SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Ajay -- Zoloft withdrawal

• Administrator

....So maybe the hippocampal shrinking is not even real, but I still find it a valuable metaphor and inspiration to meditate and exercise my brain to try to improve its functioning.

You're right, it works as a metaphor, let's all give our brains healthful exercise!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Brain atrophy is a big fear of mine, since my current job is not challenging my brain at all. It basically has nothing to do but go lurk in dark corners...

I've got my feet in a bucket full of warm water with Epsom salts as I type. we'll see how this works. I'm really, really hoping to get some sleep tonight.

Alto, my dissolving method had to do with the tools I had available- a cold medicine cup with a few marks at various mL volumes. Not terribly accurate, but I thought it might be better than trying to cut a pill into eighths.

History is approximate; I didn't track my dosages.

1995 - started zoloft/sertraline for depression

1995-2008 - sertraline ranged from 100-200mg, may have gone as high as 250mg

2006 - 2009 - added welbutrin/budeprion SR, 150 mg

sometime in 2009-2010 - stopped budeprion c/t

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

~ feb 2010, stopped sertraline.

~ Apr 2010, resumed 25mg low dose (really bad business trip)

Oct 2010, stopped sertraline

Jan 2011 - another bad business trip "breaks" my sleep.

current issues include insomnia, anxiety, GI distress, depression.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

Going to therapy and acupuncture once a week.

I guess a good thing about a bad night is that it reminds me that (even recently) I've had better ones.

I've been avoiding alcohol (bummer - I was really into wine tastings and such). Last night I had a glass of wine with dinner. And then woke up after about 3 hours of sleep and couldn't get back to sleep. I noticed on another SA post from Punar (here) that alcohol increases the effects of GABA. So maybe there's a "mini-rebound" effect when the alcohol wears off?

::sigh:: I'm feeling very discouraged. I have an appointment with a psychopharmacologist next week. I have no idea how it will go, but I think I'll bring a few w/d articles with me. Specifically: Harvey, et al: Neurobiology of antidepressant withdrawal: implications for the longitudinal outcome of depression; Biological Psychiatry. 2003 Nov 15;54(10):1105-17. Other recommendations would be welcome.

I'm considering a mindful meditation class. I'm worried, because I don't trust my brain these days and it tends to go into dark unhelpful places. I'm not sure if meditation will open channels I'm not strong enough to handle. I've had problems with depression for most of my life and I don't know how to distinguish real depression and anhedonia from w/d symptoms. I don't have a strong sense of support from my therapist right now - I've been going for a few months. I do much better when I connect with friends, but most of my close friends are no longer in the area, and I'm not sure how to make new ones yet.

My lack of cognitive function is really getting to me. I miss my brain. It used to work very well, and I put a lot of my self esteem in that basket.

Okay, now I'm just venting. I keep losing sight of how lucky I am. I think it's time to go back to keeping a journal. I kinda feel like there's no point, since I'll never go back and re-read it, but maybe the act of writing will help me organize my thoughts.

Hi ajay,

I use to meditate a lot taking myself to my safe place but haven't gone there since withdrawals the physical and mental pain made it impossible to to relax when it started, then the aggression brought such dark thoughts out of nowhere I was scared, now the anxiety is really ticking me off.

I got just a relaxation CD from my therapist today to start using, just to help get me to the point I can relax from there I hope to be able to eventually meditate I could really use my safe place right now.

They have many guided meditation CD's, that is what I started with years back.

I'm looking to make some friends also it's kinda hard when you don't get out much. Good luck!!

On Pristiq last month went down to 50mg, cut pills in half for a week did good, next week reduced to 1/4 withdrawals came. My body hurt so bad, running to the bathroom, couldn't eat, stomach in knots, anxiety so intense Ativan didn't help much, scared to be alone but couldn't be around anyone, so unattached to myself, didn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights. By day 3 I just didn't care, I wanted it done, no more Pristiq. Very fortunate I didn't get brain zaps, I think I would have lost it. I struggle with periods of intense aggression that has almost turned into violence when a lady smarted off, the thoughts that come with it scare me and are out of nowhere.

