be wary...I had no idea that some people react to this stuff...and it's not unheard of...there are warnings on these recordings for a reason.

anyway, as usual I'm more hypersensitive than most but I know some of you are like me so be cautious. 

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Nadia

I've used these as well, and found them to be helpful and calming at times, but I think like GiaK I have to be careful not to overdo it.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Petunia

Binaural beats, or binaural tones, are auditory processing artifacts, or apparent sounds, caused by specific physical stimuli.

The effect on the brainwaves depends on the difference in frequencies of each tone: for example, if 300 Hz was played in one ear and 310 in the other, then the binaural beat would have a frequency of 10 Hz.

There are 3 types of Brainwave Entrainment of differing popularity:
Binaural Beats, the most commonly known type of Brainwave Entrainment
Isochronic Tones, the second most commonly known type of Brainwave Entrainment
Monaural Beats, the third most commonly known type of Brainwave Entrainment

The description below the first video states:

◢ Binaural Beats can aid in stimulating cell regeneration in the body. Using frequency modulators, we are able to recreate the frequencies that encourage the treatment by allowing the nerves and cells to begin regeneration. This session uses a binaural beat of 2.0Hz which associates directly to nerve regeneration, and a carrier frequency of 111Hz which associates to cell regeneration. Relax your mind and set your intentions into your own physical healing and practice once a day for better results.

I don't know if any of this is true, or if it works, but I guess its possible and I don't think it would hurt to try.

Head phones are needed to get the proper effect.

Advanced Nerve and Cell Regeneration with Binaural Beats

Binaural Beats For Life - Pure nerve and cell regeneration "treatment"

(the volume on this one needs to be turned up to hear it properly)

Nerve Cell Regeneration And Relaxation, Isochronic Tones:

Brain Healing Binaural Beats:

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

MostlyWater

I've seen this before. Many videos like that claim to enhance your memory, learning ability, intelligence, energy, mood, DNA.. almost anything you can imagine. 

Paxil from 2005 to July 2013. 30mg. 

Very short taper. 

Mort81

Music therapy has shown to have a profound impact on the brain. I wouldn't doubt that this could work aswell.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

InvisibleUnless

binaural beats can have real physical and psychological effects.  my friend and i have done some experiments---he was put into a profound trance by one of the 'strongest' marketed meditative ones aptly named "hand of god".

but, i dont think they are capable of being more efficacious than 'natural' means of immersing in sound.  for example, spending some time at the beach, or in the middle of the forest, entails a ton of tones that have healing, regenerative, and otherwise biologically synchronizing properties (in addition to the other sensations, like EM fields, smells/particles, light exposure, etc)---many of them outside the bounds of normal human hearing.  plants and natural processes (like tidal waves, settling earth, etc) put off a lot of noise that our biology responds to even if we dont consciously hear it or realize it, and furthermore interact with tones we create (in our activities) or put off (in merely being).

they can be interesting for recreational experiments, but i would never pay money for any such thing, and dont think spending hours using them as meditation or unconscious healing tools is more beneficial than alternative means we have.  and, also to note, any research done into the specificity of reactions to tones requires highly detailed contextual explanations---the situation, duration, setting, regularity, and habits surrounding stuff like binaural beats have a huge impact on what they can and cant do.  its also much like smoking weed or drinking alcohol---around 80% of the bodily and psychological effects are produced through self-training, by enculturation and personal ritual.  we experience, for the most part, what we expect to (and the brilliance of capitalism is not providing for real needs, but rather creating in people tailor-made needs that will be met by each new product line).

music therapy, as Mort81 mentioned, is another really great sonic healing agent, and probably has a wider range of applications, especially when administered ritualistically.  people just need to find what works best for them.

two scientific notes: i dont think the creation of binaural beats (which is essentially endemic to the listening condition for humans, as opposed to an external environment of things interacting) is a simple addition/subtraction thing---theres more math involved to fully map the potential patterns from offsets.  secondly, the brain (or constituent parts) doesnt operate on/respond best to a single 'frequency' or 'wavelength', because the body, and each of its organs, are essentially a complicated biomechanical machine that regulates and operates through electronic pulses and fields/waves---theres a lot more variety, which is partly why a hyper-targeted approach like binaural beats (which inherently require a limited sonic approach) are essentially inferior to more holistic experiences (like rumbling surf) for most things theyd purport to promote.

