SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Exie 5 years and still not recovered (AD + benzo)

Exie

• Administrator

There are many symptoms in psychiatric drug withdrawal symptoms. Many people have symptoms similar to yours. The head symptom is not specific to either benzo withdrawal or any other kind of psychiatric drug withdrawal.

Look in the Symptoms and Self-care forum for discussions of symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Exie

• Altostrata

• NoMeaning25

• compsports

Top Posters In This Topic

people on the benzo forums (not on this website) have head pressure but different versions than mine. apparently its not from the AD alone. mine is certainly from both cold turkeying the AD then tapering klonopin fast

March 2008 took Tofranil and Klonopin

CT'd Tofranil after few months

simultaneously tapered fast Klonopin, got off it October 2008

• Administrator

Head pressure is not a symptom that is specific to benzo withdrawal or AD withdrawal. Anyone who has withdrawn from psychiatric drugs can have various head symptoms, sometimes described as head pressure.

If people complain of this on benzo forums, it's because it's a general withdrawal symptom.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

its not my head itself, its my CNS. throughout my body it shakes, and causes the neurological pressure and movements in my head.

I repeated some information because people keep thinking of other problems, and its no wonder none of you have the exact same problems because none of you did exactly what I did with both meds. I should've written in the benzo section but I didnt know that was there. I'll ask there now

Exie, I think almost all of us have had that at some point, just not as long as you. No one knows of a solution except taking care of our bodies, minds, and spirits combined with time. You are in a unique situation with chemical exposure plus 2 CTs, but I don't know of another treatment even then.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Might Exie's symptoms be eased by reinstating a very small dose of his AD and benzo then very slowly tapering off???  I realize it's been five years, but it sounds like Exie is really suffering.  I don't know the answer to this question, but maybe someone else out there does.  Exie, my heart goes out to you.  I'm so sorry you've been suffering like this for five! years.  I myself can't imagine five years of severe withdrawal symptoms.  A single day is hard enough...

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

I appreciate everyone's help and information. but I wont reinstate the same meds, It'll set back my recovery. I read of others who reinstated and it made it worse for them. my only consideration is a different anticonvulsant but that could make it worse. I'm too scared of tapering anything all over again anyway

• Administrator

Exie, please look at our Symptoms and Self-care forum

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

Edited by Petu
fixed link

I understand, Exie. I'm so sorry. 

insomnia, anxiety, depression- since childhood

lyme disease, dysautonomia, chiari malformation- dx 4/1997

nortriptyline- 75mg since childhood

clonazepam- 3mg since 4/1997

trazodone-100mg since 4/2013, now tapering

rotating antibiotics and antimalarials for lyme disease

midodrine- 10mg for dysautonomia

repeated skull surgeries for chiari malformation

Exie ..... I may not really understand what you mean by head pressure that is really your CNS? Or what exactly you mean by shaking??

I have been put on both ADs and Benzos and antiseizures and old tricyclics and more.... All simultaneously.... Some being yanked back off with never more than two weeks weaning down. Most replaced by other drugs. All under the care of a neurologist. I don't believe there is anything particularly unique about having been on AD/benzos simultaneously.

However we are all unique in our individual body chemistries as well as how we respond to changes to those individual chemistries.

When I began having "shaking" what I mean is strangers came up to me at the grocery store to ask if I had parkinsons or ms. Friends I had for 20yrs were coming to me asking if I had these! I had been doing massage weekly. But finally had to quit bc I paid for an hour and a half massage.... But the guy spent the entire time laying his torso on top of my body to prevent me from shaking off the table!! I was in pain from trying to hold myself still. Is this what you mean by "normal shaking"??

Or head pressure.... I am not able to understand what you mean by this... Is there any way you could describe it?? Is it like a migraine? Is it positional? Does ice or heat help?

And when you say you can't tolerate foods..... I grew increasingly unable to tolerate foods as the neuro dr put me on/off multiple psyche drugs...