A week without still can't eat, got some sleep but back to not sleeping even with sleeping pills, still in and out, aggression, anxiety let up, running to bathroom, stomach in knots, overwhelming feelings something is wrong. Keeping hope as I have brief moments of clarity!

• Administrator

ajay, you can ask just about any pharmacy for an oral syringe. They have them for children. Usually, they'll just give it to you.

You can measure up to .2mL with the typical 10mL oral syringe.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ajay, did the Epsom salts help at all? Maybe you need full submersion for it to work (also, I think really hot water might help, too). I'm lucky because even though I don't have a tub, my parents do and we're neighbors.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I think everything got thrown out the window when I tried taking sertraline again. I certainly felt sleepy after soaking my feet, and I fell asleep reasonably quickly, but woke up in the middle of the night as usual.

I left a message with my doctor about DHEA (I'm thinking maybe I should have my hormone levels checked first?) but I haven't gotten a response yet. I did find some 5 mg pills at the nearby Whole Foods...

So even though I only tried a small amount of sertraline (about 6.25 mg) I'm afraid to just stop taking it. I worked out a gradual taper that will take over another week to stop. I'm not sure I'm up for another week of this, but I'm afraid of stopping cold turkey even though I'm only taking small amounts.

I'm also a bit afraid to try adding anything new (like phosphatidylserine) to the mix. To make matters worse, I had a crazy morning and forgot to take my fish oil & vitamins. I'm zonked out and anxious at the same time. Kinda funny in a sad sort of way.

sometime around 2009-2010, Tapered down sertraline w/o guidance to 50 mg, then 25mg.

Taking multivitamins, Vitamin D, fish oil, Chinese herbs, ~ 0.5mg melatonin in the evening.

• Administrator

Well, restarting the med after more than a couple of months have passed is a long shot. It may or may not be doing you any good.

You didn't improve at all after you started taking it, right?

If that's so, I think your plan to let go of it is a good one.

Sure, have your DHEA levels checked, maybe even a more extensive endocrinological workup, including vitamin D. Couldn't hurt, and you might find something that justifies supplementation.

Agree with you, be cautious about adding anything to the mix.

Yeah, slow is probably the way to go (I try to remind myself of this every day). Zonked out and anxious at once... that is how I've felt forever now. Makes it really hard to work.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Alto, it seems to work the way of all other things I've tried that are stimulating. It does lift the depression a bit, but it also raises the anxiety and interferes with sleep. I got the same problem from taking Nuvoxil, and I don't remember getting the bonus GI side effects with that.

I did have my vitamin D levels checked about a year ago and again this spring. It had been low, it's now at the low end of normal. I'm taking 1000IU/day. When I tried taking more, it seemed to mess with sleep, so I stopped. I guess I got really reactive about sleep. If I took something and it seemed like I woke up too many times at night, or couldn't get any sleep, I'd stop taking whatever it was. Even though one night doesn't really make a trend.

The official party line is that I should stay on the sertraline and after a month or so, the side effects will go away. I don't think it's worth it. I just worry a bunch now about how to stop taking it, even though it's a small amount and it has only been a week.

Nadia, I hear you. I'm working on a paper and I think glaciers move faster.

• Administrator

Alto, it seems to work the way of all other things I've tried that are stimulating. It does lift the depression a bit, but it also raises the anxiety and interferes with sleep. I got the same problem from taking Nuvoxil, and I don't remember getting the bonus GI side effects with that.

I did have my vitamin D levels checked about a year ago and again this spring. It had been low, it's now at the low end of normal. I'm taking 1000IU/day. When I tried taking more, it seemed to mess with sleep, so I stopped. I guess I got really reactive about sleep. If I took something and it seemed like I woke up too many times at night, or couldn't get any sleep, I'd stop taking whatever it was. Even though one night doesn't really make a trend.

The official party line is that I should stay on the sertraline and after a month or so, the side effects will go away. I don't think it's worth it. I just worry a bunch now about how to stop taking it, even though it's a small amount and it has only been a week.

