SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety, or sensory overload from withdrawal

squirrel

** merged from The anxiety symptom - does it ever go away? **

Have you considered switching to prozac and tapering from that instead. I heard that can work better than tapering from effexor. Perhaps there is more information on this site or others could comment.

I'm thinking the anxiety that has cropped up might be more of a wave, rather than directly related to the last  decrement.  Symptoms seem to be cyclical. You might get into a window soon, in another few days.  Let's hope!  Just my thoughts.

Edited by ChessieCat

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

Well the anxiety lasted a day. My anxiety has always been there like a background noise but this anxiety from WDs is so much worse. I'm so afraid to switch meds. On Prozac I felt so depressed, I never felt like that before starting meds. I would try it until I'm a small dose. Thanks for your input.

Edited by ChessieCat

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Lexy your question has stumped me for years.  The only time my anxiety was stopped was when I took Paxil back in the 90's.  It worked on anxiety and depression. I had a meltdown at the time which led me to take it.  However I gained 50 pounds.

During tapers, I discovered that some drops were worse than others.  Without a doubt tapering brings on anxiety/depression/crying and a myriad of other symptoms.....it really stinks.

Effexor is a tough med in WD much like Paxil.  For me Prozac was so bad for anxiety.  I took it for one week before I was put on paxil.  Very bad experience for me.

I am currently tapering from Celexa and then onto a taper for Imipramine while weaning onto Serzone.  Hopefully this will work out for me.  Lexy I am so sick of anxiety.

I have been reading for some time now that anxiety and medication are at an all time record high.  The world as we once knew it changed and that change had alarming effects of feelings of security. It seems to be a global issue.

I am learning how to pray for me.  To be healed and move on without fear.  I started to attend a 12Step Support Group for adults who were raised in unstable, abusive dysfunctional home or alcoholic homes.  It has been difficult but I realized as was posted above that I probably had anxiety at a very young age.....two maybe three.

When it starts that young it is almost on a cellular level.  My purpose in doing this program is to Heal.....and Heal some more and maybe with the right medication and work on myself I can beat anxiety......

This is my hope for anyone else who suffers from it's effects.

Edited by ChessieCat

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

In case it’s not clear to anyone, I often write and share about that which I am learning or struggling with myself. This is how the blog is as helpful and vital to me as it is to anyone else. Today I needed to visit this page while I confront some fear that seems lodged deep in my body. Trauma becomes embodied. The way that psych drug withdrawal manifests for many of us in the long run is that the autonomic nervous system is seriously out of whack. That is often experienced (in part) as physiological terror. It’s iatrogenic in nature, but I’ve learned that it also can be dealt with as though it were very real FEAR. Because basically there is no separation. This is how our psyche understands it so it’s helpful for us to handle it that way as well. Physical and emotional become blurry once we embrace things from a holistic space allowing for body/mind/spirit involvement. And so I’m going to share this page here on the blog again as well. That we might all learn to approach our fear with compassionate mindful attention. This was first shared a year ago.

Anxiety is basically a clinical term for fear which everyone at one time or another experiences with or without a diagnosis of some sort of anxiety “disorder.” Psychiatry pathologizes much of the normal human experience and in opposing fashion fear and/or anxiety is often referred to in Buddhism and other alternative philosophies as normal. Which is why many techniques to cope with anxiety have been inspired by Buddhism.  There are many methods to learn how to be with these normal feelings, whether they’re very intense or not. As individuals some of us may be more prone to more intensity than others. We can all work with whatever it is we experience.

In general this blog supports embracing and potentially transforming all our emotions. That is how we come to know who we are. The whole spectrum of our emotional lives are of value. It’s a shame that we learn to call many of our emotions negative and in keeping with that we try to numb them out in various ways, including with the use of both legal and illegal drugs. It is in resisting our shadow or difficult parts that those emotions we fear grow bigger! That is the sad paradox.

I’ve put together a page with some of the posts on fear and anxiety that have been posted on Beyond Meds in the last few years. I will add to it as is appropriate or when I remember other old pieces from the archives. This page will be part of the drop-down menus at the top of the page so that the archives might be accessed.

The Collection
● Fear and death: how it’s all part of life
● Love and fear are the same energy
● You can’t heal what you don’t feel – by Nicole Urdang – There are many ways people try to avoid unpleasant feelings, and addictions top the list. Engaging in obsessive-compulsive or addictive behavior pushes unpleasant thoughts and feelings out of conscious awareness. Sometimes, that can seem like paradise; unfortunately, the long-term negative effects outweigh the short-term gains of numbness and forgetting, as once the drug or activity is over, all those painful feelings come back. Let’s face it, if addictions really worked, we would all be addicts. Who doesn’t want a bit of relief from life’s stresses? The problem is they are a short-term fix. It takes great courage to move through dark emotions but ignoring them, or sweeping them under the cognitive rug, just makes them less accessible for healing.
● Befriend your fear/anxiety
● If we are honest with ourselves, most of us will have to admit that we live out our lives in an ocean of fear
● Become aware of your anxiety/panic/fear and heal yourself – Why is it assumed that people need remain unaware of their physiological experience? This is exactly what meditation can attend to. It’s called “mindfulness” for a reason. It’s entirely possible to become aware of our bodies, minds and psyches.
●  On Fear (or some call it anxiety) and Fearlessness
●  Terror wants to be integrated
●  Don’t give fear a thought – By Robert Augustus Masters — “When fearfulness infects you, neither avoid it nor let it recruit your mind. Don’t give it a thought.
Approach the infected areas with care. No antibiotic heroics, no psychosurgical wizardry, just ordinary everyday caring.
Touch the infection with undivided attention, while letting the raw reality of it touch you, penetrate you, shake you more awake. Make contact, intimate contact, allowing it to breathe, allowing to it vibrate, sound off, even grieve. Stop treating it like an adversary or disease.
When approached with sufficient care, fearfulness helps fuel our entry into a quality of openness wherein we cannot be threatened.”
●  Yoga for your health and wellbeing, helps with your heart and anxiety and depression – with direction for some easy yoga postures
●  Musings on anxiety…
●  The uses of anxiety and panic – By Al Galves
●  Yoga: changing the brains stressful habits – “Yoga can supposedly improve depressive symptoms and immune function, as well as decrease chronic pain, reduce stress, and lower blood pressure.  These claims have all been made by yogis over the years, and it sounds like a lot of new age foolishness. Surprisingly, however, everything in that list is supported by scientific research.

It may sound like magic that posing like a proud warrior or a crow could have such extensive effects, but it’s not magic.  It’s neurobiology.  This next statement may sound to you either profound or extremely obvious, but it comes down to this: the things you do and the thoughts you have change the firing patterns and chemical composition of your brain.  Even actions as simple as changing your posture, relaxing the muscles on your face, or slowing your breathing rate, can affect the activity in your brain (beyond, of course, the required activity to make the action).  These changes are often transient, but can be long-lasting, particularly if they entail changing a habit.”

And this is a collection of links and commentary that looks at embracing whatever comes.Whatever we are experiencing including fear and anxiety:  the PRACTICE of embracing everything: The foundation of healing mental distress and of becoming a mature human adult.

Also of potential interest: ●●  Trauma and PTSD Info  ●●  Benzodiazepine Info
original post http://wp.me/p5nnb-a2T

Edited by Petunia
fixed text

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

hi there Nikki! how are you doing so far? i can relate to being an anxious person since i was a child. i also grew up in a very dysfunctional family and was severely traumatized because of it. what other things do you do to cope with depression/anxiety? like supplements and exercise and other things? thanks. 

Edited by ChessieCat

Dec 2012 tried 10 mg Lexapro caused panic attack 

titrated 5 mg, and finally settling at 2.5 mg for some time

Jan-May 2013 on and off carelessly experimented on doses from 1.5 mg to as high as 12.5 mg 

June 2013 had extreme anxiety/panic attacks/paranoia when I ran out of samples.

July 7 2013 - August 10 2013 went back to 2.5 mg to relieve the anxiety and it worked until i felt restless and agitated

August 11 2013 AD-free and substituted with 5-HTP and it seemed to work together with GABA after I read "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross 

dec 20, 2013 switched to 5mg Valium from 0.25mg-0.5mg xanax daily and felt better

dec31 3.75mg V

• 2 months later...

I read many people on here in withdrawal (including myself) mention anxiety or intense anxiety as one of their symptoms of withdrawal.  What type are we talking about?  I kind of find it hard to put my finger on mine; I dont obsess, im not afraid of being in public, I dont worry about anything in specific constantly, and while I do get many limited symptom panic attacks from this all, I still dont recognize what type I have.  What it is is a constant intense nervous feeling sometimes worse than other times; a "charged" feeling that seems to amplify any negative or neutral thought by 10 fold, causing irrational fear and dread, which makes no sense.  This will sound odd, but I remember looking at the sun doing down, then thinking of my parents driving to a store where they were going that night, and feeling serious panic and dread with no specific reason at all.  

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

December 2010 - reinstated 75mgs Effexor XR, felt no better months later

January 2011 - Began 5% taper every month

2012 - Anxiety began improving by had many windows and waves

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2016 - Fear, anxiety began to wane

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

December 2020 - Now at ~31mgs Effexor XR, 5mgs Crestor 

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

For me it has been a worsening of OCD (both obsessional and compulsive) to the point where it seriously hinders my daily life and has changed me profoundly. I also have a moderate to high level of generalized anxiety throughout the day. It makes me feel ill and exhausted at times.

I'm almost 2 years removed from my medication use....and kind of at loss as to what to do about it.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Someone wrote once that anxiety has one hundred faces. I don't feel nervous, but my brain is really busy and I can't concentrate (leading to a bajillion posts here). But I remember the winter of my coming apart, 4 pm dusk and the approaching schoolbus filled me with dread and a sense of not being able to cope. My neighbor suggested making hot tea then and it actually helped.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

For me it was waking up with massive panic attacks every morning for months, with the high anxiety remaining all throughout the day. During this time, I became agoraphobic in that I was scared to go outside (due to fear of more huge panic attacks). The level of anxiety has lessened greatly, and I can go outside again now. However, I still have niggling anxiety level and am scared to be on my own when I feel very faint or in lots of pain. I'm effectively having to re-train myself that I'm ok on my own and that nothing bad is going to happen to me if I go out despite feeling anxious or ill. It's a very slow process, but I am making progress. At one point I wouldn't go in cars at all. Now I can cope sort of in cars, and am trying to be able to use buses/trains/planes again.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

See?  And this is what I mean...  All of you have a known form of anxiety which is OCD, panic disorder and GAD (Worry).  But I have none of those.  Granted, every now and then I get a limited panic attack, which is less than 4 symptoms at a time, but I also have this nervous and scared and feelings of dread for no reason whatsoever.  It usually starts right up about 2 hrs after I awake, and then disappears by 830pm like clockwork.  Lately there are some nights where it lasts beyond 830, but its still much lower than the day.  Could this be a constant state of low grade panic?

On Venlafaxine XR 75mg > 20 years, because a general MD decided to try these new "calming pills" taken from his sample closet because my pulse was a little high since I get nervous going to the doctor.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

September 2010 - Sudden onset of EXTREME anxiety, constant terror and fear that got marginally better at night.  I had no idea what or why this was; had no idea it was the quitting of Effexor. 

January 2014 - Fell back into sudden onset of same anxiety, fear as in 2010; realized I was tapering too quickly.  I was not allowing withdrawal effects to dissipate before another taper.  Began 2% taper every 6 to 8 months

2017, 18 & 19 - Constant Fear & anxiety stopped, just occasional minor bouts that lasted 3 days or so

November 2022 - Added 6% minoxidil and 0.3% finasteride topical. Used for a year. Got systemic side effects. Quit 11/19/2023. Also intermittently used 10 to 20mgs propanolol for adrenaline surges/pvcs. Stopped them also on 11/19/2023.

• Moderator Emeritus

John,

I think I understand what you mean and its what I get.  Is this a very physical feeling in your body, not caused by thoughts, but then fearful thoughts arise in response to it?

If I had to describe it in terms of physical sensations I would say its like inner shaking/trembling, feeling of electrical buzzing, a kind of clenching gripping sensation in my stomach, waves of nausea like sensations, constant feeling of pressure in head and body, increased senses as if I'm primed to detect any change in my environment to detect danger.  Nothing I do decreases it.  But at a certain time in the day, usually for me, around mid afternoon I suddenly notice it reduce and within about an hour I'm feeling more normal.  On bad days it will last all day and not go away until 8 or 9pm, but usually for me, I'm getting significant relief by about 5pm.

If I wake up early, before its light, its not there, but for me, it starts to arise with the sun.  At the moment, for me its at its morning peak about 8am, during the winter months (I'm in Australia), it seemed to reach its morning peak about 10am.

This is actually a common pattern in withdrawal and its connected with the natural cortisol cycle.  Is this what you are experiencing?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

John,

I think I understand what you mean and its what I get.  Is this a very physical feeling in your body, not caused by thoughts, but then fearful thoughts arise in response to it?

Yes, exactly.  Mind you, I never had this in my life until I took these blasted pills and got off them.

This is actually a common pattern in withdrawal and its connected with the natural cortisol cycle.  Is this what you are experiencing?

Absolutely.  Finally someone like me!  If you looked at my other post, my saliva cortisol levels at 10am and 1230pm are about 7 times higher than normal!  Like you, intrusive thoughts arent the cause, its the cause that makes these horrible feelings.  By the way, how long have you been feeling like this?

June 2010 - Cold turkey

See?  And this is what I mean...  All of you have a known form of anxiety which is OCD, panic disorder and GAD (Worry).  But I have none of those.  Granted, every now and then I get a limited panic attack, which is less than 4 symptoms at a time, but I also have this nervous and scared and feelings of dread for no reason whatsoever.  It usually starts right up about 2 hrs after I awake, and then disappears by 830pm like clockwork.  Lately there are some nights where it lasts beyond 830, but its still much lower than the day.  Could this be a constant state of low grade panic?

John before I even got to this post.....my first thought was DREAD.  In WD I get adrenaline dumps or surges which are sometimes uncontrollable. I don't have agoraphobia and I function very well.  Work hard, love to laugh, have many friends, but when anxiety gets bad in WD I tend to isolate.

I get what you and Petu are talking about....First comes the feeling in my solar plexus and then the Oh No thoughts.

And then sometimes I get the thoughts and then the feelings arise.

Crazy how we have been affected....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Absolutely.  Finally someone like me!  If you looked at my other post, my saliva cortisol levels at 10am and 1230pm are about 7 times higher than normal!  Like you, intrusive thoughts arent the cause, its the cause that makes these horrible feelings.  By the way, how long have you been feeling like this?

I haven't had my cortisol levels checked, but I suspect that they are high.  I also think part of the problem is increased sensitivity to even normal levels and functions in the body.

I've been like this since November 2011.  The pattern has remained constant, but the intensity of symptoms has fluctuated.  The first 8 months was the worst, I was hardly calming down enough to sleep.  I've had windows of improvement lasting 2 -3 months, but its fairly bad again now and seems to be starting earlier in the morning so its effecting my dreams and sleep.

I'm recovering though, even though its worse at the moment than it was a few weeks ago, its still no where near as bad as it was 2 years ago.

Have a look at this thread: "I hate cortisol mornings"

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2144-i-hate-cortisol-mornings/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I have all that and more. I am now 17 months off effexor.  My level of anxiety used to be 'facing a firing squad' level. I am now more functional but most days have at least the internal vibration / tightness in solar plexus, belly and or heart area - sometimes to the point of true painfulness. I have also had: feelings of heart palpitations, uneven breathing, horrible sparkly nerve firings throughout my body for hours at a time, muscle twitching, body jerks, shaky voice, weakness, trouble with jerky gait when walking (only noticeable to myself). These sparkly shock like nerve firings have come up lately while my mood and thinking seems to be getting more normal.   

Does anyone else have these nerve firings?  It's almost like having some kind of a seizure.  It's pretty scary.  Could it be a later stage of WD recovery or some other problem altogether?

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

Ditto what Petu described. I've been in a horrible wave since the holidays which were terribly stressful.

I have not done saliva cortisol, but my serum cortisol is very LOW at the 8am draw and remains low - normal later in day (should be highest in early morning). I still have the early morning panic awakenings and slight improvement later in day (this improvement has lessened with this wave and severe insomnia). I am almost 3 years post Pristiq.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Ditto what Petu described. I've been in a horrible wave since the holidays which were terribly stressful.

I have not done saliva cortisol, but my serum cortisol is very LOW at the 8am draw and remains low - normal later in day (should be highest in early morning). I still have the early morning panic awakenings and slight improvement later in day (this improvement has lessened with this wave and severe insomnia). I am almost 3 years post Pristiq.

Low cortisol could cause you not to handle stress too well.  We need higher levels in the morning to wake up properly, and to handle stress.

June 2010 - Cold turkey

• 2 months later...

Hi - I came on the site this morning to talk about anxiety or ask about it.  I have it all the time. It is very disheartening.

This is when the thought comes in about finding something to stop the anxiety.  Giving up, stop WDing and find a medicine that can stop all of this.

It's been years.  It could be the meds, the way I think, situations or is this how I am going to be for the rest of my life?

With anxiety, everything is monumental - crisis - or I procrastinate due to fear.  It can cause me to become frozen.

I have a terrible time getting up in the mornings.  I wake up, don't fee well rested, want to go back to sleep, ad the anxiety begins so I really don't sleep.  I get ready for the day, come on here and FB....Read daily readers, say some prayers and still have it.

Omorfi I honestly don't have any advise for you and can't seem to stop it myself. 

It is worse in WD. 

How to stop anxiety does anyone know??????

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Hi, this is my first

Well, the first time I had a major panic attack and anxiety attack the doctor put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me.

Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I’m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, i'm a new person. Read this article, it helped me a lot : panicsolutionkey.com

• Administrator

We have many topics about withdrawal-induced anxiety in the Symptoms and Self-care forum. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

For me, fear is different than anxiety although probably from same source.

A few extremes I've experienced during withdrawal vs not in withdrawal:

- fear of being alone vs needing/enjoying time alone

- fear of travel vs LOVE of travel, alone, pretty much anywhere (I avoid East LA. ;) )

- fear of loved ones dying and being unable to care for myself vs being extremely independent

Just a few that really effect my life and thinking.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

When I was poly drugged I had fear and sadness more than I had off the drugs. When I started tapering the fear, hyperventilating, wondering what was coming around the corner and panic escalated slamming me against the wall. I knew on one level it was from tapering but it still was awful. It went away soon after I finished my tapering. Do you have a good friend or family member you can talk to? It helped me to write down how I felt in a journal. Keep posting about how you feel here and the wonderful members will help you through this. Having symptoms worsen when you taper happens and scares us into staying on the drugs thinking "this is all me not the drugs". You can always taper slower and hold that amount for a while?  I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• 2 weeks later...

I am three weeks into xyprexa withdrawal and I have anxiety that is worsening and depression. I am afraid of everything now. I wasn't like this before. But, I feel like I maybe can't do this.... Even though I never felt myself on the medication. Can anyone help? Is this just me?

when i first came off my drug i had EXTREMLY high aniexy and fear and panicattacks daily.. its very normal in withdrawing.

I was just like you, i was afraid of everything, everything triggered panicattacks in me, i coudnt do much then just stay at home alone , i felt so scared many times, hate that feeling..

how are u feeling now?

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

Why am I afraid of going to sleep?  I stay up way too late at night, just putting off going to sleep.  I only

got a couple hrs of sleep last night because I had to get up early and take my granddaughters to school.

Now I've been lying here for hours, sleepy, but can't let myself fall asleep.  I think it's anxiety I'm afraid of.

I get anxious when I try to sleep in the daytime.  I hope this passes soon.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

I'm almost 3 years off Pristiq and a paralyzing fear can be triggered in an instant. Today, I turned on phone and couldn't get to parts of it....the format of facebook was completely different. My mind went crazy.... how will I find people's phone numbers in an emergency? etc. This so so unlike me and that alone scares me. I'm only now starting to calm down.

Three years is a long time to live with that. Its really exhausting. I hope you get relief soon.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

For me, fear is different than anxiety although probably from same source.

- fear of travel vs LOVE of travel, alone, pretty much anywhere (I avoid East LA. ;) )

- fear of loved ones dying and being unable to care for myself vs being extremely independent

Just a few that really effect my life and thinking.

this is me exactly. i just keep waiting for it to pass but know it won't be for awhile. :( do you see this lightening up for you? 

as for travel, I'm starting to sometimes get a few windows of it but i definitely am not at a point where i want to sit in a car for many hours or let alone hop on a plane. i am at a point where i can sometimes go to nearby places, half day trips. I'm kinda stuck being alone during the day. sometimes I'm okay, other times I'm just trying to get through until the husband gets home. all of this is worse in the mornings.

i would drive my husband nuts with all the travel and day trips i wanted to do and i used to crave taking days off and getting stuff done and being alone. i lived alone most of my adult life. i know the person i am now is not me but a person filled with fear. I'm blaming withdrawal for this and hope i will be back to who i am again once this is over. its going to take a lot of work to unravel this mess. :/

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

this is me exactly. i just keep waiting for it to pass but know it won't be for awhile. :( do you see this lightening up for you?

as for travel, I'm starting to sometimes get a few windows of it but i definitely am not at a point where i want to sit in a car for many hours or let alone hop on a plane. i am at a point where i can sometimes go to nearby places, half day trips. I'm kinda stuck being alone during the day. sometimes I'm okay, other times I'm just trying to get through until the husband gets home. all of this is worse in the mornings.

i would drive my husband nuts with all the travel and day trips i wanted to do and i used to crave taking days off and getting stuff done and being alone. i lived alone most of my adult life. i know the person i am now is not me but a person filled with fear. I'm blaming withdrawal for this and hope i will be back to who i am again once this is over. its going to take a lot of work to unravel this mess. :/

Trouper,

Your life prior to withdrawal sounds VERY MUCH like mine. I went out everyday, exploring, day trips that sometimes lasted overnight if I ventured out too far, etc. I didnt realize at the time that it was how I coped with the loss of my career and daily routine.

For me, the fear of travel and being alone comes in waves and is related to me spending extended periods of time in my house (very isolated, unpleasant, and trapped financially). It's hard for me to differentiate the two issues. I've made a few plane trips (one alone) and several trips with my husband in car or RV (3-4 hours on road). I think I may have some attachment issue. I tend to either need to be with him to travel or go the opposite extreme and need to be alone, possibly to build my confidence back..? It really throws my sense of progress.

I hope something in this will help you!

thank you so much for your reply, barbara :)

i really don't like being alone all day too much yet. i'm on medical leave and am just filling my days to get through until i heal more and can go back to work. i'm in this limbo state and the unknown future kind of makes it unstable or me. having not much to do makes my mind wander and makes spiraling down easier unfortunately.  i have stronger days and weaker days. i can drive around town by myself and run errands and go to appointments as long as i feel decent but i don't think i can go too far yet - i worry i will get in an icky wave and have trouble driving. i've discovered i am able to drive a lot more and a good distance when someone i trust is with me, and if i'm feeling okay. 

truthfully i'm hoping all this time alone is counting towards exposure therapy. :) 

i'm currently reading the mindfulness & acceptance workbook for anxiety by dr. john forsyth which i believe nikki mentioned somewhere. I'm not too far in but it looks promising. its based on acceptance & commitment therapy. 

Trouper said:

"i'm in this limbo state and the unknown future kind of makes it unstable or me. having not much to do makes my mind wander and makes spiraling down easier unfortunately"

Oh yes. :( ive been on disability since 2001 and am now struggling with the limbo state / unknown future more than ever in 13 years. A lot of that limbo / freefall / ungroundedness is withdrawal for me. It's a very distinct feeling that comes and goes.

well lets hope withdrawal is making it worse for both of us and it will pass. :)

I am very happy to report that the anxiety has lifted. It was hell. But I am free..... Of Xyprexa. Now I am starting the Setraline taper. I began adding heavy cardio exercise with my yoga. I took GABA and magnesium. I began to knit.

I got angry and that fueled my withdrawal strength. It helped me to push through. This site is a great great comfort.

Currently on .75mg of Risperdol

450 mg of Trileptal

600 mg of Lithium 

http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/anxiety_q_a.html

reading thru this and did it resonate with me.  gotta try it

After I got off Lexapro I have had the type of anxiety this man is talking about....the medicine I've taken since then didn't help.  They didn't change my thinking or how I handled anxiety.

When we try too hard to do ANYTHING, it seems to slip further from grasp. This includes to ridding oneself of unwanted thoughts. The more you "try" to push them away, the longer they linger and the stronger their impact. When we welcome and give room to unwanted thoughts, they lose their significance and quickly diminish. When you impose a false sense of importance upon a thought, it will often appear more serious t

Time again is a great healer concerning this condition. I allowed them to flow in and flow out and I didn’t react. When I did this, I noticed the scary thoughts seem to lose their scary edge. Stop fighting them, just say: come if you wish, I no longer care, you are not important.

Don’t ever tell yourself that you must not think these thoughts. Let all thoughts come; do not run away from any of them; see them for what they are, just thoughts, exaggerated because of the way you feel. They can do you no harm and they mean nothing. They won’t be around when you recover, so pay them no respect. The best way to alleviate these intrusive thoughts is to allow them their space by NOT trying to force them out.

Why not try following a negative/scary thought through and ask yourself, what’s the worst thing that could happen? Then ask yourself if it is really going to happen? Is this thought rational in any way? If you do this, you may find an answer to a thought you have been so frightened off, so that next time these thoughts enter your head, deep down inside there will be a part of you that can see them for what they really are and let them go.

I often get asked ‘How I do I stop thinking a certain way’, my answer is DON’T try, if it’s not important whether your thoughts are scary or not, why try to stop them, give them their space, this is the way to lose them. Fighting thoughts and trying to rid yourself of them is the wrong approach and a battle you will lose for sure, again you are fighting something that is totally normal in the circumstances. Don't think you are going crazy or try and fight or change the way you think.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

anxietynomore

It is site in the UK started by a man who suffered with anxiety for years.  He found a way out without medication.  I was introduced to the site by a friend on a UK site for safely getting off drugs.

He has a book which I purchased..A Life At Last by Paul David.

His message is alot like Claire Week's message.  There are blogs and a daily message.

I have been trapped in a haze of anxiety for years now as you know.  I am going to pursue this in the hopes of recovering.  A commitment I am making for me.

Here I am on two medicines for anxiety and I have anxiety every day.  Have not started the next taper....need to gather courage.

Hugs

by Paul David

The whole point was it was not about striving to feel good anymore, which had totally had the opposite effect and my whole day had been consumed by it. It was about accepting who I was and situations with utter acceptance. Some days would be good, some days would be bad, some situations would go well, some not so well, I would now try to be neutral to it all. I would stop ‘Trying’ to feel different, I would stop watching my own social performance, there would be no more inquest when things did not go as I wanted. But in time I got far more out of this statement when the meaning truly sunk in. I stopped worrying so much about future events, I stopped mentally going over things as much, I stopped living inside my head as much, wondering how I felt or how things were going. My mind felt clearer, my anxiety levels dropped.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Hey just sent you a PM....

Zoe when I am in a good state it is alot easier to practice self help techniques....when in a bad state it almost seems impossible so I was thinking to do alot of practicing so when the down time arrives I might be more inclined to remember what i have learned.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Hi Nikki

When I`m in a bad state I can not think straight or do anything that would make me feel better. I`m also unable to read so I listen to Claire Weekes`s audio CD. It helps. I have it in my car. It`s on my computer as mp3-files.

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy