SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety, or sensory overload from withdrawal

squirrel

Also see:   ways-to-cope-with-daily-anxiety

This topic has some links to helpful things, as well as a detailed explanation of how anxiety affects different areas of the body

VIDEO:  The FASTEST Way to Stop a Panic Attack - Dr. Berg

Excellent Youtube video

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes) Female voice - getselfhelp.co.uk

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes) Male voice - getselfhelp.co.uk

can anyone explain why I get extreme feelings of fear when there is nothing going on, I am ironing or just pottering about at home. It is dreadful! I can almost feel the adrenaline gushing around my body . It makes my stomach feel tender.I am 6 years off the drug.

Edited by ChessieCat
added more links

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Hi S... well, you're off the drugs and I'm still tapering, but I can relate to the feelings you have, altho I have no idea why they just decide to come around. I usually say something to myself like... self, that's just a feeling, feelings can't hurt, bye now. Believe it or not, I'm soon onto something else, or at least thinking something else. Also, sometimes I turn on the TV, or do something to distract myself.

Charter Member 2011

Squirrel,

Have you had this throughout your w/d or has it just started? I had it very bad for most of my w/d then it reduced itself to just a "creepy" feeling at times. I haven't had it for a long time now.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

hi hopeful , i have had it all the way through in the early years it was almost none stop, do not have it so often but after all this time and to still get it.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Squirrel-

I had that daily for about 4 years in the morning. Now I only get it in the middle of the night if I wake up and can't go back to sleep. Overall I've had a lot of improvement on this front but it's disheartening to be experiencing it this far out. The key for me is to not be swept away by the fear--to realize that it is a chemical glitch and not an indication of a true threat. I try to regard it as a sensation, acknowledge it matter of factly. Almost like I am looking at objectively as something of interest. This sort of distancing has been helpful for me.

Hi Squirrel,

Yes i get that too, i know im recently off, but had it on and off throughout

my taper too, seemed to get worse at the really low doses.

Its a very uncomfortable disturbing symptom, and i hate it, and

as you say, there is never a trigger.

I get fearful of the silliest things, having a shower, so i take a bath,

thats not that comfortable either.

Going out places on my own can make me fearful too,

no wonder they call this the bloody FEAR drug!!!!

You are not alone, im right there with ya buddy!!!!

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

can anyone explain why I get extreme feelings of fear when there is nothing going on, I am ironing or just pottering about at home. It is dreadful! I can almost feel the adrenaline gushing around my body . It makes my stomach feel tender.I am 6 years off the drug.

Hey squirrel-

It's not something I can explain, but I definitely experience it too. I often feel intense fear, that I am in danger, when there is no reasonable threat. And, as others have said, I often wake up with a strong feeling of fear that is undirected. I just wake up with a racing heart and feeling extremely vigilant. Obviously, there's nothing to fear under the covers of my bed!

I wish I had the answer for how to stop this. If you come to one, please let me know of it!

Hope you are feeling well today.

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 1 month later...

I went on Paxil for anxiety in 1997. However the anxiety experienced in withdrawl is in a different league altogether! to be honest I find it very hard to handle as slow deep breaths and self talk just doesn't help.I would be very gratefulfor any tips anyone can give me.

• Administrator

squirrel, I know what you mean.

All you can do is get from minute to minute, step by step. The slow breathing and self-talk help with that.

Are you able to walk 30 minutes a day? Walking helps the nervous system (and other hormonal systems) regulate themselves.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Have you tried something like closing your eyes for just five minutes, and focusing on the black inside your eyelids, and letting go of any thoughts? This is how I started -- just five minutes a day. And, at least that gives your body five minutes of something better. :)

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 3 major panic attacks this week all completly out of the blue and no amount of slow breathing or ignoring the symptoms helped at all. I went on Seroxat for panic attacks but they were brought on by having to wait in a queue in supermaret. Throughout my 6 year withdrawl I have never experienced anything this bad before.

I have had 3 major panic attacks this week all completly out of the blue and no amount of slow breathing or ignoring the symptoms helped at all. I went on Seroxat for panic attacks but they were brought on by having to wait in a queue in supermaret. Throughout my 6 year withdrawl I have never experienced anything this bad before.

Hi Squirrel.......