Nadia, I hear you. I'm working on a paper and I think glaciers move faster.

Everything you say makes sense in the context of withdrawal hypersensitivity, ajay, including vit D being activating above a certain amount.

Don't worry about the depression, assume it's part of withdrawal, and do what you can to protect your sleep. Sleep is healing.

If the Effexor didn't make you feel any better, fugeddaboudit, no matter what the party line is. If I were you, I'd show a lack of interest in the party line. This tends to discourage them.

How is the tapering going?

Hi Nadia,

I'm not doing so well. I think it's all about the sleep, or lack thereof.

I'm getting about 3 hours of definite sleep per night, and then my mind takes over and starts running. I'm worn out and scared at this point. I feel nauseous and I have no mental or physical energy. I can't get myself to move. I know GABA blockers are a bad idea, but I think a few more precious hours of sleep would really help, so I'm sorely tempted.

The rest of this post is a ramble, more for myself than anything...

This makes me want the sertraline out of my system even faster. I found conflicting sources on the half life from 13 to 83 hours, which makes it harder for me to figure out the whole tapering thing. Because I haven't been on it long (today will be day 13) I'm thinking of tapering a little more aggressively - maybe even as much as a mg per day. I'll see how it goes.

Concurrent with the sertraline, I seem to be craving and eating more sugar (though it could also be PMS). I think it's because of the nausea. Unfortunately, sugar is not my friend.

I tried taking phosphatidyl serine. The stuff I got is soy lecithin based. I took some yesterday morning and some more before bed. I probably need to try it more consistently to really check if it makes a difference. Not noticeable so far.

I guess I should be glad I can function at all. My body is stiff and achy, and my fine motor skills are a bit off (I make a lot of typos to correct).

I've been very disconnected for a long time. I have not been able to cry very easily. sometimes it comes in short, intense bursts and then stops very suddenly. This is very unlike me - I used to be able to 'have a good cry' - granted, it wasn't pleasant, but afterward I would usually feel much calmer, like I had gotten it out of my system. Now I feel sort of insulated and numb. I don't think this really helps me. I don't like feeling sad, but blocking it off does me no good either. I think I'm afraid that if I start feeling sad, it will just swallow me up and I'll be sad forever. Past experience would indicate that this is not true. I used to keep a journal, and now I can't get myself to write much.

I don't know what to do. Everything seems overwhelming.

• Administrator

Ajay, I think you can quit that little bit of Zoloft faster than that. Don't worry about the half-life. It isn't doing you any good, and you have withdrawal symptoms anyway.

Those bursts of weepiness -- I know them well, also the feeling of being overwhelmed. Just take it one foot in front of the other, don't expect big things of yourself.

Hi Ajay,

I know just what you mean... not getting enough sleep makes everything so much harder to deal with. My mother tells me that I can survive on 4 hours of sleep, but it sure doesn't feel that way, especially when they are not 4 continuous hours of sleep and when they are not deep. I've become so afraid of not sleeping that I dread going to bed, and that can't be good! I want to be more relaxed about the whole thing, but it's hard. I swing from total optimism that tomorrow will be a better day to complete fear that it won't, and either way I get pretty much the same results.

I've been having sugar cravings, too (for the first time in a long time!) and more appetite, maybe because I am now on day 3 of the Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet, and the basic diet is sooo boring. But I think it is helping my digestion. It's not fun, but maybe it could help?

Also, I had the most amazing massage yesterday... it felt so great while I was getting it, it almost made seem life worthwhile again. And for a few hours afterwards, things seemed so much better. Interestingly, I still woke up every few hours last night, and the panic-fire-wave things I get were stronger, BUT I was able to sleep in bits and pieces more deeply than I have in weeks and it was wonderful! Close to the first day I did the magnesium bath, which I do every night but which seems to not work so well anymore. I was lucky in that I found a particularly good massage therapist (and really cheap)... I'm going to find a way to afford it every week. Today I'm sore and tired (and drinking lots of water as suggested by the massage therapist), but I think if I get massages regularly it could help. I don't know if that is within your possibilities... The challenge with any "solution" is that it is only a tiny push forward, and we can't expect a sudden recovery.

