Kandiceann83: New here--need LOTS of help

kandiceann83

I'm a 31 year old mom and wife. I'm your average "soccer mom" so to speak...except for my dark secret of medication abuse.

In my 13 years of marriage, I have had 14 surgeries (all female related-ending in a hysterectomy at age 26)

This created a viscous cycle of pain, surgery, recovery, massive dr bills, a dependence on pain medications, and then depression.

I could go on and on about the pills I've taken, the withdrawals I've experienced, and the despair I feel that I will never get better.

I am currently taking seroquel...only 25 mg at night. I've been in it since July. It was given to me to treat PTSD from all the horrific medical disasters I have had as well as some tragedies I have gone through. I would really live to not take it anymore-it makes me feel very horrible...confused, can't find my words, almost drunk like...

How do I taper off such a low dose...

I am on a variety of other meds (trazodone, temazepam, fioricet with codeine, propranolol) I don't want to take those either...but I want off seroquel first.

Any and all opinions would be very appreciated!!!

My beautiful children deserve to have their mom back and my awesome husband would've his wife to feel well again!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kandiceann--have you started a thread in Introductions and Updates yet? More people visit that thread and you will get more help and advice there. This thread is mostly for members discussing benzo use.

Welcome to the forum.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Topic moved from Members Only Benzo Tapering Discussion.

We really need to know more before giving any specific advice.  Could you please put your drug history in the signature area of your profile? Directions are here:

How To Add Your Drug History To Your Signature

And here's our topic on tapering off Seroquel:

Tips For Tapering Off Seroquel

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you both! I will work on writing my medical history more completely in a different forum. I really am desperate for some advice.

I have only been on seroquel since July, only 25 mg, so I think I am lucky in that aspect that it might be easy to get off of.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kandiceanne, that is a lot of stress and trauma to have gone through,I really feel for you. 

It is not surprising you became addicted to prescription  meds when you have to take them just to function.

Seoquel is available in liquid form if you can get it where you live, it is much easier to taper with liquid because

you can  use a syringe to measure tiny doses, we recommend no more than 10% reduction every 4-5 weeks.

It takes time but most people notice a reduction in side effects as they get lower in dose.

If you list the drugs you are taking in your sig line with doses as Jemima suggested we will be able to see at a glance 

at the bottom of each post  what you are taking and the doses. It will be easier then to advise you.

Alto is the expert and some drugs fight each other so she will be able to 

see if it might be another drug which can be causing your symptoms together with seroquel.

The drugs that are prescribed for one thing can cause lots of awful side-effects, then more are added

and you end up with several drugs for side effects which ALSO cause side effects! 

It's good you found us, we are all here for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Dear Kandiceann83:

I am sorry to hear of all you have been, and are, going through. Yes, 25 Mgs is a low dose (if that is just once a day). For most people that dosage is primarily an anti-histamine, but these drugs have such variability in individuals that you are right to be very cautious.

MamaP indicated that Seroquel (I assume this is regular, not extended release) is available in liquid form. That must be something recent. If available, that will make tapering much easier.

You are also taking Trazodone and that may make tapering a little more problematic.

Both drugs are metabolized by the same liver enzyme (cyp3a4), so decreasing Seroquel may, in effect, increase your Trazodone levels. The 10% guideline suggested on this site would seem like a good starting point. If reducing by that amount each month goes well, you may be able to reduce by a little each month or reduce a little more frequently.

You also mentioned that you are on a beta blocker. That causes reduced blood pressure. Seroquel often causes orthostatic pressure problems. The combination of the two might make you particularly susceptible to dizziness when standing up.

I am glad you are here. My opinions are just opinions, but lots of folks here have a lot of information to share.

I hope that you have someone helping to deal with all the trauma you have been through and not just throwing pills at you.

Be well,

Ed

• Administrator

Many apologies, Seroquel does NOT come in a liquid form, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/

Thanks for the correction, Ed.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm so sorry if I mis-informed you Kandiceanne, And sorry to Alto, I did a search before posting and found a 

post that said it is available in liquid form. I should have looked further and would have seen that it isn't.

My apologies, I hope I didn't raise your hopes  :blush: .

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

I made that error in another topic. I apologize.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.