Rapidly changing w/o any tapering at all. For me that means that even water in my mouth would start parastolsis of my bowel and I would begin gushing diarrhea before I could ever reach a toilet.... And would grab anything I could on my way to the bathroom bc the vomiting always hit at the same time!! So during good phases I could eat once (4oz of yogurt or a small apple) one time every week to ten days. Is this what you mean by not able to eat??

I am sorry for all the questions!!! But what you are typing means something to you.... But those terms mean something different for me and for my experience.... And I suspect they will mean something different for someone else in their experience. So my questions are aimed at better understanding what you are experiencing.

One thing to consider in your eating.... I removed all GMOs and known high allergens (even though I have never had any indication of food allergies for the first several decades of my life!!!) from my diet.... And I have begun to tolerate food again!! Corn, soy products, wheat and gluten sources in the US are almost always GMO. I have immediate negative side effects if I do accidentally consume one of these. Maybe you could see an improvement if you removed any of these from your diet??

Withdrawing meds: * lexapro 20mg (?) since maybe winter 2009-10. Self weaned this summer stopping in sept 2013 (I just cut in half for a few weeks, then took every other day then a couple x a week then nothing); *Xanax 0.5mg 4xday (dr cut by 50% twice in 16days oct 5-21st. By late Nov, dropped from 1/2 a 0.5mg tab tid to bid...by dec 1st, I was suicidal. Told dr I had to hold!) am still holding at 1/4 a 0.5mg tab bid since early dec; *sept 9 began buspar 7.5mg bid, raised to 15mg bid oct, nov 23 raised it 30mg am holding pm dose at 15mg. By Dec 11th I knew my liver was heading into failure again... Heart rapidly moving towards stroke levels. BP escalating rapidly towards stroke levels... BP moving past 200/130+ and heart rate hitting 200s everyday after buspar dose. Ribs were burning from being pushed so far out by the swollen liver plus itching severe- needed scissors to scratch deep enough but still itching 24/7. Checked for buspar symptoms I had them all plus a few underlying conditions making buspar contraindicated. For me buspar is literally toxic.

*buspar taper:

~dec 11th dropped from 30mg am/15mg pm to 15mg am/pm

~dec 17th pm dropped to 12.5mg am/pm

~dec 29th pm dropped to 10mg am/pm

~jan 5th pm dropped to 7.5mg am/pm

~jan 7th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm {dropped in only two days under pressure from alto to drop Now... Bc she then realized I was referring to significant organ failures and was dealing with serious side effects not merely inconvenient ones. My w/d side effects spiked}

~jan 8th I raised the pm dose to 6.25mg leaving the am dose at 5mg; stayed at 5mg am/6.25mg pm for a few days

~jan 12th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm

~jan 18th pm dropped to 5mg am/3.75mg pm; experienced a crushing spike in symptoms including liver irritation and "lightening storm headaches" among others. Currently at this dose.

I need to talk about my problems with only people who also took a benzo so I'm going to write in the benzo section, not here anymore. read my post there

• Moderator Emeritus

well, a lot of us here are taking /were taking both ADs and a benzo (and more), me included.

I have also started a separate thread on the benzo-subforum here so now I'm running on 2 threads. It's very hard to separate the two issues.

I'm also struggling with understanding why ocassional pill might be the same as cold turkey rather than giving CNS a break.

This is how Rhi explained it to me during one of my latest escapades of the sort. Now I'm beginning to understand but more taking the word of people who have more experience.

bubble, on 05 Dec 2013 - 2:20 PM, said:snapback.png

I hope you are not disappointed with me that I decided to up Xanax and go on that trip ;( 

think things actually happen without bloody Xanax and it's just my horror that led me to seek refuge there, again ;(  I have 2 more days yet. Things are not easy at work either but I have that attitude of cutting myself slack... And if it comes to that, I'm prepared to cancel the flight due to a sudden illness (which would probably had to be documented then). 

I can't thank you enough for being there for me...