About the not crying... in general the past few months I've had that disconnected feeling as well. Only a couple of times after going to acupuncture have I felt something aside from anxiety and depression (the soulless, not much feeling kind), and then it was sadness, and if I could cry I then felt relief. I agree that I don't want to be sad, but sad is better than nothing. I think it's also a sign of my anxiety receding if I feel like I can feel pain and sadness.

I've been trying to accept the present, no matter how bad it is, like Eckhart Tolle suggests in the Power of Now. I'm no good at it yet, but here's what he has to say to "The present moment is sometimes unacceptable, unpleasant or awful": "It is as it is. Observe how the mind labels it and how this labeling process, this continuous sitting in judgement, creates pain and unhappiness. By watching the mechanics of mind, you step out of its resistance patterns, and you can then allow the present moment to be. This will give you a taste of the state of inner freedom from external conditions, the state of true inner peace. Then see what happens, and take action if necessary or possible.

Accept -- then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life."

The author says that most of his life he was "in a state of almost continuous anxiety interspersed with periods of suicidal depression". And then one day it all changed because he was able to separate from his suffering.

I deeply wish for us that we can reach that clarity. Maybe it could help to think of what is happening to you as a step in healing.

I don't know... I'm a blind person trying to find the light for another blind person.

But, don't despair! Better moments will come... it is only logical that this cannot continue indefinitely.

Thank you so much, Alto and Nadia, for your kind words.

Nadia, I am amazed that you can do pilates and such.

Accepting the present is difficult for me but it sounds wise. There's just so much in the present that is unpleasant. I'm even behind on my homework for the meditation class.

I have a referral to a therapist who comes highly recommended (though not necessarily for withdrawal per se) but does not take insurance. I'm worried about the financial stress if I start seeing her and the mental stress if I don't.

My car broke down, and after a few repairs, it still wasn't running properly. My husband thought (correctly) that it wasn't safe. This weekend we went out and got a lease on a new car. It's entirely practical (nothing fancy, but something reliable that what we could afford).

Okay, this is kind of incoherent. It's just when I lie down in bed my brain starts going even though I'm so %$&@ exhausted. So I get up because I can't sleep and then while I'm trying to do something else, I can barely keep my eyes open. I'm going to try to sleep yet again...

Well, if you saw my version of pilates you'd know why... hahaha. I do a very light half hour, with lots of pauses and despair in between. But I force myself. It helps that I started doing it before I got the worst of my symptoms. I think it has helped that I've given up on finding pleasure or enjoyment or satisfaction from doing it (same with eating and working).

Most of the day I am in a desperate mental struggle to just deal with the moment. Then I think I need to relax and accept. I am not good at it. But I think slowly I am getting better. VERY slowly. It's a Catch-22, because "being in the moment" can seem so unbearable, that I feel like I HAVE to think of a future or a past where I can be or was better. Just accepting the moment can make it seem infinite, and then I'm thinking it will last forever (but then of course I'm thinking of the future). But I think there is something to not rejecting it and embracing it. Not sure HOW, but I'm aiming for it.

My health insurance doesn't cover therapy, and I'm still looking for a therapist... I know what you mean about worrying about the financial stress. I had a little money saved that was going to be for the birthing center... I've now decided this is an emergency and I have to just do whatever it takes to get better. It still stresses me out, though, because I've been turning down jobs so as to reduce my stress, and wonder what I'm going to do a couple of months down the line. Hopefully it will all work out. What is certain is that our health is the most important thing to consider now.

Just think... you've made it this far... you can make it a bit longer. Things have to change, it's just the way things work.

Just letting you know I'm still thinking about you, still rooting for you, and really hoping your symptoms improve and you are able to get better sleep soon.

Thanks Nadia. Your check-in means a lot to me.

I just haven't had the energy to post much lately.