sometimes using a scalpel is better than a sledgehammer, but keeping things super simple, like adding vitamins to foods for instance, often entails a superficial generation of tones that is lacking the beneficial suspension (substance---in this case sound substance) that helps our bodies take in and put to use what is being offered.  artificial vitamins and fortifying most foods does not create a healthier product, and can contribute more to IMbalancing a person than balancing him.  so, im not saying to never try or use stuff like binaural beats...just be properly skeptical, as everyone here has seemed so far, and find the best ways to get the most out of the experience.  check em out if youre intrigued, but take the same precautions you would with other forms of neuromanipulation and intoxication.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

Beachgirl26

Another question from the newbie here. I've run across binaural beats and isochronic tones recordings on YouTube, that are supposed to help calm people and even alleviate depression. Has anyone here had experience with them, good, bad or indifferent? Is it a bad idea to try them if you're on an antidepressant and/or trying to taper off? I felt kind of weird trying one out the first time, the second it actually seemed to help me feel better, since then not much reaction. 

Thanks again. I'm so glad to have found this forum!

Prescribed 10mg amitriptyline 8/2015

Upped to 25mg on 11/12/2015

Stopped during an illness late Jan/early Feb 2016

Restarted, then went to 3/4 pill 25mg

Petunia

If they help and make you feel better, I think they would be fine. I've tried some of these recordings to help me relax, calm down and hopefully help with healing. I've found it difficult finding ones that don't get annoying real fast. But I've been particularly sensitive, so that's probably just me.

See: Binaural Beats for Depression, Anxiety and Recovery ...  * topics merged

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Michel

Hello, I have many years experience with binaural beats. Tried them first in 2011 and later again in 2013. Is it me or have you also noticed that the quality of binaural beats and rife frequencies have declined? Until 2014 most of them were pure tones with some having also pleasant music. But lately there has been a shift - most new offerings on YouTube promise everything - from making you a millionaire to changing your hair or eye color. Also the music pieces have become weird. Old binaural bests, isochronic tones, waves and Rife frequencies have better effect on me than the fancy new ones. Too bad YouTube search cannot ignore the post 2014 results. 

Altostrata

Hello, Michel. What effect do binaural beats have on you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Rabe

Hi Michael...I agree.  There are still a few that are soothing but the others you speak of, for me, often increase my agitation and anxiety.

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. Reactions to AD's. Klonopin .5BID ?1990, 2.5mg ? til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Tapered to 2.25mg May '16 to Nov '16, Heart raced after 1 Lexapro, stopped. Reacting to Prevacid to tapered off. Nov

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan 2 '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from 2/20 to 6/10 '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 Viibryd 8.25 -10/18 Carafate 1/2 NOC-10/24 Viibryd 8.0, 12/6 Viibryd 7.75, K+ 10meq qd

-NOW 1115am-Viibryd 7.75mg, 3pm-K+ 5mg, 515pm-Clonaz .2mg, 6pm-K+ 5mg, 830pm-Premarin .3mg,1115pm-Clonaz .9mg, 115am Carafate .5gm.

Michel

With the what I would call the "first wave" binaural beats and similar brainwave entertainment frequencies like in the OP in this thread I had great results for my anxiety and even depression.

The newer ones, mostly made after 2014 either do not  work, or like for Rabe make things even worse. Also lately they are focusing mostly on meditation and chakras or whatever but it's mostly meditation music. The real deal were the old ones.