Bubble of course I am not disappointed in you! This is not a contest or a race, this is your life, and you are doing something very hard.

I am concerned about the Xanax simply because it is a drug that can lead to so many more problems for people in withdrawal. It is a short-acting and very addictive drug.  

The level of the drug peaks out in the bloodstream in less than two hours and then begins to drop. As it drops, it often (usually) produces an increase in anxiety, panic attacks, etc. So the Xanax actually can end up causing even more anxiety, and worse anxiety, and panic, than it is helping.

I absolutely, completely understand the desire and the need to do whatever it takes to cope. I do, all the time, myself.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Many resort to an occasional benzo. We don't condemn that. We're warning against letting occasional become too frequent.

I need to talk about my problems with only people who also took a benzo so I'm going to write in the benzo section, not here anymore. read my post there

I am currently on a benzo as well!! It seems many people here have been on both AD and benzos.

I am trying to see if your trouble eating and what you call pressure is similar to what I went thru?? I have not yet met anyone who has had the same symptoms I had.... Mine lasted for over a decade.... So if I could find out what you mean by head pressure and unable to eat and shakes... maybe we would find we have similar reactions?

I would love to find anyone who has experienced those same symptoms bc so far no drs or hospitals in my area knew what was happening. Nor had they ever seen it before.

Withdrawing meds: * lexapro 20mg (?) since maybe winter 2009-10. Self weaned this summer stopping in sept 2013 (I just cut in half for a few weeks, then took every other day then a couple x a week then nothing); *Xanax 0.5mg 4xday (dr cut by 50% twice in 16days oct 5-21st. By late Nov, dropped from 1/2 a 0.5mg tab tid to bid...by dec 1st, I was suicidal. Told dr I had to hold!) am still holding at 1/4 a 0.5mg tab bid since early dec; *sept 9 began buspar 7.5mg bid, raised to 15mg bid oct, nov 23 raised it 30mg am holding pm dose at 15mg. By Dec 11th I knew my liver was heading into failure again... Heart rapidly moving towards stroke levels. BP escalating rapidly towards stroke levels... BP moving past 200/130+ and heart rate hitting 200s everyday after buspar dose. Ribs were burning from being pushed so far out by the swollen liver plus itching severe- needed scissors to scratch deep enough but still itching 24/7. Checked for buspar symptoms I had them all plus a few underlying conditions making buspar contraindicated. For me buspar is literally toxic.

*buspar taper:

~jan 7th pm dropped to 5mg am/pm {dropped in only two days under pressure from alto to drop Now... Bc she then realized I was referring to significant organ failures and was dealing with serious side effects not merely inconvenient ones. My w/d side effects spiked}

~jan 8th I raised the pm dose to 6.25mg leaving the am dose at 5mg; stayed at 5mg am/6.25mg pm for a few days

~jan 18th pm dropped to 5mg am/3.75mg pm; experienced a crushing spike in symptoms including liver irritation and "lightening storm headaches" among others. Currently at this dose.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, unfortunately many people end up on multiple psych drugs. The combination of AD and benzo is one of the most common combinations. I have met many, many people taking both, withdrawing from both. I know that doesn't help ease your suffering any.

I do recommend finding someone to help you read through the other sections in this forum. There is a lot of good information. Gia has had excellent success with an anti-histamine diet. I have done very well with the GAPs diet myself. There are many other things that people have found to help.

I agree with Alto, however, we do not have the staffing (all volunteers with busy lives) or the time to rewrite all of that into this thread only. 

Please see if you can find some way to access all this information and help. There is a huge amount of it here.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Needmylifeback, my cns physically shakes. people on benzobuddies have the same thing, they call it nerve twitches. you can see my thighs and butt shaking/twitching. I'm going to post a new topic in the benzo section soon and I'll explain the other stuff better so read it there

Rhi, unfortunately theres no one who who can look through the other threads for me. instead of rewriting information for me, just giving me the links to threads specific to my problems is good enough. and I know there are others who took both AD and benzo but the ones I've known tapered slowly one of the meds if not both. I got off both fast at the same time. thats different. it shocks the CNS more. Anyway I'm going to write about this in the benzo section so check out my topic there.