I stopped the zoloft a few days ago (after Alto's post, actually). I had tapered down to 2 mg via liquid suspension. As Alto pointed out, I already have withdrawal symptoms, so what difference does it make to taper slowly at this point?

In acupuncture, I had been requesting treatment for depression. On my last visit, I asked for help with sleep instead. I have avoided taking any benzos or benedryl in the past week, though I have thought about it.

One problem I have is that I'm pretty stressed and unhappy at work, yet it would seem to be non-ideal to switch jobs, not to mention the fact that it takes energy to do a job search. I really wish I had something I'm good at to keep me going.

My acupuncturist is taking August off. I'm thinking of using August as a break from everything to see what helps and what doesn't. I'm just afraid of stopping the fish oil and melatonin and vitamins. As usual, I'll go back and forth for awhile, afraid to make changes.

On the TMI front, my period is late. Back in the days when I was regularly on Zoloft, I had noticed that if I missed doses it would affect my cycle. It may be the same situation now. And/or the stress and lack of sleep could be playing a part. I know I shouldn't worry about it because that will make it worse.

So I'm trying to just breathe and hang in there. And try to figure out how to do the homework for my meditation class. On one hand, the class is probably a good thing. On the other, it emphasizes spending time with yourself and right now I really want to be anywhere but in my own head.

This weekend I have two fun events with friends scheduled. Something to look forward to...

• Administrator

Is there any way to reduce the stress at work?

Suggestion -- to see what works, don't stop fish oil, vits, melatonin all at once. Subtract them one at a time and see if they make any difference.

When you started taking fish oil, did you feel any difference? How about the melatonin? How much are you taking now?

It's hard to tell what works, and I'm afraid to stop taking the vitamins and supplements because at this point I'm afraid of things getting any worse.

I didn't (and haven't) kept a diary through this. It would've been a good idea. The main thing I've noticed about the fish oil is that my face is really oily now. But it's also summer, so it's hard to know if it's just that. The other thing is that since I don't have much energy, I may not be eating as well as I could be, so I'm hesitant to stop taking vitamins.

I'm currently taking about 0.5g melatonin at around 8:30 pm. I have little trouble falling asleep, but I wake up after about 3 hours and have a hard time falling back to sleep. I've considered increasing the melatonin. I don't know if it's a good idea to take another dose when I wake up (maybe 12:30-1 or 2 am).

As for work, it's complicated. I haven't been happy there for a long time. I'm isolated and I'm not using my skills. A change would do me good, I've just gotten discouraged before I've even gotten started. A new job could definitely help the healing process, but then I won't have any reputation to fall back on if I hit a wave. I'm not really sure I have one now, anyway, but I'm still employed at least.

I think the journal is a good idea... I've been writing down everything I do for a couple of weeks now, hoping it will help me see patterns. It can be hard, because there are so many variables (internal and external), and doing or not doing something doesn't necessarily have an immediate effect.

I also first asked for depression treatment in acupuncture... it seems to help me a lot more now that I mention anxiety and insomnia.

I got a massage yesterday again and I slept better last night than I had in weeks... I think it's helping more than the acupuncture, even! I asked what kind of massage I was getting, and it's a mix of techniques, but with a base of ayurvedic massage, which are these figure eight and heart patterns that feel amazing. I mention it just because I feel like it's the main thing that has helped me improve lately...

I have my doubts about melatonin... but also afraid to not take it. I have been taking it later at night, at 10pm, and wonder if that has also helped. I found this page:

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/circadian-rhythm-disorders/circadian-rhythm-sleep-disorders/10-how-to-use-melatonin-correctly.htm

That says this about how to take it for nighttime waking:

"Nighttime awakenings and early morning insomnia

For nighttime awakenings that last less than one hour, consider taking sublingual melatonin (a pill that dissolves under the tongue). Sublingual melatonin is released immediately into the blood stream, and isn't metabolized through the digestive system.

For frequent or awakenings that last more than one hour, consider taking 1 sublingual and a time-released melatonin tablet. Take the time release tablet first and then place the sublingual tablet under your tongue.