I think it would be best not to become alarmed by this week's events since, doing so will create anticipatory anxiety and will create additional fears regarding panic attacks.

This could be a one time "spurt" of CNS activity that will leave as quickly as it arrived.

While you may have had a previous history of panic attacks, this does not guarantee of life long pattern. I know many people who have had panic attacks for a spell, never to have any again.

I believe it would be empowering to access some stress management techniques to keep your mind, body and spirit in "calm zone" rather than in a fear mode.

I find that when I spend my time reading, researching and implementing empowering techniques, and applying such, I feel more qualified and thus, more capable of managing whatever symptom may present itself. Fear of any symptom guarantees an increase in suffering, not to mention increase in anticipatory anxiety/fear/stress etc.

It becomes a self-perpetuating cycle if one allows oneself to fall victim to fear.

Be calm, be confident that you will handle whatever is placed in front of you and in the meantime, get busy empowering yourself. This alone will reduce the fear factor to a significant degree since, your mind will be focused on learning and implementing empowering techniques, which BTW are scientifically proven to reduce stress hormones.

There are many wonderful books, CD's and web sites devoted to the subject.

Punar

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

hi Squirrel,

what i can say is : when you are in a queue of supermarket, you have to be busy with something else than world of panic

example thinking about a bottle you buy and looking at the bottle what is written, or take your phone and look at it, color...

light, or singing a beautiful song in your head

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever heard of using Atarax (Hydroxyzine) for anxiety? My sister has been very anxious lately. She hasn't been sleeping well either. Her doctor gave her a 'script for Atarax to help her sleep and to help her with the anxiety. He told her it isn't habit forming. I told her to do LOTS of research before taking it. Does anyone know or have experience using this?

Edited by KarenB
Added bold to reflect title lost during merge.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Dani,

It is an antihistamine used for allergies and anxiety (via sedation is my guess). I don't know how anyone can declare that any chemical effecting CNS is absolutely not problematic, dependence-forming, etc. I believe I was prescribed this for akathisia-type symptoms from a psych med. I don't think I used it.

What other measures has she tried? Magnesium could be a better option. I also believe aromatherapy works well. Diff people respond to diff essential oils (always use pure stuff). Lavendar is popular, but I prefer it with mandarin or a citrus oil which are uplifting to me. Chamomile is also very potent and very pricey oil. If you have a good health Wellness store, they should be able to help you. Try scents for individual reaction. Bach flower essences also popular (Rescue Remedy).

Sorry if that went waay off topic.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Atarax is also a serotonin blocker, meaning it blocks action from serotonin which makes opposite action, increasing serotonin in synaptic cleft.

I had good results from it for my anxiety, but it is also a dopamine blocker (very weak) and can feel a bit inhibited.

Main action is from antihistamine and serotonin. Also have some adrenergic blockade too, which makes more effect.

It is not without risks, but lower than antipsychotics so its better choice if must take anything.

• Administrator

Google is always good for these questions.

The first two entries are the US Federal government http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000796/ and Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxyzine These will give you basic background information.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Atarax is also a serotonin blocker, meaning it blocks action from serotonin which makes opposite action, increasing serotonin in synaptic cleft.

I had good results from it for my anxiety, but it is also a dopamine blocker (very weak) and can feel a bit inhibited.

Main action is from antihistamine and serotonin. Also have some adrenergic blockade too, which makes more effect.

It is not without risks, but lower than antipsychotics so its better choice if must take anything.

Is this something that she could take as needed or will she need to taper?

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• 1 year later...

** merged from The anxiety symptom - does it ever go away? **

there anyone who would like to participate in this thread.  I need to get to the bottom of the anxiety merry-go-round. 

It is a huge symptom of a taper.  I've had it for years. Tapering, not tapering and I have tried to care for myself in various ways to "get to the bottom of it."  Change things, change what I am doing.  You name it.  Prayer, meditation, exercise, supplements.  And I still have it.

It is the biggest symptom I have ever had.  Insidious symptom.

Another reason I am putting this out there is because I don't know if the medications may be a big culprit at this point in time.

I had uncontrollable anxiety which led me to take Pamelor.  It was there before meds.  Pamelor helped quite a bit.  I was able to do therapy, an inventory and practice techniques to quell anxiety.  But I never got rid of it.