And can someone explain why an occasional anticonvulsant would be like c/t instead of calming the CNS? if once a week is too frequent what about trying it only once? would that first time be like c/t?

When I spent six yrs with migraines, caused by a physical injury, the neurologist threw multiple CNS affecting meds at me, and often ripped them away if I showed any signs of stability (wth?!) w/o any tapering or consideration of withdrawal. At one point I simply refused to fill his rxs bc he was making multiple changes to multiple meds so rapidly..... It was impossible to sort out the variables.

But I suspect what has taken me over a decade to recover from was a result of his cocktail of pyshc meds none of which were ever needed to begin with!! Many of the symptoms you refer to sound like they might match what I have just been through!!

But I can't tell bc most people use generalized terms which can mean vastly different things to different people based on their personal experiences.

I too could not eat.... Going on one small "meal" once every 7-10days when I was doing well (meal = small apple OR 4oz yogurt - either would take me all day to get it down going slow enough to not trigger the violent episodes of vomiting/diarrhea that left me incontinent in my early 40s and malnourished bc I was unable to hold and digest food.

I looked throughout the benzo board and cannot find any thread from you there explaining the symptoms you are experiencing from ct an AD and a fast taper from a benzo.

Can you please explain exactly what symptoms you are seeing as a result of this type of w/d??

*buspar taper:

my shaking was never as intense as yours. the only visible nerve twitching/shaking are my legs and butt but the shaking is more feeble now. its always shaking in my stomach too but its not visible because its not as intense. I never had the digestion/vomiting problems either.. the food sensitivities only make my mental/cognitive problems worse and inflames my cns making the neurological pressure severe in my head and the shaking in my body more intense

• Administrator

And can someone explain why an occasional anticonvulsant would be like c/t instead of calming the CNS? if once a week is too frequent what about trying it only once? would that first time be like c/t?

This is a very bad idea. These drugs don't work taken as needed. You could injure yourself doing that. I'm extremely tired of explaining this to you. If you want to do it, go right ahead.

• Administrator

I feel I must mention this, Exie. You demand to be spoonfed information, yet when you get a response, you argue with it. Can you imagine why this would be frustrating to those who are responding to your questions?

I'm not arguing Alto, I'm only questioning it further for more details so I can absolutely sure about it. you and others said before that taking it just occasionally would be harmful but no one explained exactly why (how it works). I'm only asking how that is

to better understand it I mean

• Moderator Emeritus

you and others said before that taking it just occasionally would be harmful but no one explained exactly why (how it works). 

Alto and the senior members here have listened to many, many withdrawal stories and give advice based on what seems to work or not work for the greatest number of people (modern medicine works in largely the same way).  If you're looking for a full fledged theoretical account of the physiology of withdrawal, you won't find that here.  But you won't find it anywhere else either, just as you'll be hard pressed to find a convincing account of how anti-depressants affect the brain and body to begin with.  Withdrawal is almost strictly trial and error, you can draw from other people's accounts or you can stake out on your own, but appealing to theory won't help you much.  We don't know how it all works, nobody does.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

Exie, it would take a PhD a week to answer your questions in the detail you want. We don't have those resources here.

Either do the research yourself or just trust us when we say taking lamotrigine occasionally is a very stupid thing to do.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Did Exie ever get better?  Since Exie was on a tricyclic and a benzo (like me), I'm particularly interested in knowing if Exie ever got better.  Sounds like Exie was suffering over five years later, and I'm concerned that this is the fate that awaits me: the fate of DEVELOPING worse food problems and of my internal muscle tremors never stopping their twitching.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• 8 months later...