Cautions: If you need to get up in the morning within 2-3 hours, Take regular instead of time release melatonin. Time release melatonin may last into the waking hours, causing confusion and mood problems. Do not take melatonin if you awaken less than one hour before you need to get up."

I think that means taking some when you wake up might be a good idea? (If you can get the sublingual kind.)

TMI-wise... interestingly, I just got my period three days early. Maybe I'm compensating for you. :P

• Administrator

ajay, just stay where you are for a bit, let things settle.

As for work, stop worrying and just fade back to being a normal team member. Don't expect so much of yourself. You may not get accolades, but that's not what you need right now, you need stability and calm.

As for melatonin, it's the hormone that triggers sleep. Your body expects it at nightfall. I wouldn't take it past 2 a.m., and then take a reduced amount, say .25mg.

If the melatonin is helping initiate sleep, that's good, right? Better a little sleep than no sleep. Ordinarily, its effect lasts only a few hours; it's "normal" for withdrawal insomnia to wake in the middle of the night.

Ajay, the fact that you make it to work amazes me! That in itself is a huge accomplishment! I have worked only 4 hours today, and am so ready to quit. I understand thinking about "the big picture"... it plagues me as well, but Alto is right. One thing at a time!

I'm hanging in there but feeling very low and using this post to vent (mostly to self).

I'm taking a class in meditation. I'm behind in the homework, and I'm scared. I want to do this. I think it'll be a good thing. But I'm disappointed in myself for not doing the homework. I can't expect to get as much out of it if I don't do the homework. And it makes sense to do it while I'm in the class and I have some support from the teacher.

I'm just frustrated that so many aspects of my life have suffered, and that it will take time to catch up and I have so little energy for that now. And when I do have energy, I should really be doing my meditation homework... sigh.

Don't worry about falling behind on meditation stuff! Just to what you can, praise yourself for what you can do, and don't worry about the rest. Otherwise it's going to be counter-productive.

I'm sorry you're feeling low... Has your sleep improved at all?

Hi Nadia,

Hard to say about the sleep. I think it's a little better than it was when I was on the reinstated low dose of Zoloft.

I used to track my sleep pretty carefully. I haven't this past week or so because it was kind of depressing. And maybe it's a good sign that when I wake up, I'm usually too zonked to do much more than go to the bathroom, drink some water, and go back to bed (I had been taking notes of the time).

On Friday, I went to a free spa night with a friend. It really was like something out of our dream spa: chair massages and mini acupuncture treatments! It was lovely and relaxing, but when I got home, I couldn't sleep. So I started reading a trashy novel that a friend lent to me (her idea was that I needed something light and fun). Well, I ended up reading until way too late (2am) so it threw off what little schedule I had. Saturday was a lovely party with some good friends. I ended up falling asleep on their couch from about 10pm until about midnight. Sunday was an amazingly unproductive day. I was completely wiped out.

I dunno. I should be paying more attention. I also should be honoring my 9:30-midnight sleep window, which I kind of trashed so far this week. Part of me thinks "I'm going to wake up at midnight anyway; if I stay up later, I can spend some more time with my husband in the evening."

One thing I find interesting: I seem to have two sleep modes. Completely out of it (nothing will wake me up) or not-really-sleeping, still somewhat aware of the world. I did some meditation in the car when my husband was driving us to the party. He was sure I'd fallen asleep, but I didn't think so. When I'm listening to guided meditation, I lose whole sections sometimes. I still hear her voice, I just don't know what she was saying. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as it's still somewhat restful.

Interesting... I guess you are so tired when you do fall asleep you go into really deep sleep.

For the meditation stuff... that happens to me too, and I think it's a sign you're in the theta-wave brain activity zone, which is a good thing.

I know what you mean about sleep windows. Mine now seems to be 11:30pm to 1am OR 4am with luck. Since sleep helps reduce cortisol, get it whenever you can! But yeah... that usually conflicts with spending time with people. I've been seeing a lot more of my parents lately because of that... they're the only ones I know who have a similar schedule! Ha ha...

For the past two days, my anxiety levels have been pretty high. Last night I took a full mg of melatonin at around 9:30 and when I woke up at 1 AM I took another 0.25mg of melatonin. I was thinking that I really need some rest. I'm not sure it helped.

I went to the gym for the first time in a awhile yesterday, hoping it would help calm me down a bit. I don't know if it did. I could really use some endorphins these days... I guess I'll write more about it later, I feel like I've lost 15 years of my career life and I don't know how to get it back on track. I feel defeated and lost.

In meditation, I think I've learned that my body wants to be more active. Also, that I have a great deal of sadness in me. I haven't been able to sit comfortably with that.

That is great news about going to the gym. I hope it makes you feel better... it can be really hard to know just how much to exercise. I had started breaking into a job on my walk for like 5 minute intervals, but not sure if even that is overdoing it. I hope you find just the right amount of activity to lift your depression and help with the insomnia at the same time!

I hear you about the big life questions, midlife crisis stuff. And the sadness (I sometimes feel like I have a seldom accessible, but unlimited well of accumulated sadness myself). I also have so much regret, I really try to tell myself it's useless to feel that way and that I have to just go forward, but I'm not even really sure WHERE forward is or if I have it in me to get there if I can figure it out. I then go back to thinking "baby steps"--just try to concentrate on where you are now and improving that. But then that can feel so depressing in itself. Getting into the right state of mind is so tough to pull off. And so exhausting. I realized this morning I spend my entire day trying to be OK. I'm sure it's like that for a lot of us.

Ajay, I wish you somehow a moment of peaceful, easy, happy inspiration and good feeling, just out of the blue, to help see you through all of this.

• Administrator

Your realizations from meditation are amazing, ajay. It sounds like you're really getting something out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just checking in. I had to take a break from this site for awhile.

Last weekend I had some lovely visits from old friends and was feeling in better spirits. But after about 6 hours back at work I felt defeated again.

I ran out of melatonin and seemed to be doing okay without it until last night. For some reason, I was really hungry, craving sugar (probably had too much of it) and then we watched TV and I just couldn't sleep. I read for a bit (may have been a mistake, at this point, who knows). Slept maybe an hour or two. Now I'm feeling nauseous and awful.

I'm nervous - my acupuncturist is on vacation for three weeks. I can find another place to go in the meantime. Things will be okay. I just felt like I was doing better until yesterday... these backslides suck.

Good to hear from you, Ajay! And I'm glad you had some improvement, even though now it seems like you're on a downslide... I hope it is brief and you regain improvement soon. I can see why you are nervous about the acupuncturist being gone... I feel that way about going away for a month. I hope you find a good alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

Checking in.

Well, I don't know if it's due to the insomnia or the withdrawal or just my brain, but I'm definitely depressed. The insomnia and brain fog has had a pretty big effect on my job performance, and I need to start looking for a new job. On one hand, being around other people (instead of the current office with 1-3 other people at best) could be really helpful for me. On another, I'm very discouraged by so many aspects of the job search (the economy, insecurity about my abilities, etc).

I'm scared, frustrated, and really tired of being really tired. I know I should be patient - I'm around the 11 month mark - but I'm just so sick of feeling discouraged and overwhelmed.

Honestly, if I thought there was any chance that meds would help me, I would try them. I have a doctor's appointment next week. I'm going to ask to have my hormones checked. I guess everything is likely to come up normal, but I didn't want to try DHEA without getting some kind of baseline screen first.

I know benzos are bad (and didn't really work for me more than a few times, but I feel like I need to do something about the lack of sleep).

I called in sick this morning; I'm going to try to take a nap for a bit. I am all blue and discouragement.

• Administrator

I'm sorry, Ajay. Prolonged withdrawal syndrome is very difficult.

Before you leave your job, you might look into their disability coverage first. Have you been paying into a disability insurance plan?

We have a disability plan, but a colleague with the same plan had trouble filing a claim when she had serious medical issues... I'm not sure how I would get a doctor to help me file a claim.