Songbird

Many years ago, during a bad patch when I was really struggling, I tried a brainwave CD from Immrama Institute.  The main problem was, it was just listening to rain, and I just couldn't sit still and listen to rain, so I hardly used it.  At some later date, I bought some Holosync CDs.  They were much easier to listen to as they had some tibetan bowl sounds (as well as the rain) so it was more tuneful and I could listen to it and relax.  You are supposed to use them sitting up, like a meditation, but I'm rubbish at meditating and sitting still doing nothing, so instead I listened at bedtime lying in bed, and most of the time I went off to sleep. 

I don't know if Holosync would help directly with anxiety and depression, but what I found was that I was able to see my issues more clearly and then work through them.  It's like it made the mindfulness practice of observing easier to do.  After using it for a while I was able to separate different parts of my mind and observe them and analyse them to figure out what was going on.  I used the holosync CDs for a few years, then forgot about them for a few years.  Recently I dug them out again and have been using them to help me sleep (The Dive/Immersion).  It kind of makes sense, as the brainwave patterns it is supposed to be entraining go gradually down to delta waves, which is for deep sleep. 

Holosync is very expensive, but I'm glad I got it as I believe it has done me a lot of good.  I think it can cause issues to come to the fore, which can be really good if you're in a position to work on them, but could be way too stressful depending on what's happening in your life at the time.  For that reason, I would be hesitant about recommending it for those in severe withdrawal or whose systems are very sensitive.  They do have other recordings (that I haven't used much) for more general relaxation.  They offer a free trial demo recording (that is not as strong as the real thing) so you can try it out for free.   

Please note that I am not promoting or recommending this product, just describing my personal experiences with it.  As always, individual responses vary.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 July 2.9mg

Tattycorum

I've found that a guided meditation with binaural beats in the background is very helpful for winding down at night and for dealing with morning anxiety. The following site has good ones. It posts a new free one each month; the older ones are behind a pay wall. 

The Meditation Podcast

I have also had good luck with just the binaural beats, particularly the ones for sleep available for free (or donation) at this site:

https://free-binaural-beats.com/

I got some flat head phones so you can lie on your side and listen. They are called sleep phones. 

I'm very excited at being able to get symptom relief from these methods. Sometimes it takes a while, but it usually effective. 

---

Lorazepam: 2014-15 1-1.5 mg lorazepam (aka Ativan) at night; 2016 to Nov 2018: 0.75 mg lorazepam at night;

Dec 2018: dividing dose into 3x a day. Jan 2019: taper 5% every 15 days; Held 9/2019 - 2/2020 at 0.35 mg 

March 2020: tapering 2.5% every 15 days. Currently at .306 mg May 2020
Sertraline: 2005-14 50 mg sertraline (aka Zoloft); 2014-15 200 mg sertraline

2016: attempted taper too fast; stabilized at 25 mg

Jan 2017: began 10% per month taper of sertraline. Currently at 0.41 mg May 2020

Erell

Tried with curiosity this afternoon : it didn't seem to help with neuroemotions, but it made me feel very sleepy : might be interesting for bedtime routine.

Here is the one I listened to

As Petunia said above, I find it a bit hard to find ones that don't get annoying. 

My sensitive CNS doesn't seem to bear every kind of sounds, some made me feel unpleasantly weird, stimulated.

As with everything in WD, I would advise caution and start slow and low to see how it affects your CNS.

On 12/11/2018 at 5:03 PM, Tattycorum said:

a guided meditation with binaural beats in the background

Haven't tried one that combine guided meditation with binaural beats. 

Might be interesting to try.

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paroxetine + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 

2008 : cold turkey of both

2010 : 20mg Deroxat + Bromazepam(no specific dose) 

2013: Switch from Bromazepam To Prazepam (long half-life)

2014-June2017 : Prazepam taper, 3% drops. 

2018 to August 2019 : weaning Paroxetine 20mg. 3% every 15 days.

- 22nd August updosed To 10mg (was at 8.4mg) because of a big wave. 

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paroxetine. 

April 2020-August 2020 : Paxil to Prozac bridge. Details https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21457-erell-struggling-with-paroxetine/?do=findComment&comment=499847

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate/ fish oil/ evening primrose oil 

Current medication : 7mg Fluoxetine + 1mg Diazepam + toothpick Paroxetine