*topic moved from symptoms forum

My sleep used to be normal where I would fall asleep and sleep 8 hours straight then wake up. but after breathing a lot of car/motorcycle smog everyday, it messed up the part of my brain that regulates sleep, so my sleep has been not normal for 2 years. I'm sleepy and I fall asleep everyday, but I automatically wake up after sleeping just a few hours, fall back asleep, wake up again after few hours, and again. So I've been waking up and falling back asleep 3 times each night. I don't get 8 hours after waking the 3rd time so I still need more sleep but can't fall back asleep a 4th time because my nervous system is so unrelaxed. About 2 weeks ago though my sleep got worse, some days I can't fall back asleep after waking up the first time and other days I've been sleeping much less each time before waking up multiple times, so I've been getting even less sleep now when I was already so severely sleep deprived. I'm suffering everyday being so severely sleep deprived and it's unbearable, I can't bear it anymore. I do not want to take a psych drug for sleep so I need to try herbal medicines. my problem is STAYING asleep. I read the topic on Melatonin for sleep because I've been thinking of trying melatonin, but Altostrata said it helps to FALL asleep, not stay asleep. Staying asleep is a different problem. so melatonin is only for falling asleep? Has it helped anyone else to STAY asleep? Please let me know of what can help me STAY asleep

Edited by Petunia
added note

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Exie,

Many of us here have various sleep problems, constant waking up through the night is common, I have the same problem, but as I'm recovering, its getting better.

Its true, melatonin doesn't stop you from waking up, but many people find that when they take it, its easier to go back to sleep after waking up.

Some people find that magnesium and taurine help with sleep.

Have a look through this topic, you may find some suggestions, you have to scroll down for the sleep section: Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I believe that the pattern of sleep that you describe is one that occurs with age. I use to sleep (when on meds) from 12am to 6am no wake up and feel fully refreshed. Whilst going through WD it is more a pattern as you have said.  Try not to get anxious about sleep as this will then start the whole sleep anxiety cycle where you feel you can't sleep properly so you wont sleep properly kind of a Self Fulfilling Prophecy.

Namaste.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved the topic you started in the symptoms forum to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically. Please use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Please bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again.

Thank you for adding your signature.  Are you completely drug free now? If so, please would you add the date of your last doses so its easy to tell how long you have been drug free.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm suffering unbearably from SEVERE lack of sleep after a long time, I'm thinking of going to the ER and begging then to put me to sleep a with what they put patients to sleep for surgery because it keeps them staying asleep long. This acute suffering is literally unbearable, my only other option would be suicide but I don't want to do that and I can't bear more suffering it would cause to do. I've been waking up multiple times during my sleep everyday for 2 years without getting enough sleep because I can't fall back asleep again after the third time because my nervous system is too tense, shaking in my legs and stomach and neurological pressure in my head. I've been severely sleep deprived and 2 weeks ago my sleep got more messed up, harder to fall back asleep after the first and second time and sleeping even less. A week ago a neurologist gave me Ativan but I was told by people in withdrawal not to take a benzo because I'm still recovering from one after 7 years and taking one now would make my brain and cns worse. I was told to stay away from Z drugs also because they work similarly to benzos, acting on GABA. But what else is there that would sedate my cns and keep me asleep long without waking up thats not a psych drug and doesn't act on GABA? I tried Circadin prolonged released melatonin but it didnt work, it made it worse (the standard time released melatonin which comes in lower doses is not available in my country). It seems I have no choice but to take a psych drug because its an emergency, if other stuff keeps not working. But I do not intend to take a psych drug everyday because I can't bear the addiction and withdrawal again. But I was told by some people on this forum that taking it just occasionally would damage my nervous system more. But what choice have I? just until I get more sleep so its not unbearable anymore and then find a non psych drug that helps. If I go to a sleep specialist, would they only prescribe meds and drugs? Does anyone know? Or would they look into my brain and and could help out with non drug techniques or something. I just dont know what to do and who to go to. The stuff they give to surgery patients are Z drugs I think. But I also need something that sedates my cns, I'm sleepy all the time but cant fall asleep all day because of my tense cns. Someone said magnesium chloride makes them sleep long without waking up so I gotta try that but magnesium supps doesn't help everyone sleep so in case it doesn't help me, I need advice on the meds and drugs for my situation. Please give me advice if you know some

Have you been completely drug free since 2008? Did the sleeping issues only start 2 years ago??

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Yes I've been drug free for 7 years since I tapered. And my sleep was normal for the first 5 years, insomnia was never a withdrawal symptom for me. my sleep got messed up and not normal 2 years ago after breathing a lot of car/motorcycle smog everyday for like a year. It messed up the part of my brain that regulates sleep. I thought it would return to normal as long as I never breathed it again and after a long time of not breathing it, my sleep got a little better, I slept 6 hrs before waking up, then slept 1 more hour, whereas before that I woke up after less sleep. I breathed smog again which made it worse again but 2 weeks something else made it more worse, not sure what. The smog also made my brain more sensitive to food, and also sensitive to the digital screen like TV, and electronical stuff that gives out electromagnetic waves like the fan. Currently my brain is extra sensitive again from the smog and motor gas so the tv/phone screen started waking me up when I was sleepy and then made my brain more sensitive so that everything I ate and drank has also been waking my brain up so that I'm suddenly not sleepy anymore. So I'm not supposed to be looking at the internet right now but I desperately need help. I've been worrying about this screen thing alot lately and worrying also made my brain more sensitive. Then 2 weeks ago I ate one whole melon which caused an awful weird experience where I felt like someone was going to just appear suddenly in front of me, as if I were a crazy person with mental illness. This same day was when my sleep got worse, so my brain being more sensitive to the whole melon also messed up more the part of my brain that regulates sleep. Before this though, I worried intensely for 2 days which caused apples to cause a similar weird bad feeling, so I feel like worrying so much made my brain more sensitive to my sleep getting more messed up. This smog/motor gas making my brain sensitive to the screen and electronic stuff is strange I know, I've never heard of anyone else having this but thats because everyone else probably doesn't breathe a bunch of smog/motor gas everyday for a long time. It started last year but last year didnt affect my sleep, the screen caused mind fog and breathing labor and more sensitivity to food. The fan also made my brain and cns more sensitive to food. Brain and cns got less sensitive after time passes without being exposed to the screen and electronic stuff (when they're turned on). So after a few months, the screen didnt bother my brain and cns anymore. Where I live theres cars motorcycles going by everywhere outside, so theres smog gas 24/7 outside. I havent been able to move out of the city yet so I've been stuck at home all day everyday for about 2 years now. Never able to go outside. but the smog gas still comes into my house sometimes so I breathed it again. I went to brain neurologist a week ago and did brain MRI and she said my brain is very unstable. I need treatment to make the sleep part of my brain normal but all she did was give me Ativan when I told her I cant bear this severe lack of sleep anymore and thought of suicide

If I go to the ER what would a hypnotic z drug do to me? to my cns. Taking it just once? or a few times.

And if you're knowledgeable of benzos, please tell me what taking a z drug would do to my brain and gaba

I am going to try magnesium chloride and if it doesnt help, then I am going to get hospitalized treatment, i have no choice. I'm just afraid they won't have non psych drugs to help me immediately

I also had exposure to car smog for over a year but i cant remember if it effected me. Im only 39 months drug free

Maybe try epsom salt baths before bed and focus on good sleeping habits. Make sure your room is very dark and noise free. Dont look on your phone or computer/tv screen after 5pm.

I had an epsom salt bath (3 cups epsom salt) in very hot water. I soaked for 20 minutes and it made me feel sleepy. Maybe try that for a few days.

I know how it feels like to be so desperate. Im also desperate in my own situation and sadly no doctor can help me.

I cant tell you if you need to go to the hospital or not or if you need to try a benzo, but benzos do have a rebound effect and you might have a reaction being off so long.

I hope you find relief soon

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

What symptoms do you have except for the above?