This led to paxil, which really put the anxiety/depression to rest.  But and I mean But....any deviation in Paxil brought on an anxiety the likes of which were not to be believed.

This was (I guess) a chemically induced anxiety and it scared the daylights out of me which in turn may have led to more anxiety.

I took Lexapro and it helped with anxiety and then it stopped working and the anxiety was incapacitating. I tapered Lexapro over a course of two years and had awful WD anxiety.

Enter - imipramine which brought it down a bit.  Lots of life changes which brought on anxiety/deression which I think was probably normal.

Tapering Celexa - anxiety.

I am in a quandry over whether I am 'damaged' somehow and stuck with anxiety.  It's been years!

Why didn't the meds do the job they were supposedly designed to do.

So now.....I have anxiety (some of it from stress) but I have never been able to get rid of it.  Is it related to medications and they are the problem?

Do people get off medications and their anxiety lessen??????

Are there others dealing with this and what are your thoughts.  I honestly don't know if I should try to get off of this stuff (Celexa -yes and Impramine) or take something else because I will always have anxiety :unsure:

Edited by ChessieCat

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Nikki,

Have you looked at the Overcoming anxiety/panic thread that Ranger started on PP?  During the times it hit me, I found that thread very helpful.

Basically, it takes the attitude that if you welcome anxiety, you give it less power and it doesn't stay as long.  Of course your mileage will vary.

You're definitely not damaged goods. I think everybody is different and it just a matter of coming with coping tools that work for you.

CS

Edited by ChessieCat

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I've had nxiety all my life.

I know what the root of my anxiety is though, it's my upbringing.

I only know about benzo withdrawal, and have never come across antidepresant withdrawal till I came here.

Benzo withdrwal anxiety is caused by down regulation of GABA receptors, which must upregulate before we can function without excessive anxiety. This is a very loose description, just based on what I have read about benzo withdrawal in the four years I have been suffering it.

I know antidepressants also work on other receptors, but I don't know the biological processes and mechanics behind what happens to the receptos AD's work on, when the drug is withdrawan.

I would like to learn what goes on mechanically, to the receptors after AD's are reduced or withrawn.

I'm coming off the last of my valium using a daily cut, which is working out better for me, personally, than using bigger cuts of 5-10% monthly etc.

From my experience, though, I know that worrying about permanent damage can just add to the anxiety.

I tried CBT when in acute withdrawal, but didn't feel any benefit, however, once I had tapered away the nastiest of the withdrwal symptoms, I was able to get some benefit from CBT, and am more able to apply the tools I got, whereas before it just didn't touch me.

The worry tree is one such tool, it's excellent, and this is helping me get through the days in a much comfier way than before.  Here it is http://www.docstoc.com/docs/117136177/handout-worry-tree

Edited by ChessieCat

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

Nikki, on mercola.com he often talks about EFT, Emotional Freedom Technique. It is to release energy blockages, I guess somewhat like acupuncture for the brain. Just brainstorming.

Edited by ChessieCat

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank you.....

I have done everything and anything. 

I was thinking about this today and let me re-phrase.  Do the drugs cause a 'mis-fire' of sorts, a brain chemistry change that causes a 'glich' or a 'missing chip' which causes the anxiety.

In other words, is AD medication the actual cause after being on them for so many years?

I take two meds and have anxiety.  When I was on one med I had anxiety.  That's why I am wondering if ssri's actual cause the problem they were intended to handle.

I am beginning to think they do...

Edited by ChessieCat

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Nikki,

You've just done a really rapid taper from Celexa, 50% over a few months, so your anxiety may be especially bad right now.  I'm glad you decided to hold where you are for a while.

I don't think that antidepressants actually cause anxiety since they function by dulling the emotions, but coming off of them, especially too quickly, can certainly cause anxiety.

Edited by ChessieCat

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Jemima thank you for the reminder....yes I am tapering, although on a holding pattern right now.

I just shared this with two members and I'd like to run it by the site.

I took a book out of the library about Anxiety.  I realized that everything they discussed was pertinent years ago, not now.

I answered no to the majority of questions.  Years back I would have answered yes to just about all of them.

So I am realizing that I've passed all of that stuff.  I am not agoraphobic, not afraid of public speaking, not claustraphobic, not afraid of having a heart attack from palpitations, not afraid of losing control, etc.

I have adrenal dumps, or bangs as some people call them.  In looking back I think over the last few years I was struggling with a stagnate economy, my daughter's illness and an aging parent, bills, job, alimony, etc.  All anxiety producing.

Maybe the anxiety was a normal reaction to such stressful and scary times.

I take two meds.  Don't like it much and think there are problems brought on  by my meds.

And......Jemima you are probably right, these adrenaline dumps may be from a taper.

I have noticed that on lower doses of Celexa, about two weeks after a drop I have more clarity and some more confidence.

Right after a drop of have brain fog and memory loss.  Fortunately it does turn around.

Thanks guys....needed to hash this out

Edited by apace41

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Nikki, you always post good things...but it's always clear if this is Nikki-feeling-a-cut or Nikki-recovered-from-a-cut. And some day it will be Nikki-a-success-story.

Edited by ChessieCat

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I notice that situational things bring it on big time.  For me this is an enigma.  It feels like the anxiety is at a cellular level.  Do people just have anxiety their whole lives?

I will go over the PP and check out the Ranger post.  Thank you.  EFT is good stuff.  Was recently seeing a therapist who was doing hat tpe of therapy and it wasn't helpful.  I did do this with another therapist when I was going thru the Lexapro taper and she was really good at it.

My daughter is finally returning to work.  The last few months with her not working has been financially draining and I think that may have brought on alot of the anxiety.  And yes tapering.....does it ever end.

Edited by ChessieCat

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

How do you find the overcoming anxiety and panic by Ranger? What is PP? I am new to all of this. Am thrilled to have found this site with all of the good info. I too have been anxious most of my life. It's almost like your body is trained to be that way & we have to retrain it to be in a more relaxed state. Blessings to all of you!!

Edited by ChessieCat

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

I had my bouts of anxiety but it was 100 fold on the psyche drugs and worse tapering (due to akathsia) and I didn't know the drugs was causing it. It's leveled out now being drug free. I think we'll recognize what is what after all is done which is what happened to me.

One thing that did help me when I tapered was visualization where I took the pain/issue and put it aside. Plus relaxation CD's was wonderful.

Edited by ChessieCat

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

Hi Zoe...nice to meet you.  No I have not yet checked out the post by Ranger. 

Aria how long have you been drug free?  I think you helped to answer my question. 

You said "I had my bouts of anxiety but it was 100 fold on the psyche drugs and worse tapering (due to akathsia) and I didn't know the drugs was causing it. It's leveled out now being drug free. I think we'll recognize what is what after all is done which is what happened to me."

This is what I have been tring to figure out for years now.  I have anxiety on meds, and yes tapering does bring it on too.

I know that I want to get off of this stuff.  The short term memory loss when tapering scares me to think about dementia.  I can vascilate during the day about getting off meds and/or trying another med.  Truthfully I just want off the stuff.

Here is another question related to your reply Aria.....Does or did your medication quiet your anxiety and/or depression?

Did it help?

I message I seem to get on the support group sites is that it did not help as much as expected.

Hugs

Edited by ChessieCat

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

The drugs actually exaserbated all my problems and I suffered terribly from them. I was on up to Xanax 10 mg a day for poly drug side effects but the pdoc thought it was all ME. I sucessfully tapered 8 yrs ago. If you read my Intro you'll see what I went through. Now people comment on my natural quietness when before on drugs many thought I was manic or on speed.

I think our bodies must adjust to being off the drugs to find thier own levels. I still have times of stress-anxiety but it's from outside sources (like car troubles). On drugs this issue would had been perceived as much worse and I would had fixated on it to the point I couldn't sleep.

Edited by ChessieCat

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

I have anxiety [OCD] over all sorts of things. I was on Prozac for 8 months then stopped it cold turkey. It took revenge by giving me PSSD which has now lasted for 1 & half year. 

Anyways; as soon as I went off Prozac my anxiety went off the roof. But since past couple of months I am more relaxed then I have been on any meds. My anxiety [OCD] on the thing that bothered me the most has reduced considerably. The bad side is that I get depressed over the PSSD.

They say that anxiety never truly goes away but my experience says it can be controlled to a significant level. I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. But it won't come to you. You have to walk towards it.

Edited by ChessieCat

They say that anxiety never truly goes away but my experience says it can be controlled to a significant level. I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. But it won't come to you. You have to walk towards it.

I agree about "walking towards it" to handle anxiety drug free.

Edited by ChessieCat

I rarely experienced anxiety prior to SS/NRIs. I perceived a sense of control over my life circumstances that turned to not only anxiety, but FEAR, during withdrawal (past and current). It's so foreign to me and adds to my loss of sense of self (and COURAGE as Nikki mentioned in one thread). I ran across this explanation of the fight or flight response and how fear predominates when adrenaline, noradrenline and cortisol are outa whack. I'm NOT suggesting that others have adrenal issues, but that some might relate to this description because our autonomic nervous systems are in chaos. Most of this is (for me) done on a subconscious level. "When our fight or flight system is activated, we tend to perceive everything in our environment as a possible threat to our survival. By its very nature, the fight or flight system bypasses our rational mind—where our more well thought out beliefs exist—and moves us into "attack" mode. This state of alert causes us to perceive almost everything in our world as a possible threat to our survival. As such, we tend to see everyone and everything as a possible enemy. Like airport security during a terrorist threat, we are on the look out for every possible danger. We may overreact to the slightest comment. Our fear is exaggerated. Our thinking is distorted. We see everything through the filter of possible danger. We narrow our focus to those things that can harm us. Fear becomes the lens through which we see the world. We can begin to see how it is almost impossible to cultivate positive attitudes and beliefs when we are stuck in survival mode. Our heart is not open. Our rational mind is disengaged. Our consciousness is focused on fear, not love. Making clear choices and recognizing the consequences of those choices is unfeasible. We are focused on short-term survival, not the long-term consequences of our beliefs and choices. When we are overwhelmed with excessive stress, our life becomes a series of short-term emergencies. We lose the ability to relax and enjoy the moment. We live from crisis to crisis, with no relief in sight." Link to artivle / website: http://www.thebodysoulconnection.com/EducationCenter/fight.html The BodySoul Connection Neil Neimark, MD NOT an endorsement of any products or treatments linked to article!

Edited by ChessieCat

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Ihateprozac and aria.....while reading your responses I thought back in time and yes, I had bouts of anxiety and they were 'blips'.

I did however have a meltdown from anxiety/depression in 1995/96.  I also had EBV and didn't know what the heck was wrong with me.

Once again, thinking back I do think the meds may have change the nature of anxiety. Like Barbara said it became something different.  Not a blip. Barb your explanation was spot on.  Expecially the last two paragraphs.

It did change and become distorted.  It was no longer regular anxiety.  It morphed into something very different.  Something that 'we' understand.  I fed it with more drugs or different drugs.

I believe the drugs and the WD from drugs changed things.  Like I said a mis-fire in the brain/adrenals.  And Heaven forbid stress enters the picture of life.....it is like dread and death are looming. 

Yes there is alot in here.  Thank you so much.  In my-heart-of-hearts I believe drugs have morphed the anxiety into what it is.  Far from what it was.

I did read on this site somewhere (a link) about some of us who were on drugs for a long time, may not be able to get off of them because of the reason we were discussing in addition to the effects of WD. 

For me.....being busy, immersed and involved helps me a great deal.  In three nights I read "Inferno" by Dan Brown.  I was immersed in it, and googled alot of the topics in the book, like Florence, Venice, Michelangelo, etc. and the immersion helped me to sleep and keep myself thinking about new things.  Takes a long time to get off of these drugs.  Thank goodness for libraries:)

Edited by ChessieCat

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 1 month later...

How can you tell the difference between withdrawal anxiety and GAD? I was diagnosed with Gad/PTSD. I have been microtapering in the last months off Effexor generic. At my highest dose (150mg for 6 weeks) anxiety shot up, I then cut my dose to 75mg. The anxiety lowered about 80%. Since then anxiety has been stable with only situational anxiety on a couple days. I've had all other WDs, but now I'm experiencing anxiety again. It just came unexpectedly a few days ago. It started with a few hours during the afternoon. Yesterday was all day since mid morning. I had put a hold on tapering due to headaches, 2 weeks ago I started to taper again but I only cut .75mgs. Can that be the culprit? It is such a small decrement. When I was cutting of 10-7% monthly I didn't feel like this although I had nausea, dizziness etc. Please give me any information.

Edited by ChessieCat

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy